You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aephx

What are you grinding out?

65 comments in this topic

Members
59 posts
887 battles

I'm just curious what Tech Tree path people are trying to grind out, and how?

I started with the US Tree. Started like normal, and moved to Battleship. Then to the US Carrier line. Also went over to the US Destroyer line. Also grinding out a UK Cruiser. My current goal is to have one of each. US Carrier, US Destroyer, UK Battleship, and UK Cruiser. I only chose US and UK because I am more familiar with them then any others, rather than stats or anything like that. Though I have been curious about maybe trying the German Battleship, and/or the Japan Carrier lines, as I've been learning more about the game.
I guess I'm just wondering if others are grinding out more then 1 tech tree line at a time, or if I should be focusing on just one line at a time? Or sticking to 1 tree at a time? Wondering how others are doing it is all :)

Thanks for any advice!

[DENY]
Members
286 posts
4,368 battles

Making my way to minotaur than the Worcester once they are out . Already got the French BB to 10 ,Moskva and zao .  Not really interested in any thing else right now

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

Credits. I can only afford to keep a couple ships at any time and right now I have Akizuki, Yamato, and Baltimore. I pay baltimore every now and then but I'm working on my commanders for Kidd (13) and Akizuki (16). I would love to have all the ships I want to grind in my port (Kiev, Fletcher, Cleveland, Ryujo, Normandie, Budyonny, Colorado, etc.) but I can't do that since it would take me hundreds and hundreds of games to get them all back and fully upgraded. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Nothing, I just look for a interesting ship and I get her.

• Tier IX Fletcher
    • Warmed up to me
  • Tier IX Iowa
    • Hates me
  • Tier VII Nagato
    • Starting to hate me
  • Tier VIII/VI Fubuki
    • Still loves me
  • Tier VIII Lexington
    • Love/hate relationship
  • Tier VIII Richelieu
    • Loves me
  • Tier VI Ryujo
    • She loves me and is my flagship
  • Tier VII Hiryu
    • Hates me
Edited by Vangm94
  • Cool 1

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Nothing really. Got Zao a few months back. Looking at collecting xp for Akizuki and the ships to follow. 

Finished the Russian CA line at Budyoney. Don't really want to contiune the line as everyone there looks weird. Expect Kutuzov. :3 

So I'm kinda floating around at the moment. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,204 posts
4,521 battles

German Destroyers, British Battleships, American Cruisers, Russian Cruisers and Russian Destroyers

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

This weekend, I finally hit the top of the US CA cruiser line.
I've been sitting at T9 in the German BBs forever (cause I hate the FDG).
I've been sittting at T8 in the German CA line forever (cause I hate whatever that boat is too). 

I'm mainly working on the French Battlehips and US destroyers (and light cruisers eventually). 

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
13,541 battles

Started back in closed beta ...all we had was USN and IJN in the tech tree so I went up the IJN line because I mostly play DDs and back then stealth was the big thing.

Now all lines are done and the only grinds I have left are Free XP and elite captain XP.

I have over 60 premium ships , 22/19 point captains and I still love this game.

• Cool 1

[PNGYN]
Members
490 posts
2,954 battles

Currently working on three: USN DDs, USN CAs, and Pan Asian DDs. 

Currently at tier nine for USN DDs and CAs, and on four for PA DDs. 

I have used premium accounts in the past to grind, but those ran out so now I just play at least a couple of games per day. 
Playing when I can is definitely the name of the game, and if I happen to get the 237k or 235k experience for Gearing/DM I will unlock them. 

[PVE]
Members
8,811 posts
7,241 battles
2 minutes ago, Aephx said:

I'm just curious what Tech Tree path people are trying to grind out, and how?

I started with the US Tree. Started like normal, and moved to Battleship. Then to the US Carrier line. Also went over to the US Destroyer line. Also grinding out a UK Cruiser. My current goal is to have one of each. US Carrier, US Destroyer, UK Battleship, and UK Cruiser. I only chose US and UK because I am more familiar with them then any others, rather than stats or anything like that. Though I have been curious about maybe trying the German Battleship, and/or the Japan Carrier lines, as I've been learning more about the game.
I guess I'm just wondering if others are grinding out more then 1 tech tree line at a time, or if I should be focusing on just one line at a time? Or sticking to 1 tree at a time? Wondering how others are doing it is all :)

Thanks for any advice!

Go with what you want. Grinding one tree at a time, means you will get to high tiers faster. Grinding multiple tiers means you see the variety of ship play styles. Grinding multiple lines, means you get to high tier slower.

