You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #103: Salem

128 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,748 posts
3,738 battles

Once again, an awesome review, Miss Maus.

EDIT: Wow, I'm the first reply?? What are the odds... lol.

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,735 posts
6,657 battles

Woo! Another variant of Des Moines is always welcome! Currently with Des Moines I make a good amount of use of the radar to win games, actually almost every battle. I get spotted while charging = radar = DD = dead DD. So with Salem I will need a different approach, but this will make it possible to try a new way of playing.

Looking forward to try out a new play style with DM :)

Thanks LWM, +1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,640 posts
13,211 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:
  • In particularly, I'm curious to hear what you think of this modified economy and what this means for the future of Reward Ships in the game.

I think it's too little too late.

The main complaint about T8 ships is 'always' being uptiered in T10 matches. Why is that? Because people are playing a disproportionately large amount of T10 ships. "But isn't the economy supposed to prevent that?" Originally, yeah. But with boosts on camo, signal flags, the generosity with which WG keeps handing the both of them out, and even the sale of T10 permacamos with significant economic bonuses, credits are easier to come by than ever, so large amounts of people can afford to drive their T10s without issues.

People complained about high tier ships being too expensive to run. WG listened by making credits easier to come by and flattening service fees. And now we're complaining that there are too many T10s so our T8s feel out of their depth.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[LEGIT]
Members
483 posts
6,785 battles

Another great review Miss.M

So what im getting is that its a boat like Des Moine that has super heal but is squishy and has less range. And mostly un-affordable to play due to its low income and high maintenance cost unless you have a cred printing ship (Missouri to supplement loss quickly) or prem ship that earns decent amount of creds. Regular ships will work too but it will take more time to mend the cred losses.

Edited by KAGA_kaini
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
3,661 posts
4,571 battles

Wow. All I needed to see was 'Des Moines with less range.' Lol - are they kidding with that? Hard pass on this one. Which is a shame, because she's a lovely ship to visit.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles

Thank you for the review, was a joy to read as usual. I don't know if you are allowed to comment on this but @LittleWhiteMouse will the ship be earnable with coal/steel, a set of personal missions or campaigns  (same as in WoT with Tier X premiums without credit making abilities being earnable), or a Clan Battles reward, same as Stalingrad? Though I guess we will know soon enough when 0.7.6 hits :Smile_popcorn:.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,204 posts
7,850 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Thank you for the review, was a joy to read as usual. I don't know if you are allowed to comment on this but @LittleWhiteMouse will the ship be earnable with coal/steel, a set of personal missions or campaigns  (same as in WoT with Tier X premiums without credit making abilities being earnable), or a Clan Battles reward, same as Stalingrad? Though I guess we will know soon enough when 0.7.6 hits :Smile_popcorn:.

As far as I know (and this is of course subject to change), Salem is going to be available through the new currencies.  How much and how long a prospective player will have to save up to get her, I have no idea.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
40 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The cynic in me is screaming that Salem's sole purpose is to incentivize you to spend doubloons on tier X premium camouflage.  This becomes readily apparent when you do a side by side comparison between Salem and Des Moines' earning potential with each of them equipped with their permanent camo.

Des Moines will earn you more credits (or cost you less on a loss) and the extra experience she earns also translates into more captain training and more free experience earned to boot.  The only bad thing about Des Moines that you can't use her to train other commanders without having to pay for re-specializing them to another ship after the fact.  Except that you can.  If you have a 19pt commander for Des Moines, then any of that commander experience becomes free commander experience which can then be dumped onto whatever other captain you wish. 

Salem just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and the incentives to acquire her feel contrived unless you're a free-to-play player. Then, and only then does Salem begin to look appealing. Like tech tree ships, she's still a tier X that will surprise butt-sex your in-game wallet. Salem will just do it a little more gently.  For a player without money to spend, this has its appeal.  It's a chance for Des Moines game play at a discount.  It's a chance for another free ship.  Just beware that owning (or even contemplating owning) Salem may grease the wheels to make you want to throw money at those 5,000 doubloon tier X camouflage patterns. 

