Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

WG Q&A: New tidbits of radar information.

47 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I listened to the entire 2 hour 30 minute long Q&A. There are a number of questions from Flambass, Farazelleth, and Flamu in the middle. Some are obvious (like Fara asking the question he gets asked to ask most on his video comments, "When is the Graf Zepplin going to be for sale again?" to which the obvious answer is "When carriers are done being reworked." which is what WG confirmed). I would say over half of the questions were about radar and how broken it is and WG employees were getting audibly irritated. Here's the video (really just audio).

What they did say which I've never heard before were:

  1. At around 1 hour 30 minutes, WG says there is no significant statistical difference between a team with 1 radar vs a team with 3 after Flambass asks if MM will ever take the numbers radar of ships on each side in to consideration.
  2. At around 2 hours 16 minutes WG gets asked again about anti-radar consumables and WG says they are talking about a radar "counter measure" internally.

There are a lot of questions/answers many are ones I've heard before and frankly I was playing Hands of Fate and half listening so I'm sure I missed some. It's worth a listen.

WARNING: The Russian guy singing the Russian national anthem with his "best American accent" at the end was so painful I had to shut it off before the rest of my skin peeled off.

Edited by w4spl3g
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,518
[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,588 battles

Anti-Radar is likely to take the place of Smoke Generator on all ships with it, would be my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
278
[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,406 battles

My hope would be the ability to track enemy radar ships via their EM emissions, a possible accuracy/spotting buff against ships using radar.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
15 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

My hope would be the ability to track enemy radar ships via their EM emissions, a possible accuracy/spotting buff against ships using radar.

I think it was an earlier question but maybe not, where, I think it was Flamu, was talking about radar balancing ideas he had heard and one was to increase the dispersion of ships firing at ships revealed via radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
278
[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,406 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

I think it was an earlier question but maybe not, where, I think it was Flamu, was talking about radar balancing ideas he had heard and one was to increase the dispersion of ships firing at ships revealed via radar.

As much as that would be throwing a bone to DDs, I feel as if, for the radar ship at least, should be more accurate on account of the radar giving a better targeting solution than optical systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
12 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

As much as that would be throwing a bone to DDs, I feel as if, for the radar ship at least, should be more accurate on account of the radar giving a better targeting solution than optical systems.

For the ship with the radar, yes. But not for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
278
[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,406 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

For the ship with the radar, yes. But not for everyone else.

This I can agree on.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,972
[INTEL]
Members
8,835 posts
26,319 battles
17 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

 

What they did say which I've never heard before were:

  1. At around 1 hour 30 minutes, WG says there is no significant statistical difference between a team with 1 radar vs a team with 3 after Flambass asks if MM will ever take the numbers radar of ships on each side in to consideration.

That's nonsense. Run it yourself. I have data from 192 games on that, and the team with at least one more radar wins 60% of the time. That effect persisted throughout all the months I collected those games. 

I plan to collect more games in the fall. But it would be great if others collected this data. 

Finally, I can't help pointing this out: WG introduced too much radar into the game, and they caused this problem for themselves. Maybe the devs need to actually play the game, instead of casually breaking it by handing out radar like candy without regard for the consequences for game enjoyability. They are getting what they deserve. 

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977
[SBS]
Members
2,841 posts
2,379 battles
1 hour ago, YamatoA150 said:

Anti-Radar is likely to take the place of Smoke Generator on all ships with it, would be my guess.

I hope we don't see an anti-radar consumable, I'd rather address the problem at the root, radar itself.  I suppose the plan might be to flood the game with a bunch of new radar ships, then give DDs the choice of smoke or anti-radar consumable to cut down on the amount of smoke in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARRGG]
Members
4,763 posts
7,705 battles

Not a fan of Radar, having played many games before Radar , liked the game play much better before  it was introduced

it has changed the gameplay of that there’s no doubt and made the play .. I’ll call it Gimmicky, a counter would be just another gimmick 

these Gimmecks may be seen by Wows as counters to some data that shows some ships being OP or just to make more $$ for Wows 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
511
[4HIM]
Members
1,948 posts
4,771 battles
2 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

I would say over half of the questions were about radar and how broken it is and WG employees were getting audibly irritated.

So they created the monster and now they're irritated someone calls them on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[TOG]
Members
2,811 posts
15,797 battles

Well one change they will be implementing:

Surveillance Radar duration bonus decreased from 40% to 20%
This upgrade is currently too effective on the Radar equipped ships. The change is designed to balance this upgrade against the others in the same slot.