IMO, I would grind one or two of the ones you have now to T6 to T7 and then grind other lines out a bit. WoWs has events where you need a T5 or T6 or T7 ship to do the event, so then you can at least participate. BBs are easier to play than CL/CAs and they are easier than DDs. CVs are by far the hardest IMO. If you feel that you work better in a different line, by all means go for it. The great thing about this game is there is no one way to skin the warship.

This also depends on if you want to spend money on the game. Grinding multiple lines means you need more port slots. If you decide to keep a lot of ships, you will need port slots. If you want to buy port slots, they are on sale every month or so. If you don't want to spend money on the game, then you will want to plan out the ships you want to get, so that you can use your free port slots efficiently. If you decide to buy premium ships, do check out LittleWhiteMouse as well as other premium ship reviews.

Do check out @hangglide42 really good posts on the various parts of the game.

One last thing. When you get to Tier 5, do hop back into co-op (PvE) to get used to playing Tier 7 ships in a tier 5. You only need to stay there long enough to get used to being bottom tier. At T5, being bottom tier is a bigger deal.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,342 posts
10,134 battles

I only play BB and Cruisers. All I have left to grind is IJN Cruisers (at Mogami) and French Cruisers (at Charles Martel). Have all the T10 BB's and the other T10 Cruisers. Good time for the new US CL's to arrive to give me options to work on.

Last 2 weeks have been grinding the Halsey campaign and now that I am done with that I can get to work on these last 2 Cruiser lines. Probably go French 1st. Not a big IJN Cruiser guy.

I pretty much ground all nations at once. Don't think it is wise to focus one line only as you rise in the tiers too fast.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles

I'm not grinding anything I have all the tier 10's except CV. Im in the awesome spot of being at the end game where I just get to play for fun.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

Tech tree wise ; none as I have all the tech tree ships researched to elite status .  I am currently grinding three more commanders to 19 points . Italian ( at 12 ) for when that tree becomes available ; Pan-Asian ( second one ) at 16 and French legendary commander at 17 .

:Smile_honoring:

[TCAL]
Members
33 posts
5,543 battles

Currently grinding:

German Destroyers - at T9, Z-46

British Cruisers - at T9, Neptune

Russian Cruisers - at T9, Donskoi (but don't have the credits to purchase)

British Battleships - at T8, Monarch

PanAsian Destroyers - at T8, Hsienyang

Guess also Japanese Carriers - at T9, Taiho (but stopped playing CVs for a while. Not sure I'm going back)

and credits. Many T9 Missouri rounds (to pay for Donskoi, etc.)

Thought about starting French Battleships, but don't want to start another line yet. Though will probably start when German DDs are done, as that's my closest to T10..

Edited by Mytaru

[PVE]
Members
8,811 posts
7,241 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I only play BB and Cruisers. All I have left to grind is IJN Cruisers (at Mogami) and French Cruisers (at Charles Martel). Have all the T10 BB's and the other T10 Cruisers. Good time for the new US CL's to arrive to give me options to work on.

Last 2 weeks have been grinding the Halsey campaign and now that I am done with that I can get to work on these last 2 Cruiser lines. Probably go French 1st. Not a big IJN Cruiser guy.

I pretty much ground all nations at once. Don't think it is wise to focus one line only as you rise in the tiers too fast.

I also grind all the trees at once. Here are the ships that I am grinding now.

IJN T7 Myoko CA, T6 Fuso BB, T6 Fubuki DD, T6 Hatsuharu DD, T5 Zuiho CV.

US T8 North Carolina BB, T7 Mahan DD, T5 Bogue CV and T10 Des Moines CA for Elite Cmdr XP as I have a 19pt captain

RU T6 Budyonny CA, T7 Minsk DD, T8 Ognevoi DD

DE T7 Yorck CA, T7 Gneisenau BB, T6 Gaede DD

UK T6 Leander CL, T6 Queen Elizabeth BB

FR T6 La Galissonniere CL

PA T6 Fushun DD

Another benefit to grinding multiple lines, is if you get tired of one, you can switch to another.

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles

Grinding Indianapolis, and the four 10-point USN captains I am going to need for Dallas, Helena, Seattle and Worchester. So far I have three of the 4 captains and enough free XP and ship XP to get Dallas and Helena. Seattle and Worchester are WIP, still have a ways to go. After that I need 4 more 10-point RN captains for the RN DD release, whenever that happens. I don't grind any lines beyond the USN and RN other than to get historical ships, which is why I rarely play RU, IJN, MN, RM, Pan-Asian or DKM ships that I did not get for free. I gave up on CVs and won't grind those until they get fixed, which may be never.....Winter Is Coming....

Members
6,621 posts
25,240 battles

Just commanders to 19 points.

I have all T10 ships except CVs which I don't own any, nor do I care to.

