You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

I must know is it my fault if I have to steer in front of someones torpedoes?

83 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts

I really have to ask this.   I know it's probably been said doesn't of times.  But some folks just don't seem to get it.  If a ship is behind you regardless of what ship type you are in cruiser destroyer bb or even CV.  If the person behind you is in a ship that has torpedo capability and they fire behind you.  Is it really your fault if you have to turn into them or you actually turn the direction that the torpedoes are headed?  We get in arguments here on the forums all the time and in game about it.

The main rule of thumb that I have learned very early on in the game  is never fire behind a friendly ship.  But even still.  Myself or anyone else playing shouldn't have to watch out for someone else's torpedoes if they have been launched from behind regardless of who is at fault.  The individual that fired from behind well the way I see it, it's your fault and your fault alone.  Not mine not anyone else's fault but yours.  But I think more etiquite should be put into a players game play.  I know I can be a potato player.  I have been.   But that doesn't mean fire a torpedo behind me.  I can see if I'm already out of the way and free and clear then go for it.   

Even at the higher tiers I'm seeing this happen on a constant basis.  Again I will bluntly say if I'm in front of you and shoot it's your fault not mine don't get salty on me because I had to turn or turned into your torpedoes.  I think if a little more care from players came into play the game would be better no one would be making this stupid tier 1 and tier 2 mistakes.  This diagram yea forgive the crappieness of it but DO NOT DO THIS.

If you fire them and they hit a player, yes it is your fault.

Untitled.png

Edited by SuperSpud1
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Members
449 posts
12,210 battles

This is a no-brainer and has been a no-brainer since day one.

You fire them.

You own them.

Your fault.

• Cool 5

Members
3,774 posts
1 minute ago, Prothall said:

You fire them.

You own them.

Your fault.

It still seems no one really gets that fact though.  For example if I can't go right for any number of reason I can't go straight that only leaves me with going left.

Edited by SuperSpud1

Members
227 posts
4,386 battles

It's actually a very simple rule:  if you're going to torp, make sure there are NO friendlies in front of you.

That means that you're a friendly ship, between the target and a torp boat,  you shouldn't have to worry. 

That said a tactical situation may cause the torp boat to take a gamble. 

Everyone should be aware of their surroundings. 

[MIA-A]
Members
1,968 posts
6,553 battles

If I can, I will 100% of the time take teammate torpedoes.

The fact that it's been so hard means I either:

1. Have massive luck with torps
  2. Don't ball up with the rest of the team
  3. Am bad at running into my teammates torps

I think it's mostly #2. But I'm still waiting! 

:D

Members
227 posts
4,386 battles

Once,  a friendly DD TK'd me,  ...and I TK'd him, because we were both torping the same target between us. 

Many LOLs in chat insued.

Members
3,774 posts

Oh I've had it happen twice to me today.  But I've had it happen many many times previous.  

Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles

A lot of people don't even bother looking up the torpedo range on their ships when they play ships that have torpedoes. That's why you see cruisers firing off their 5-6km torpedoes when the closest enemies are at least 9-10km away. And of course, these friendly torpedoes are every bit as deadly as enemy torpedoes. Again, it makes me wonder how they got their accounts to mid-tier / high tier.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles
1 minute ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

A lot of people don't even bother looking up the torpedo range on their ships when they play ships that have torpedoes. That's why you see cruisers firing off their 5-6km torpedoes when the closest enemies are at least 9-10km away. And of course, these friendly torpedoes are every bit as deadly as enemy torpedoes. Again, it makes me wonder how they got their accounts to mid-tier / high tier.

Oh man,  I remember those days.  Sweet,  innocent little me with no idea what torpedo ranges were firing at distant targets thinking I was being tactical.

Members
3,774 posts
4 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Its sad but unfortunately true.  I know depending on what ship I'm playing or not even though I'm working on DDs right now, my Minsk only has a measily 4 KM.  But even though they are only 4KM if there is a friendly player in front of me or even near me.  I'll stick to guns.  I don't like to think of the risk of becoming a PINKY.

Edited by SuperSpud1

Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
1 minute ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Its sad but unfortunately true.  I know depending on what ship I'm playing or not even though I'm working on DDs right now, my Minsk only has a measily 4 KM.  But even though they are only 4KM if there is a friendly player in front of me or even near me.  I'll stick to guns.  I don't like to think of the risk of becoming a PINKY.

Russian destroyers are essentially gunboats. Most of the time you'll be pretending your torps barely exist. Exceptions don't occur until Udaloi and Khabarovsk, I think, as well as premiums like Leningrad.

