You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

Iron, Coal... just not a good idea

92 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
173 posts
16,690 battles

This is an opinion I obviously haven't dealt with it directly yet since its not in game.  But I think its a bad idea.    I feel like WG is making new currency because they hyper inflated the old stuff.   Oil is an example of a short term fun clans had then it simply died hard.  No one talks about oil.     Anyone who plays a lot, has premium time we can burn silver.  theres so much of it.   Its like FreeXP to me I just get so much of it but I play a lot.

That being said having more and more currently types I do not think is good for the game.  Its to much to manage and I think its only in so they can deal with hyper inflation or pay to win/dabloons IF they allowed you to convert for things like black/flint etc.   I don't think those ships are OP but I don't like that reward ships are now purchasable.

I have seen this type of stuff in other games so I don't feel like its a positive thing.  What you guys think?

• Cool 7
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

I'm not convinced yet that it's a good thing, but *hyper-inflation* ??  No.

Also, vote:

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I somewhat agree. I'd rather they just do stuff like the Yamamoto/Halsey campaigns. No currency, just a list of things you have to do to get the special reward.

• Cool 4

[PNP]
Members
391 posts
2,829 battles

I think it will be fine. It won't hyperinflate anything in my opinion. Sure, there will be missions that can give up these currencies, but WG won't be dumb enough to shower us with iron and coal.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles

Everything is fine. It'll take longer to get those ships with steel than it would have to rank out the required number of times. Everything is fine.

Queue meme.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
38 minutes ago, deresistance said:

This is an opinion I obviously haven't dealt with it directly yet since its not in game.  But I think its a bad idea.    I feel like WG is making new currency because they hyper inflated the old stuff.   Oil is an example of a short term fun clans had then it simply died hard.  No one talks about oil.     Anyone who plays a lot, has premium time we can burn silver.  theres so much of it.   Its like FreeXP to me I just get so much of it but I play a lot.

That being said having more and more currently types I do not think is good for the game.  Its to much to manage and I think its only in so they can deal with hyper inflation or pay to win/dabloons IF they allowed you to convert for things like black/flint etc.   I don't think those ships are OP but I don't like that reward ships are now purchasable.

I have seen this type of stuff in other games so I don't feel like its a positive thing.  What you guys think?

I can already picture WGing's response.

kirkslappinghimself.gif

Edited by Sventex

[BBC]
Members
907 posts
12,223 battles

ill be getting 42000 coal and 5k steel at patch time !  what could i get !

[SYN]
Members
4,520 posts
11,433 battles
42 minutes ago, deresistance said:

I'm not convinced about the "hyper-inflation" part.  Just don't see that being a thing here.

Though I'm also not convinced about the new currencies, either.  Read about it and was like, "...meh.  I guess."  It all seems contrived, to gloss some kind of superficial "value" to playing the game.  I mean, was it even necessary?

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,073 battles
50 minutes ago, deresistance said:

I don't think those ships are OP but I don't like that reward ships are now purchasable.

100% agreed

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles

for the first time in my life,i see grown adults mad about coal.

• Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
7 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

for the first time in my life,i see grown adults mad about coal.

Never heard of Greenpeace?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles

I don't really care one way or another about coal & steel. I have tons of credits and nothing I want to buy. I have a bunch of doubloons and nothing to buy. My clan has lots of oil and nothing to buy with it. I have a hoard of free xp and nothing I want to buy with it... I imagine the same will be true of the new resources. The only thing I bother gathering is Elite XP and even then I am only semi interested in doing that. 

Honestly instead of adding more crap to the game, I wish they would fix what is already in the game that needs fixing, finish the last of the clan bases stuff, and work on making the game more interesting like more maps (for instance). 

• Cool 5

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,645 posts
9,957 battles

Buy crates with money, get oil, oil gets you coal.

Use coal to buy combat signals.

P2W.

Buying 10-pt special captains was the first step, this is the second.

[WORX]
Members
1,623 posts
12,629 battles

I disagree, I mean from what I seen in PTS, coal and steel is a deal changer in the economic front. When used correctly The Arsenal can not only be a source for ships, but for much needed credits if your low. THAT to me is what I see as something  a brand new option in supporting your ships port needs. I myself am excited about it, I really don;t see a bad point in the new commodities.

Yes they have neglected OIL its a fact, BUT what I have seen for the future of clan port expansion. I am more then happy to hoard OIL until those features come live. Maybe that is why I haven't left my clan to became independent again, I've seen the future and I like it. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,032 posts
12,507 battles
2 minutes ago, mofton said:

10 oil per crate. 5 coal per oil.

