You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Possible change to reduce passive long range battleship sniping

98 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

What if there was a consumable for destroyers and cruisers that helped them fight the fires on a battleship. They could spray the battleship down with water and cutting short the burning effect. Destroyers and cruisers would get special ribbons and XP for their supporting roles. This consumable could only be used once per game per ship and they would not stack so determining the right times to use them would be part of the unfolding strategy each battle. 

If the passive battleship player knew that sticking with his cruisers and destroyers will help keep him alive during the HE spam he will choose to move closer to the action resulting in a more fast paced action game vs the long range sniping we see now.

One warship spraying down a damaged ship with water in an effort to control fires is a long tradition. It is just a thought. What do you think my warships brothers and sisters?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

No.

I don't think anything that gives battleships even more of a reason to assume they can boss around other ships would be healthy for the game from a social perspective.

Also the problem isn't the attacking battleship not sticking with his cruisers, it's the cruisers not sticking with the attacking battleship.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
5,280 battles

and who helps put out the fires on the destroyers and cruisers? the battleship prima donna? 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

why does the battleship with a large health pool need help from smaller ships again? 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,176 posts
8,786 battles

Helping with fire fighting was common but only outside of combat.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
240 posts
4,215 battles

I think there are plenty of soft-stats that could be modified to de-incentivize long range sniping by BBs without complex interactions as you describe (although, I'm not against support ships in this manner).  For example, dispersion could be changed from a linear model to another model for BBs beyond a certain range. Penetration could be adjusted at range.  Dispersion vs target vs range.  RoF vs range.  I'm not arguing that any of these are good ideas but adjusting any of these could de-incentivize sniping (nothing will make it go away beyond setting firing ranges to short which is dumb imo as sniping has uses at times).

[HINON]
Supertester
18,955 posts
12,460 battles

I've suggested this before. The consensus was that this would only lead to passive play with clumps of ships cuddling together.

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
Members
5,155 posts
3,430 battles

Huh? and ask me and my DD to sail ALL THE WAY BACK THERE to his little hiding spot, to reassure the big BB that his health pool will be safe with me? No way. If you want to stop the camping stop rewarding it. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,155 posts
3,430 battles
15 minutes ago, MokrieDela said:

why does the battleship with a large health pool need help from smaller ships again? 

Because they're the biggest, bestest, most awesomist, hulking gargantuans that ever lived! We should all just stand in awe of their shiny paint and perfect hair.

Members
763 posts
4,018 battles

Problem: long range sniping

Solution: nerf BB sigma by 0.25 across the board so sniping is not viable beyond cap/support range

Not hard folks.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
2 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

Problem: long range sniping

Solution: nerf BB sigma by 0.25 across the board so sniping is not viable beyond cap/support range

Not hard folks.

Idk where you guys see this "Battleship sniping". The only time I ever see bbs firing at extreme range are the opening minutes of the game when everyone is moving into position, and when they've taken a lot of damage and need to pull back to avoid dying. 

• Cool 3

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
28 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Also the problem isn't the attacking battleship not sticking with his cruisers, it's the cruisers not sticking with the attacking battleship.

The problem with Cruisers sticking with the BBs is that the Cruisers would never get into the fight. Most Cruisers don't have enough range to hit anything from the map edge. I'll support the DDs who're trying to cap.

And why do BBs, who have the best survivability of any ship class, need protection? Addition; Contrary to myth, not all Cruisers have awesome AA and radar.

Edited by ReddNekk

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
694 posts
6,130 battles

Yea weird...sniping...they are the only ones who can snipe with over 20km range on the big guns...who else would you think would be sniping? Personally I like to bring my 
Monty within range of my secondaries to have all my guns ablaze...dds wish I was sniping then lol and cruisers. I smoke them fools....jk I get killed alot too but its fun....never get accused of sniping my clan will attest...I'm the one who goes where others fear to tread. Tip of the spear!

The current fire system is fine btw...for bbs...add some armour to the paper ships.

Edited by C_D

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
16 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

The problem with Cruisers sticking with the BBs is that the Cruisers would never get into the fight. Most Cruisers don't have enough range to hit anything from the map edge. I'll support the DDs who're trying to cap.

