You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ThatOddMan

Atago, HSF Harekaze, or Kidd [Or Indianapolis]

35 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
325 battles

I already checked some of the videos on game plays and reviews. 

I mainly play IJN.

Maybe I am asking is a newbie friendly destroyers while I grind for the IJN battleships. And I need some credit income since I don't have a premium account.

I shelved playing aircraft carriers for now because I almost always ran out of planes playing Zuiho.

I added Indianapolis, although a cruiser, since the 10 point captain bundle is tempting.

EDIT: The pricing are around the same for those 3 except the Indianapolis at $55.96 for the 10 point captain bundle.

Edited by ThatOddMan

Members
1,114 posts
3,141 battles

Don't get Indy, nothing really special there. You can earn her for free right now, and a 10 point commander doesn't take that long to get to. 

Harekaze has 3 gun variants but is a mostly torpedo focused destroyer. If you're into that then she isn't a bad choice. You can use this ship as a normal IJN premium- you can disable the anime skin and use her to train standard IJN commanders. 

Kidd is a Fletcher at tier 8 with one slowly loading launcher of fish that really aren't that impressive, but has very good AA and a heal. 

Atago is a great example of a typical high tier IJN heavy cruiser. Great HE, slow reload, good torps, great stealth. One of two cruisers at tier 8 that has a heal. 

If you're grinding IJN battleships why not go for Mutsu or Kii for a commander trainer? Kii will earn a lot of credits, but if you do better in any of the premiums I mentioned you will earn a lot. Premiums can help but credit earning comes down to battle preformance. If you're just playing IJN in general then you can't go wrong with Kii, Harekaze or Atago. All three are solid ships. 

• Cool 1

Members
755 posts
3,929 battles

There are no newbie friendly destroyers, really. It's a very high risk, high reward playstyle.

The Harekaze makes the most sense because it's IJN and can be used to train up IJN DD captains.

That being said, the Harekaze is also extremely fragile, slower than most other DDs (even IJN) at its tier without a speed flag, and its most effective set of guns (the 4-10 hull with the 100mm IJN guns) requires a high level build to work effectively (we're talking like 16 points).

Its most effective guns without that are the 127/54s that lack raw DPS (i.e you are not going to win a DD-v-DD gunfight with only 3 guns).

You're basically going to be a Kagero with easier but still weak guns.

I agree with Carbon that you should just get Kii if you're going to train for IJN BBs.

Members
2,077 posts

Best noob friendly ship IMO is only the Kidd. The rest take a lot of skill. You should also think about Scharnhorst... It's a great all around ship and you get that sweet T7 MMing. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles

Indy is kinda [edited] (and can be earned free right now anyways)

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,368 battles

I would take the Destroyer. Atago not such a fun ship to play in current times

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,134 posts
3,073 battles

If you're grinding IJN battleships... perhaps a Premium IJN BB might be a better choice right now? Ok, so maybe you're preparing for the future grind through the IJN DD line. I can understand.

I actually recommend Mutsu instead. Despite being a down-tiered weaker version of Nagato, she's actually pretty decent at her tier... and since she's a BB, she has far better survivability than the others you mentioned. Additionally, IMHO, the best part is that you can also take her into Tier VI Operations for some nice rewards, should you be up for tackling them.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[NGUNS]
[NGUNS]
Members
199 posts
1,786 battles
11 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

I would take the Destroyer. Atago not such a fun ship to play in current times

I find the Atago to be quite fun, as it embodies what the IJN cruiser line is: stealthy, evil, flamethrowers.  

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,692 battles

They're all fun ships. I personally prefer Atago since I tend to play a ton of Japanese cruisers :Smile-_tongue:

[TBW]
Members
6,308 posts
11,856 battles

You already know which one you really want,

59 minutes ago, ThatOddMan said:

I mainly play IJN.

Maybe I am asking is a newbie friendly destroyers while I grind for the IJN battleships. And I need some credit income since I don't have a premium account.

I shelved playing aircraft carriers for now because I almost always ran out of planes playing Zuiho.

I added Indianapolis, although a cruiser, since the 10 point captain bundle is tempting.

EDIT: The pricing are around the same for those 3 except the Indianapolis at $55.96 for the 10 point captain bundle.

get that one. I find the Atago the hardest one to play.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,654 battles
9 minutes ago, ZuikakuKaiNi said:

They're all fun ships. I personally prefer Atago since I tend to play a ton of Japanese cruisers :Smile-_tongue:

This, love Atago!  

