You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

7 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
Supertester
32 posts
8,303 battles

Name: Hood298px-Hood_wows_main.jpg.a82fdbe5517cae8d2e982f5c2fe190e6.jpg
Ship type: battlecruiser
Class: Admiral
Nation: United Kingdom
Tier: VII

Greetings fellow captains, supreme overlords, and dispersion divinities. Today, in the third installment of Naval Intelligence, I bring you one of Britain's icons of World War II and the inter-war period, the premium Tier VII British battlecruiser: Hood.

My objective is to inform players about a different, and factual piece of information that hopefully will aid you in deciding whether to purchase this ship or not. This review will go over its history briefly, her in-game characteristics, and other factors such as aesthetics, modules, and what you can expect if you so decide to give her a place in your port.

History

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill

The ship belonged to a class of four battlecruisers known as the Admiral-120814020554-hood-port-horizontal-large-gallery.thumb.jpg.79910427837843348e57890b6e452a79.jpgclass. Hood was the sole representative to be completed once the other three members -Howe, Rodney, and Anson- were canceled.

Hood 's keel was laid down on September 1st, 1916 by John Brown & Co. in Clydebank, Scotland. She was launched on August 22th, 1918, and she entered service on May 15th, 1920. For twenty years, Hood remained as the world's largest and most powerful warship in the world.

Her design was the result of maximizing a battlecruiser's traits (light armor, high speed, and battleship guns) while considering the occurrences regarding the Royal Navy's battlecruisers -three months prior to Hood's construction- during the Battle of Jutland. 

Two of the most significant adjustments made to the design, thanks to the loss of 3 battlecruisers at Jutland, was the increase in thickness of the main armor belt to 305 mm (12 in), and the internal armor plating that protected the forward magazines. This addition in weight plagued Hood with a lower freeboard, which attained her several nicknames such as: "Largest Submarine in the Fleet", "HMS Wobbly", and "The Seven B's" ("Britain's Biggest Bull*****ingest B***ard Built By Brown").

Throughout the inter-war period, Hood saw extensive service as the flagship of the Battlecruiser Squadron of the Atlantic Fleet and became the Royal Navy's poster boy (or girl, depending on personal perspective) due to her size, media coverage, and inter-war actions. She took part in a worldwide cruise which lasted from late 1923 to 1925, the purpose of the cruise was to project British naval power and influence to other countries and colonies (something that came to be known as "gunboat diplomacy"). Throughout her service, the ship became the pride of Britain and the Royal Navy, being appropriately referred to colloquially as "The Mighty Hood".

After the cruise ended, she was refitted from 1929 to 1931 and continued to go on cruises5b286c06d16a6_HMSHoodCranston.jpg.27bea6c8c17c05dd5538925b25e4bbe8.jpg, training, and minor refits. Through the 1930's, Hood's dire need of a major refit and modernization became apparent (such as her power plant's diminishing performance and the crew's inability to wash and bathe due to the fresh water evaporators being redirected to the boilers). She was scheduled to enter drydock in 1941 for a significant refit; however, the outbreak of World War II altered her fate in history.

In 1940, Hood became the flagship of Force H and participated in the destruction of the French fleet that was docked at Mers-el-Kébir, French Algeria (present day: Algeria). She scored four 15" shell hits on the French battleship Dunkerque and was straddled in return by the same ship. Once the operation ended, Hood returned to Scapa Flow where she was replaced by Renown as the flagship of Force H. She participated in a couple of sorties without much success afterward.

In honesty, Hood's recognition and popularity stem from the wrong reasons. During the Battle of the Denmark Strait, Hood, alongside the much newer battleship HMS Prince of Wales, was ordered to intercept the German battleship Bismarck and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. Hood's participation in the engagement was brief, after one of Bismarck's 15" shells struck the leading battlecruiser and provoked a series of events which can, in majority, only be speculated upon; however, most theories converge on the idea of the German shell hitting Hood's after magazines and producing a jet of fire that erupted near the mainmast of the ship. The subsequent blast resulted in a fatal explosion that claimed Hood herself and most of her crew. Only three crewmen survived.

