You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BuckarooBanzai_

Where is thegun boat line?

8 comments in this topic

[BEARD]
Members
7 posts
2,551 battles

Have been playing through the "IJN gunboat" line in anticipation of the new tier 9 and 10 IJN DD's and all i can ask is where is this supposed gun boat line? With cruiser level reload and BB level turret traverse the whole line up to tier 7 seems like a waste of time. Does WG have any thoughts on giving these ships any love or should us the players just go [edited] ourselves?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,662 battles

Get to the Akizuki and you will find out. Till then the line is torpedoboat mostly.

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
2,892 battles

Yeah it's very confusing. The ships in the line up to Akizuki are just ijn torpedo boats. Makes it very frustrating to have your Aki captain on them. Speaking of, your Akizuki captain will need IFHE if you want to do damage.

[HEROS]
Members
1,397 posts
11,810 battles

The gun boats really starts at the Akizuki at tier 8..   The is also a "super secret squirrel" hybrid gunboat in the form of Harkaze (premium),  I'm pretty sure we're going to see the tier 9 and 10 gunships with a month or two.  And they'll be another change which may happen first assuming the devs follow through and that will be a thinning of the hulls on DD so when large AP rounds hit they will go in one side and out the other with detonating.  Of course the down side of this is DD will be more vulnerable to damage from cruiser and DD AP ordinance.  Currently there's a small issue with BB sized shells going lengthwise punching through the first 2 of the three zones on a DD and detonating in the third zone.  with the thinned armor the BB rounds will keep going.  Unfortunately this "Double dipping" will now happen with 203 cruiser guns being able to overmatch DD bows and do the same thing. (which to be fair in some cases they can do all ready)

The benefit for the IJN Gunboat and hybrid DD's sporting the 100mm guns is they will no longer absolutely have to pack IFHE as a commander skill to deal with other DD's and some cruisers.  Less non penetrating hits with your AP and 100mm AP is a very good thing to use against other DD's.  It causes more damage which means less round to take a target down and less time exposed in a gun duel.  UNTIL the change is in though, have IFHE as a commander skill as most same and higher tier DD will start bouncing your shells at 45 degrees, and will absolutely bounce your shells at 30 degrees.  You will need to learn the art of tapping the 1 or 2 ket at the right time to switch ammo when using AP..  HE with IFHE simply ensure you will get penetrating hit on thin plating but with a 1% reduction in fire chance which is low with these guns..On the other hand your firing every 3 seconds, and every 2.7 seconds if you have BFT as a skill (this may be reduced more..special case upgrade module for the tier 10..we'll see, don't know yet)

The other thing for all of the gunboats other then Harekaze have  is substantial gun range.  The Akizuki can set up to reach 15k and change while the current projected final on the tier 9 and 10 can punch out to 17k plus.   The tier 9 and 10 will also get access to 8k and 12 k torps plus being able to both put 6 torps out at once (single 6 torp launcher!).  The tech tree 100mm boats all have smoke, and all have TRB.  The tier 9 and 10 of course get an additional upgrade slot and currently no word on what the tier 10's super upgrade module will be.

It's a good time to be approaching the gunboat DD's what will the current abundance of RADAR as they will encourage you to fight from a distance... outside of radar range!  But be aware the IJN gunboats may need you to learn a lot of patience.  None of these ships are rush in and take cap DD's because they are all slow as molasses flowing uphill up in Alaska in winter (33 knots for the tier 8 and 9, 35.5 knots for the tier 10) and have a turning radius that some Battleships and a number of cruisers can turn inside of!  (abysmally bad!) Rudder shift (response) is fine just always remember that running away is not something the gunboats do well so plan ahead.

These boats do have very good AA.. for destroyers, and better than some cruisers they'll meet but you do not get access to the defensive fire consumable.  Speccing for AA is an option but until the CV rework goes life it's likely going to be a waste of time as for now you just don't run into CV's that often.  Your likely to have AFT and BFT anyway as they benefit your main guns fairly significantly.

One option I do use on my gun boat is anything to speed up the torp reload.  it is situational like all builds for all ships.

Hope this helps ya figure what the shisnick is going on!  :-)  Should catch ya up on the current state of the IJN Gunboats.

Warlord sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
2,892 battles

I don't really agree that BFT does much for these ships. BFT has diminishing returns the higher the initial rate of fire. For 3 captain points, you are getting a whopping 0.3 seconds of reload time.

My preferred Aki build is:

PM/AR/LS/SE/(DE or SI)/CE/IFHE

Personally I prefer DE over SI, but, Aki benefits greatly from speed boosting, dakka'ing from smoke, and the TRB. Really any ship with 3 consumables is going to be a good candidate for SI. That said, you will start a LOT of fires with DE.

I have also seen/heard of:
PT/PM/LS/SE/CE/IFHE/RPF - To specialize in DD hunting. I think right now with DD populations suppressed and shy about capping anyway, this is less optimal. However, Aki is exceptional at DD hunting, like, god-tier, and it is definitely really fun.

A great tactic with build 1 is just harassing to the point of forcing an effective enemy suicide. Yesterday I had a GK, Richelleu, and I believe a Hipper all focusing on taking me down, to the point that they completely ignored an NC and Yamato walking right up to them and blapping them from 6km in the middle of shatter. The psychological impact of nonstop HE spam is intense. People will lose their minds dropping everything to get you to JUST STOP SHOOTING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,481 battles

Not to really add more to the overall discussion, as I agree with the above post. All I can say is the Akizuki is well worth the grind and the tier 6 and 7 below her are nothing like her playstyle and the forthcoming tier 9 and 10 to round out the line. 

My question is whether or not anyone has seen any proposed dates for the release of the tier 9 and 10. I realize with the upcoming 0.7.6 and the new US light cruiser line, it's not going to happen then, but has anyone read or saw in the videos any mention of how close they are to an imminent release?

[HKA]
[HKA]
Members
4 posts
5,769 battles
22 hours ago, tenfingerstentoes said:

I don't really agree that BFT does much for these ships. BFT has diminishing returns the higher the initial rate of fire. For 3 captain points, you are getting a whopping 0.3 seconds of reload time.

My preferred Aki build is:

PM/AR/LS/SE/(DE or SI)/CE/IFHE

Personally I prefer DE over SI, but, Aki benefits greatly from speed boosting, dakka'ing from smoke, and the TRB. Really any ship with 3 consumables is going to be a good candidate for SI. That said, you will start a LOT of fires with DE.

I have also seen/heard of:
PT/PM/LS/SE/CE/IFHE/RPF - To specialize in DD hunting. I think right now with DD populations suppressed and shy about capping anyway, this is less optimal. However, Aki is exceptional at DD hunting, like, god-tier, and it is definitely really fun.

A great tactic with build 1 is just harassing to the point of forcing an effective enemy suicide. Yesterday I had a GK, Richelleu, and I believe a Hipper all focusing on taking me down, to the point that they completely ignored an NC and Yamato walking right up to them and blapping them from 6km in the middle of shatter. The psychological impact of nonstop HE spam is intense. People will lose their minds dropping everything to get you to JUST STOP SHOOTING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT.

I totally agree with this post.  I've been racking up exp on the Akizuki in preparation for the new tier IX and X boats.  Luckily the Akizuki is so fun to play i don't mind having built up 350k exp on it so far.  lol 

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles

The gunboat line starts at Akizuki and will end in Tier X. 
Ironically, Asashio and Akatsuki are better gunboats than Shiratsuyu, with more guns due to 3x2 layout and even better reload on Asashio.