[YETI]
Members
99 posts
4,093 battles

Atago has heal at T8 and is a good credit earner.    Plus has 10km torps with great launch angles.  Did I mention heal at T8!!!

[CAST]
Members
1,396 posts
5,788 battles

You're looking for two things which are mutually exclusive to each other: a newbie-friendly destroyer which will also net you good credit income.  I say this because, premium or no, a ship needs to be at tier 7 or higher to really earn you credits, and those tiers by definition are not friendly to new players (particularly not when the player in question doesn't have very many games in that ship type).

If you just want a premium ship, period, which is easy to play and will earn you relatively good credit totals, you cannot beat the Giulio Cesare in terms of bang for the buck.  It's a seriously good tier 5 battleship which can more than hold its own even when facing tier 7 opponents.  But for pure credit earning potential you'd be much better off sinking your money into premium time & sticking with the grind(s) you're already working on.

[-TKS-]
Members
283 posts
5,522 battles

I think the vampire is about the only noob friendly DD specially if you haven't played middle tier dd's . the presence of radar only makes it worse . with no flags I always made more money with the atago then the MO so I like it very much . 

I hear a lot of bad thing about the indy but yet when its top tier I see it wreck some stuff and when not TT it does ok . Hopefully can do the mission and get it myself. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,200 posts
8,657 battles

Harekaze is really only good as the Akizuki variant, in my opinion. If you already own an Akizuki, then yeah, get that. Someone mentioned Mutsu, hmmm, gets eaten by CV's; Kii is a better option. If you like cruisers, you can hardly go wrong with Atago.

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,692 battles
27 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

This, love Atago!  

You have great taste in ships! :fish_cute_2:

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,888 posts
3,262 battles
1 hour ago, NATOMarksman said:

slower than most other DDs (even IJN) at its tier

IJN DD at her tier:

Akizuki: 33 knots
Kagero: 35 knots
Asashio: 35 knots
Harekaze: 35.5 knots

Harekaze is the fastest tier 8 IJN DD. Her speed is literally the same as Yugumo's.

Harekaze is more than just your standard Torpedo boat. Her ability to mount 3 different gun variants, allows for a change in gameplay. HOWEVER: Do not use the 127/54 variant. Seriously, those suck. 100/65 variant is the most commonly used, because of the 3 second reload, and turning her into 3/4 an Akizuki, when looking strictly at the gun turrets.

[TF57]
Members
1,236 posts
3,916 battles

None of the above.

Indianapolis is poor.

Harekaze is beyond your skill level to properly use.

Atago is probably beyond your skill level as well.

Buy premium time instead.

Premium makes lots of money, and turns every ship into a "premium" credit  wise.

If you must buy a premium, maybe a T6 IJN BB (Kii?) you can also use in operations, and train your IJN BB captains on. At this stage, the only reason to buy a premium is to train captains.

Edited by evilleMonkeigh
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, ThatOddMan said:

I mainly play IJN.

The thing about both the Kidd and the Kaze is that they both need a high-skill Skipper to get the most from them - and the T8 MM for DDs is not a forgiving one, ATM - and its about to get worse, with the US CL line about to release.

I hope you won't think me presumptuous - but I had a look at your stats, and if they are correct, your highest tier ships are a couple of T5 BBs - and not a DD in your port.

I absolutely guarantee you that both the Kidd and Kaze will frustrate you absolutely, at your experience level.  The Atago will not be a lot better, for you - given you have no cruisers in your port, and it often sees T10.

I would echo another poster's sentiment - if you're set on a premium purchase - have a look at the Scharnhorst.  Its a great ship - capable of making good credits, and much more forgiving of your lack of experience.

Otherwise my best advice would be to spend that money on premium time, and start grinding the German BBs - it would be the line I'd most recommend to a new player, as they are very competitive, capable of good damage, and tanky enough to be comfortable for new players.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,310 posts
11,408 battles

Atago. 

Heal and Japanese HE.

The Harekazi requires a special build to use the recommended 100 MM guns. 

The Kidd is USN destroyer gunboat, so it's not Japanese and it's gimmick is A.A.

Play the challenges and win Indy for free.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Unless you have a second account I'd recommend none of them. All of the premiums are medium/high tier ships that require a good amount of game knowledge to have fun with. You don't want to become the typical Atago player... Typical Atago player torpedoes friendlies and gets dev striked.

