Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Some General Right Of Way Etiquette

29 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

Please forgive my crappy little diagrams, but some proper etiquette needed in some matches I think.  So if someone backs up into you in a match who's fault is it?  In this example, Battleship a moving at full speed.  Depending on the tier anywhere from 20 knots all the way up to 30 plus knots.  Battleship B is reversing and NOT paying attention to his surroundings at around say 5 to 6 knots.  You are in battleship A moving forward at a good clip.  Oh god what is this guy in battleship B doing?   

OMG this guy just backed up into me.  Battleship B finally realizes his mistake then starts to move forward.  Climbing up to full speed battleship B then gets stuck on the island marked as X.  So with the rule of the right of way who is really at fault Ship A or Ship B.  Ship B starts yelling at Ship A because he or she got stuck on the island marked X.   My personal thought is if you back up pay more attention to who's around you.  Secondly if you pull forward and get stuck on the island in front of you because you could not judge the proper turning distance needed to move around it?  Well then it's your fault.

Untitled.png

• Boring 2

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,530 posts
3,526 battles

Bigger ship gets right of way, after that is the shop to starboard (right side) that had right of way

• Cool 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

If I'm ship A, I'm going to try to avoid B if I notice him.  Unless you stay in binocular mode constantly, that's probably something you should notice.  Turning out a bit to avoid and go around is easier than ramming and coming to a stop.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 2

Members
3,774 posts

Okay so what if you are too close to move out of the way?

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

I mean, him getting to full speed reverse doesn't happen quickly.  If you're that close though, might as well just ram him and then ask if he's lost.  Situational awareness isn't always about just paying attention to what the enemy is doing, gotta work around your teammates as well.  If you see a Yamato going in tight with an island and there's a chance he may not make it, easier to adjust your course a bit to compensate.

e: what it boils down to is if you can get out of the way and do it safely, then do because it's just easier that way.  If I'm the more maneuverable ship, I'm going to do what I can to get out of the way, and if the situation is such that I can't avoid, then it's whatever.

Edited by Deviathan

[NEMO]
Members
69 posts

Had that happen to me on the weekend.I'm in Mo doing 33 knots...a cruiser stops in front of me...I turn right to avoid.He then backs into me forcing me onto a beach where I got focused and killed.He blamed me because he was in a cruiser...wth?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,342 posts
3,669 battles

If it's different classes, the most maneuverable ship has to try and avoid imo.

In your situation would first of all, mash the horn, ships have them for a reason.

Secondly, it depends on whether you are spotted or not. if yes, then avoiding to show broadside is the primary objective. So in that case, Battleship A has to turn in order to show as little surface as possible. If nobody is spotted, Battleship B should gauge his distances and speed better.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,569 battles

I need to start a WoWS insurance company and charge people so I can investigate their "accidents." I'm thinking 100 doubloons a month seems a fair price to make sure we can cover your damages in event it's the policy holders fault.

• Funny 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles
Just now, Hatework said:

I need to start a WoWS insurance company and charge people so I can investigate their "accidents." I'm thinking 100 doubloons a month seems a fair price to make sure we can cover your damages in event it's the policy holders fault.

Need a police boat so you can roll into the scene with your siren on

• Funny 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,569 battles
1 minute ago, Deviathan said:

Need a police boat so you can roll into the scene with your siren on

Funny, but no. I want to be an ambulance Chaser not a first responder. I'm only in it for the money not to be a good human being.

• Funny 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
31 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Then really - :etc_swear: happens. Barring something that gets you severely damaged/killed collisions aren't that big a damn deal. Example in your first post sure, B should be paying attention, but why is A sailing most likely broadside to the enemy? BB's colliding is the most likely and sometimes hardest to prevent because you have two large ships with a ton of momentum that don't usually turn very fast. Happens as well when a cruiser or DD, usually in smoke, suddenly gets to speed but goes to stop in front of your BB and even at full reverse hard over there's a good chance your still running into them.

Unless again, it causes massive damage or your death, not sure why people get so bent out of shape over collisions, especially cruisers and DD's that run into BB's.

[TAFY3]
Members
334 posts
7,165 battles

I agree that bigger ships get right of way.  

It is always best to let the person who is spotted or taking desperate evasive maneuvers to have the right of way, IMHO.

In your diagram, if the bb that was backing up was getting focused, I would like to see him get right of way.  The guy sailing behind is going faster and is more maneuverable because of it.  

