You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
destroyer3589

Pensacola good at T6?

16 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
640 battles

Prior to the US Cruisers being split into 2 lines I remember the Pensacola being pretty bad at t7.  Is it any good now that its been moved down to t6?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles

You'll find two opinions, at odds with each other. Try it for yourself and see. Me? I think she's very powerful at T6, a glass cannon.

Members
2,179 posts
5,258 battles

it's still fragile and big and seen from across the map. but it's opponents are a little less scary. Pensacola was never a terrible ship, it was just a victim of it's surroundings. T6 seems to be right where it should be.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,291 posts
9,598 battles

The Pensacola wasn't bat at tier 7 but it was a huge shock for people used to the nimble fast firing CL's they had played previously. As Lert says she is a glass cannon but there is no ship it can see that shouldn't be afraid of being hit by her.

[VW]
Members
2,058 posts
12,968 battles

Played one game in her for free capn xp. 100% win rate. Not gonna touch that, but i did well against the other team of pensys and token bb.

[STW-M]
Members
2,334 posts
6,235 battles

What I wrote for Pensacola in her love song back when she was tier 7 still holds true. 

She was a very good teacher on how to play cruisers, rewarding you with lots of damage for well-aimed AP salvos, but also punishing you severely should you overextend or show a bit too much broadside. It's a high risk, high reward ship.

Me? She's a keeper.

Pensacola Azur Lane.jpg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,917 posts
15,675 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

I think she's very powerful at T6, a glass cannon.

1 hour ago, MidnightShamalan said:

it's still fragile and big and seen from across the map.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

at tier 7 it was a huge shock for people used to the nimble fast firing CL's they had played previously.

26 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

It's a high risk, high reward ship.

These statements pretty much sum up my experiences playing Pensacola, at either tier. While I don't do well in her, again at either tier, there is something about her that just keeps me coming back. I will say that my games in her are quite polarized; either they are "YAAAAAY!!!" or "AAAAARG!!!", she's just that type of ship. But regardless, most games in her are fun.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,154 posts
4,869 battles

I have started taking the view that she's an Omaha with 8 inch guns in an all-turret arrangement, and with torpedoes removed for balance. She shares her (current) predecessor's fragility and needs to be handled in a similar fashion. This has got me to the point where I increasingly survive battles in the Pensacola; doing well at the same time is the next step to master. :Smile_teethhappy:

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
759 posts
12,301 battles
3 hours ago, destroyer3589 said:

Prior to the US Cruisers being split into 2 lines I remember the Pensacola being pretty bad at t7.  Is it any good now that its been moved down to t6?

I have really enjoyed the handful of games I have played in the ship since the tier change. Hits like a Mack truck. Still very squishy, so you have to take care about your angles and such. But very fun.

Respects,

Am

Members
4,678 posts
6,834 battles
22 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Pensacola wasn't bat at tier 7 but it was a huge shock for people used to the nimble fast firing CL's they had played previously. As Lert says she is a glass cannon but there is no ship it can see that shouldn't be afraid of being hit by her.

I got her in the Cleve deal. Pleasantly surprised after all the negative comments I had read on here about here before the switch. I do think she is in the right tier now. I have just messed with her in co-op to try her out and done great........ for co-op.  I need some more captain skills before I take her into random however. Her guns in tier 6 hit damn hard but too bad she don't have torps.  If she had fast fairly long range torps (which she never had) she would be dang near OP in the hands of good skippers (not me!). Just my opinion. May get my azz handed to me in random however.  Bout ready to try it. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

3,628 posts
556 battles

I don't think the Pensacola's (or the Indy's) citadel is right.

I was looking at damage charts from Guadalcanal and Leguna Point and came across this. This is Pensacola.

xTryAUv.jpg

The waterline is above "first platform", which appears to be the deck above the machinery spaces. Meaning that the machinery spaces should be below the waterline. It also shows a longitudinal 3.75" STS bulkhead that is probably the machinery spaces exterior bulkhead that is completely ignored ingame. A 3.75" STS internal bulkhead is a significant chunk of armor that the ship is missing. Ontop of the citadel being too big both vertically and horizontally. 

