You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Viper101

Bois- Nueve de Julio...?

37 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,288 battles

Alright, according to the last ST (concerning this ship) USS Boise will be released as the ARA Nueve de Julio. It will be the first Pan-American ship in the game. 

I think this is cool, new nations (or collections of nations), are always welcome.

But I must confess... I feel a little cheated.

So far, the only premium cruisers the American line gets at tier 7+ are Atlanta and Indianapolis (Flint being a special case).

Why aren't there more?
There are so many with rich (and tragic) history.
Vincennes, Juneau, Chicago, Quincy (CA-71), Canberra (CA-70), or even Oregon City.

With the New Orleans and Baltimore moved down a tier, I really hope to see some of their sisters make it into the game.

Spoiler

Some may argue that "well, other lines won't get equal treatment (Germany, Japan, etc)".

And to that I say this: Japan should have some more premiums at the same tiers. Heavy cruisers like Mikuma, Tone (!), and others should be in game (IMO).
Germany didn't really have a heavy cruiser design outside of the Hipper and the Graf Spee as far as I know (correct me if I am wrong).
The fact that there hasn't been a Royal Navy Heavy cruiser yet is borderline criminal, and the HMAS Canberra would be awesome to see under the Commonwealth flag).
France... well there are some ships that were present at Mars el Khabir, but after the Fall of France, there wasn't much their Navy could do...
Russia is in a similar situation as France, but at least has strong showings at tiers 6 and 8 (Molotov and Kutuzov).
Italy.. Well. Zara would probably be a good fit at tier 7.

Edited by Viper101
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 5

Members
1,174 posts
3,153 battles

I feel really terrible about this. The ship didn't really have any interesting history with Argentina, so why not release it as Boise? I see no reason for such a good American light cruiser that fits many of the characteristics of the line to be stripped from the hands of players who wanted to use her to grind commanders, which is what that ship would be good at. 

Edit- I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a pan-american nation. I totally support that and it would be cool to get different nation's ships in the game. I would have no problem with Boise being Nuevo de Julio, but right now the americans need a premium cruiser as a commander trainer. It's just not the right time for a new nation. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint
  • Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[WORX]
Members
1,998 posts
13,484 battles

I am assuming these CA, are representing a CLASS more then a ship within there class. I am guessing they don;t want to repeat the same type class BUT bring in a new class.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,916 posts
14,325 battles
49 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

So far, the only premium cruisers the American line gets at tier 7+ are Atlanta and Indianapolis (Flint being a special case).

USS Marblehead glares from the Depths of Tier 5. 

One could also say the USN is well served by the two Cruisers it does have at Tier 7. The Atlanta is a very light cruiser that is probably better at training Destroyer captains. And the Indianapolis is well suited to train captains for the CA line. 

:cap_cool:

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Funny 1

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,288 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

USS Marblehead glares from the Depths of Tier 5. 

:cap_cool:

American Cruisers tier 7+

Even though the Marblehead sees tier 7 regularly so what's the difference?

[NDA]
Supertester
4,916 posts
14,325 battles
4 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

American Cruisers tier 7+

Even though the Marblehead sees tier 7 regularly so what's the difference?

That was kind of the joke. Marblehead; premium USN cruiser, fights T7 ships and added bonus will never fight in Tier 9 battles. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,321 posts
11,832 battles

I appreciate WG saving me some money on this.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[POP]
Members
1,183 posts
15,570 battles
52 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

i hope the reason is they are planning unique premiums for the USA CL line

Gerbs you know full well when ever a new line comes out WG always give us the opportunity to earn one of Czar's much vaunted  tier 3 protected Cruisers as a lovely Port Queen :cap_haloween:.

Please don't give the children ideas about Capitalist stealth firing USN Cruisers as premiums for the next USN Cruiser line coming out next patch :Smile_teethhappy:

Russian protected Cruisers  working as intended comrade

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Supertester
1,475 posts
16 battles

In an ideal world I would have Helena as a T8 premium to acompany the release of the USN CL line in full, with Brooklyn taking place at T7 in place of Helena. However, WG have chosen the route that for now cheats the USN of a Brooklyn class entirely, which is a bad move. But not one I can get worked up over, the USN already has a few premiums about. Indianapolis, Atlanta, Flint, Marblehead and even the little old Albany.

Compare this to say the Marine Nationale, with just De Grasse for sale, or the Royal Navy, with just Belfast which has been exiled from the premium shop. There are more pressing needs for a premium cruiser out there.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,139 posts
6 minutes ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

Im hoping for Wichita .. They even said on a stream QA that usn is missing a premo at T8.

In that case missing a T8  And  T9  since the Missouri  left:Smile_great:

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
556 battles

Give. Us. The. Wichita. 