We often forget what being on a team means.  We should sacrifice to help each other out of a mistake.  (hard to remember in the heat of things)  We've all been that guy that made a tactical driving error which got compounded by friendly traffic.  

Edited by driedjello

Members
3,774 posts

So that being said as I stated the guy then drives forward and he gets stuck on the island.  Are you to blame or can he or she only blame themselves for not paying attention and getting themselves beached?  I say this because I see so many players becoming toxic over this very matter blaming the ship driver that they originally backed up into.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Please forgive my crappy little diagrams, but some proper etiquette needed in some matches I think.  So if someone backs up into you in a match who's fault is it?  In this example, Battleship a moving at full speed.  Depending on the tier anywhere from 20 knots all the way up to 30 plus knots.  Battleship B is reversing and NOT paying attention to his surroundings at around say 5 to 6 knots.  You are in battleship A moving forward at a good clip.  Oh god what is this guy in battleship B doing?   

OMG this guy just backed up into me.  Battleship B finally realizes his mistake then starts to move forward.  Climbing up to full speed battleship B then gets stuck on the island marked as X.  So with the rule of the right of way who is really at fault Ship A or Ship B.  Ship B starts yelling at Ship A because he or she got stuck on the island marked X.   My personal thought is if you back up pay more attention to who's around you.  Secondly if you pull forward and get stuck on the island in front of you because you could not judge the proper turning distance needed to move around it?  Well then it's your fault.

Untitled.png

Well, in the example you give, battleship B has stand-on course or right of way because battleship A is on his port side, but to avoid the collision, BB-A should slow down and start turning right and BB-B should reverse right.

However, trying to get players in WoWs to follow Maritime etiquette would likely be futile as there is a number who even have a hard time taking personal responsibility for causing team damage when one or more of their torps or shells hits a friendly. That being said, I usually apologize if my ship accidentally rams into another or if I'm in a more maneuverable ship and I turn in front of a bigger, less maneuverable one causing them to have to change speed and/or course. But if anyone is interested in basic boating etiquette:

When you’re cruising along in your powerboat, you’re rarely alone on the water, so you need to know, and follow, boating rules. In boat-speak, you and your vessel either stand-on course because you have the right-of-way, or you give way to a vessel and let it pass first. The action you take depends on what you and the other vessel are doing.

Sailboats under sail power only are always the stand-on vessels in crossing and meeting situations, so look out for them when you’re under power. Also, commercial vessels restricted by their draft or by fishing gear, such as nets or trawls, hold privilege over all recreational vessels, including sailboats.

PASSING A BOAT

• Your vessel: If you’re following another vessel in a river, narrow canal, or marked channel, you’re the give-way vessel, meaning you have the greater burden of responsibility should anything go wrong when you try to pass. Your vessel, in this case, is also called the burdened vessel.

• The other vessel: The vessel you want to pass is the stand-on vessel. It’s privileged and the skipper can deny you passage if she thinks it’s unsafe (or doesn’t like the color of your paint).

• Asking permission to pass: You sound two short blasts from your horn, signifying you’d like to pass the skipper on his port (left) side.

• Receiving permission to pass: He signals back with two short blasts to say “Okay!”

• Permission denied: She blasts the horn five times, signifying there’s danger involved in such a maneuver. If she doesn’t respond at all, consider it five short blasts and don’t attempt to pass.

CROSSING PATHS

• Your vessel: You’re on a crossing course with another vessel that could result in a collision if neither boat changes course or speed.

• The other vessel’s on the right: It’s the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must let it pass in front of you.

• The other vessel is on the left: You’re the privileged or stand-on vessel and you must pass in front of the other vessel.

MEETING A BOAT HEAD-ON

• Your vessel: You’re meeting another vessel head-on.

• Both vessels: You should both steer to the right to such a degree that each can see the other’s intentions to pass safely portside to portside (left to left, for the landlubber).

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

When it seems like no one but you knows or follows the rules, the rules say you must give way to avoid a collision. If you exercise stand-on privilege and an accident results, you’ll be held at least partially responsible.

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

If you're too close to move out of the way ...