My recommendation is to play some more battles. As you like IJN I'd would recommend to follow the IJN cruiser line. It is a very decent line and at tier 7 you will get the Myoko, which is a very capable ship. If you can play this one well versus tier 9s than I'd say you are ready for the Atago.

So enjoy the game and get some game experience. The higher tiers are just a world of difference. 50 bucks is a lot of money and you won't enjoy those ships with the experience you have, assuming this is your first account. Besides, the IJN cruiser line is a very enjoyable line. So there is also no need to grab the Atago right now. 

You can buy some premium time as evilleMonkeigh suggested to go through the lines a little bit faster.

PS: DD play is different in the higher tiers, because some ships have access in those tiers to the radar consumable. You cannot really compare low tier DD play with high tier DD play. The amount of experience you need to be decent is much higher. It depends mostly on being able to read the mini map well, knowing what ships have radar, radar range and radar time and scouting. In the lower tiers you can just derp around and release some metal fishes to probably a straight liner.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
5 hours ago, ThatOddMan said:

I mainly play IJN.

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

I have to agree with the other players who have said: none you propose. 

The best bang for your buck, and some of the most fun premium ships that also happen to be newbie friendly are the Guilo Cesare (T5 Italian BB) and Scharnhorst (T7 German BB). 

After getting one or both of those, you can grind IJN cruisers to Myoko - if you enjoy that, get an Atago. Grind USN DDs to Nicholas (though I prefer Farragut) before getting the Sims or Kidd. And give IJN DDs a go before getting the Harekaze - they tend to be feast or famine, so can be a hard line to play. 

Personally, I think USN DDs and German Battleships are the easiest and most forgiven ng to play - very newbie friendly. That’s why I do well in them. UK Cruisers are probably the hardest - don’t run those until you get familiar with the game mechanics. 

Otherwise, good luck! Feel free to message me in-game if you’d like someone to run with. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,406 posts
25,228 battles
21 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

If you're grinding IJN battleships why not go for Mutsu or Kii for a commander trainer? Kii will earn a lot of credits, but if you do better in any of the premiums I mentioned you will earn a lot. Premiums can help but credit earning comes down to battle preformance. If you're just playing IJN in general then you can't go wrong with Kii, Harekaze or Atago. All three are solid ships. 

Carbon nailed it. I'd go with Kii, prints credits, not as difficult a playstyle as Harekaze or Atago. Also, your Kii captain can easily be used in any IJN BB and vice versa, while your Harekaze captain may not transfer as easily depending on which guns you run and what specialized skills you need. Atago is excellent boat but in today's meta is a very demanding ship to play well. 

Members
821 posts
3,880 battles

As mentioned buy premium time. not only cr , but the more XP every battle , is where it is really at from a ship grinding POV.

Yes, premi ships Gulio and Scharn , good boats it seems, I might suggest the Graf Spee too, that ship is a regular fun Swiss Army Knife and makes cr's good with premi time.

For the IJN BB's or DD's you don't need any premi ships, I would suggest just Premi time. Most line IJN BB's and DD's are good boats at their teirs and what they run into. Not familiar with new Kii BB.

You are missing out quiting at Zuiho in IJN CV"s , suffer though her(with premi time it is short) , becuase Rhuyjo is where the IJN CV's shine and start their permanent WG enforced dominance, and they dont lose it, since they deballed Ranger and its AS loadout.

As mention none of your proposed premium ship buys is good ,as/ or they are high skill boats to be good, except for that Harakaze, which IMO given the reg tier IJN DD's that  perform as good, is simply not required. or justifiable.  At T4+ there simply are no bad IJN DD's , they are all good, though I thought Akatsuki was mediocre and think Akizuki is a very specialized situational gunship.  The real boring and "not too good at its tier or anywhere" IJN DD is Shimakaze, after you drive around with Kag and Yugo like Billy  Joe bad-[edited]stealth ninja killer , the no TRB slow reloading Shima is a let-down, for what should be a reward ship at T10. They have nerfed her(becuase how ijn torps work) and her guns are same as T8 and T9, and the zillion radar ships hurt her more than either Kag or Yugo, which can handle the new battle-scene  better IMO.

With premi time in normal course of things , you'll hit a 10pt capt at T6 IIRC.on IJN's DD,

So, no premi ships for IJN needed for DD's or BB's , and get Rhyujo. 

Edited by Strachwitz666