You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Slattery

World of Warships retro version

63 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
I just don't understand the complaints and fuss about World of Warships.  I think this game is absolutely amazing.

Please allow me to ruminate a bit about how it was in the "good ol' days".  I went off to college in the autumn of 1978.  My freshman year I eventually discovered the first generation of "Gamers" and quickly became one of them.  Our "gaming rig" was a book or books that explained the rules to the game, a game leader/referee/dungeon master to oversee the game, a bunch of multisided dice (RNG even then) and an active imagination.

One of the games which we gamers played was based on WW1 and WW2 naval combat.  The "system requirements" for this game was as follows:

1 - Each person had to go to a hobby shop, purchase and build one of these :

31114_m.jpg
1:42 scale battleship, hull down.

2 - Your group representative then gathered up some money from each of you and rented one of these :

quality-inn-conference.jpg
Banquet hall or large meeting room.

3 - Each person had to bring along some of these :

il_570xN.895169290_mkty.jpg

4 - and the referee would bring one or two of these :

Stanley_PowerLock_tape_measure.jpg

Once you had all of that together, teams of 10 to 20 gamers would then proceed to play "World of Warships".  Think of it as a random battle where you roll dice for your RNG.
You would physically move your ships during the movement phase. Once everyone was done moving, you then could call out your shot by estimating the distance from your ship to the target and then telling the referee what that estimate was.  The referee measures the actual distance and if you were correct, dice would be rolled to determine damage.

I thought it was amazing.  A single battle would usually last between 6 and 10 hours.  The rules were intricate and exhaustive and I never fully understood them.  The referees did though.

I couldn't imagine doing something like that now.  So, yeah.  World of Warships is awesome!  Awesome like puppies are awesome!

Cute-Puppies-puppies-22040946-1280-800.j
Puppies = Awesome!

Best regards,
CS

p.s. - I also had to hike 10 miles uphill (each way) to get anywhere.
  • Cool 24
  • Funny 5
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,726 posts
26,424 battles

Nice.

Diplomacy and Axis and Allies were my boardgames. No D&D for me.

[RLGN]
Members
8,645 posts
17,894 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:
I just don't understand the complaints and fuss about World of Warships.  I think this game is absolutely amazing.

Please allow me to ruminate a bit about how it was in the "good ol' days".  I went off to college in the autumn of 1978.  My freshman year I eventually discovered the first generation of "Gamers" and quickly became one of them.  Our "gaming rig" was a book or books that explained the rules to the game, a game leader/referee/dungeon master to oversee the game, a bunch of multisided dice (RNG even then) and an active imagination.

One of the games which we gamers played was based on WW1 and WW2 naval combat.  The "system requirements" for this game was as follows:

1 - Each person had to go to a hobby shop, purchase and build one of these :

31114_m.jpg
1:42 scale battleship, hull down.

2 - Your group representative then gathered up some money from each of you and rented one of these :

quality-inn-conference.jpg
Banquet hall or large meeting room.

3 - Each person had to bring along some of these :

il_570xN.895169290_mkty.jpg

4 - and the referee would bring one or two of these :

Stanley_PowerLock_tape_measure.jpg

Once you had all of that together, teams of 10 to 20 gamers would then proceed to play "World of Warships".  Think of it as a random battle where you roll dice for your RNG.
You would physically move your ships during the movement phase. Once everyone was done moving, you then could call out your shot by estimating the distance from your ship to the target and then telling the referee what that estimate was.  The referee measures the actual distance and if you were correct, dice would be rolled to determine damage.

I thought it was amazing.  A single battle would usually last between 6 and 10 hours.  The rules were intricate and exhaustive and I never fully understood them.  The referees did though.

I couldn't imagine doing something like that now.  So, yeah.  World of Warships is awesome!  Awesome like puppies are awesome!

Cute-Puppies-puppies-22040946-1280-800.j
Puppies = Awesome!

Best regards,
CS

p.s. - I also had to hike 10 miles uphill (each way) to get anywhere

Been there myself.

Also with Tanks, (Jadgpanzer miniature rules.)

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,387 battles
5 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Nice.

Diplomacy and Axis and Allies were my boardgames. No D&D for me.

War hammer 40k for me.

Members
3,613 posts
4,522 battles

I want a retro WoWs to be something like this:

"Your ship has caught on fire."

"You extinguish the fire."

"Your ship has caught on fire. Twice."

"Oh no! The captain has cholera!"

"The captain has died."

"Your magazine explodes."

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5

[90THC]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,828 battles

Did this myself back in the 80s, but with tanks. We would play all Saturday night into Sunday morning re-fighting WWII armor clashes.