If you're in battleship A, it's your own damned fault for not paying attention.  Heck, to a lesser degree, even if you're in BB-B, you're not making things better by being oblivious to the situation around you.  I say "to a lesser degree" because BB-A would appear to have a great ability to avoid this collision than BB-B, because he's moving at a greater speed, and appears to have more room and speed to maneuver around BB-B, whereas BB-B is moving so slowly in reverse that he can't turn to avoid a collision and the only thing he can do is try to stop backing up, which will take quite a while to accomplish.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

In truth, both ships should make the effort to get out of the way.

The reversing ship imo has the right of way tho.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,223 battles

In this game its pretty simple as stated previously.  Largest ship has the right of way.  BBs acc dec are longer so don't screw them over by getting in their way, and putting your CA and DD to a dead stop...which I always shoot at when I see this happen on the other team.   Check your mini map often, like using  your mirrors in your car...pretty much every 5-10s, I do this on reload of guns, pretty simple.  You start seeing your dot converge on another dot, then look out of binoc view... i will go from binoc to out view even in a DD duel about every 2 s to check for obstacles...island or hitting another ship is pretty much death in a duel.   BBs backing should have the right of way...there is a reason they are trying to get out of there, don't stop them dead in the water with a collision.  Horns work well in some cases...use them!  Let someone know your coming through.  Collisions happen, at least you and your teammates ships don't sink...TY WG for that....  try and type off a quick sorry even if your in the right... no need for sea rage in a game, we come here to relax......right?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Big ships get right of way. If you know the ship, you can sorta guess how fast it will take for it to either get out the way or be in your wave. Depending on the battle, I am willing to smack into you with my DD (on the side) so that I can pop smoke and give you cover.

57 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

In this game its pretty simple as stated previously.  Largest ship has the right of way.  BBs acc dec are longer so don't screw them over by getting in their way, and putting your CA and DD to a dead stop...which I always shoot at when I see this happen on the other team.   Check your mini map often, like using  your mirrors in your car...pretty much every 5-10s, I do this on reload of guns, pretty simple.  You start seeing your dot converge on another dot, then look out of binoc view... i will go from binoc to out view even in a DD duel about every 2 s to check for obstacles...island or hitting another ship is pretty much death in a duel.   BBs backing should have the right of way...there is a reason they are trying to get out of there, don't stop them dead in the water with a collision.  Horns work well in some cases...use them!  Let someone know your coming through.  Collisions happen, at least you and your teammates ships don't sink...TY WG for that....  try and type off a quick sorry even if your in the right... no need for sea rage in a game, we come here to relax......right?

Right-click is my best friend. It must hurt some people who watch my videos from my Youtube because I do it so much.

[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,996 battles

Right of way rules are nice, but it really depends on the driver.  Some will make an effort not to collide.  Others will say I'm going straight and let the other guy turn regardless of the situation.  I am sure we have seen some people deliberately try to run others into islands instead of making a small course change.  Yet more will turn in front of you and cut across your bow to get to the other side, then get pissed when you hit them.  There is no amount of education that will fix the second two groups of morons.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I forget to mention that I will intentionally hit a island with my BB (Richelieu) if I know there are a lot of enemies on the other side of the island so that I can slow down faster.

Members
2,223 posts
14,034 battles

Last time someone told me bigger ship has the right of way in a match I said great then you're leading the way into the cap and suddenly they changed their mind...rofl

• Funny 1

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
5 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I forget to mention that I will intentionally hit a island with my BB (Richelieu) if I know there are a lot of enemies on the other side of the island so that I can slow down faster.

Aye. I do that sometimes as well. I'm sure glad we don't take damage from colliding with land masses. :cap_yes:

2 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Last time someone told me bigger ship has the right of way in a match I said great then you're leading the way into the cap and suddenly they changed their mind...rofl

LOL :Smile_teethhappy:

[5D]
Members
1,226 posts
7,122 battles
3 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Bigger ship gets right of way, after that is the shop to starboard (right side) that had right of way

If I'm in a squishy cruiser and there's a bb lobbing little magic "help you to the next game" bits at me... imma maneuver in whatever way has the greatest chance of survival... regardless of displacement.

That's especially true if the bb I'm ramming is simply puttering along broadside to the bad guys. 

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
318 posts
4,601 battles

Now

Who's fault is it if Battleship A is backing to avoid torpedoes and Battleship B hits A and uses him like a mine clearing barge?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, cavscout1739 said:

Now

Who's fault is it if Battleship A is backing to avoid torpedoes and Battleship B hits A and uses him like a mine clearing barge?

The torpedoes 

Sign in to follow this