Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DracosTalon

Why people that dont play get rewarded

104 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
28 posts
5,160 battles

 A friend of mine received a email to return to WOWS. In the email he received 100,000 free xp , 7,500,000 silver, 5 Freedom containers and a mission for free Stars and Stripes Texas! He has the game but never plays it. What a joke makes me wonder why i purchase premium and try so hard. Jealous NO just wish WG rewarded players that play and support them! Not those that have had the game for years but never sign in. I have been working my rear off trying to get enough free xp to upgrade the hull on Alsace. This is CRAZY!

  • Cool 13
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,297 battles

It's all marketing.

A while ago some people got a free ship.
The idea is if they (WG) give out free stuff to people who haven't played in a while, they'll play more, and be more likely to become a paying player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
1,629 battles

As I have stated on a previous post...I know Draco personally, and have played games online with him for about 20 years. I also know this person who got the email Cornucopia of items, and have also played games with him for about 20 years. Draco has a point in this : You work your rudder off in order to pound out a ridiculous mission for a special flag, or 5 camo, or 5 signal flags...but someone who hasn't played in over a year gets a handout?? I realize the flame that can come from a post like this BUT Wargaming having a right to earn money and pay their employees is totally different from holding a gun on people  for every little thing. Buy Premium time, buy ships, buy flags, etc. etc. Seems to me if they give away the Texas so freely maybe the other ships in the Premium shop are majorly overpriced? I know beyond any doubt Draco has paid for Premium time for the last 6 MONTHS STRAIGHT, he plays every night, as do I, and we are happy for the most part with the game. As with all games they are just that, a game and can have bugs. Also you can't please everyone all the time. BUT THIS IS A TOTAL SLAP IN THE FACE TO ANYONE WHO HAS EVER SPENT MONEY ON THIS GAME....PERIOD.

  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,811
[TBW]
Members
6,607 posts
12,463 battles

There is no reason to give bait to the fish that are already on the stringer.

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
704
[TF57]
Members
1,345 posts
4,050 battles

I get the frustration.

A friend who plays casually (few games a week) has just earned his first T6. My wife, who plays rarely and erratically, has collected 175k free xp, ~17mil silver, a Guilio and (possibly) a Texas thanks to the two handouts so far. She can skip straight to T6 if she wants, with 1/2 the games played (if that)....

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,539
[HINON]
Members
9,350 posts

This isnt an uncommon thing in the gaming world to draw in more players. If it helps keep the lights on and more players playing, great. I get way more stuff just playing the game than those rewards anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
704
[TF57]
Members
1,345 posts
4,050 battles

I'm surprised WG does not use login rewards - you know, every 50 or 100 logins you get a guaranteed supercontainer...

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
667 battles

Yes i understand the Marketing part. And to give someone a free ship or a little silver or gold to get them to play is ok. But come on look at the list of stuff they gave him for signing in NOT playing.  Frustrating is the word and annoyed !

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,179 posts
5,266 battles

it's not crazy, it's a bribe. an investment, if you will. if someone is no longer playing the game (and hasn't been for some time), there's no telling if they'll ever start playing again (meaning zero profits from them). WG simply gives them an incentive to play, in hopes that they will get hooked on the game again, and in the long run it might turn into more money for them. they also have to make it really good, otherwise most people would just delete the email and move on. worst case, they give a bunch of free stuff to an account that won't be active. either way, it costs them nothing and there's no chance at a loss, but much opportunity for gain.

you also seem to be forgetting the fact that we're literally in the middle of a mission for a free premium. WG does this kind of thing on a regular basis to reward active players. your selective memory is showing.

Edited by MidnightShamalan
  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,539
[HINON]
Members
9,350 posts
1 minute ago, Draconarius_1 said:

Yes i understand the Marketing part. And to give someone a free ship or a little silver or gold to get them to play is ok. But come on look at the list of stuff they gave him for signing in NOT playing.  Frustrating is the word and annoyed !

 

Well lets break it down, 100k free xp = 10 decent matches during one of those 3x weekends. Easy peasy or 2 SC. 7.5 mil silver, easy to get that from playing the game. 5 freedom containers, get those from working on the mission to get the Indy, which your friend will be too far behind on to finish, so you get a free t7 premium, and the camo for the texas? No biggie they just gave away the twich prime camo for texas owners recently as well.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
667 battles

No not forgetting the so called free premium that i am "working" for. And i have spent plenty on this free game in premium time! So no i do not owe WG anything. Thanks for being rude MidnightShamalan! 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
1,629 battles

EXACTLY THE POINT....a mission to EARN a free Premium Cruiser...it isn't being handed out free gratis.