Those who like Des Moines may also enjoy the variety Salem offers, subtle though it is.  At her core, she's a tougher and more selfish versions of Des Moines, sacrificing utility of her longer ranged radar for mutant healing powers and the ability to take Hydroacoustic Search and Defensive Fire at the same time.  Salem really becomes more interesting in a division composition but I'm still not convinced that Des Moines isn't a better choice overall. 

Des Moines is my favorite as well as most successful Tier X Cruiser.  Reading through your review, I'm constantly thinking to myself, "Why did WG do that?  That's horrible for this ship."

She is a worse Des Moines-class CA than DM herself.  The special repair party Salem gets is a heavy, heavy price as she gives up far too much for it.  I'm very familiar with DM's squishiness and that Repair Party isn't going to save her.

Anyways, outside the common 203mm auto-loaders DM & Salem share, Salem lacks DM's utility.  That utility is something that DM can use to break a match into a win for her team where firepower alone cannot do it.

2xjWglz.jpg

That utility sets her apart from her Tier X Cruiser brethren.  Moskva, Hindenburg, Henri IV, Zao, and I'm sure Stalingrad, are all Range & Damage oriented Cruisers, and VERY GOOD at that capacity.  Yet there are times in High Tier matches where firepower isn't enough and something has to be done to root out threats.  You can't shoot and kill what you can't see.  That utility drives off DDs from the caps and assists your team in the Anti-DD effort.  Salem can't do that.  Not with sh*tty Tier VII Atlanta Radar at Tier F-cking TEN on a Tier X Cruiser Concealment Range.

I get that WG is trying to make Salem different from Des Moines, but this version of Salem is outright WORSE in every meaningful way than Des Moines.  That special Repair Party does not change anything.

[LEGIT]
Members
483 posts
6,785 battles
8 hours ago, Blackgunner said:

Content Moderated by HeadlockMvnky

If I say your house is on fire would you believe me with my profile pic?

• Bad 1

[BSL]
Members
798 posts
14,929 battles
8 hours ago, Blackgunner said:

Content Moderated by HeadlockMvnky

Friend, LWM is prolly the most trusted reviewer in the WoW community.

• Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
282 posts
2,498 battles

Earliest ive been to a Review. Much props for the section under Island Waifus, its funny as heck

[PVE]
Members
6,450 posts
11,447 battles

I will never get Salem as everything I have seen here and elsewhere indicates this ship will cost coal or steel. It appears the only chance at these new currencies will be through PVP activity (that's fine - NOT complaining) so as a PVE player I won't have a chance at Salem, even if I wanted it, if that is how to get it. So I basically read this review out of curiosity to see what LWM said as I was in a Co-op game where she was testing it. Kind of wanted to see where it went. 

Reading this review though and seeing they went with a base T5-T8 perma camo vs giving it a T10 perma camo (it's a T10 - give it a T10 camo!) means I wouldn't want it even if I could get it somehow. That is frankly idiotic. Why on God's green Earth would anyone get such an expensive ship (let's be honest this will be expensive in game terms even if it is just games played to earn coal/steel) and then have to risk losing credits to play it? Why would anyone get such an expensive Premium ship that has almost no benefits of a Premium?

The rest of the negatives and such don't bother me personally. I suspect if you can work a Des Moines (I suck at it but others do well) I am sure Salem will be ok. I just see no reason outside ego (look at me I have Salem) or some kind of collector syndrome to want it? Don't see any point. Des Moines will be a better performer and earner so...?

I may never own a Salem but I can say I killed one (a bot one anyway) LOL.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,640 posts
13,211 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Why on God's green Earth would anyone get such an expensive ship (let's be honest this will be expensive in game terms even if it is just games played to earn coal/steel) and then have to risk losing credits to play it? Why would anyone get such an expensive Premium ship that has almost no benefits of a Premium?

Captain training and credit farming are only two reasons people might want a premium. For some people it's the history, others the name, yet others just like the play style. I know I for one don't really care about captain training (I have other ships for that) nor credits (I have 580 million just sitting there).

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[PVE]
Members
6,450 posts
11,447 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I think it's too little too late.

