You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

I know this gets asked a lot but....

19 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

Did they nerf free XP? Cuz....

1855d41f42.png

This doesn't seem right at all. I was getting 1k-1500 with the appropriate signals, but even considering that, 95 for 60k damage and that number of badges, WITH 2 days left of free premium status is just *painful*. Without premium it woulda been 63. Am I missing something from having been away from the game for the past 6 months??

Edited by Stormie1126

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Did you run out of the free xp boosting signals?

Yes, I mentioned that. My point was even without the signals, that seems WAY too much of a cut. It also doesn't make sense cuz I just had a match after that/after posting where I had similar damage, less badges, but 400-500 free XP, no signals. Dafuq?

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles

Free xp is calculated as 5% of your regular xp score, before any free xp multipliers.

In this case, 1889*(0.05) = 94.45, or about 95 free xp.

It seems you've run out of whatever other boosts you had.

Edited by Avenge_December_7

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
1 minute ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Free xp is calculated as 5% of your regular xp score, before any free xp multipliers.

In this case, 1889*(0.05) = 94.45, or about 95 free xp.

It seems you've run out of whatever other boosts you had.

Hmmmkay....if you can answer this, how is ship XP calculated? IIRC it *used* to be just straight damage, nothing/little for caps or badges, but they adjusted that, didn't they?

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles
4 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Hmmmkay....if you can answer this, how is ship XP calculated? IIRC it *used* to be just straight damage, nothing/little for caps or badges, but they adjusted that, didn't they?

It's factored based upon the percentage of damage you do vs. each ship's total hit point pool (i.e., 10k damage to a destroyer is worth much more than 10k damage to a battleship), with a bonus for sinking the ship.  Caps, defenses, spotting, tanking, etc. are all factored in but will almost always be dwarfed by the XP earned for doing damage.  As far as I know WarGaming has never announced the exact details.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
Just now, Harv72b said:

It's factored based upon the percentage of damage you do vs. each ship's total hit point pool (i.e., 10k damage to a destroyer is worth much more than 10k damage to a battleship), with a bonus for sinking the ship.  Caps, defenses, spotting, tanking, etc. are all factored in but will almost always be dwarfed by the XP earned for doing damage.  As far as I know WarGaming has never announced the exact details.

Ahhh. Makes a bit more sense now. They should release the specifics though, cuz then it wouldn't be so confusing to get those numbers, then in the match I just had now in my New York I got 2 hits worth 3k damage before dying, got about  1600 ship XP and 74 free XP.

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles
1 minute ago, Stormie1126 said:

The exact equation is unknown, however there are a few known factors that affect base xp:

• you are judged less by your amount of damage (of course, more damage is good) than by the proportion of damage dealt to a single target; basically, doing 8k to a destroyer will earn you a lot more than 8k on a battleship
  • damaging higher tier ships earns you a bonus
  • also a bonus for capping (but apparently it's a multiplier that is only calculated if you win)
  • small bonus for a kill, but a very small one

[NGUNS]
[NGUNS]
Members
199 posts
1,786 battles
2 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Ahhh. Makes a bit more sense now. They should release the specifics though, cuz then it wouldn't be so confusing to get those numbers, then in the match I just had now in my New York I got 2 hits worth 3k damage before dying, got about  1600 ship XP and 74 free XP.

They really shouldn't release the details, because then DDs would be prime targets.  

They get enough crapas it is.  

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles
8 minutes ago, Ie_Shima said:

They really shouldn't release the details, because then DDs would be prime targets.  

They get enough crapas it is.  

Like every gun doesn't already turn toward a spotted DD!

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
10 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Agreed, DDs are primary targets anyway. Releasing the details wouldn't change this.

[STURM]
Members
266 posts
2,754 battles
36 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Agreed, DDs are primary targets anyway. Releasing the details wouldn't change this.

Pretty sure the actual reason they don't release details is that they don't want people gaming the system in a way that empathizes personal economic benefit over actual teamplay. God knows teamwork is rare enough already.

And as for low free exp gain, signals that boost free exp boost it by a ton compared to regular exp. Papa Papa boosts free exp by 300%, while Charlie London boosts regular exp by 50%. Running out of free exp flags will tank your gain.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles

I can explain XP earning somewhat.  I had the chance to sit down with Sub_Octavian and he explained quite a bit of it to me towards the end of 2017.

http://shipcomrade.com/news/365/spotting-scouting-and-experience-gains.html

• Cool 2

[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
2 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

Only on the winning team. I can tell you the losing team happily ignores dds spotted or otherwise.

Members
7 posts
4,136 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 10:47 PM, Baskerville77 said:

Pretty sure the actual reason they don't release details is that they don't want people gaming the system in a way that empathizes personal economic benefit over actual teamplay. God knows teamwork is rare enough already.

And as for low free exp gain, signals that boost free exp boost it by a ton compared to regular exp. Papa Papa boosts free exp by 300%, while Charlie London boosts regular exp by 50%. Running out of free exp flags will tank your gain.

Even if they didn't release the exact formula, giving a basic idea of what is rewarded seems like an easy way to promote team-based play. If WG made it obvious that capping objectives and spotting damage were lucrative activities, more people would do them.

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,848 posts
3,518 battles
On 6/18/2018 at 12:40 AM, Stormie1126 said:

They will never release it because the WOT devs said players try to break the system