You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Haven't taken the time to properly introduce myself.

11 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

Hey all, realize I've been here for a while but haven't taken the time to properly introduce myself. I'm pretty young compared to most of you, but this has been a good community overall and I'm glad to be part of it. A lot of people, including myself, get really frustrated when the kids are out of school, and when the casuals / weekend warriors are ruining the experience for us decent / good / superb players that want to play and do well. However, I assure you that despite my age I'm not one of them, that I really care about doing well and improving. So far I've managed to achieve a 52% solo win rate in random battles with a green, 1429 personal rating. My most played class are cruisers, with battleships not too far behind. It's taken a long time just to reach where I'm at now, and at 3860 solo battles (4000 total) I already feel like I've played for an eternity (registered back in 2015, didn't really get into the game until late 2016, took medium-length breaks), but then I look at many of your profiles that say you've played 6,000, 7000, 8000, some of you have over 10,000 battles. Wow, looks like I'm a greenhorn after all. I used to be a 48%-er player, and it's taken around 2200 battles just to break 50% solo win rate. This game looks easy but it's actually one of the more challenging games I've played. Easy to get into, hard to master, that's the recipe for a good game.

I was born, and spent the first five years of my life in Chongqing, China, which I still consider as my hometown. At the age of five I moved to Vancouver, Canada, where I finished elementary school. Parents divorced when I was 7, mom got custody (the norm in Western countries), and at the age of 11 I moved back to China with her and settled in a part of Beijing called Wangjing, basically the Koreatown of the city. I went to an international school because I obviously couldn't keep up with the extremely rigorous math and science curriculum of local Chinese schools. I think if I ended up going to a local school, I would have failed pretty much every subject except Chinese and English. During the part of my childhood spent in Vancouver, I wanted to be Western. I didn't exactly loathe my heritage, but I wasn't strongly attached to it either. I was envious of the more outgoing white, black, 2nd generation Asian, and even Indian kids in my class. I never really had lots of friends, I'd say only one or two. One of them is a Taiwanese friend that I see pretty often to this day, we happen to share an interest in history and military affairs. I wanted to become white, to assimilate into white culture, and enjoyed Western food more than Chinese. Of course I still enjoyed Chinese food, and the part of Metro Vancouver I grew up in has a dominant Chinese immigrant community (Richmond), but to become "local" was my goal. That fateful night in 2007, when I was told I'd be going back to China, little did I know that it would end up becoming the most important and formative years of my life up until now. I reconnected with my roots, got to live in a completely new (yet not exactly "new") country, and to put it short, broadened my horizons. Due to always speaking Chinese as a primary language, the native Chinese treated me as one of them from the very start. I wasn't treated with the sense of curiosity, even mystery, that an actual ABC / CBC might encounter. Nor was I treated with the stereotype of an overseas Chinese returnee being extremely successful, Westernized, etc. I was just treated as a local kid that happened to spend some time abroad, and naturally possessed language skills many native Chinese dreamed of. That was about as far as it went, and I like being treated normally rather than with any "special" attention. Six years went by, and although I really missed Vancouver in the first year or two, eventually I adjusted to life in mainland China and started enjoying it, although a big city like Beijing was / is FAR from my ideal home. Those six years reconnected me with my heritage, and I was able to eliminate much of the negativity about China conditioned into me by many ignorant Western media outlets and the general population. Sure, China has its issues (and increasingly severe issues) just like any other country, and I wouldn't say it's as easy to get into for a Westerner when compared to Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, perhaps even Japan and Korea (I know full integration into those two countries is REALLY hard), but if you're willing to take the time, and have a genuine love for Chinese culture, it will benefit you greatly. Of course, learning the language, as impossible as it may seem, will really pay off. China's a wonderful country that's so diverse, even I've yet to explore much of it. It rewards those that take the time and effort. If any of you EVER consider moving to China or moving abroad, take the time to befriend locals and not just live in a little expat bubble. The number of good women in China is dwindling, but I'm sure you can still find a good and sincere girl for marriage. As for many claims of Chinese women being hyper-materialistic, they[re greatly exaggerated. If you want to hear my opinion, I'd say it's true that many women in the big cities, and those who move to the big cities and become corrupted by the materialistic culture, definitely fall into this category. Then of course you have materialistic women that are just princesses and [edited] because they think they can get away with it. Plenty of good women in China, but I'd still advise you to act quickly because China's changing and not all of it is for the better.

