You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HeathenForay

Yugumo 12km Torpedo Upgrade?

17 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
579 posts
5,940 battles

Only a few games into the Yugumo grind and I'd like to know if the 12km torps are worth it? That's 60,000XP....60,000 freakin XP closer to Shima. I was really fond of Kagero TRB build towards the end of it's grind. I made it work ok. Same torps on Yugumo, so I'm really struggling to see the value here. What do you all think?

[SYN]
Members
3,118 posts
14,306 battles

Yes extremely yes

The extra 2km in range makes a huge difference with the number of radar cruisers and  particularly if you a re playing with TRB.

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

If you are doing well, then I wouldn't upgrade them. 

It seems your ultimate goal is the Shima.

If you are struggling, then get them.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,895 posts
15,672 battles
25 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

That's 60,000XP....60,000 freakin XP closer to Shima.

Rushing to get to tier 10 is foolish ... where are you going to rush to after that? Yugumo is a really fun and competitive ship, and you should take the time to learn and enjoy her.

Members
1,860 posts
10,311 battles

It depends on your play style. 

I still run F3s occasionally even in this meta.  All three torps will serve you well if you do your part getting into good positions.  The 93 Mod 3 are the most commonly used torp on her these days I believe.

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
579 posts
5,940 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Rushing to get to tier 10 is foolish ... where are you going to rush to after that? Yugumo is a really fun and competitive ship, and you should take the time to learn and enjoy her.

Some might say wasting their valuable time grinding 60,000xp for a torp "upgrade" is foolish. Time I can spend on other lines, with my kids, working on my house, ya know REAL life.... Your second statement  is constructive, the first, not so much. Even with all the goodies I have that's quite a few games, every minute of my "me time" counts so try not to be so dismissive in regards to someone else's time.

Thank you all for the input. I'm doing alright with the 10km torps for now...might change my mind yet, we'll see.

• Boring 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,551 posts
25,610 battles

I’ve had the Shimakaze for a really long time.  I play the Yugumo much more often.  Almost twice as many battles actually.  It has better guns and better maneuverability. Playing naked with the Torp Reload Booster is challenging but lots of fun.  

The 12 km torps are essential for running the TRB because of all of the radar. I tried the F3 torps.  It was fun when they connected but virtually suicidal getting into launch range  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,861 posts
10,762 battles

The real choices for Yugumo are just between 8km F3 and 12km 93 mod.3. 10km 93 mod.2 is identical in all aspects to mod.3 but with shorter range. There's absolutely no reason to use it over mod.3.

If you like faster torps but find F3's 8km range wanting, use TA with mod.3. You get 9.8km F3 in all intents and purposes. (4kt slower but with the same reaction time)

Edit: mod.3 also has higher flooding chance than mod.2. So there.

Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,895 posts
15,672 battles
10 hours ago, HeathenForay said:

Your second statement  is constructive, the first, not so much.

Actually, the first statement is much more appropriate and helpful than the second. Rushing through anything almost certainly guarantees that you will not enjoy it, and will feel anxious and (self) pressured to achieve a goal which may or may not be fulfilling. Getting through a line of ships, any line, is somewhat like life in general; it's not a destination, it's a journey you can either rush through or relax and enjoy. The choice is yours, but I can almost guarantee that one will be enjoyable while the other is frustrating.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
579 posts
5,940 battles
32 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Actually, the first statement is much more appropriate and helpful than the second. Rushing through anything almost certainly guarantees that you will not enjoy it, and will feel anxious and (self) pressured to achieve a goal which may or may not be fulfilling. Getting through a line of ships, any line, is somewhat like life in general; it's not a destination, it's a journey you can either rush through or relax and enjoy. The choice is yours, but I can almost guarantee that one will be enjoyable while the other is frustrating.

This always happens. Someone sticks their head out and presents a simple request for feedback and the assumptions start rolling. The first statement was not helpful in any way. I merely asked whether or not 60,000xp is worth the reward. People assume I'm rushing, people assume I'm not enjoying anything. What's with the assumptions? I play this game to relax, I rarely get frustrated, I quite enjoy the progression and really only skip ships I see as ugly because I simply don't want to look at them. I just want to make the most of my "me time." Destinations, journey's whatever guys.... lets not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
576 posts
6,623 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 1:01 AM, HeathenForay said:

Only a few games into the Yugumo grind and I'd like to know if the 12km torps are worth it? That's 60,000XP....60,000 freakin XP closer to Shima. I was really fond of Kagero TRB build towards the end of it's grind. I made it work ok. Same torps on Yugumo, so I'm really struggling to see the value here. What do you all think?

