Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aephx

Need help, can't decide.

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
59 posts
887 battles

So, I have read all the guides, and read all the different threads, compared stats, and I still can't decide.
Looking for some real feedback from people who are playing the ships.

Trying to decide which Battleship I want to grind, Montana (US) or Conqueror (UK). Does anyone happen to have experience with both? Any big differences between the two? I'm not super aggressive when I play BB, but I do like to keep moving.

Just can't decide. Any help is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,269
[HINON]
Members
8,797 posts

Conq farms fire damage,  montys win games. 

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Conq farms fire damage,  montys win games. 

 

2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

:Smile_great:

We already have more than enough Conqueror HE spammers in game do we really need another one lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,023
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,133 posts
8,749 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Conq farms fire damage,  montys win games. 

 

4 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

:Smile_great:

:Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,432
[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
6 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Conq farms fire damage,  montys win games. 

^ That's about the long and the short of it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,023
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,133 posts
8,749 battles
2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

yjYAhAG.gif

:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
59 posts
887 battles

lol thanks everyone. Literally what I was looking to hear.

What does farming fire damage do? Is it a good XP collector or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,161 posts
501 battles

I was thinking..... you have 246 battles and asked this....
So are you planning on going balls out and getting to tier ten now??? or for future reference... I mean you seem ok in the WY... and perhaps if you are a RR you have merit... but arent you maybe counting too many chickens before they hatch???

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
59 posts
887 battles
1 minute ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I was thinking..... you have 246 battles and asked this....
So are you planning on going balls out and getting to tier ten now??? or for future reference... I mean you seem ok in the WY... and perhaps if you are a RR you have merit... but arent you maybe counting too many chickens before they hatch???

Its for future reference. I would like to have a good idea of what line I want to spend time grinding on, rather then spend time and XP and find out it wasn't the line for me.
Knowledge is power ;) Don't you want to know as much info about something before you go and do it?
Also, I don't think I understand your WY and RR references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,023
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,133 posts
8,749 battles
5 minutes ago, Aephx said:

Its for future reference. I would like to have a good idea of what line I want to spend time grinding on, rather then spend time and XP and find out it wasn't the line for me.
Knowledge is power ;) Don't you want to know as much info about something before you go and do it?
Also, I don't think I understand your WY and RR references.

Most lines you can tell by about tier 6 if you will like them. Playing on the PT server is another way to get the feel for the different lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
660
[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,169 battles

French line is the easiest BB grind from tier 5 till 10, American line is perhaps the most challenging until tier 8, after which it is easy.  The British line is up and down with the tier 8 being perhaps the worst performing in the entire line, while the tier 9 and 10 are both powerful.  All the BB lines are different, and all are capable at tier 10.  The real question for you is how you like to play your BB's, brawling - sniping or All arounders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
158
[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
3,620 battles
19 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I was thinking..... you have 246 battles and asked this....
So are you planning on going balls out and getting to tier ten now??? or for future reference... I mean you seem ok in the WY... and perhaps if you are a RR you have merit... but arent you maybe counting too many chickens before they hatch???

I actually think the OP is really smart to be asking the question. It takes a long time to even grind multiple ships up to Tier 6+, and frankly high tier ships (not necessarily Tier 10, but certainly 8-10) are held up as the goal of the grind. So when you're looking at that much investment, it makes sense to get as much input as possible.

I appreciate that someone came to the forums to interact with the community. There's a wealth of knowledge to tap into, and it's good for people to be communicating with each other.

Welcome aboard @Aephx, see you on the digital seas.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,023
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,133 posts
8,749 battles
On 6/19/2018 at 2:42 PM, Jester_of_War said:

I actually think the OP is really smart to be asking the question. It takes a long time to even grind multiple ships up to Tier 6+, and frankly high tier ships (not necessarily Tier 10, but certainly 8-10) are held up as the goal of the grind. So when you're looking at that much investment, it makes sense to get as much input as possible.

I appreciate that someone came to the forums to interact with the community. There's a wealth of knowledge to tap into, and it's good for people to be communicating with each other.

Welcome aboard @Aephx, see you on the digital seas.

It is good to ask but more often than not you need hands on experience to make a decision. When Supreme Commander came out people on one forum i frequented were talking about how great the game was. I hated it even though they loved it but that was long enough ago that most games were still sold on disc so if you didn't score a demo disc from a magazine you had to just take your chances. Spending some time researching, playing up the tiers to get a feel for a ship tree is the only definitive way to know if you are going to like that tree.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,041 battles

With the caveat that I've not reached T10 anywhere yet, since I'm running every line and not given to a dedicated grind on any one of them, I've enjoyed the American line a lot more than the British. Having AP rounds that aren't garbage (compared to the other BB lines) is a lot more fun as a BB player than just spamming the British HE rounds. Personally, at the moment, I'm enjoying the German line the most, though I agree with others that the grind seems to be easiest on the French line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43
[MOH]
Members
188 posts
1,129 battles

If you don't like to be super aggressive, then I think both ships could fit your playstyle.  American BBs in general are about being well-rounded in that they're heavily armored, sport great firepower, and are fairly tough and concealment friendly(ish).  British BBs are tough and generally have very good concealment and are great fire starters.  Honestly though, you've got a long time before you'll get to either, so enjoy the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

FWIW: I have all the T10 BBs except the Conqueror- have no interest.  Obviously I say Montana which has turned into one of the best, if not the best.

Monty is a real battleship, Conq is a gimmick ship in my opinion.  Gimmick ships can be fun, I may buy one but won't grind out 9 tiers for it.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,574
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles
On 6/18/2018 at 4:49 PM, Aephx said:

What does farming fire damage do? Is it a good XP collector or something?

