Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GreyFox78659

Carrier Rework Update

128 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

160
[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,279 battles

Pretty sure in the Q&A they said it was currently being tested internally. Meaning a good ways off but at least they have something currently in testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,589 posts
5,594 battles

NADA...No word means that it may be a while before ANY tidbit of info will emerge.   Could be by Christmas...as a carrier christmas present

Maybe some video of some visuals will be presented to wet the appetite. 

Edited by dionkraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,179 posts
5,270 battles

you're not likely to hear anything about it until they're 100% in on it. every time they allow players to see a change before it's completed, the sky begins to fall. some people are already claiming to see cracks in the clouds without even knowing what the change is. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they held this one out of public view until they're a couple weeks from putting it in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,326
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,923 posts
15,675 battles

In the recent developers Q & A it says (somewhere, and I'm not sure exactly where) that the developers hope to have it done by the end of 2018. I read this in a translated Spanish post about the developers Q & A. The addition of that key word "hope" sent shivers up my spine, especially when I remember that 2017 was supposed to be the year of the carrier. My OPINION is that the rework has become somewhat harder and more complicated than the developers had previously thought and they now have no firm idea of when it might be done, tested, and implemented. My opinion.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
202 posts
5,550 battles

Notser just did a video on this, and now I am desperately trying to find the transcript. They actually talked about the CV rework a lot during the Q&A. The big thing slowing it down was them wanting feedback from the CCs first, which they now have, and are pushing full speed ahead with it. There are major questions I still have that they did discuss, but I need to find a transcript...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,442
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
5 hours ago, Umikami said:

In the recent developers Q & A it says (somewhere, and I'm not sure exactly where) that the developers hope to have it done by the end of 2018. I read this in a translated Spanish post about the developers Q & A. The addition of that key word "hope" sent shivers up my spine, especially when I remember that 2017 was supposed to be the year of the carrier. My OPINION is that the rework has become somewhat harder and more complicated than the developers had previously thought and they now have no firm idea of when it might be done, tested, and implemented. My opinion.

I would bet real money that the rework is running into issues, quite likely how the CV changes will impact the other ship types, but they were at the point that they had to rework CV's or pull them from the game because eventually no one would be playing them. My opinion on why so few people stay with them is that the extreme level of micromanaging required to do well with them is what was driving all but a very few out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,759 posts
3,775 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would bet real money that the rework is running into issues, quite likely how the CV changes will impact the other ship types, but they were at the point that they had to rework CV's or pull them from the game because eventually no one would be playing them. My opinion on why so few people stay with them is that the extreme level of micromanaging required to do well with them is what was driving all but a very few out.

I think the stress has a lot to do with it too.  CV's are expected to do a lot during matches and get yelled at more then any other ship class.  You are also expected to run counter to the enemy CV and its very rare to find an enemy CV who is at your skill level.  You're either stomping on someone who has no idea what he is doing or being stomped on by someone who is probably also playing chess while beating the snot out of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,326
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,923 posts
15,675 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

My opinion on why so few people stay with them is that the extreme level of micromanaging required to do well with them is what was driving all but a very few out.

See and I thought that the disparity between the skill set of a new CV player when facing a skilled CV player was so disproportionate that no one wanted to endure the months of being waffle-stomped required to "GIT GUD" with their CVs, though I will readily admit that the micro-management you mention could certainly be a part of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
232 posts
4,464 battles

Q&A in it's entirety

Not the transcript,  but is the audio. CV's come up several times.  Flambass has timestamps in his comment. 

Edited by Comrade_Nemo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,442
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

See and I thought that the disparity between the skill set of a new CV player when facing a skilled CV player was so disproportionate that no one wanted to endure the months of being waffle-stomped required to "GIT GUD" with their CVs, though I will readily admit that the micro-management you mention could certainly be a part of that.

Well that skill disparity is because of how well the different players handle the micromanaging, two sides of the same coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[LHG]
Members
1,218 posts
5,130 battles

The only thing I've heard about the CV rework that wasn't explicitly in the Q&A is a comment from Notser on a video about the session, found here.

Paraphrasing him, it seems like the changes will indeed be drastic and that he found that the new playstyle enjoyable. However, it's also in a very early state and will need a lot more work.

Edited by Flashtirade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
452
[-AA-]
Members
1,735 posts
6,657 battles
20 hours ago, Umikami said:

See and I thought that the disparity between the skill set of a new CV player when facing a skilled CV player was so disproportionate that no one wanted to endure the months of being waffle-stomped required to "GIT GUD" with their CVs, though I will readily admit that the micro-management you mention could certainly be a part of that.

As a new CV player in my Lexington it is funny how many squadrons the other ships have; Enterprise & Shokaku. 

When I have to reload my fighters the enemy carrier can always strike. Also what admiral came up with the idea to load a ship with only AP or HE bombs...
On the other hand I won't complain, because I know they are working on it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,326
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,923 posts
15,675 battles
41 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

On the other hand I won't complain, because I know they are working on it.

This is the part that would scare me the worst if I was a CV player.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, MidnightShamalan said:

you're not likely to hear anything about it until they're 100% in on it. every time they allow players to see a change before it's completed, the sky begins to fall. some people are already claiming to see cracks in the clouds without even knowing what the change is. i wouldn't be surprised at all if they held this one out of public view until they're a couple weeks from putting it in the game.