Only 4800 crates for Salem, so for the low, low price of about $14,000, you too can P2W your way to a juicy Tier X mehbote.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

P2W

That only works for another week.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
19 minutes ago, mofton said:

P2W.

Buying 10-pt special captains was the first step, this is the second.

Why does this have to be so convoluted...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,623 posts
521 battles

I honestly hate it when games start using 100,000 different types of currency with different means of obtaining each of them.

Star Trek Online started doing this a long time ago and now they literally have more currency types than I can count and it's absolute cancer. 

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles
8 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Why does this have to be so convoluted...

You know this was my thought too when they floated the idea of more resources. In WoT I have a metric butt ton of crap I don't even know what it does. I have bonds, pot pies, cigarettes, beer, soda pop, and all sorts of silly crap that I have no interest in at all and just absolutely killed my will to even Google it all. This isn't adding a layer of interesting complexity to the game, just adding more crap that is unneeded, unwanted, and unasked for. WoWS belongs to Wargaming, they have said this over and over and made it perfectly clear to players we are just participants in their little world so they can do as they please with their intellectual property. I know they want to add material to the game to make players grind more, honestly it just makes the game much more unappealing to play in. I expect after a while the player base will be nothing more than the hardcore fans and Wargaming employees trying to keep the game alive. They are boring the rest of us. 

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

You know this was my thought too when they floated the idea of more resources. In WoT I have a metric butt ton of crap I don't even know what it does. I have bonds, pot pies, cigarettes, beer, soda pop, and all sorts of silly crap that I have no interest in at all and just absolutely killed my will to even Google it all. This isn't adding a layer of interesting complexity to the game, just adding more crap that is unneeded, unwanted, and unasked for. WoWS belongs to Wargaming, they have said this over and over and made it perfectly clear to players we are just participants in their little world so they can do as they please with their intellectual property. I know they want to add material to the game to make players grind more, honestly it just makes the game much more unappealing to play in. I expect after a while the player base will be nothing more than the hardcore fans and Wargaming employees trying to keep the game alive. They are boring the rest of us. 

I understand from a dev perspective that it's easier to tack on a new system rather than integrate something into an existing system and have it balance out properly, but this is the opposite of streamlining.  Players should not have to constantly be taking inventory, especially to get a "reward'.  The "Pearls" from the Kamikaze R giveaway worked because it was just a one-time thing, that functionally acted as a progress bar.  Once you have to start involving currency conversion charts then you turn off most of the players to the "reward" system.

Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles
54 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I don't really care one way or another about coal & steel. I have tons of credits and nothing I want to buy. I have a bunch of doubloons and nothing to buy. My clan has lots of oil and nothing to buy with it. I have a hoard of free xp and nothing I want to buy with it... I imagine the same will be true of the new resources. The only thing I bother gathering is Elite XP and even then I am only semi interested in doing that. 

Honestly instead of adding more crap to the game, I wish they would fix what is already in the game that needs fixing, finish the last of the clan bases stuff, and work on making the game more interesting like more maps (for instance). 

what's the point of fixing it  if you still gonna be rich and still have nothing to buy with it?

and i thought richboys had an easy life.

[RMRGD]
Members
173 posts
16,690 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

10 oil per crate. 5 coal per oil.

Only 4800 crates for Salem, so for the low, low price of about $14,000, you too can P2W your way to a juicy Tier X mehbote.

A valid point but slightly off topic for me.   750,000 freeXP sound big to a lot of people as well.   My point is its another currency.   I don't mind mehboats, and I love unique high skill level boats because it offers a new game play challenge.    But another currency to do it?  Meh ....   :P  

31 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I understand from a dev perspective that it's easier to tack on a new system rather than integrate something into an existing system and have it balance out properly, but this is the opposite of streamlining.  Players should not have to constantly be taking inventory, especially to get a "reward'.  The "Pearls" from the Kamikaze R giveaway worked because it was just a one-time thing, that functionally acted as a progress bar.  Once you have to start involving currency conversion charts then you turn off most of the players to the "reward" system.

yeah well said Sventex.    I LOVE these 1 time events.   Even if they slightly change them, it was honestly a blast.   Rewards were something to work for.    When I take my Black out, or hell a Flint, players o7 you they know you been playing a long time.   There are some old ships that if replayed, people ask "Where you get that."   I think that adds a lot of something special to the game.    I don't want it to be OP, but I unique is fun.    Even the Kamikaze R was great.  Its a clone of a few others but man you earned it.     It sticks out in a game.  

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
7 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

How does oil get you coal?

The article says that for every unit of oil you have associated with your account, you get five units of coal.