3 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

it's not crazy, it's a bribe. an investment, if you will. if someone is no longer playing the game (and hasn't been for some time), there's no telling if they'll ever start playing again (meaning zero profits from them). WG simply gives them an incentive to play, in hopes that they will get hooked on the game again, and in the long run it might turn into more money for them. they also have to make it really good, otherwise most people would just delete the email and move on. worst case, they give a bunch of free stuff to an account that won't be active. either way, it costs them nothing and there's no chance at a loss, but much opportunity for gain.

you also seem to be forgetting the fact that we're literally in the middle of a mission for a free premium. WG does this kind of thing on a regular basis to reward active players. your selective memory is showing.

Marketing I understand...an incentive I can understand....but the over abundance of the incentive in that email is a slap in the face to anyone who has spent money on the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[WOLF4]
Members
1,220 posts
2,782 battles

This topic again? Seems to rear its ugly head once a month or more. It's an investment to lure a player back into playing. It costs WG nothing, but it could net them another player. It's smart.

Those of us that play often will get quite a few more items and missions just from being around and playing. What they should do though is some kind of customer appreciation targeted at those who log in frequently too. Someone mentioned SC's for logging in, that kind of idea isn't bad.

 

Edit: Forgot to add it lured me back into playing by giving me a GC, since then i've spent hundreds of dollars at the least. So it does pay.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
846
[STW-M]
Members
2,340 posts
6,235 battles

It's a marketing strategy to try and lure inactive players back into the game.

I mean, here's a list of premium ships I got without paying a cent (not counting gifts)

  • Aigle
  • Missouri
  • Nelson
  • Katori
  • Vampire
  • Varyag
  • October Revolution
  • Tachibana Lima
  • Duke of York

Sometimes, perspective matters

 

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,091 posts
10,430 battles

It is good they are trying to get people to come back but I agree the disparity between this and the mission rewards is extreme. In almost all cases you spend more flags completing the mission than you receive.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by CaptainTeddybear
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
28 posts
5,160 battles
2 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

It's a marketing strategy to try and lite inactive players back into the game.

I mean, here's a list of premium ships I got without paying a cent (not counting gifts)

  • Aigle
  • Missouri
  • Nelson
  • Katori
  • Vampire
  • Varyag
  • October Revolution
  • Tachibana Lima
  • Duke of York

Sometimes, perspective matters

 

 TY for showing me all your free premiums.Yes that marketing LOL SO SAD! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
704
[TF57]
Members
1,345 posts
4,050 battles
Quote

but I agree the disparity between this and the mission rewards is extreme.

This.

The lesson I learned: Next time you rage quit, uninstall completely for a month. 
You'll actually benefit.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,539
[HINON]
Members
9,350 posts
12 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

This topic again? Seems to rear its ugly head once a month or more. It's an investment to lure a player back into playing. It costs WG nothing, but it could net them another player. It's smart.

Those of us that play often will get quite a few more items and missions just from being around and playing. What they should do though is some kind of customer appreciation targeted at those who log in frequently too. Someone mentioned SC's for logging in, that kind of idea isn't bad.

 

Edit: Forgot to add it lured me back into playing by giving me a GC, since then i've spent hundreds of dollars at the least. So it does pay.

 

They do the big customer appreciation on the anniversary every year. Free supercontainers and dragon flags galore. It's a wonderful bonanza.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles
31 minutes ago, OldGeezerGamer said:

...BUT Wargaming having a right to earn money and pay their employees is totally different from holding a gun on people  for every little thing. 

They do no such thing. I know plenty of ppl play WoWS (and in the past WoT) without spending money... and they have plenty of T10s. 

 

As already stated: this is a common strategy and it is common because it works often enough to be worth it. I spend plenty of money on WG games and have no problem with them doing this. From all the easy missions and events I benefit plenty more from playing this game than taking a long break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
704
[TF57]
Members
1,345 posts
4,050 battles

Do you remember back in the day when there was no unlocks (and therefore no grind) and no permanent stats? Games like Quake etc?