After spending six years in my real home country, my return to Canada has been a real struggle. Now I find it difficult and less convenient living in the West. To give some examples, public transit in China is much more developed than in Canada (and I'm sure much of the US), because of China's huge population. Taxis are everywhere. Here I often have to call for a taxi. So many places in China are extremely accessible by foot, whereas much of North America (US and Canada) is built around the automobile. I don't drive, can't drive, and don't have a driver's license due to my mild autism symptoms and a general lack of interest. I thoroughly enjoy Chinese / Asian cuisine, it just feels natural to me. I don't eat fast food, don't eat processed foods, and to be perfectly honest, just the smell of many North American meals is repulsive to me. I'm not alone in feeling this way. I'd love to try some European cuisines though.

As for my interests, I'm a history buff including naval history. That's why I decided to play this game. I have a strong preference for ships that were actually built and served. I don't like paper ships / fantasy ships, and I know I'll be told that I'm missing out on a lot of good / fun ships. Who knows? Perhaps I'll get over this mental / psychological "barrier" (if "barrier" is an appropriate term). I'm not really picky about what nation I play, as long as I like the ship. However, one complaint I have is certain nations not using their correct naval flags. Japan needs the rising sun, Germany needs the KM swastika, the Pan-Asian ships need proper ROC, PRC, and ROK flags. I know it's because of "sensitivity issues" that some national flags aren't their accurate ones, but at least to me, it's silly how so many potatoes in terms of IQ are actually offended by these things being included in a video game. The rising sun flag, for example, is still used by the modern JMSDF. My home city, Chongqing, was heavily bombed by the Japanese Army Air Force during WWII. Many were forced to retreat to underground tunnels, where people died from suffocation due to heat and oftentimes trampled on each other. Those who didn't make it to the tunnels in time were left to die to the bombs and fires. The Japanese Empire and Nazi Germany were, without doubt, horrific entities. However, I feel no offense whatsoever at seeing the rising sun flag, and would very like to have it because I care more about historical authenticity than political correctness. We can't, and shouldn't deny history. What has happened is reality, and we can't pretend it never happened.I like history in general, I like world history but am still the most interested in Asian history. I also like music, art, movies, some anime (though certainly NOT the anime collaborations here in the game), gaming (I main RPGs and historical simulation games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms series), and wildlife. I'm all over the place. I am a foodie. I'd love to travel but haven't done much traveling so far. This sounds contradictory, but I'm also a homebody at the same time, and I feel most secure when I have a place and a person / a few people to call home. So far, not much has been achieved. I'm usually laid-back and shy, so if you want to see me more heated up, this game's one of the few places. :))

Not really into sports, and I'll tell you that gym culture is a very niche thing in China (not many can afford gym membership), and competitive sports in schools isn't nearly as celebrated. Currently I'm watching the World Cup. It's interesting that many of the major teams seem to be struggling in Mother Russia. Let's see what happens once we exit the group stage. I'm 5'10, wear glasses. When I was introduced to gaming, at the time the PS2 was still a thing. Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero were some of the first games I ever played. Also played some Final Fantasy, and Kessen 3. Then I got into MMOs with my main MMO being Atlantica Online, which I've played for 8 years (though now taking an extended break). It's taken me 7 years in Atlantica to reach a competitive level on the Titan league there, which is the highest level of PvP competition. My first character had a 34% PvP win rate, then I re-rolled and my current / only character has a 76% win rate. My other character that I deleted had an 81% win rate in PvP, but couldn't cut it in high divisions without spending lots of real money, so I eventually gave up. Atlantica is now P2W (unfortunately, I had to jump onto the P2W bandwagon) and it's been that way since NEXON acquired NDOORS, the developer company. Eventually NEXON drove the game to crap, and handed it to an obscure indy company called VALOFE. I also had stints in some other MMOs including the Chinese DFO (called DNF), Knight Online, Ace Online / Air Rivals, Dragon Nest, Fantasy Westward Journey (Chinese MMO based on classic novel Journey to the West), and a couple others. Managed to reach a competitive level in some of them but can't remember the details. I like the DW series too, and have read both Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the historical work Records of the Three Kingdoms. I read those in classical / archaic Chinese, but couldnt understand everything (how many modern English speakers can understand middle / old English well?) so I relied on the "translations" into modern vernacular Chinese.