There's also this of Portland.

pKFpkHk.jpg

Note Hit No. 1. That is right at the top of Indy's citadel ingame. On Portland, that hit penetrated the outer STS layer but was defeated by the second STS layer and did no serious damage. Ingame, that would've been a citadel hit and would've caused full damage.

I think the citadels are too big both in height and in width. 

• Cool 1

3,628 posts
556 battles

Here's a deck plan of Pensacola.

The citadel spaces do not go all the way out to the sides of the ship, which means that indeed the citadel is too wide horizontally. 

CA33PlateVI.jpg

Here's the same for the Portland-class, which would be Indy. Same story. The citadel is too wide.

CA33PlateIIIt.jpg

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
192 posts
7,137 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 4:00 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have started taking the view that she's an Omaha with 8 inch guns in an all-turret arrangement, and with torpedoes removed for balance. She shares her (current) predecessor's fragility and needs to be handled in a similar fashion. This has got me to the point where I increasingly survive battles in the Pensacola; doing well at the same time is the next step to master. :Smile_teethhappy:

Couldn't have said it better, although I would add she's an Omaha with extremely slow turret traverse as well.  She's difficult to play, you have to exercise a lot of patience early-mid game, mind your positioning, and be ready to cut loose on any cruisers that give you broadside. I think she needs a bit of a  buff, I can live with the low ROF but they do need to buff the turret traverse to make her more playable.  I tend to have really good games in her and really bad games in her.  I'm not that great of a player, a very skilled player can do well with her as is.

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,291 posts
9,598 battles
29 minutes ago, Wittman73 said:

Couldn't have said it better, although I would add she's an Omaha with extremely slow turret traverse as well.  She's difficult to play, you have to exercise a lot of patience early-mid game, mind your positioning, and be ready to cut loose on any cruisers that give you broadside. I think she needs a bit of a  buff, I can live with the low ROF but they do need to buff the turret traverse to make her more playable.  I tend to have really good games in her and really bad games in her.  I'm not that great of a player, a very skilled player can do well with her as is.

The turret rotation does need a buff, this is deja vu all over again of the pre-buff Furutaka which also had similarly glacial turret rotation and also had to sail in a straight line to use the guns.  However, if you consider that the Pensacola was actually a pre-Washington treaty Scout cruiser the brittleness is spot on.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,154 posts
4,869 battles
1 hour ago, Wittman73 said:

Couldn't have said it better, although I would add she's an Omaha with extremely slow turret traverse as well.

I have taken all the WD40 options, so to speak, and the guns are manageable; they don't drift off target in the hardest turn I can pull, which is half the battle.

Members
120 posts
6,752 battles

Here are my stats with the Pensacola at tier 6:

Overall Results Average Score per Battle Highest Score
Battles 19 Experience 1,353.84 Experience 2,282
Victories 12 (63%) Damage caused 37,078.37 Damage caused 67,075
Battles survived 9 Warships destroyed 1.32 Warships destroyed 4
Damage caused 704,489 Aircraft destroyed 3.21 Aircraft destroyed 26
Warships destroyed 25 Main battery hit ratio 36%    
Aircraft destroyed 61        

I find I leave points, damage, and sinks out there. I'm not getting what I could from her. And before you dig on me, let me explain. I'll only complain about 1 thing. Turret rotation. Too many times, when I'm turning, the turrets don't keep up. So I have to stop my turn, leaving myself exposed, to allow my turrets to rotate. Too many times I've lost the opportunity at good shots because I was in a position, turning appropriately, trying to angle, but again, I either have to leave myself exposed, or forgo the shot.

Like others have said, the Pensa is a glass cannon. And that's true. But it's also limiting as a ship. If you're maneuvering, like you should/have to, you're just not going to get as many shots off as possible. 

I'm not complaining about the odds a given shot will hit the target. I'm complaining that I don't have the opportunity to shoot the shot in the first place. If I shoot and miss, so be it. But the slow turret rotation is limiting me to when and how often I can shoot.