Specifications

“Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral”  - Melvin Kranzberg

Hood was powered by 24 Yarrow oil-fired boilers and 4 Brown-Curtis turbines. Her power output was rated at 144,000 shaft horsepower and produced a speed of 32 knots at the time of her commission; however, the lack of a major refit and meticulous repairs decreased her speed to 29 knots. HMS Hood.jpg

She was armed with eight 381 mm (15")/42 BL Mk I rifles that were capable of firing a shell every 30 seconds. Her secondary armament comprised of fourteen 102 mm (4.01") QF Mk XVI dual-purpose guns on seven dual mounts (in-game their range as a secondary armament and an anti-aircraft gun is 5 kilometers, with an average damage of 65.8). The anti-aircraft suite on Hood was additionaly composed of twenty-four 40 mm QF 2pdr -also known as "Pom-Poms"- that were mounted on three sets of eight barrels  (in-game range and average damage: 2.49 km, and 59.4); for close range she possessed four quadruple 12.7 mm Vickers Mk III machine guns (range/damage: 1.2 km/8.4), and finally she had the experimental UP AA Rocket Launcher Mark I -this particular armament was deemed inefficient and potentially dangerous by the Royal Navy- it never shot down any aircraft but in-game they possess a range of 1.5 kilometers and an average damage of 50 (though their historical range is 305 meters/1,000 feet).

In the tradition of World War I warship design, Hood was also equipped with six 533 mm (21") torpedo tubes that were fixed in the hull. Four of the tubes, two on each side, were mounted above the waterline and remained onboard the ship until her demise in 1941. Meanwhile, the remaining two torpedo tubes were submerged and located near the "A" turret, but they were removed in 1937.

Hood's essence is that of a battlecruiser, and her armor scheme reflects this. Her main armor belt is 305 mm (12") thick and is mostly underwater while being covered by her torpedo bulges which provide most of the ship with a torpedo damage reduction of 18%. Above the main belt, Hood's thinner armor belts can be found: the one directly on top of the main belt has a thickness of 178 mm and is relatively small when it is compared to her 127 mm (5") belt that ends at the weather deck. 

Internally, Hood's armor is also reminiscent of a World War I capital ship. Her citadel has a turtle back armor scheme which increases the protection of her vital parts at close range -though not as effectively as her German counterparts- and reduces her armor's effectiveness at long range due to plunging fire. Hood's citadel armored deck slopes have a raw thickness of 51 mm and are sloped inward.

The battlecruiser's deck protection is also inherited from World War I designs. 5b286c69f3471_Hoodarmorprofile.thumb.jpg.c5ee7a789c84154c20b6670df3919989.jpgHer deck armor thickness is distributed among two decks in-game: the weather deck near the bow and the stern share a thickness of 25 mm, while the midships section has 51 mm. Her citadel's deck armor can be sectioned in two parts: machinery and magazines. The machinery spaces such as the engine rooms are protected by 38 mm near the centerline, and 51 mm on the sides; while the magazines of the main battery turrets are shielded by 76 mm of armor -with small portions near the ends of the front and after sections being protected by 108 mm and 127 mm respectively.

In all, Hood's armor scheme is sufficient to make angling possible and shield the ship from cruiser-like armaments, but it gives out easily against high-caliber guns when showing a poorly angled broadside to enemy battleships. Her bow and stern are covered by 25 mm of plating; however, small 127 mm and 152 mm plates can be found next to the main belts (these can be used to bounce enemy shells through angling, but the Hood's captain should not actively look for close range engagements against capital ships of any kind.

Playstyle

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” - Bruce Lee

Hood's style resembles that of Kongo's. To players of the Japanese battleship line, this comes to no surprise, as both vessels were designed as battlecruisers; ships equipped with battleship guns, relatively light armor, and a powerful array of boilers and turbines to give them a speed advantage over contemporary battleships. 

One must make the most of the battlecruiser's armament of eight 15" guns and their 800px-HoodPort.png.0ff55848fc92e550bfdc20ef5ae456b4.png armor-piercing (AP) shells which have a short arm time, a maximum damage of 11,400 points, and a slow shell velocity of 731.5 meters per second which is shared with the guns' high-explosive (HE) shells. Hood's HE shells are respectable; possessing a 34% fire chance, a maximum damage of 5,300 points. Unlike most battleships of the Royal Navy, these HE shells are not subject to the 1/4 HE penetration rule. The lack of this rule provides Hood's 381 mm HE shells with a standard penetration value of 63 mm

Further, the battlecruiser's speed must be used wisely in maneuvers and fleet operations; such as a push or taking a defensive position. Her turning circle of 910 meters, accompanied by a rudder shift of 13.4 seconds and large dimensions make her commander think ahead of their maneuvers, and opt for open waters which allow the usage of Hood's speed and rudder shift.