The 12 Km torps on the Yugumo are so much better, IMO.  They are what, at least for me, makes the Yugumo worth taking into battle instead of the Kagero.  

My IJN DD WR falls off at T7 and T8, but with the added 2Km, It heads back up.  At least that's what I attribute it to. 

[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,653 battles

Honestly get them and don't rush to Shima, because Yugumo is way better than Shima lol. Savor it!

Edited by tenfingerstentoes

[HEROS]
Members
1,449 posts
12,386 battles

I've come to prefer the 12k torps.. gives me a bit of cushion twixt me and cruiser radar.  Thats also more room and time to turn around and run away because it is very very dangerous out there these days for DD's especially in high tier play.   

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
579 posts
5,940 battles

I wanted to post an update for future Yugumo players before this thread faded into obscurity...otherwise I would've waited until about 50 games or so, but this gives a really good idea what this ship can do, even in today's radar heavy meta.

I'm usually alone. I upgraded to the 12kms after only a few games and ran TRB for every game so far (I think, maybe the first I didn't but that's irrelevant).

This is my new favorite ship. She is keeping the 19 point captain, and she gets the engine boost mod to help get out of trouble.

It's so much fun it's just stupid, even my losses are good games. Love it. Thanks for the pointers :)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.42dac5a4de2f903afb4869c7db42b9fc.jpg

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 1

Members
894 posts
9,231 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 6:01 AM, Landing_Skipper said:

I’ve had the Shimakaze for a really long time.  I play the Yugumo much more often.  Almost twice as many battles actually.  It has better guns and better maneuverability. Playing naked with the Torp Reload Booster is challenging but lots of fun.  

The 12 km torps are essential for running the TRB because of all of the radar. I tried the F3 torps.  It was fun when they connected but virtually suicidal getting into launch range  

AFAIK the guns are the same between Shima/Yugu.  Yugu guns used to be better but Shimas were buffed a while ago - I believe made equal. 

I play both equally now that Shima took a detection buff.  With Shima detection buff has made it a straight up better ship IMO.  

I just did a gun build on Yugu today and run 12km torps as I believe they are the only valid choice. 

* I've had Shima for 2.5 yrs, both Ships have 19 point Captains.  I used to prefer Yugumo to Shima, but now I just like to have them with different builds and a T9 MM choice.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,911 battles

Considering the German DDs get away with 9.5/10.5km torpedoes while having significantly worse detection, I doubt you're missing much, putting aside the fast reload the germans possess. I'm at the Akatsuki and compared to Fubu, she's a blessing. Slightly faster torps are a minor upgrade. The biggest difference comes at speed and firepower. 
12km torpedoes just lets you torp from a bit further away honestly, more comfortable torpedo runs. 11.7km is the largest radar range you encounter, and 9.9 the average. You can effectively torp outside of radar range....but you generally avoid areas those ships are at anyway. Again, look at how you play, and theorize how it will affect your gameplay. 
I really like the 16km torps on Gearing for example. Compared to Fletcher's these seem to run on forever, and I've had numerous times where my torps hit the intended target, and then a minute later I get random torp hits again because they still hadn't disappeared. An extra 2km I doubt will make a difference though, and if they cost 60,000xp well.....I'd be questioning it too. My Iowa doesn't have her gunrange upgrade because I'm rarely max range, same for Fiji, same for Akatsuki, same for my fubu when I had her. If it's of questionable utility and you don't plan to keep her, why spend the extra XP and credits?
I'm still at Akatsuki but as she's enjoyable to play, I have no rush to burn past. My end goal is just Kagero after all.

Members
894 posts
9,231 battles
7 minutes ago, Seniorious said:

My end goal is just Kagero after all.

Wow, that's one of the few IJN DDs I don't have any interest in.  I really like Harekaze but I use the two other hulls, not the Kagero type hull.