You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Clearing Up Steel

122 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,053 posts
7,611 battles

Hey, counting your possible Steel Rewards?  I've heard a lot of people mistakenly counting up the wrong amounts of the new currencies they'll have when Arsenals open up.  This thread is to help people calculate how much they'll have to spend.  I'm also going to outline how long it will take you to earn some of the reward ships if you don't play competitive (Ranked / Clan Battles).  All of the information comes from this link:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/introducing-arsenal/ plus some clarifications made through the Community Contributor Discord.

HOW MUCH STEEL DO PREVIOUS RANK ONES GIVE YOU?
Some players have been greedily rubbing their hands together assuming that if they've never missed a Ranked Battle that they're now sitting on 27,500 steel.  That's not the case.  The way it's worded is a little confusing, but simply put, the rewards for reaching each Ranked Season are not cumulative.  So here's the handy chart for how much steel you can expect based on the number of times you hit Rank One:

1. 2,500
  2. 5,000
  3. None
  4. 5,000
  5. None
  6. 2,500
  7. 5,000
  8. 7,500

That's it.  The maximum you'll received from previous seasons of Ranked Battles is 7,500 steel.  If you've ranked out three times or five times, you get nothing.  You were already compensated with Flint or Black (respectively), so there's no further rewards issued at these levels.  So, in my case, I ranked out two times, so I'm going to receive 5,000 steel.

HOW MUCH STEEL WILL RANKING OUT GIVE?
We don't know.  Any assumptions at this stage are just that.  It's entirely possible it will now take more than 3 seasons of reaching Rank One to earn Flint.  If we assume (and this is just an assumption) that each time we rank out, we receive 2,500 steel, someone starting fresh would need 5 seasons to acquire Flint and 6 separate seasons to acquire Black barring the use of coupons.  If you wanted to get Stalingrad using this assumption, that's 12 separate seasons.

Again, I must stress, there's no guarantee that future seasons of Ranked Battles will award steel.  It's likely, but if and how much has not been stated by Wargaming.

HOW MUCH STEEL DO I GET FROM PREVIOUS CLAN BATTLES?
Each Stalingrad flag is worth 6,000 steel.  If you have two (congrats), you'll start with 12,000 steel.
If your clan won 30 victories in Typhoon league in the third season, that's an additional 10,000 steel.

HOW MUCH STEEL WILL CLAN BATTLES GIVE OUT?
We don't know. 

WAIT, HOW DO I GET STEEL THEN?
Other than Supercontainers which MAY award 1,500 steel, we don't know any of the details.  Keep in mind, we aren't even clear on how often a Supercontainer will drop steel.

FILTHY CASUAL PLAYERS ARE GOING TO EARN SHIPS I WORKED MY BUTT OFF FOR!  IT'S NOT FAAAAAIR!  (whine, moan, complain!)
Aww, it's okay, cupcake, your rewards are going to remain special for a long time yet.  Let's take a look at the math for how long it will take a Casual Player that never sets foot into competitive modes to unlock Stalingrad.

• Let's assume these players will only ever collect Steel from Supercontainers.
  • Let's also assume that they have no Steel to start with.

Now, our "Casual" player is going to attempt to collect Steel by using "Try Your Luck" containers for the three daily crates they can unlock.  Let's assume they're only getting 2 of these crates per day on average.

• 365 days in a year x 2 crates = 730 crates.
  • "Try Your Luck" have an average Supercontainer conversion rate of about 3%.
  • Thus, 730 crates is approximately 22 Supercontainers a year, rounding up.
  • If every single container dropped steel, they'd have 33,000 Steel in one year -- or enough to get Stalingrad after 10 months and 1 week.  But that's incredibly optimistic.
  • If the drop rate for Steel in Supercontainers is a more likely 10% drop rate, then our Casual is going to need 8 and a half years (on average) to unlock Stalingrad this way.