I can't help but cringe when I see a Budyonny fire his 4km torps right behind me when I am shooting at an enemy. 

Members
227 posts
4,386 battles
3 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Something else I see are cruisers (mostly) torping during a knife fight.  1 of those torps misses and it might find an ally. 

Remember it's a valid tactic for DD's to blind fire strategic locations.   Of course they should remember their ranges &keep track of allies. 

Members
3,774 posts

Even if and when I'm in my Gearing Shim or even my Ibuki I still wont fire off torps if friendlies are even thinking about going in front of me or if I'm behind them.

Edited by SuperSpud1

Members
2,117 posts
4,735 battles
1 minute ago, Comrade_Nemo said:

Something else I see are cruisers (mostly) torping during a knife fight.  1 of those torps misses and it might find an ally. 

Remember it's a valid tactic for DD's to blind fire strategic locations.   Of course they should remember their ranges &keep track of allies. 

And also there are some players who ask whether their ships have torps when their ships clearly don't. One guy, whom I'm pretty sure was a total noob that bought a Warspite, was asking in chat whether Warspite has torps.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,848 battles

There have been many times when I have a great torpedo solution lined up but had to pass because a friendly was doing the "Wild WASD" in front of me.

It is aggravating when those gunboat DD's yolo to get off their torps when, if they would have stayed behind me in my torpedo DD, they could have played to their strengths and let me play to mine.

It is just that "impatience to launch" that causes much of the torpedo TK'ing. Must.....have.....restraint!

• Cool 1

Members
9,863 posts

It's always your fault. Even when it's not your fault...it's still your fault....:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Members
3,774 posts
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

It's always your fault. Even when it's not your fault...it's still your fault....:Smile_hiding:

Nope Nope Nope and Nope.  You fired your fault lol. :cap_fainting:

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,881 posts
3,538 battles
53 minutes ago, Prothall said:

You fire them.

You own them.

Your fault.

ive fired behind people ( as in aimed behind their ship) who have turned completely around in a U-turn to hit them. at this point im on a case by case basis.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TOG]
Members
2,358 posts
14,610 battles
52 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Free XP, but you know that already.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,171 posts
3,085 battles
29 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

ive fired behind people ( as in aimed behind their ship) who have turned completely around in a U-turn to hit them. at this point im on a case by case basis.

Well I say you just failed to take into account that your ally might make a U-turn in front of you. The matter is that you are the only person who can stop the launch to prevent such accident, since nobody but you have the finger on the trigger.

As @Khafni has said, sometimes you gotta just give up launching torpedoes in order to prevent any friendly fire accident, even if you have a perfect firing solution. I've done so many times myself. It's just how things happen sometimes, and that's just the way it is. Even so, it's still far better than becoming a pink, no matter how you look at it.

• Cool 1

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

You are both at fault. Situational awareness at all times. Look after your girl and she will look after you. Other wise back to the port with you. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,453 battles

I realize people are idiots. So best not fire, even if they can avoid them. If it is with malicious intent that they
decide to purposefully sail into your torps, then  it is there fault, period. 

Edited by Crusin_Custard
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
1 hour ago, SuperSpud1 said:

Is it really your fault if you have to turn into them or you actually turn the direction that the torpedoes are headed?

You certainly have a way of describing things in the most unhelpful and difficult way possible. 

1). You don't HAVE to turn any which way; you CHOOSE to.

2). Whoever fires the ordinance, including torps, is TOTALLY responsible for them, not the poor bugger who had to dodge them, which is why he is pink and you ain't.

3). You SHOULDN'T have to look out for torps coming from behind. You should also be able to walk down any street in America unafraid. Use common sense or watch your team mates turn pink.

4). Higher tiers means greater penalties for mistakes, NOT fewer mistakes.

5). ALL ships have reverse.

6). Being pink will not kill you.

7). Situational Awareness is a crock; you need it to not die, but it does not mitigate the responsibility of the player who fired off the torps.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles
1 hour ago, Hanger_18 said:

Don't fire torps behind your team. Period. 

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,807 battles

I once launched a spread of torpedoes behind a friendly Hatsuharu as it rushed past a channel opening to drop its own torps.  Seemed like a reasonable call to me, right up until that Hatsuharu decided for some ungodly reason to do a full 180 and sail right back past that channel, broadside on to a cruiser at 4km distance, with no torpedoes loaded.  Not only did he eat one of my torps mere seconds before the cruiser would've sunk him anyway, his corpse managed to block the rest of the spread. :fish_palm:

My fault?  Well...I launched 'em, anyway. :cap_hmm: