You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incendiary_Tanker

Crazy myths you believed or still believe in

20 comments in this topic

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

I have a few ones~

Bubble Tea Pearls: Yup, when I was a kid I saw a sign for bubble tea and wanted to try some. My mom not wanting to get me junk food, told me that said pearls would get you pregneat. To this day I don't mess with the pearls despite me being a guy. 

Erika and Satoshi, my two Japanese friends both refused to eat any canned meat when the Asian urban legend arose that canned meat contained human flesh. A few Chinese class mates also do the same. 

Black watermelon seeds will grow a melon in your head. A short lived but very scary one. My mom again. 

Bloody Mary: My first Westren urban myth. Two years this one lasted. 

• Funny 2

[MLPVA]
Members
121 posts
2,770 battles

That the Asashio was going to ruin the game. Fortunately, I've only encountered them about three times, and have yet to take a torpedo from on of them.

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,692 battles

I still believe that I need to sit with my legs folded in my chair to do well in a game. :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles

Mashing the A button in a Pokemon game guarantees you'll catch that Pokemon!

Alternatively, pressing the A or B button in tandem with the poke-ball shakes reduces/eliminates the RNG factor and makes it easier to catch.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
25 minutes ago, ZuikakuKaiNi said:

I still believe that I need to sit with my legs folded in my chair to do well in a game. :Smile-_tongue:

So... You don't sit like that during CB? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[ARP]
[ARP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
702 posts
6,692 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

So... You don't sit like that during CB? :Smile_trollface:

I usually trust that my team can carry my potato-ness in CB :Smile-_tongue:

Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles
59 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Black watermelon seeds will grow a melon in your head.

I thought it was in your stomach?

I guess I can thank Magic School Bus and/or Rugrats for that one, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Funny 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

That angling in cruisers meant you could mitigate damage.

• Funny 1

[STW-D]
Members
1,847 posts
5,651 battles

After I got a cavity when I was five, I was so paranoid that I ended up not eating candy for close to a decade.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

1) skithblathnere, the folding ship of the Viking gods. in addition to folding down to pocket size (for a god, however small that is) they could also disappear without dark or fog. this is actually not a myth, it's real, I saw a khab do the same thing repeatedly in battle this morning.

2) dragons, that they exist and can take human form. this is true, I was married to one for 21 years. my daughters inherited the green eyes, and capacity to breath flame. ask their ex's.

3) WG cares about us, and what we want and complain about. completely true! they will forum ban you to try to help you think right, adjust the entire gameplay if you are a BB main, and keep making you stronger if you are an IJN DD lover.

respectfully submitted, spud

universal disclaimer: offs, I was kidding!! my keyboard was hacked. please don't ban me again. thanks

• Cool 1

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles
53 minutes ago, DarfTarts421 said:

That the Asashio was going to ruin the game. Fortunately, I've only encountered them about three times, and have yet to take a torpedo from on of them.

Heck, I've fought one in my Dunkerque (It was within my secondary range, but was engaging a friendly DD) in C cap of Hotspot

I did die from flooding, but that was due to me ramming of the enemy Fuso

Anyways, On Topic: That missions are now always Tier 5+ to prevent people from seal clubbing in the Clemson

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles

Giants, I used to believe that in the past humans or hominoids of giant proportions existed. Not much evidence but some exists such as the Giant of Castelnau and the Si-Te-Cah. 

I say "used to" but realize I still think it is probable, just don't care about the subject that much anymore. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles
5 minutes ago, Edselman said:

Giants, I used to believe that in the past humans or hominoids of giant proportions existed. Not much evidence but some exists such as the Giant of Castelnau and the Si-Te-Cah. 

I say "used to" but realize I still think it is probable, just don't care about the subject that much anymore. 

Would love to pick your brain about that topic~ Highly unlikely but I have such a fascination for things like this. 

Members
1,642 posts
2,149 battles
40 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Would love to pick your brain about that topic~ Highly unlikely but I have such a fascination for things like this. 

Yes, it is a very interesting concept. Numerous cultures around the world contain some type of giant mythology.

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

Can't sleep and just checking on a topic and saw this- here goes

I believed there were little people inside the TV  doing what was on the screen, backtracking I could put me about 3-4 years old thinking this.

Santa Claus made it till I turned 5 or 6 .

I still don't kill ladybugs in the house (old Norse) and throw salt over my shoulder when spilled. Wary about women on ships.

Oh yea, big one still-

Gremlins exist, mostly on vehicles, especially military vehicles, but can exist elsewhere , and they don't like light. And if you put light on where they are usually by  fixing what they are screwing up , they run elsewhere. So if you know you have one, if you can just get them screwing up some thing unimportant (tailllight), leave them alone , so they don't run and mess up something important like the  engine. < True story there- had a tailight out on my M60 tank , did not fix it, ordered by Lt. to fix tail light , ignored him because that was how/where  I got the Gremlin cornered on my tank , weeks go by, Lt notices again tail-light still broke, I told him why (because Gremlin is there and happy and not "trucking" up anything serious. Lt pops gasket and orders me to fix tail light and stands there watching me do so (I had spare bulbs the whole time)  .  Next morning we have an have alert AND THE DAM TANK won't start.  Can't tell one of them fools chit.

Today, I have two chevy trucks , they both have electric Gremlins. Lore from US WWII soldiers /and pilots  named the electric gremlin Ohm. There are names for several others depending on what part, vehicle, system they screw up, but I don't recall them, and I really don't think Gremlins have names and are not that specialized . I got a Gremlin in one bathroom toilet who only messed up the toilet if the tank lid cover was on , if the lid is left off the toilet runs perfect. So the lid remains off of it now.

Edited by Strachwitz666

Members
3,623 posts
13,419 battles

This is a crazy myth that I DONT believe in; Roo-Shun greatness! :Smile_hiding:

One that I do believe in that I heard from my Grandfather; Put your right shoe/boot on first. Putting on the left shoe/boot first will bring bad luck for the day.

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 17/06/2018 at 11:02 PM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Bloody Mary: My first Westren urban myth. Two years this one lasted. 

I remember this as a child- still can't do it in a dark room!

As an Irish person, we have a crazy amount of myths and superstitions that we kind of believe/habitually follow still.

1. No old shoes on a new table, or is it new shoes on an old table? DON'T PUT YER SHOES ON THE TABLE! XD

2. If you spill salt, throw some over your right shoulder so the devil doesn't get you (or you don't get into a fist fight)

3. If someone sneezes, say bless you quick or the devil will get up your nose (seriously haha)

4. Don't go near mushrooms if they grow in a circle or the fairies will be angry (or people have buried corpses here, I learned years later that rings of mushrooms can signify a rotting body of a human or an animal buried there)

5. If trees growing from two sides of the road meet in the middle you get a fairy wish

6. No red-headed women on your boat (apparently bad luck haha)

7. If a bad cat crosses your path from right to left it's good luck but if it goes from left to right it's bad luck!

8. If your ears get hot or your nose itches for no reason, someone is talking about you behind your back

9. You can only name a person the same name for two generations, three will give you bad luck

We are a weird country haha

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
4 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

I remember this as a child- still can't do it in a dark room!

As an Irish person, we have a crazy amount of myths and superstitions that we kind of believe/habitually follow still.

And do not forget the Clurichauns!

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,803 posts
4,224 battles

Let's see...

Well, that muttering "Miss, Miss, Miss" will make enemies who are flanking your soldiers miss in XCOM 2.

More seriously, I sometimes think that I can mystically predict the outcome of certain events when the true reason these "predictions" are true is based off of some physical evidence I am not aware I am noticing.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[STW-D]
Members
1,847 posts
5,651 battles

I still believe in ghosts, although my time on the USS Hornet CV-12 may have influenced this belief.