Normally would agree to that, but this carrier rework has been a two year “coming SOON” so it kind of makes any attempt to avoid the sky is falling impossible. They need to show some progress before carrier players leave out of apathy of any proposed change in the works. Unless of course that is the plan. Sadly, I think that is the plan as it makes more since less players to pay off when they change, or remove carriers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
On 6/18/2018 at 3:15 PM, Flashtirade said:

The only thing I've heard about the CV rework that wasn't explicitly in the Q&A is a comment from Notser on a video about the session, found here.

Paraphrasing him, it seems like the changes will indeed be drastic and that he found that the new playstyle enjoyable. However, it's also in a very early state and will need a lot more work.

It should be noted Noster even admitted non carrier player CCs found it more enjoyable. The CCs that played carriers heavily universally panned it saying it ruined carrier play. 

Edited by GreyFox78659

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[LHG]
Members
1,218 posts
5,130 battles
1 hour ago, GreyFox78659 said:

It should be noted Noster even admitted non carrier player CCs found it more enjoyable. The CCs that played carriers heavily universally panned it saying it ruined carrier play. 

Well it's supposedly supposed to be more like regular ship controls than the current RTS style. I have no idea how that's going to work. I put a lot of stock into both Fem and Fara's opinions, but I will have to play with it a long time to see if it's a long term solution instead of just novelty hiding a nerf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,442
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
1 hour ago, GreyFox78659 said:

It should be noted Noster even admitted non carrier player CCs found it more enjoyable. The CCs that played carriers heavily universally panned it saying it ruined carrier play. 

It is understandable that those that do well with the current CV game play would not like the changes. However, anyone that looks at CV player population at all can see that something has to be done.

17 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Well it's supposedly supposed to be more like regular ship controls than the current RTS style. I have no idea how that's going to work. I put a lot of stock into both Fem and Fara's opinions, but I will have to play with it a long time to see if it's a long term solution instead of just novelty hiding a nerf.

Maybe it is just me but I don't think so. To me the RTS game play was not an issue, it was the extreme level of micromanaging to do even moderately well. What we have heard it does seem to address the micromanaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
47 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It is understandable that those that do well with the current CV game play would not like the changes. However, anyone that looks at CV player population at all can see that something has to be done.

Maybe it is just me but I don't think so. To me the RTS game play was not an issue, it was the extreme level of micromanaging to do even moderately well. What we have heard it does seem to address the micromanaging.

Yeah, I could of balanced the current system. Fara would of hated it (get rid of manual drops, lightened AA, or unlimited hangar) but honestly I think the competition (Gaijin) is forcing their hand. As it is looking really good for carrier players assuming you really wanted to fly the planes yourself versus manage the squads from top down to just switch to WT. Problem is if the WoWS devs are thinking that they won’t loose players to WT because they now have a similar more hands on control sceme of aircraft. Well the WT started as a flight sim and is now adding ships. If the devs are scared they might have a good competive ship game. They might want to do more to improve the ship side of WoWS. Cause in the flight sim arena WT will eat their lunch. Gaijin has been doing flight sims longer than WoWS has been doing ship games and it looks like they are learning from WoWS mistakes on the ship side (making cruisers and heavy ships higher up the tech tree like tier 7-8 ruffly and Battleships aren’t even in the tree yet and most likely tier 10 when added, also making PT boats the entry level) as well as integrating their flight sim into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It is understandable that those that do well with the current CV game play would not like the changes. However, anyone that looks at CV player population at all can see that something has to be done.

Maybe it is just me but I don't think so. To me the RTS game play was not an issue, it was the extreme level of micromanaging to do even moderately well. What we have heard it does seem to address the micromanaging.

I hope they do get fixed I have been thinking of re-starting CVs, but am not sure if I should wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,442
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
3 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Yeah, I could of balanced the current system. Fara would of hated it (get rid of manual drops, lightened AA, or unlimited hangar) but honestly I think the competition (Gaijin) is forcing their hand. As it is looking really good for carrier players assuming you really wanted to fly the planes yourself versus manage the squads from top down to just switch to WT. Problem is if the WoWS devs are thinking that they won’t loose players to WT because they now have a similar more hands on control sceme of aircraft. Well the WT started as a flight sim and is now adding ships. If the devs are scared they might have a good competive ship game. They might want to do more to improve the ship side of WoWS. Cause in the flight sim arena WT will eat their lunch. Gaijin has been doing flight sims longer than WoWS has been doing ship games and it looks like they are learning from WoWS mistakes on the ship side (making cruisers and heavy ships higher up the tech tree like tier 7-8 ruffly and Battleships aren’t even in the tree yet and most likely tier 10 when added, also making PT boats the entry level) as well as integrating their flight sim into it.

If Naval Forces ends up anything like Ground Forces it is going to stink.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,759 posts
3,775 battles
3 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Well it's supposedly supposed to be more like regular ship controls than the current RTS style. I have no idea how that's going to work. I put a lot of stock into both Fem and Fara's opinions, but I will have to play with it a long time to see if it's a long term solution instead of just novelty hiding a nerf.

No control of altitude,  just plane speed and left and right.  Regular aiming crosshairs and zoom in cross hairs for more accurate bombing.  Probably still shifting back and forth between CV and plane though,  but my wager is that they are going to have us rely on the waypoint system heavily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×