"Farming Damage" can have both positive and negative annotations.  Depends on use.

 

When you got someone kicking a$$ and racking up damage, kills, krakens, you could say he's Farming Damage off the enemy team as he's murdering them.

 

The negative annotation to it is when you're setting fires on ships, racking up a lot of damage.  But the problem with big, flashy Fire damage based numbers is that Fire Damage can all be repaired back.  So let's say you set a number of fires on some BB but did not kill him.  Let's say you racked up 30k of Fire damage on him alone.  If you didn't kill him however, that BB will simply heal all 30k of that Fire Damage back as if nothing happened.  Unless you put that target down, that 30k Fire Damage was meaningless.

 

Don't get me wrong, you still need to do damage in your BB.  Moar Damage is always good, but there are times when HE + Fires are superior in a certain situation, while AP is superior in another.

 

The earlier comments about Montana being more decisive is simple... She has great gunnery, very reliable, and she's a traditional BB that slings AP almost all the time.  Mind you, she has great HE shells also with very respectable Fire Chances, a good tool to reach for if the opponent isn't an idiot showing convenient broadsides.  But Montana's gunnery & AP shells can be super punishing to ships, especially Cruisers.  I'm a Cruiser Main, and there are 2 Battleships I fear the most even if they are shooting at my Cruisers at long range:  Yamato and Montana.  Yamato has super accuracy and good Yammie players can, and will connect with Cruisers at long range.  Montana doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy of Yamato, but with 12 guns firing, a lot of bad things are possible for the Cruiser on the receiving end.

 

Montana typically doesn't go for the long duration, HE + Fires Meta.  Montana goes for decisive, killer AP salvos that put ships down QUICK.

 

Keep in mind, this isn't a slap across Conqueror's face.  She does business differently.  Montana likes to squish Cruisers with AP, punish other BBs if they are caught showing a lot of sides.  Where Conqueror's notoriety comes in is that her great RN BB HE shells don't care what sort of defensive angling your ship takes.  Traditionally, BBs can take solace in knowing that by taking a good angle, you can bounce a lot of AP shells, or at least mitigate what the AP can do to you.  This is how BBs slug it out.  Conqueror sh*ts on that.  You can angle all you want, but her Mega HE shells just don't care.  They'll penetrate and set fires, and that's what gets other BB players up in arms.  Non-RN BBs kind of have a Secret Bro Code in how they conduct business in match.  Conqueror and other Tech Tree RN BBs don't play by the same playbook as the "Traitional" Battleships.

 

Both Montana and Conqueror do things the other doesn't do well, both are excellent ships, both are my 2 favorite Tier X BBs.  Montana is my favorite, but Conqueror is pretty darn close.  But neither does the same things despite some people say Conq is a "British Montana."

 

Either way, both are fine ships.

 

One last edit:  There is one thing that Conqueror is exceptionally good at, more than the other Tier X BBs.  Her powerful ability to set people on fire plays havoc on Damage Control Party.  While Conqueror's fire setting may not be the decisive killer against some ship, what realistically can happen is that it forces DCP use, and if another teammate like a DD lands torps after the target DCP is on cooldown, they are SCREWED.  Conqueror fires force DCP use on someone, then your friendly CV that understands what's going on follows up with torp and dive bombers.  THEY ARE SCREWED.  Another thing that Conqueror's Mega HE shells do is absolutely wreck Secondary and Anti-Aircraft Mounts.

"That's a mighty fine set of Secondaries and AA Guns you got there.  It'd be a shame if someone were to... BURN IT ALL AWAY."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,041 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

One last edit:  There is one thing that Conqueror is exceptionally good at, more than the other Tier X BBs.  Her powerful ability to set people on fire plays havoc on Damage Control Party.  While Conqueror's fire setting may not be the decisive killer against some ship, what realistically can happen is that it forces DCP use, and if another teammate like a DD lands torps after the target DCP is on cooldown, they are SCREWED.  Conqueror fires force DCP use on someone, then your friendly CV that understands what's going on follows up with torp and dive bombers.  THEY ARE SCREWED.  Another thing that Conqueror's Mega HE shells do is absolutely wreck Secondary and Anti-Aircraft Mounts.

"That's a mighty fine set of Secondaries and AA Guns you got there.  It'd be a shame if someone were to... BURN IT ALL AWAY."

So, what you're saying is that Conqueror thinks that every other ship weighs the same as a duck. Which makes every other ship a witch. What do we do with witches?

BURN THEM!

Did I get that right? :Smile_izmena:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,574
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles
34 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

So, what you're saying is that Conqueror thinks that every other ship weighs the same as a duck. Which makes every other ship a witch. What do we do with witches?

BURN THEM!

Did I get that right? :Smile_izmena:

Sure, burn them :Smile_teethhappy:

Do keep in mind, that the AP on Conqueror isn't to be trifled with.  It's a bit tricky though because they have short fuses like an RN CL AP.  There are cases where I've had broadside shots and leveled Conq's AP into some BB's waterline, and got lots of Non-Pens.  But change the target location, say, upper hull or base superstructure, then all the sudden it's TONS of Penetrating hits.  You have to play her AP a little differently compared to other BB AP shells, depending on the armor you're seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
878 posts
8,950 battles

I was in Yamato when Conqueror came out.  2 Conq division focused me from smoke (pre smoke fire nerf?).  Their shots were coming in at the same time, we were close range, the HE hit so hard the citadel pen noise was ringing in my ears. 

Obviously I put my ship in a bad position, and they dispatched me very fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×