You got every weapon, every class at the start. Or you could pick them up 10 sec into the game. 

Why did people even play videogames, I ask you!  How did companies get people to play their games?

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
28 posts
5,160 battles
9 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

This.

The lesson I learned: Next time you rage quit, uninstall completely for a month. 
You'll actually benefit.

Yep wows.wot and wop ! It dont matter what i say or any of you. The fact is i am annoyed and frustrated with it all. GN 

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
1,629 battles
14 minutes ago, TheHolySpork said:

They do no such thing. I know plenty of ppl play WoWS (and in the past WoT) without spending money... and they have plenty of T10s. 

 

As already stated: this is a common strategy and it is common because it works often enough to be worth it. I spend plenty of money on WG games and have no problem with them doing this. From all the easy missions and events I benefit plenty more from playing this game than taking a long break.

Premium Time : PAY $$

Used all your flags trying to make the few we give out? : PAY $$$

Want to retrain a Captain but haven't earned any experience to spend? : buy gold : PAY $$$

As I stated before I understand the strategy, and marketing behind it. I don't find any fault with any business that tries to make more money, after all, that is why they are in business. 

For example : 

My local cable company charges me $99 per month for my internet connection. DAILY I see television ads offering the same speed I have to NEW SUBSCRIBERS for $19.99 per month for the first 2 years. I have been with this cable company OVER 45 YEARS, and do you think ONCE during that time there was any gratitude showed to me for being a loyal customer??? When I call and ask for a loyalty discount I get gasps and snickers. There is nothing wrong with this practice at all BUT IT IS LOP SIDED. Show gratitude to the loyal people who spend money and play the game in a manner GREATER than those who MIGHT PLAY.

Edited by OldGeezerGamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles
3 minutes ago, OldGeezerGamer said:

Premium Time : PAY $$

Used all your flags trying to make the few we give out? : PAY $$$

Want to retrain a Captain but haven't earned any experience to spend? : buy gold : PAY $$$

As I stated before I understand the strategy, and marketing behind it. I don't find any fault with any business that tries to make more money, after all, that is why they are in business. 

For example : 

My local cable company charges me $99 for my internet connection. DAILY I see television ads offering the same speed I have to NEW SUBSCRIBERS for $19.99 for the first 2 years. I have been with this cable company OVER 45 YEARS, and do you think ONCE during that time there was any gratitude showed to me for being a loyal customer??? When I call and ask for a loyalty discount I get gasps and snickers. There is nothing wrong with this practice at all BUT IT IS LOP SIDED. Show gratitude to the loyal people who spend money and play the game in a manner GREATER than those who MIGHT PLAY.

They don't force you to spend any money. Or does someone from WG show up at your door? Plenty of ppl are f2p.

 

If there is nothing wrong with this practice then why make this post? What are you complaining about then? You want them to give you free stuff just for playing? Well, they do. There are constantly missions where you earn rewards just for playing the game... they don't have to do that but choose to do it to reward you for your activity. 

 

And yes, cable companies do not do that but airlines do. Fly with them often and get miles and free upgrades. Not sure what either has to do with WG, but there you go...

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
567 posts
75 battles

This is no different than credit card or cable companies waiving fees if you threaten to cancel. Take a marketing class or own your own company and maybe you guys complaining will gain some perspective. Every subscriber is part of a marketing segment and offers are customized to cater to each segment based on consumer behavior and company objective. 

I place executives in companies. Every contract I negotiate has different terms based on my fee, when they need to pay it, and how long I guarantee replacing the candidate if they don't work out. When I have a client that is tight on cash flow, I offer them terms I don't offer to clients I know can pay quickly. For clients I haven't done business with for years, I'll send out a marketing email advertising a reduced fee. A five percent reduction in my fee can result in tens of thousands of dollars in savings my other active clients don't save. And here you're getting triggered over a marketing incentive worth pennies in comparison. Again, perspective. 

Having more players return to the game helps you with reduced queue times and more content because as we all know, WG doesn't produce content unless they first feel there is enough activity to consume it. Social justice warriors whining about fairness always lose out in the end because that juvenile mindset runs against the grain of the natural forces of the universe. 

You can always spot the irrational folks because they always whine when they are on the shorter straw side but you NEVER hear them making whine posts complaining about times when something works in their favor when others didn't get the same benefit. 

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×