You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
yacskn

The Cantankerous Nature Of The Player Base

82 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles

I know I'm not the only one who has a gripe with this issue and it is the fact that an overwhelming majority of you would more happily report a person than compliment him/her for good performance and/or manners.

Untitled_zpsf0ud8nig.png

This was just an example of a battle in which I didn't even use the chat apart from a joke at the start.

If I had said some words that hurt someone's feelings, I would probably have gotten report-bombed. Yet no one compliments a player after a battle like this.

Why is it so hard for you to appreciate when someone has done something good? I always try to compliment those who have managed to score over 2000 XP, if I have any left to give. I bet my hair most of you don't even use 1/3 of yours on any given day.

Try to be more kind and generous people. By god, this game needs it so f%#king badly.

Edited by yacskn
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 4

[BIAS]
Members
3,049 posts
9,037 battles

I told you gg in chat on Saturday and didn't get a reply, so.... I might have even given you a compliment, can't remember, I give them out all the time so...

Edited by Ducky_shot

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

Happens all the time.

Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
10 minutes ago, yacskn said:

I bet my hair most of you don't even use 1/3 of yours on any given day.

Pretty much...

Very rarely personally witness anything worth using them on, much less anything like the game in the OP.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles

So I may be a little buzzed from knocking off my fifth pint, but let me get this straight.

The OP is PO'd about his teammates not complimenting him for his performance? I mean GG and all, but that sounds a wee bit... what's the word I'm looking for people?

tumblr_ok0wukn5d81rwv3cuo2_500.gif

Members
567 posts
75 battles

I don't compliment or report anyone. Once you reach the age of reason and realize that the system provides no benefit for increased karma nor punishment for lower karma, wasting even a microscopic fraction of a second on it is an act of lunacy. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[TBW]
Members
6,353 posts
11,894 battles
15 minutes ago, yacskn said:

I bet my hair most of you don't even use 1/3 of yours on any given day.

I you are talking about me, you can break out the shears and start shaving. If it's long you can donate it for kids with cancer. I use almost all of my compliments every day I play. I wonder why I don't have more.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/best-places-to-donate-hair-4158753

Best Organizations for Hair Donation

Locks of Love is one organization synonymous with hair donation, but it is the not the only one you can choose to support. In fact, you may find that a Locks of Love donation is not the right fit for your hair, so it is essential to do your researchThe top six hair donation organizations, as far as popularity and impact, include:

These are not the only options for hair donations, but they are national donor organizations, which means you can donate from anywhere. If you want to make a local impact, you can search for local hair donation organizations or drives, or ask your local cancer chapter how best to donate.

• Funny 2

[WOLF4]
Members
78 posts
4,479 battles

You were in an Atlanta.  People hate the Atlanta.  You may have been complimented 3 times and been reported 3 times and you wouldn't know any of it.  But expect a net karma decrease when cruising in the Atlanta.

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
378 posts
4,301 battles

I just hard carried epicenter, tears of the cruiser.  Got nothing.  I was in the Roon for the third time, wound up on the enemy's side for most of the game, by myself, flushing out lots of campers and torping a BB or two and then got called a coward and lost 2 rep points because we lost.

Nature of the beast i suppose.

[TBW]
Members
6,353 posts
11,894 battles
2 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Yes. I was talking specifically about you when I said "most people".

You got me, I am not like most people.

Members
2,216 posts
4,051 battles
11 minutes ago, Paulbearer82 said:

You were in an Atlanta.  People hate the Atlanta.  You may have been complimented 3 times and been reported 3 times and you wouldn't know any of it.  But expect a net karma decrease when cruising in the Atlanta.

I agree. I only really compliment actions taken by the red team against me. And not once have I ever considered an ATL; usually hiding behind the same rock as every other ATL you see spewing his little HE in every direction he can. As worthy of said compliment.

"Eat my broken fire mechanic, muhahahaha". Ya no.

• Cool 1

Members
2,230 posts
6,194 battles

I try to use all 11 of my compliments every day i'm on: anyone who gets a Kraken regardless of team gets one from me as well as people who are witty/funny and sporting in chat... or if I just see a friend I'll throw a compliment their way.

• Cool 1

Members
3,647 posts
13,511 battles
1 hour ago, yacskn said:

Try to be more kind and generous to people. By god, this game needs it so f%#king badly.

Pat.gif.691099e78a6ae33125193dabfec92749.gif

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, yacskn said:

What is wrong with you? Why is it so hard for you to recognise that someone has done something good?

It's a naval game and in the ocean there's so much more salt than sugar... I got a kraken last night on Okhotnik and got reported for it:Smile_teethhappy: Who cares... 

