Sign in to follow this  

14 comments in this topic

[JFSOC]
Members
916 posts
2,651 battles

Very impressive model.  But, if I may ask, why Zuiho?  Seems a bit of an odd choice.

Beta Testers
37 posts
7,874 battles
1 hour ago, Murotsu said:

Very impressive model.  But, if I may ask, why Zuiho?  Seems a bit of an odd choice.

I have always like the Zuiho (way before WOWS ever existed).  I explain "why the Zuiho" in the first page of the site:

"Zuiho's sister, Shoho, had the ignominious fate of being the first aircraft carrier sunk in the Pacific war as she took part in the first battle in history where neither surface fleet saw one another. The now famous term, "Scratch on flattop" was first uttered over the radio by an American airman as he watched the Shoho sink. The Zuiho, on the other hand, fought in the Pacific war for 3 years and saw action in several battles. She was sacrificed, along with several other carriers, in the Battle of Cape Engano in late 1944 to give Admiral Kurita's surface force time to decimate the landing forces at Leyte... I have always wanted to build a warship in this scale and toyed with the idea of the Takao or the Fuso, but those models were much more complicated. A light carrier was "simpler" and would be a good "beginners" project into building in this scale. Besides, no one is selling large warship kits in this scale and, if they are, they are charging thousands of dollars for such a kit. Certainly the Zuiho would never be mass produced in this scale, so the finished product would be quite unique"

The camo pattern was cool as well. 

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
Members
916 posts
2,651 battles

Well, it's a nice model.  Did a model of the USS Rendova (CVE 116) for someone years ago in the same scale.  But, it was waterline.

Beta Testers
37 posts
7,874 battles
4 hours ago, Murotsu said:

Well, it's a nice model.  Did a model of the USS Rendova (CVE 116) for someone years ago in the same scale.  But, it was waterline.

Thanks for the kind words.  And now it’s my turn to ask: why the Rendova (she was CVE 114 BTW)?  You were contracted to build her?

[JFSOC]
Members
916 posts
2,651 battles
5 minutes ago, foehammer273 said:

Thanks for the kind words.  And now it’s my turn to ask: why the Rendova (she was CVE 114 BTW)?  You were contracted to build her?

Yea.  Some retiring federal judge.  I was a fairly easy model to build due to the simplicity of the design.  Somebody who knew I did scratch builds asked me to do it (in two weeks!) for $300.  That was back in 1983.  

1,542 posts
26 battles

Outstanding! How long did it take? What kind of paint did you use? Spray or brush?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles
On 6/18/2018 at 3:58 PM, Murotsu said:

Why?  Zuiho's combat record was very good.  She was one of the most involved IJN carriers of the war.

Very nice model, OP

Edited by crzyhawk

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,045 battles

Outside two Fleet Carriers of the Shokaku-class, Zuiho was the only other IJN Carrier, Fleet or CVL, to have seen as much combat.

Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, Hiryu didn't see as much action.

The other CVLs didn't do much.

Taiho sank on her first combat sortie.

Shinano was an embarrassment.

The new Unryu-class CVs didn't even get carrier air groups as no pilots were left.

In Japanese Carrier Aviation, Zuiho, Shokaku, Zuikaku carried the workload post-Midway against an ever increasing USN carrier force.  When Zuiho and Zuikaku sink at Leyte Gulf / Cape Engano in late 1944, the last of the old Kido Butai ceased to exist.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this