• Cool 2

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles

1/42? 1/350 is huge 1/700 is probably what you ment.

That is my scale. Trumpeter USS Texas comes next month.

[CUTER]
Members
731 posts
19,720 battles

D&D, Axis and Allies, and Mechwarrior for me.  I share your sentiments, and still play the old games with friends when we can get together.

Some people just don't realize how awesome something is.

Edited by Kongo_Pride

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,382 posts
19,417 battles

Harpoon boardgame anyone? 

Or if you think that’s to easy: Avalon Hill Flat Top, only AH game that got a 10/10 complexity score.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
106 posts
5,948 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Please allow me to ruminate a bit about how it was in the "good ol' days".

No kidding! Used to play General Quarters for 2 days straight over weekends in rooms like that. I think I still got some of those miniature ships somewhere around here. Also played Eagle and the Sun over the coarse of a year on a large metal sheet hung on the wall, with each counter glued to a small magnet. Thanks for bringing back memories, made me smile when I seen your post. With my bad knees there is no way I could crawl around like that now! That's why I like WoWS, they take care of all the record keeping :)    

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
5 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Or if you think that’s to easy: Avalon Hill Flat Top, only AH game that got a 10/10 complexity score.

Find a copy of the WWII Clear for Action or Seekrieg rules if you want complicated. Now though we use 1/6000 ships on the table top with the Naval Thunder rules where you can actually complete an action in a reasonable length of time. For small actions with nothing bigger than a CL we did graft the Destroyer Captain critical charts to the much simpler NT rules for a still simple but a bit more detailed game.

[INTEL]
Members
8,808 posts
26,251 battles

Seekrieg, was playing that in the 1970s with little lead ships. So wonderful...

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
3,994 battles
16 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Avalon Hill games rocked. Still miss my old copy of Bismarck. Flat Top was superb.

I still have all my old Harpoon stuff and miniatures

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
197 posts
4,830 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

I want a retro WoWs to be something like this:

"Your ship has caught on fire."

"You extinguish the fire."

"Your ship has caught on fire. Twice."

"Oh no! The captain has cholera!"

"The captain has died."

"Your magazine explodes."

8-bit WoWs: April Fools Day concept, perhaps?

[TBW]
Members
6,592 posts
12,435 battles

My first video games all cost a quarter. We had Tempest onboard our ship. Pin Ball was the best video game and it wasn't even a video game.

astroids.png.0c34b6cfaa80c0891d0f0a5bb71a4e7d.pngcobrabar.jpg.e3f4229c5782ec1078bb6c2c7cd979c7.jpgpp4bdjgrx2788fgu1pr0ie60xb5pq3i.thumb.jpg.32ac04bed01ee6a4d9f64ff35d0cc7a3.jpgtempest1.jpg.3c3cf2595790beb359053074f0251eb9.jpg

gaming-machines.jpg

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,538 posts

I got yer Retro -WoWs right here...

Great ship models...

maxresdefault.jpg

Even the Map had a Mini-Map!

destroyer-command-8.jpg

Excellent graphics...

pc-64619-21456856312.jpg

Bonus: You could  multiplayer against subs!

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,054 posts
12,917 battles

Sounds awesome the OP! The limit of my analog experience was D3 you sank my battleship!

have you guys played harpoon? Seems like was the original naval simulator, never tried it meself.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
731 posts
4,019 battles
6 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

1/42? 1/350 is huge 1/700 is probably what you ment.

That is my scale. Trumpeter USS Texas comes next month.

My mistake there.  The scale was such that the Bismarck was about the length of my arm from elbow to fingertip.

Tempest was a very addictive game.

Avalon Hill games STILL rock.  They did a boxing game that I converted to computer text on the mainframe at school.  AH also made a computer version for the C-64, Ringside Seat.  I still have a working copy of it, too.  

Isn't Memory Lane a fun place?

cs

p.s. - Don't forget about the puppies!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

My mistake there.  The scale was such that the Bismarck was about the length of my arm from elbow to fingertip.

Avalon Hill games STILL rock.  They did a boxing game that I converted to computer text on the mainframe at school.  AH also made a computer version for the C-64, Ringside Seat.  I still have a working copy of it, too.  

cs

Axis and Allies war at sea!

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,796 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

cs

Yeah that is 1/700

[INTEL]
Members
867 posts
9,011 battles

Mine was Operation Warboard. WWII miniature gaming by Bernard and Gavin Lyle. Our "board" was several 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood sitting on sawhorses.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,231 posts
9,570 battles
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Seekrieg, was playing that in the 1970s with little lead ships. So wonderful...

You can get Seekreig 4 for free from SeeKrieg home page if you are interested but at least to me they are far too detailed for an enjoyable game.