Now, RNG being RNG, there will be some lucky people out there that unlock Stalingrad faster.  There will also be those that are stuck in perpetual Hell, never seeming to accumulate Steel at all.  Frankly, it's a foolish way to try and accumulate Steel in this manner and you're better off jumping through the hoops that Wargaming sets out for you.

So don't worry, elitists, your shiny exclusive ships will remain out of most people's hands.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 33
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[VW]
Members
1,830 posts
12,276 battles

Which makes one wonder what is the point of steel, and when they will begin accepting real world money in exchange for it.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles

What about coal? I’m very confused as to how much I will get from oil and other stuff I earned for my clan

Edited by bubbleboy264

[NMKJT]
Members
2,676 posts

Thanks Mouse. For folks like me without time to play competitive modes, looks bleak. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
10 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Hey, counting your possible Steel Rewards?  I've heard a lot of people mistakenly counting up the wrong amounts of the new currencies they'll have when Arsenals open up.  This thread is to help people calculate how much they'll have to spend.  I'm also going to outline how long it will take you to earn some of the reward ships if you don't play competitive (Ranked / Clan Battles).  All of the information comes from this link:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/introducing-arsenal/ plus some clarifications made through the Community Contributor Discord.

Some players have been greedily rubbing their hands together assuming that if they've never missed a Ranked Battle that they're now sitting on 27,500 steel.  That's not the case.  The way it's worded is a little confusing, but simply put, the rewards for reaching each Ranked Season are not cumulative.  So here's the handy chart for how much steel you can expect based on the number of times you hit Rank One:

1. 2,500
  2. 5,000
  3. None
  4. 5,000
  5. None
  6. 2,500
  7. 5,000
  8. 7,500

That's it.  The maximum you'll received from previous seasons of Ranked Battles is 7,500 steel.  If you've ranked out three times or five times, you get nothing.  You were already compensated with Flint or Black (respectively), so there's no further rewards issued at these levels.  So, in my case, I ranked out two times, so I'm going to receive 5,000 steel.

We don't know.  Any assumptions at this stage are just that.  It's entirely possible it will now take more than 3 seasons of reaching Rank One to earn Flint.  If we assume (and this is just an assumption) that each time we rank out, we receive 2,500 steel, someone starting fresh would need 5 seasons to acquire Flint and 6 separate seasons to acquire Black barring the use of coupons.  If you wanted to get Stalingrad using this assumption, that's 12 separate seasons.

Again, I must stress, there's no guarantee that future seasons of Ranked Battles will award steel.  It's likely, but if and how much has not been stated by Wargaming.

HOW MUCH STEEL DO I GET FROM PREVIOUS CLAN BATTLES?
Each Stalingrad flag is worth 6,000 steel.  If you have two (congrats), you'll start with 12,000 steel.
If your clan won 30 victories in Typhoon league in the third season, that's an additional 10,000 steel.

HOW MUCH STEEL WILL CLAN BATTLES GIVE OUT?
We don't know. 

WAIT, HOW DO I GET STEEL THEN?
Other than Supercontainers which MAY award 1,500 steel, we don't know any of the details.  Keep in mind, we aren't even clear on how often a Supercontainer will drop steel.

FILTHY CASUAL PLAYERS ARE GOING TO EARN SHIPS I WORKED MY BUTT OFF FOR!  IT'S NOT FAAAAAIR!  (whine, moan, complain!)
Aww, it's okay, cupcake, your rewards are going to remain special for a long time yet.  Let's take a look at the math for how long it will take a Casual Player that never sets foot into competitive modes to unlock Stalingrad.

• Let's assume these players will only ever collect Steel from Supercontainers.
  • Let's also assume that they have no Steel to start with.

Now, our "Casual" player is going to attempt to collect Steel by using "Try Your Luck" containers for the three daily crates they can unlock.  Let's assume they're only getting 2 of these crates per day on average.