 

 

Considering the proliferation of radar, might be a good thing. now if they go for shadow of radar....

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,862 posts
10,762 battles
21 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

So they created the monster and now they're irritated someone calls them on it?

Natural reaction when people question things you are quite proud of.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977
[SBS]
Members
2,841 posts
2,379 battles
Just now, Bill_Halsey said:

Surveillance Radar duration bonus decreased from 40% to 20%
This upgrade is currently too effective on the Radar equipped ships. The change is designed to balance this upgrade against the others in the same slot.

I believe this change is a token gesture to help appease the angry DD mobs.  Its seems to be DMs that run the upgrade mod and they don't seem to be able to take advantage of the extra time since the DDs are dead, or long gone in 56 seconds.  I'm pretty sure WG was aware of this, thus it's token gesture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977
[SBS]
Members
2,841 posts
2,379 battles
Just now, chewonit said:

Natural reaction when people question things you are quite proud of.

You can love your kids and be very proud of them.  However, its extremely important to be critical of their mistakes.  Seems WG could be a little more critical of themselves in some areas. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,374
Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Not a fan of Radar, having played many games before Radar , liked the game play much better before  it was introduced

it has changed the gameplay of that there’s no doubt and made the play .. I’ll call it Gimmicky, a counter would be just another gimmick 

This. ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,374
Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles
10 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Natural reaction when people question things you are quite proud of.

Natural reaction when people question things you are defensive about. 

No one at WG is proud of radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
506 posts
12,787 battles

We have a problem with sneaky DDs.

We need to counter this with:  radar.

Now we need to counter the counter?

Fix the problem. Make radar line of sight and only allow the detecting ship to fire. Treat it like a cyclone outline on the map for others.

If you just counter the counter what tier gets the opportunity to counter? Radar dips down into premium tier 7. Will only tier 8+ ships have the radar counter? Will tier 5-6 ships be hosed by radar with nothing to do to counter it?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,088
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,925 posts
10,485 battles

I think radar is fine. I played multiple DD matches last night with 3-4 radar ships per team, and had no issues dealing with radar.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,031 posts
3,549 battles

I always try to read between the lines when someone is speaking. The fact that they are discussing a counter measure to Radar tells me how important seeing through islands is to them. Why, I have no idea. As for me, I dont want a counter measure, I want it to be fair and not enable these ship to troll while hiding behind a rock. If it were, none of this would have happened in the first place...............

 

 

Edit: The Radar Mod Consumable nerf is token at best. If, in 30 seconds, a DD isnt dead, then he's gone. Its meaningless.................

Edited by Wyngs_2015
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[APOC-]
Members
117 posts
4,740 battles

This is literally how the dev process is going to continue. Countering metas by adding more metas. Didnt even know you could track EM emissions in 1945. Let alone before the Starfish tests. *Throws more paper into the fire* QUICK WE NEED MORE IDEAS!

Edited by MVPBluntman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
341
[H_]
Members
937 posts
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

That's nonsense. Run it yourself. I have data from 192 games on that, and the team with at least one more radar wins 60% of the time. That effect persisted throughout all the months I collected those games. 

I plan to collect more games in the fall. But it would be great if others collected this data. 

Finally, I can't help pointing this out: WG introduced too much radar into the game, and they caused this problem for themselves. Maybe the devs need to actually play the game, instead of casually breaking it by handing out radar like candy without regard for the consequences for game enjoyability. They are getting what they deserve. 

You are spot on correct.

WG saw a sales opportunity and exploited it...... Radar is a sales gimmick.  What they envisioned and the reality of what they did is where the "friction" may be problematic.   I play this game because it is in an era of "pre-computers" and before serious technologies exploded battle spaces into hundreds of miles versus dozens of miles.  I've played Harpoon for decades and if you want Vietnam accurate radar in a game space of less than 20 NM's, it makes no sense.  Yes, it was a sale gimmick and yes, the code to make radar act as WW2 era radar did would be cost ineffective to WG.....  They've boxed themselves into a corner.    Counter-measures are historically accurate BUT, and a big but, simply doesn't make sense....

You'd have to "give up" a slot to counter another slot?  In the end, you'd still have radar that can't be avoided and DD's still lose their roles and game play evolves into a new reality where teams never close to fight and camp on caps till one side loses patience or is out-sniped....  Radar either needs to go or be de-evolved into period correct radar accuracy.....  If not, the arms race heads us back into the Harpoon environment where there can be hundreds of missiles and smart torpedoes and guided munitions in the air at one time !   There is no middle ground and WG has opened pardora's box with radar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×