The main complaint about T8 ships is 'always' being uptiered in T10 matches. Why is that? Because people are playing a disproportionately large amount of T10 ships. "But isn't the economy supposed to prevent that?" Originally, yeah. But with boosts on camo, signal flags, the generosity with which WG keeps hanging the both of them out, and even the sale of T10 permacamos with significant economic bonuses, credits are easier to come by than ever, so large amounts of people can afford to drive their T10s without issues.

People complained about high tier ships being too expensive to run. WG listened by making credits easier to come by and flattening service fees. And now we're complaining that there are too many T10s so our T8s feel out of their depth.

I don't want to sidetrack the thread here but I worked darn hard to get all the T10's I have. I enjoy playing them. IMO it is only right that WG has made it possible to play them economically with camo and such.  MM is the issue not credit earnings. Why even have T9 or T10 if you make it impossible to play them economically? And if it was so everyone stopped playing at T8 then we would have people constantly complaining about T6 facing T8 (oh hey we do now LOL). Again, it is MM not credits.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,450 posts
11,447 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Captain training and credit farming are only two reasons people might want a premium. For some people it's the history, others the name, yet others just like the play style. I know I for one don't really care about captain training (I have other ships for that) nor credits (I have 580 million just sitting there).

Right and I covered that point after the part you quoted.  Salem and DM = exact same playstyle but the Premium will earn less and offer little benefit besides letting you use any Capt you want on it (but terrible XP bonus so it is no Capt trainer). It also appears to be slightly worse then DM performance wise so it doesn't even get a power edge. So it comes down to being able to brag/say look at me I have Salem or collector/history. Going to be an awfully expensive ship to have for the reasons I can think of to have it. But if they want it all the more power to them. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,640 posts
13,211 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Salem and DM = exact same playstyle but the Premium will earn less and offer little benefit besides letting you use any Capt you want on it (but terrible XP bonus so it is no Capt trainer). It also appears to be slightly worse then DM performance wise so it doesn't even get a power edge.

Your post came across to me like a "why would anyone want a ship like that" in general, rather than DM / Salem specifically. I have no interest in Salem for exactly the reasons you mentioned, though for me captain training and credit earning are still not very interesting.

[PVE]
Members
6,450 posts
11,447 battles
47 minutes ago, Lert said:

Your post came across to me like a "why would anyone want a ship like that" in general, rather than DM / Salem specifically. I have no interest in Salem for exactly the reasons you mentioned, though for me captain training and credit earning are still not very interesting.

:Smile_honoring:

Capt training would be an issue for me still as I continue to work many Capt's to 19pts. I have 6 now so the elite XP comes in and helps a lot but with so many ships I play I need MORE! LOL I don't consider a T10 ship as an ideal Capt trainer but as a Premium it should have good XP modifiers which it doesn't. Same as any T5-T8 with a perma camo.

I have actually reached a point credits aren't an issue for me even as a PVE player. I am almost at 200 Million in the bank. I have all the T10 BB's  and 4 of the 6 T10 Cruisers. I don't DD or CV so no more lines to grind until new ones come out with BB and Cruisers. I have tons of Premiums ships too. Credits are no longer a problem for me even in Co-op.  BUT with that said I would have little interest in a ship that actually costs me to play it. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,844 posts
4,814 battles

Looks at superheal

"I say chaps, it looks like those Yanks have stolen some of our bloody engineers."

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[SPTR]
Members
1,943 posts
930 battles

I'm a little disappointed with her meh-ness. I want her cause my grandfather served aboard her on 1951-52, but she's so eh that I'm not sure if she'll be worth it. We'll see how much she costs...

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
2 hours ago, KAGA_kaini said:

If I say your house is on fire would you believe me with my profile pic?

Honestly, I would go and double check just to be sure before calling 911.  There's just something about the nature of the picture involved that just throws me.

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Friend, LWM is prolly the most trusted reviewer in the WoW community.

Perhaps among his/her own kind, but I personally dislike the nature of the style these pictures identify.  There are artistic expressions, and then there are fan services.  Too many blow proportions out of the water and shouldn't be considered art in any meaning of the term.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 8