• Bad 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
556 battles
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am assuming these CA, are representing a CLASS more then a ship within there class. I am guessing they don;t want to repeat the same type class BUT bring in a new class.

They're CLs, not CAs.

What they should have done was put the Brooklyn-class (Boise) on the tech tree and Helena as a premium.

1) Helena was not the name-ship of a class. She was the 2nd of a 2-ship class, the St. Louis.

2) St. Louis was not a true 'class' in and of itself. It was a subclass of the Brooklyn. 

3) The Brooklyn as a class was much, much larger than the 2-ship subclass the Helena belonged to.

4) Helena herself was kind of a hero ship, like Indy and Arizona. Thus she should be a premium and Brooklyn (represented by Boise) should be the tech tree class.

• Bad 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,830 posts
4,814 battles
4 hours ago, Viper101 said:

Why aren't there more?

The British currently have zero premium cruisers available or sale. I can't say I sympathise. Aren't you guys also getting USS Salem soon?

• Cool 1

Members
3,639 posts
4,561 battles
5 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I feel really terrible about this. The ship didn't really have any interesting history with Argentina, so why not release it as Boise? I see no reason for such a good American light cruiser that fits many of the characteristics of the line to be stripped from the hands of players who wanted to use her to grind commanders, which is what that ship would be good at. 

Can't agree with this more. Not to mention - STOCK BROOKLYNS ARE THE SMEXIEST AMERICAN CRUISERS OF ALL TIME:

880px-USS_Brooklyn_(CL-40)_in_the_Hudson

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
8,094 battles

I really wanted to crack open a cold one with the Boise. Now I have to find a crappy pun for it's Argentinean name... Am disappoint

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[SBS]
Members
2,816 posts
2,375 battles

My idea was for an A and B hull.  The A hull would the ARA Nueve de Julio, the B hull would be the USN Boise.  It would make this ship different enough to stand out, you'd be able to train two different nation's captains, no extra balancing for WG and more sales.  Everyone wins. 

• Bad 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,321 posts
11,832 battles
8 hours ago, Trainspite said:

In an ideal world I would have Helena as a T8 premium to acompany the release of the USN CL line in full, with Brooklyn taking place at T7 in place of Helena. However, WG have chosen the route that for now cheats the USN of a Brooklyn class entirely, which is a bad move. But not one I can get worked up over, the USN already has a few premiums about. Indianapolis, Atlanta, Flint, Marblehead and even the little old Albany.

Compare this to say the Marine Nationale, with just De Grasse for sale, or the Royal Navy, with just Belfast which has been exiled from the premium shop. There are more pressing needs for a premium cruiser out there.

I completely agree with you.  You'd have thought they would have rolled out some flavor of premium Fiji to replace the Belfast, at the very least.

• Bad 2

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,288 battles
13 hours ago, Trainspite said:

I did outline other nations woes in the spoiler, just in case you missed that. I’m not well versed with the ships that the Marine Nationale, and from what I’ve read a majority of the fleet was scuttled at Mars el Khabir to be scrapped later on. 

12 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The British currently have zero premium cruisers available or sale. I can't say I sympathise. Aren't you guys also getting USS Salem soon?

Again: look at the spoiler. A heavy cruiser (the class escapes me, but the same ship as the HMAS Canberra) would be great. As would a light cruiser of the Town Class (that’s not Belfast). 

The whole reason I made this post is because the American Tech tree has been out the longest, and has had only one higher tier premium cruiser released. And it’s a mediocre one at that. Atlanta is the strongest of the bunch (with flint coming in second), and that’s only tier 7.

The fact that the Boise isn’t going to be an American light cruiser just rubs me the wrong way. 

Edited by Viper101
  • Bad 1

[5D]
Members
1,287 posts
7,597 battles
10 hours ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

Im hoping for Wichita .. They even said on a stream QA that usn is missing a premo at T8.

Yassssss

Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

How do you feel cheated when there are other nations with even less representation at those tiers for cruisers?

Russian - MK, Kron and Stalingrad = 3 
USN - Indy, Flint, Atlanta = 3
IJN - Atago = 1
British - Belfast = 1
French = 0
German - Prinz Eugen = 1
Pan Asian = 0
Commonwealth = 0
Italian - Abruzzi = 1

If you include the incoming Salem, then the USN would actually have the most cruisers at 7+.

Edited by EmperorMaxwell
  • Cool 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,738 battles

oh boy here we go again.

i'm not argentinian but..

EL NUEVE DE JULIO ES ARGENTINO.

thanks and have a good day.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,888 posts
8,340 battles
13 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Because WG is trying to get every nation represented, Why? Because unlike tanks or planes, ships are treated and revered like real estate. Given this is no longer a ww2 confined game, its appropriate and befitting not just for the health of the game but for WG as well.

• Cool 1