It's taken me 7 years to reach a competitive level in Atlantica, and I'm a late bloomer when it comes to both games and IRL. I tend to be conservative and hesitant when it comes to new things / new experiences (not always a good thing, including this game.....), so definitely don't count on me to catch up with the latest trends in any short / medium period of time, if I ever do. I've played WOWS at a core level for less than two years, so I guess I still have time :)0 though I certainly hope it doesn't take that long. As of now I don't play the "competitive" modes like Ranked, Clan, or Team Battles. I always welcome feedback and support from players better than me, and feel no shame being outplayed by those of you who are better players. Maybe I'm just a slightly above average player now, but I know I have more potential. As a kid, I was certainly not one of the kids in this game that "plays for fun". Constantly failing and not giving a damn about he games I played was no excuse to me. I tried to learn the games and become at least somewhat decent at them. "I play casually" or "I play for fun" were never excuses I made for myself. Sometimes I feel really sad when "autistic" is thrown around in MOBA games as an insult, but if only some of these crap players knew that an individual with actual ASD symptoms (hypersensitive / compulsive) can STILL perform better than average and does not have their attitude, that shows how bad many of these players really are. Every time I play, I never fail to be baffled at just how these people can not only be so bad, but don't realize it and / or don't care.

Anyway. I apologize for a very long self-introduction, and I hope this game continues to be an enjoyable experience (for the most part) for me in the years to come. It's an outlet for my interest in history / ships. Before ships I was interested in military aircraft (still am). My very first specialized interest was in cranes, the ones used for construction. If you want to learn about Japanese and German aces, as well as other military topics like female USSR snipers, check out the books written by Japanese-American author Henry Sakaida. If you're interested in Chinese / Asian culture, both ancient and modern, I'll try to tell you as much as I know. I'm currently a light green player on WoWS Numbers (was light blue on WT), but I'll consistently improve and see where I can get. One of my favorite (newfound) ships so far is the Atlanta.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

Well welcome aboard, you and I will most likely since I am a PvE player mainly. And I am older than dirt - LOL:cap_haloween: 

I am former US Navy, I have been almost halfway around the world, I hope you will continue to improve your WTR.

Good Luck and Fair Seas:Smile_honoring:

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
6 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well welcome aboard, you and I will most likely since I am a PvE player mainly. And I am older than dirt - LOL:cap_haloween: 

I am former US Navy, I have been almost halfway around the world, I hope you will continue to improve your WTR.

Good Luck and Fair Seas:Smile_honoring:

Thanks lol. ^^ Best luck to you as well. :)) What was your job in the Navy and which places have you been stationed at?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Thanks lol. ^^ Best luck to you as well. :)) What was your job in the Navy and which places have you been stationed at?

I was what they call an Engineman my rank was 2nd Class Petty Officer (EN2) I worked on everything from Diesel Engines to Galley Equipment. I was home-ported in Little Creek, Va. and Norfolk, Va. but I have been to Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean.   

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

I was what they call an Engineman my rank was 2nd Class Petty Officer (EN2) I worked on everything from Diesel Engines to Galley Equipment. I was home-ported in Little Creek, Va. and Norfolk, Va. but I have been to Europe, Africa, and the Caribbean.   

Oh, interesting. Was there lots of math and stuff like that involved? I suck at these "technical" things.

