You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
galspanic

How valuable is the first 19 Point Captain?

19 comments in this topic

[WPP]
Members
455 posts
5,107 battles

One of my personal goals lately has been to get my Fiji Captain to 19 points.  I don't spend real cash on Doubloons, I'm not playing anything with clans, or anything outside the 3 main game modes - if I want to retrain captains I need to spend credits and drop them in Co-Op until they are back to 100%.  Here's where he's at:
VyiqyWX.png
As you can see I have more than enough in-game currency to get him to 19 points.  I own the Nelson, hate playing high tier and have no interest in the other FreeXP Premiums, and don't mind grinding out stock ships in Co-Op.  Basically, I have all that Elite EXP from the Cleveland switch and 300K Free EXP that I don't see myself using in the near future.  I have my Fiji, Duke of York, and Nelson all able to carry flags and get 8000-12000 EXP with non-fancy flags in a first win.
My questions is, would you pull the trigger and do it or just wait it out a month until he organically hits 19 points?  

[-TKS-]
Members
284 posts
5,597 battles

i dont have a 19 yet but was thinking about this scenario with my capatins.  if you play the ship a bunch like several matches every time you log in then it might be worth it as youll collect exp. the 2nd thing is will the ship be improved by the extra points . ie: the atlanta really plays better with a 14 point captain then a 10 point one. so putting points on it is worth it asap. on the other hand will the north carolina really benefit much from 10 to 14 , eh not really the grind isnt that bad. without a 19 point captain i have to treat my elite xp as the most valuable commodity as i use it to swap captains from ships and i have a decent amount it.  

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

The first 19 point captain makes getting the second one easier.  Having two makes getting 3 super easy and it just goes from there.

Since you can also us elite captain xp to retrain captains now, I'd say having 19 point captains (even just 2-3) makes this game alot easier.  

That said, I would only pit 19 point captains in lines you play and enjoy alot.  All mine are in IJN botes as those are the ones I usually play.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,357 posts

19 point captains means all captain xp earned on it can be applied to other commanders.

But don't blow free xp to get him there. keep free xp to buy ship modules.

• Cool 2

[FARQD]
Members
306 posts
5,910 battles

Easy to earn the elite commander XP once you get your first 19 point captain but not so easy to earn free XP. Would suggest to hold on to your free exp and grind your captain to get him to 19 point.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,825 posts
3,974 battles
28 minutes ago, galspanic said:

My questions is, would you pull the trigger and do it or just wait it out a month until he organically hits 19 points?  

If I were in your shoes with your resources right now I would NOT do it, because I don't yet have the Nelson. It would, I admit, be very tempting.

In your shoes with your resources, the Nelson bought and no other conceivable use for the Free XP? It would be very hard to stop myself from doing it.

Mind you, if I could pile on those flags and get those results in a month and have fun doing it? I'd wait the month and grind it out.

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles

I'd save it. It gives you a goal, something to work towards.  And the goal of 19pt captains is mostly...to get elite xp. It will take quite a while to get back to 190k elite xp. Which will be more of a grind to switch captains as you work up different lines.  

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,741 battles

I agree with others here:  don't use Free XP on captain training.

Use xp flags and grind the ship/captain.

[S0L0]
Members
853 posts
4,668 battles

I'll swim upstream.

Do it.

The first time is the hardest, once you have 2, 3 is pretty easy.

Matt

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,200 posts
8,798 battles
38 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

19 point captains means all captain xp earned on it can be applied to other commanders.

But don't blow free xp to get him there. keep free xp to buy ship modules.

This, or save those points for the next Free Experience ship.

[TAFY3]
Members
334 posts
7,157 battles

You're daily driver high-tier ship should be the first thing you put your 19 pointer on when you have them.  You should fly capt exp flags on it and play it regularly to fill your pool of free capt exp!  I bought a Kidd and took her captain from 0 to 19 points in just a couple of clicks by doing this.  

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,964 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

It is great to have but nowhere near the cost of using free XP. Do the math. You’re 198k commander XP shy. Without any flags or boosts you need 198k XP on ships that captain is in to get him to 19. If you spend that 198k free XP, without flags or boosts you will need 3,960,000 XP in order to get that free XP back. 3,960,000 XP or 198,000 XP. Which is easier to get?

Once you get the first 19, work on another nation to get them to 19. Keep rotating through any premium ships you have and leveling up commanders gets super easy.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,816 battles

I would not use free XP for commander training.

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,550 battles

I currently have 34 19pt captains and I have not and never will use FXP for any captain training.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,825 posts
3,974 battles
8 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

I would not use free XP for commander training.

A fine attitude to take, but OP is probably thinking "This is my first 19 point commander, and I will never have to use free XP for captain training again." It's a mighty strong temptation.

[SYN]
Members
509 posts
5,971 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

Use Elite XP to get him to 18. Then when he gets another 200 k, use the 101 K of elite XP left to put him to 19.

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles
1 hour ago, Hatework said:

The first 19 point captain makes getting the second one easier.  Having two makes getting 3 super easy and it just goes from there.

Since you can also us elite captain xp to retrain captains now, I'd say having 19 point captains (even just 2-3) makes this game alot easier. 

This.  With appropriate signals, daily bonus, and a decent camo it's not all that difficult to earn 10k+ commander XP in a single battle, which will help you to rebuild your elite commander XP pretty quickly.  That, in turn, will allow you to get your second 19-point commander before too long, and so on.

Re-earning all that free XP will take longer, but again you can do it relatively painlessly via signals, daily bonuses, and camos.  And in your case you don't really have anything else to spend it on, so there's no point saving it.

360 posts
194 battles

Free XP is more useful to get stock ships playable getting those essential mods. I also use it to leapfrog over really bad boats. I can't recommend using it to get a Commander to 19pts when that will happen on its own in due time.

[WPP]
Members
455 posts
5,107 battles

Thank you all.  Sounds like I might put him to 18 and then grind out the last point in those 3 tier 7s.
I'n the last year the only thing I spent free EXP on was the Nelson and this 307K would only go towards another FreeXP Premium at or below tier 8... But, I'm not actually in a huge hurry (if I was would I play Co-Op half the time and grind stock ships there without flags? No.) and getting him to 18 points means I can pick up another 4-point skill before he hits 19.