• 365 days in a year x 2 crates = 730 crates.
  • "Try Your Luck" have an average Supercontainer conversion rate of about 3%.
  • Thus, 730 crates is approximately 22 Supercontainers a year, rounding up.
  • If every single container dropped steel, they'd have 33,000 Steel in one year -- or enough to get Stalingrad after 10 months and 1 week.  But that's incredibly optimistic.
  • If the drop rate for Steel in Supercontainers is a more likely 10% drop rate, then our Casual is going to need 8 and a half years (on average) to unlock Stalingrad this way.

Now, RNG being RNG, there will be some lucky people out there that unlock Stalingrad faster.  There will also be those that are stuck in perpetual Hell, never seeming to accumulate Steel at all.  Frankly, it's a foolish way to try and accumulate Steel in this manner and you're better off jumping through the hoops that Wargaming sets out for you.

So don't worry, elitists, your shiny exclusive ships will remain out of most people's hands.

So even with that if players don't play ranked will they still be able to earn steel?  Shouldn't be limited to ranked.

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
3 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

What about coal? I’m very confused as to how much I will get from oil and other stuff I earned for my clan

For every oil you have earned, you will get 5 coal. So go into the game, and multiply you oil by 5. If you have been in multiple clans, you will earn coal for ALL of the oil you earned.

Every container from now until 7.6 drops is 50 coal.

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles
4 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

For every oil you have earned, you will get 5 coal. So go into the game, and multiply you oil by 5. If you have been in multiple clans, you will earn coal for ALL of the oil you earned.

Every container from now until 7.6 drops is 50 coal.

I still get it even if my clan spent the oil right?

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

Funny that the the filthy casuals also includes some of the whales that fund the game since they don’t all participate in clan/ranked. People who keep the lights on should be walled off?  :cap_win:

The Stalingrad is going to be quite the drama llama. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I still get it even if my clan spent the oil right?

Yes. Evidently coal is replacing the personal oil wallet that was teased when oil was announced.

[TBW]
Members
6,322 posts
11,878 battles
3 minutes ago, gammarays said:

People who keep the lights on should be walled off?  :cap_win:

Steel for how many premiums or just ships in general. If I could get 1000 steel per premium, I would have 79,000 steel. If I could get 500 steel per ship in port, I would get 111,000. Sounds fair to me, but then that's me.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles

Whew, thank god those unwashed peasants won't be able to touch those shiny new ships.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles

For those counting "steel equivalent" on Ranked rankouts, here's how that shapes up.

eIXMLAH.png

Edited by Edgecase
Trying to fix image embed

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I got a SC on the PT server 500 Coal. Ironic Santa Claus gives coal as "PUNISHMENT"

The valuation WG assigns to the Game is WACKED.

E0JHp3P.gif

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO
  • Funny 3

[WOLF3]
Members
5,958 posts
2,203 battles

I'm pretty much going to ignore the new economy.  I'll never get enough steel to make a difference, and the coal will accumulate slowly.

HOWEVER, the new economy means that one slot is removed from my Daily Containers!  This is going to be a huge difference!  P's me off.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,712 posts
9,419 battles
14 minutes ago, gammarays said:

Funny that the the filthy casuals also includes some of the whales that fund the game since they don’t all participate in clan/ranked.

Dont worry, just in case if LWM missed it, there also possibility of oil/coal from other little event LIKE - HALLOWEEN, WG b'day, and last but not least the XMAS crates bundles and if we make it clear enough, the marketing department will give in little "marketing" in between

So from those calculation and the event, maybe from 8yrs of playing it will cut down dramatically.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,541 battles
21 minutes ago, gammarays said:

Funny that the the filthy casuals also includes some of the whales that fund the game since they don’t all participate in clan/ranked. People who keep the lights on should be walled off?  :cap_win:

The Stalingrad is going to be quite the drama llama. :cap_haloween:

Deja vu WoT’s M60 fiasco.  So many butthurt threads, youd think half the playerbase was ex-tankers who crewed M60s guarding the Fulda Gap crying over their fave tank

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles
35 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

WG provides a fat and provocative clue about this, as far as I can tell:

6A8zf8c.png

Someone who has ranked out twice has 5000 steel in hand. Flint costs 11600. In order for this statement to be true, that person needs to be able to earn at least 6600 steel next Ranked season (at least 3700 if this statement assumes you use the 25% discount coupon).