Related to the previous paragraph, the spotting of opportunities and potential flanks alongside friendly cruisers must be prioritized. Her short-fuzed AP shells make her an effective counter to enemy cruisers and lightly armored battleships; however, the shells' short fuze is also one of her weaknesses since they are unreliable at penetrating main armor belts at any range (most times they will shatter or bounce). The correct shell usage and proper aiming are necessary to obtain high damage games with the Hood.

Her AA suite on its own is not impressive, but Hood has access to a unique Defensive AA Fire consumable that multiplies her UP Rocket's average damage by x25. But more on this consumable on the following section.

Consumables

Consumable_PCY009_CrashCrewPremium.png.c17298ea363ee2292b4fdd2423e75876.pngConsumable_PCY010_RegenCrewPremium.png.3039ac458b29e3513263d2a77da64097.pngConsumable_PCY011_AirDefenseDispPremium.png.6a04972e3987350e40481d7b1e561ff0.png

“The more you leave out, the more you highlight what you leave in.”  - Henry Green

Hood comes equipped with standard British Damage Control Party and Repair Party consumables. The Repair Party is similar to those found on equal, and lower tier Royal Navy battleships. Additionally, Hood has access to a special Defensive Fire AA consumable that multiplies her short range aura -comprised of her rocket launchers- by 25 times for 60 seconds. This translates to an impressive 1,250 average damage while using stock values, and it can be enhanced by Advanced Firing Training, Basic Firing Training, AA Guns Modification 2 Upgrade, and the November Echo Setteseven signal flag.

Aesthetics

“Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated.” - Paul Rand

Her sleek, long, and lean hull make her a sight to behold. The superstructure is an interesting blend between World War I and inter-war designs. The funnels of Hood also project this peculiar idea that she possesses a massive power plant and can stretch her legs when she's needed to do so (that is if ships have legs... but that is a topic for another day or a more laid back discussion).

Conclusion

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”  - Albert Einstein

Personally, I quite enjoy her, especially considering her historical significance and the recognition from the 800px-HoodNC.png.7f97e088f5e6f32791233576d268f1ed.pngH.M.S. Hood Association that this premium ship has. She is a formidable team member when used correctly, not as a brawler, but as a flanker and an opportunist that can hit hard and fight hard. 

Her presence in a match also allows for some light-hearted banter to take place between the teams at the start of a battle. And what better way to honor the real HMS Hood by making conscience about her through playing her in-game and getting to know her story and rise as a naval legend.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

Phantom out.

References

Due to my circumstance, I must make do with electronic sources and screenshots from other players or the wiki itself.

Edited by PhantomXT
Fixed an inconsistency with her HE shells.
  • Cool 12

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,653 posts
9,964 battles
1 hour ago, PhantomXT said:

One must make the most of the battlecruiser's armament of eight 15" guns and their 800px-HoodPort.png.0ff55848fc92e550bfdc20ef5ae456b4.png armor-piercing (AP) shells which have a short arm time, a maximum damage of 11,400 points, and a slow shell velocity of 731.5 meters per second which is shared with the guns' high-explosive (HE) shells. Hood's HE shells are respectable; possessing a 34% fire chance, a maximum damage of 5,300 points, and are subject to the 1/4 HE penetration rule which is also applied to the rest of the Royal Navy battleships. The use of this rule provides Hood's 381 mm HE shells with a penetration value of 95 mm

It's worth adding that Hood's AP has another advantage - better autobounce angles. Her AP will only start to autobounce at 67.5, not 60'. Meaning if she hits plating >25mm in that 60-67.5' angle she has a chance to penetrate.

On the downside her HE is poor in my view. I'm pretty confident that she does not get the 1/4 HE penetration of the main line and Nelson, her 5,300 compares poorly to the 6,300 of Queen Elizabeth and her fire chance is slightly lower.

Even with 1/4 HE penetration I would not advise firing HE with Hood in practically any circumstances. The HE damage is poor, the ship is designed around her AP and she exists at T7 with mostly T5-T7 matchmaking where she overmatches all external plating.

It's a nice write up though and I like the format, but those would be my niggles.

[BUNNY]
Supertester
32 posts
8,303 battles
15 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

@PhantomXT GG! Nice write up! You should apply for a wiki editor role! 

Thank you! I will consider it.

15 hours ago, mofton said:

It's worth adding that Hood's AP has another advantage - better autobounce angles. Her AP will only start to autobounce at 67.5, not 60'. Meaning if she hits plating >25mm in that 60-67.5' angle she has a chance to penetrate.