(ok, Worcester will be coming to my port at some point, but not released as of this writing anyway).

Edited by alexf24

Members
59 posts
887 battles
13 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Go with what you want. Grinding one tree at a time, means you will get to high tiers faster. Grinding multiple tiers means you see the variety of ship play styles. Grinding multiple lines, means you get to high tier slower.

IMO, I would grind one or two of the ones you have now to T6 to T7 and then grind other lines out a bit. WoWs has events where you need a T5 or T6 or T7 ship to do the event, so then you can at least participate. BBs are easier to play than CL/CAs and they are easier than DDs. CVs are by far the hardest IMO. If you feel that you work better in a different line, by all means go for it. The great thing about this game is there is no one way to skin the warship.

This also depends on if you want to spend money on the game. Grinding multiple lines means you need more port slots. If you decide to keep a lot of ships, you will need port slots. If you want to buy port slots, they are on sale every month or so. If you don't want to spend money on the game, then you will want to plan out the ships you want to get, so that you can use your free port slots efficiently. If you decide to buy premium ships, do check out LittleWhiteMouse as well as other premium ship reviews.

Do check out @hangglide42 really good posts on the various parts of the game.

One last thing. When you get to Tier 5, do hop back into co-op (PvE) to get used to playing Tier 7 ships in a tier 5. You only need to stay there long enough to get used to being bottom tier. At T5, being bottom tier is a bigger deal.

Thanks! Kinda what I was hoping to hear from someone. I know it will take longer the more ships I'm working on, but I really just enjoy playing the game. I'll get up to higher tiers when I get there, and I'm OK with that :)
I'm only really grinding my US Destroyer and UK Cruiser. I'm waiting to grind more on the US Carrier until after this rework I've been hearing about, and I have yet to actually get in to the UK Battleship line. Its just the plan. And based on what I've been reading and finding out, I think I'll keep grinding my 2 main ship lines, but I will keep 4 lines going, just when I feel like I want to play something else. :) Really just trying to decide now if I should stick to my US/UK trees, since Im already in them, or if it would be worth switching to a new tree.

[SF-3]
[SF-3]
Beta Testers
226 posts
12,852 battles

i have the T10's i want and may buy the midway once the cv rework is done (i might be dead by then). Only lines i have not finished and probably wont is the IJN lines (at tahio, t7 dd , i think im on t4 crusier and t2 on bb), British bb (at the lion), german bb( at the FDG). currently just grinding xp on the cleveland for the new line. after that im just working on hasley and indy missions. 

[-AGW-]
Members
634 posts
9,294 battles

I recently played Alsace on the PT server. Got a Dev. strike on a Yamato (!) and a Moskva in the same game.

I want that ship.

I am liking those French ships.

[PVE]
Members
8,811 posts
7,241 battles
2 minutes ago, Aephx said:

Thanks! Kinda what I was hoping to hear from someone. I know it will take longer the more ships I'm working on, but I really just enjoy playing the game. I'll get up to higher tiers when I get there, and I'm OK with that :)
I'm only really grinding my US Destroyer and UK Cruiser. I'm waiting to grind more on the US Carrier until after this rework I've been hearing about, and I have yet to actually get in to the UK Battleship line. Its just the plan. And based on what I've been reading and finding out, I think I'll keep grinding my 2 main ship lines, but I will keep 4 lines going, just when I feel like I want to play something else. :) Really just trying to decide now if I should stick to my US/UK trees, since Im already in them, or if it would be worth switching to a new tree.

You are very welcome.

There is a way to get to play various lines without taking a ton of time or money. The current public test ends tomorrow at 0600 PST. The next public test for update 7.7 won't appear until after the Fourth I expect. Check out the current news item on it, and you can see you start with a lot of stuff to grind ships quickly. It is a great way to try out new lines, before you use up your port slots and the like. You can also get dragon flags, premium time and regular flags for playing the playtest server. It is a great way to test captain and ship builds as well.

Do use the same email, so that your rewards will appear on the live server.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/public-test-076/

[TAZ]
Members
391 posts

working off the last 20K of 467K on Cleveland required to have enough to fully research Seattle immediately and use the rest converted to FXP to get Worcester.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,959 battles

Nothing at the moment. 

I just unlocked Shoukaku, but it'll probably be a while before I get the credits to actually buy her.

IJN BB progression is stopped at Nagato;  Yamato calls, but not sufficiently for me to unlock Amagi and go through Izumo right now. 

I've got my Akizuki, and Cleveland is tiding me over until Worcester comes out.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,951 posts
8,094 battles

Working on credits atm so I can buy Z-52 and bouncing between Mahan, Ranger, Batimore, and Freddy.