You can't force everyone to compliment you. I personally usually compliment a player who was fighting by my side and helped me in one way or the other. I wouldn't just give compliments to the top player in the team. Maybe they got good base XP by kill stealing, or maybe just by sitting at the back and sniping in a Conq? That doesn't justify a praise.

Edited by geser98

[TF57]
Members
1,250 posts
3,920 battles

I don't compliment or report anyone. Once you reach the age of reason and realize that the system provides no benefit for increased karma nor punishment for lower karma, wasting even a microscopic fraction of a second on it is an act of lunacy. 

Theoretically, you are correct.

However, it does often trigger the irrational (which IS a majority of the playerbase) who attach meaning to the meaningless.

For example, imagine if some folk had downvoted the OP? :Smile_teethhappy:

I enjoy the karma system.

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I rarely finish a session with any reports or compliments in the bank - though I must admit that there are days in which I use all the reports first - ha ha!

I don't think there's anything wrong with complimenting a player on a strong performance, thanking a team mate for assisting you in a tough situation, or a group of players that pulled a match out, against the odds.

But thats how I roll - not everyone is going to agree, or feel its worth their time - no problem.

I don't worry - or even give much thought - to my karma number - but its rare that I don't notice a compliment after I've had a good match.  Far from not getting participation ribbons, as a child - I was somewhat driven to bring home trophies  and medals, and did so in a number of sports and disciplines.  I do believe its that personality type that cares about accolade, even on such a minor scale as a post match compliment.  And I freely admit that i am of that type.

I often wish that when the compliment logged, it let you know if it was from a teammate or foe.

Whatever - it is what it is - I only wish I had more to pass around in the session!

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,998 posts

Competence does not deserve a compliment, that's a bare minimum for you not getting a report.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,240 posts
3,086 battles

I happily give compliments to people in game. 

However, I don't typically give them to people who top the scoreboard, playing well. I tend to give mine to the people who were having a fun time in chat, and who had a great rapport with everyone in the game. You know, the people who improved the game for everyone involved, no matter the team. I like these sorts of people, and show my appreciation through complimenting them. 

Anyone can get to the top of the scoreboard. Hell, I'm normally the one sitting there for my team. I'd rather compliment someone who made me laugh or made me feel camaraderie.

• Cool 3

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
18 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Competence does not deserve a compliment, that's a bare minimum for you not getting a report.

You get reported by the red team for competence :Smile_teethhappy: 

• Funny 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Atlanta has a base exp multiplier, so it is not difficult to get above 2000 base exp per game.

I do compliment players; not on their end base score, but on their teamwork. They might be last on the leaderboard, but if they use chat and help you out it is a +1.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
207 posts
2,337 battles

Welcome to the World, people are on the whole a mixed lot. Many are looking for someone to look down, many are also happy to do good, many simply dont care about you and what your doing unless it affects them

Community Department
2,027 posts
512 battles

In the end of day I usually have no complimets left, even if I play two or three battles a day.
There are moments and actions (even if it's a member of an enemy team) in every battle which deserve to be complemented. Take it easy it's only a game. By analogy with "Likes" in social media you have nothing from them unless good mood. You even don't need to write anything in chat, only a couple of clicks needed, so why not?

[R-F]
Members
395 posts
14,343 battles
1 hour ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Anyone can get to the top of the scoreboard.

Sure. But there's a difference between getting to the top of the scoreboard and carrying the team to a win. I happen to think the latter is praise-worthy.

1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Atlanta has a base exp multiplier, so it is not difficult to get above 2000 base exp per game.

No, it doesn't. The XP score on the board is the bare minimum for everyone, premium or no. You're thinking of the premium multiplier that get's added TO the base XP, the one that can be seen in the earnings page.

6 minutes ago, turbo07 said:

In the end of day I usually have no complimets left, even if I play two or three battles a day.
There are moments and actions (even if it's a member of an enemy team) in every battle which deserve to be complemented. Take it easy it's only a game. By analogy with "Likes" in social media you have nothing from them unless good mood. You even don't need to write anything in chat, only a couple of clicks needed, so why not?

I don't really care about the compliment. Never have. It's the hypocrisy that bothers me. Some people complain -both in-game and here in the forums- that there aren't enough reports allocated for a day because there are so many bad players. Yet they are mighty frugal when it comes to dishing out some of those compliments. Whatever their reason may be.

If you're gonna report them when they play bad, you should also compliment them when they play well. But that's just me.

Edited by yacskn

[VFW]
Members
906 posts
20,764 battles
5 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

The Karma system is there not to benefit you personally.   Think of it more as a way to show appreciation or displeasure in a players performance...a courtesy if you will.   It's like in everyday interactions with people, saying thank you or giving someone a smile cost you nothing, but maybe the person on the receiving end appreciates the gesture.  

Just a different view verses the "what's in it for me" view.

VR, 

• Cool 1