And why do BBs, who have the best survivability of any ship class, need protection? Addition; Contrary to myth, not all Cruisers have awesome AA and radar.

The problem I tend to see in my battleships is that when I start a push, allied cruisers join me-- and then turn and run the second the enemy notices us, leaving their battleship to get focus-fired while providing no focus fire of their own to offset the damage I'm tanking for them.

To your second line: Battleships think they deserve protection because they think they're better than everyone else in the match. It's an ego thing. The same ego thing that leads battleship mains to claim destroyers shouldn't be able to torpedo them, that cruisers shouldn't be able to burn them, that aircraft should evaporate near them. The same thing that leads to people demanding battleships be without a doubt the strongest ship in the game with no counters of any kind. The same kinds of players who think other ships exist only to be targets or to protect them.

I don't hate battleships. But I hate the players who main battleships with the above mindset.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

Members
763 posts
4,018 battles
9 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Idk where you guys see this "Battleship sniping". The only time I ever see bbs firing at extreme range are the opening minutes of the game when everyone is moving into position, and when they've taken a lot of damage and need to pull back to avoid dying. 

You mainly only see it from potato players who don't flank.

I don't think sniping is a problem because TOT is over 12 seconds at that point, but if it were a problem I'd prefer the solution to not beat around the bush.

If the problem is sniping you make sniping not viable. You don't add a gimmick that doesn't make sniping any less viable.

Members
1,550 posts
9,822 battles

Why not each team get a repair ships like they have in some operations?  so that the BBs can sit in the circle and snipe lol

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The problem I tend to see in my battleships is that when I start a push, allied cruisers join me-- and then turn and run the second the enemy notices us, leaving their battleship to get focus-fired while providing no focus fire of their own to offset the damage I'm tanking for them.

laughter.gif.9036f061900e43bb1ffa7fee1cbdcd33.gif

• Bad 1

[NBGC]
Members
329 posts
3,565 battles

It is a good idea, but WG would somehow find a way to run it into the ground. Not to acknowledge the elephant in the room *cough cough* radar through islands *cough*

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,250 battles

FWIW while there is no doubt there is a problem with some BB drivers that just want to hang back & snipe its not limited to just them. There is a large segment of players that are reluctant to let their paint get scratched if they can help it. The overall passive nature of many players needs to change. They need to realize that to do damage you must be willing to take it as well. 

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
2 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Whatever, man.

• Funny 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

It's not a bad idea, but I've always thought a nerf to BB dispersion to be a better and easier fix.

If you wanted something like this against fire, why not give a ship type the ability to heal other ships? Just like in scenarios. 

Edited by Wulfgarn

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles

It really depends on the situation. Sometimes sniping and harassing is all you can do without eating torp soup or getting lit up by the one of many HE spamming cruisers hiding behind islands. Its not a tactic that should always be used but you can't count on your team to always back you up either.

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
Just now, Wulfgarn said:

It's not a bad idea, but I've always thought a nerf to BB dispersion to be a better and easier fix.

They would need to make it easier for BB's to actually close to targets so this huge HE spam fest would have to be rebalanced. Cruisers would need a damage nerf and so would DD torps. You guys want BB's to tank you need to give some things up to make it possible instead of just expecting nerfs to ONE type of ship. That's a fantasy.

• Cool 1

Members
1,131 posts
3,141 battles

The problem isn't sniping, it's camping. They get behind a cap and set up shop, and some players don't even shoot the people in the cap closest to them. What's worse is if the team wins the cap and the battleships don't move. 

Members
918 posts
2,449 battles
26 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

To your second line: Battleships think they deserve protection because they think they're better than everyone else in the match. It's an ego thing. The same ego thing that leads battleship mains to claim destroyers shouldn't be able to torpedo them, that cruisers shouldn't be able to burn them, that aircraft should evaporate near them. The same thing that leads to people demanding battleships be without a doubt the strongest ship in the game with no counters of any kind. The same kinds of players who think other ships exist only to be targets or to protect them.

I don't hate battleships. But I hate the players who main battleships with the above mindset.

People that usually complain about no support are EVERYONE in random. All ship types. Why do you guys insist on giving everyone a tag? Why can't we just be players. Why does it always have to come down to someone being a "main this or that"? The only use is to negate their opinion on some level.