On the downside her HE is poor in my view. I'm pretty confident that she does not get the 1/4 HE penetration of the main line and Nelson, her 5,300 compares poorly to the 6,300 of Queen Elizabeth and her fire chance is slightly lower.

Even with 1/4 HE penetration I would not advise firing HE with Hood in practically any circumstances. The HE damage is poor, the ship is designed around her AP and she exists at T7 with mostly T5-T7 matchmaking where she overmatches all external plating.

It's a nice write up though and I like the format, but those would be my niggles.

I’ll have to run some tests on Hood’s HE. If she’s not subject to the 1/4 rule, then her penetration number is at 63 mm. I will get back to you once I conduct some tests in a training room.

Thank you for the observations on her shells!

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
1,641 battles
17 hours ago, PhantomXT said:

Lengthy Review

A few notes about her armor.  51mm deck armor is the magic number in WoWS for 203mm HE, even from Germans, to be unable to penetrate.  Combined with her sides which are armored beyond that all the way up to the deck, Hood is very resistant to CA/CL He spam.  Her side armor also allows her to bounce all AP shells, even from Musashi, when angled, something most Tier VII BBs don't have going for them.  Her good turret angles make this easier too.

[DRACS]
Members
3,339 posts

I know there are many who don't like this ship, but I'm personally a big fan (despite earlier being a critic). Hood has become my go to ship when I want to have solid easy matches. Her guns are a lot more reliable that I had originally believed. You just have to know where to aim. You can't citadel other battleships. Not happening. Just deal with it and move on. On the other hand, her short fuze means she is much likelier to land regular pens than overpens when shells hit BB upper belts and superstructures. So landing 10k+ salvos on BBs is surprisingly easy ... assuming her shells land. 1.8 sigma on 8 guns is kinda meh at tier 7. I personally wish her guns were slightly more accurate ... except that could be a problem because -

Hood is *fantastic* against enemy cruisers. Her short fuze means that shells rarely overpen and she can absolutely melt cruisers because of it. I have more dev strikes on cruisers on this ship than any other. Against DDs, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Her secondaries are virtually non existent, but the short fuze of her AP means those shells are more likely to stick. Again, dispersion RNG throwing you a bone.

Most of all, I find Hood *comfortable*. She's exceptionally tanky because of her armor layout, she's fast, she has a very responsive rudder, and her turrets turn quickly. You tell her to do something, she just does it. You need to angle and tank against even tier 9 BBs? No problem. You need to disengage quickly and go dark? No problem. Even when caught showing her side, her submerged and mildly turtlebacked citadel means that while she can take a lot of regular pen damage, she doesn't eat citadels all that much. Not so good in this respect as German BBs, but a lot better than IJN or USN ones. Hood is a safe ship and very forgiving of mistakes. That being said, don't sail broadside in her. She has great turret angles. Use them.

Also, another tip: Get Propulsion Mod 2 on her. I know that sounds un-intuitive, but trust me on this one. Her rudder is already excellent, but that rapid acceleration on a ship with such a great max speed can't be understated. I stop and go a lot on this ship and I'm often racing past cruisers at the start of the match. Hood is *fast*. Don't get bogged down. Take advantage of that speed.

[BUNNY]
Supertester
32 posts
8,303 battles

@mofton I’ve finally run some tests regarding her HE. It is true that her shells are not ruled by the 1/4 rule. The review has been changed accordingly, thanks! :Smile_honoring:

2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

A few notes about her armor.  51mm deck armor is the magic number in WoWS for 203mm HE, even from Germans, to be unable to penetrate.  Combined with her sides which are armored beyond that all the way up to the deck, Hood is very resistant to CA/CL He spam.  Her side armor also allows her to bounce all AP shells, even from Musashi, when angled, something most Tier VII BBs don't have going for them.  Her good turret angles make this easier too.

It is true that her midships armor plating is strong; however, I think her large dimensions are a mild weakness when engaging at close ranges. Which is why I advice not to close in that much.

1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Also, another tip: Get Propulsion Mod 2 on her. I know that sounds un-intuitive, but trust me on this one. Her rudder is already excellent, but that rapid acceleration on a ship with such a great max speed can't be understated. I stop and go a lot on this ship and I'm often racing past cruisers at the start of the match. Hood is *fast*. Don't get bogged down. Take advantage of that speed.

I currently have it on mine. It’s an interesting alternative that can also prove useful when you’re in a bad spot (i.e. torpedoes).

• Cool 1