[ASHIP]
Members
584 posts
5,218 battles

Man, that got quite personal. Thanks for sharing. :cap_like:

I think I can empathise because I had a somewhat similar experience of growing up between different countries. A complication is that the longer you live somewhere the more you notice the differences that exist within a country as well, especially for big/diverse places like the US or (I imagine) China. For me it was always a mark of pride to be different; as my grandmother always says: Better different than one of you. I ended up always being whatever wasn't normal: In the US I was British, in the UK I was German, and in Germany I was American ('ein Ami' as they'd say in Bavaria). That said, I understand the feeling of wanting to be normal. Some of the best parts of my childhood were when I was considered as one of the locals, and even though I come from many different places, they are all 'western' and so fairly similar. It's just that I always have a sense that if I become too familiar with a place; too comfortable, that I'll end up atrophying a bit; becoming sloppy. In the end, I just enjoy being slightly different too much to ever be just normal for any length of time.

PS: Your english writing is pretty good though. Certainly better than my german.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Oh, interesting. Was there lots of math and stuff like that involved? I suck at these "technical" things.

Yeah, there was now I am a security officer and I do not have to deal with all that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,180 posts
8,786 battles

Welcome aboard and get off my lawn! :Smile-_tongue:

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,176 battles

Good luck and have fun, thanks for the background.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,802 posts
18,744 battles

Hi Grand_Viceroy_Zho  Been seeing you on the forum often . I'm also older then dirt  I'm a Navy vet (four years) of active duty during the cold war years. I joined because the Army tried to Draft me. I visited half the world with the Destroyer I was on. Seen Scotland. England . Norway. Denmark, Germany where I visited family from my moms side also the Berlin wall. Steamed through the English channel saw the white cliffs of dover on my right which is England and to my left the port side of my ship is France both country's only twenty miles apart on our way to South-Hampton England . We steamed into the Mediterranean and on my left port side was Spain and on my right was Africa also only twenty miles apart.  

We  stopped off at Gadiz Spain and then Barcelona Spain which is a beautiful city by the way. A group of us on liberty call went to the Bull-Fights there and watched Seven bulls get killed quite an experience. Oh and by the way Barcelona was the city that Christopher Columbus returned to when he discovered the new world.

Then we steamed over to Naples Italy for a few days . Our group of Sailors took a bus to visit the city of Rome with a tour guide , Visited the colosseum , the Vatican  and other famous sites . this all happen to me as a young man in 1970 during the cold war.

In 1971 we were lucky enough to visit Islands in the Caribbean Sea. Guantanamo bay navel base, San Juan Puerto Rico and some of the virgin Islands like Saint Thomas and Haiti and Montego Bay Jamaica. then we stopped off at Cartagena Colombia went through the Panama Canal and stooped off at Panama city headed south in the Pacific Ocean to Lima Peru then further south to Valparaiso Chile after that we headed further south into the Straight's of Magallanes which took three day to head back into the Atlantic Ocean up to Buenos Aires Argentina . Note In June it's winter time for them in Chile . 

Next stop Sao Paulo Brazil and Rio De Janeiro where the flamingo beach was absolutely beautiful went water skiing for the first and only time in my life and did not fall, I did pretty good to my surprise . Then we stopped off at Caracas Venezuela for three days. That country has the strongest beer I've ever had it was called Polar Beer I believe it had 12% Alcohol after drinking about six of them in the bar I couldn't walk straight once you hit the heat outside the bar. We refueled our Destroyer and headed back to our Naval Base in Newport Rode Island.    

Years Back I use to play the Koei version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Koei Genghis Khan II plus the old Civilization five games where I would choose Genghis Khan as my empire. Great game.    

I was born in Germany 50 km from Munich four years after WW2.there wasn't much left. I was four years old when my parents flew to America and in my eyes the BEST country in the world and proud to be an American . I've seen a lot of foreign country's in my life-time and I remember as a young man visiting them and saying to myself thank god I live in America. I don't feel that our young people realize how much freedom they have and what a great nation it truly is .

Anyway I think I said too much and it's nice meeting you.....I remember saluting the ensign and then the officer on watch requesting permission to come on board for the first time after boot camp on my Destroyer in Boston and my ship was in Dry dock at the time with the historical ship and still in commission behind us in the water the  (USS Constitution) that was some experience for a kid who turned 19 years while in Great leaks Illinois Navel boot camp …..