Someone who has ranked out four times will have 5000 steel in hand. Black costs 14000. If, again, WG isn't lying or bad at math, this means that the next rank-out must provide at least 9000 (?!) steel (6500 if building in 25% coupon).

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles
45 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

1. 2,500
  2. 5,000
  3. None
  4. 5,000
  5. None
  6. 2,500
  7. 5,000
  8. 7,500

Shouldn't the 4th rank out net 2,500 steel and not 5,000? I'm not sure if this is a mistake or my misunderstanding of the system.

As always, thanks @LittleWhiteMouse for your thorough information. 

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

HOWEVER, the new economy means that one slot is removed from my Daily Containers!  This is going to be a huge difference!  P's me off.

No, coal will be a new drop in containers, potentially replacing one of the three items. Since you can buy camo, signals and special upgrades for coal, it will be a way to get the ones that you want.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,668 posts
9,985 battles

Thank goodness, after XPTM, FXPTM, Captain XPTM, Elite XPTM, DoubloonsTM, CreditsTM and OilTM there's now CoalTM and SteelTM...

• Cool 2

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,101 battles

It is..............................friggin' voodoo magic

[WOLF3]
Members
5,958 posts
2,203 battles

I don't see it.  Clicking the link yields this:

-<Error><Code>NoSuchKey</Code><BucketName>wows_forum_us</BucketName><RequestId>tx00000000000000897311a-005b282751-10cb6a5-ed-1</RequestId><HostId>10cb6a5-ed-1-ed</HostId></Error>

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,132 posts
10,022 battles

Lessee, if I will have 86,900 Coal (5 x 17,380 Oil I have earned for my clan), in order to be able to buy the Salem, (cost 240,000 coal), I would need to acquire 153,000 more coal. At the present cost of the best bundle of the cheapest premium crates (Yammie or Bismarck crates cost $90 for 50 boxes = 500 Oil before the 0.7.6 update hits), That would require a purchase of 61.24 sets of 50 crates or $5511.60. 

Very discouraging. I could rank out if I wanted to wade through the awful yoyo frustration. I stopped at Rank 8 this season because it wasn't fun. Clan Battles doesn't seem to offer a lot of fun interaction either. 

So far i am not really impressed by this aspect of the economics, and I don't see myself participating much in it. Grinding XP and credits I can do, grinding salt in competitive or opening RNG boxes over the course of several years isn't terribly interesting also. 

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
8,838 posts
7,257 battles
6 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Lessee, if I will have 86,900 Coal (5 x 17,380 Oil I have earned for my clan), in order to be able to buy the Salem, (cost 240,000 coal), I would need to acquire 153,000 more coal. At the present cost of the best bundle of the cheapest premium crates (Yammie or Bismarck crates cost $90 for 50 boxes = 500 Oil before the 0.7.6 update hits), That would require a purchase of 61.24 sets of 50 crates or $5511.60. 

Very discouraging. I could rank out if I wanted to wade through the awful yoyo frustration. I stopped at Rank 8 this season because it wasn't fun. Clan Battles doesn't seem to offer a lot of fun interaction either. 

So far i am not really impressed by this aspect of the economics, and I don't see myself participating much in it. Grinding XP and credits I can do, grinding salt in competitive or opening RNG boxes over the course of several years isn't terribly interesting also. 

Or you can take your 87K in coal an combine it with the coal you earn in daily containers. The regular containers have a chance of dropping 300 coal. The TYL containers have a chance of dropping 700 coal. The news item on steel and coal, did say that coal will be able to be earned in missions and events as well.