Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Asashio - the two-faced murder cow

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles

sasha.thumb.PNG.99e3ee6b9fb7d2beb71e10aa2957469e.PNG

 

With first 50 battles done, several builds tried out and many ships "made to have a really bad day" I wanted to share my experiences on this interesting little ship that appears to have a crisis of identity. I hope this will help some people who are struggling with Asashio and I certainly learned quite a  lot of new things about IJN DDs and DD play in general that I wanted to share. If you don't want to read the entire review - skip to Tl;dr in the end.

I had a very decent run in Kagero, getting 16k over server average damage and over 55% WR and so when this boat was announced I knew that I really want to have her in my port, but I was certainly not under the impression that she was going to be OP. I knew very well all the limitations of Kagero-class and so came to play testing Sasha, as I like to call my fat girl, with an open mind. The all-too-well known problems of Kagero-class destroyers are the very limited maneuverability - it's embarrassing when "ze Germans" are faster and more agile than your IJN DD; her gun dpm is among the lowest in her tier, with only Ognevoi being just a touch behind and as usual for all IJN ships, using what amounts to hamsters turning turrets doesn't work all too well - turret rotation is glacial.

On the other hand you have the best in class concealment, good torpedoes, very comfortable gun handling and decent fire chance per shell. 

So when she finally got released, I put my Yamamoto captain on her and decided that probably the gunnery can't really be salvaged, so I'll improve torpedoes instead. So I went with the standard IJN DD build for first 10 points and then added TA, AR and TAE on top to make torpedoes absolutely ridiculously strong. The reason for getting Torp Acceleration is simple - there are three main factors affecting torpedo hit rate: detection range, speed and travel time to range. First and second ensure that once detected, target has little to no time to do torpedo beats and the short travel to range helps to mitigate any potential maneuvers that target may take prior to detecting torpedoes. The less time between launch and hit - the less chance for enemy BB to randomly change course and speed and cause your fish to miss. 20 km range is also excessive - unless you can see the future, there's no telling what other ship may decide to do in 3+ minutes it takes torps to travel that far.And this build certainly did work magically. After 22-odd games I was sitting comfortable at 93k average damage and having had my highest-ever damage game in a DD and highest base XP game ever.

Spoiler

 

5b2595dcdc2ee_WorldOfWarships2018-05-0317-14-47-30.thumb.jpg.bf4a2d6deec1ac05bd0a235dbbeae37f.jpg5b2595e1765b7_WorldOfWarships2018-05-0317-14-50-19.thumb.jpg.50bd195aece4b31bff0340b0db935988.jpg5b2595e5accf2_WorldOfWarships2018-05-0317-14-52-64.thumb.jpg.a3ce3083222bc1167453ac4b7b4ba7a5.jpg

 

 

 

 

Yet, one thing was bothering me - my WR. I normally care most about winning rather than getting best possible personal score and with this build I was feeling uncomfortable. Damage was good, personal rating was good, but WR was sitting at 42% and often I felt like I couldn't really influence outcome of the match other than sinking battleships. Drastic changes were needed.

And so a new captain took helm on Asashio, bringing with him the following "gunboat" build: 

 

Spoiler

5b25974d00fb7_asashiobuild.thumb.PNG.ab5628a7cb7e8d6970e00d464da3bad0.PNG

 

And suddenly everything has changed. Ship started to feel completely different. I got confident (and often overconfident) in my ability to contest caps and drive off or even outright kill opposing enemy DDs regardless of what nation or sub-type of destroyers they belonged to. It really doesn't matter if enemy has better DPM (to an extent of course) if I can hit them with more shells on a regular basis. It doesn't matter if they have RPF or even hydro when I control engagement range. It doesn't hurt that turret rotation is slow if I can chose when to engage the enemy and have my turrets facing correct direction beforehand.

Enemy DDs started dying right and left. I wouldn't call Asashio played in this way a cap bully or a proper gunboat, but more of a ninja. You come out of the shadows when you see opportunity, unleash several 2k+ salvos and then disengage. Rinse and repeat until enemy is dead. On one occasion this tactic came to ridiculous situation where I solo-killed a Z-52, while only having lost 3k of my own HP.

But all this bonanza came at a cost of torpedo damage. With TA build I was sitting at a ridiculous ~12% torp hit rate by battle 22, yet at the moment it dropped down to 9.25%, which means that for the last 25 battles I was running at about 7% hit rate. But not only lack of TA was a fault - I was now doing more team work and used torpedoes more to herd enemy BBs where they don't want to be. Like launching torps behind a Yamato to force her to move forward into a crossfire.

As a result my damage numbers started to plummet. I dropped to 68k average, but on the other hand my WR climbed to 56.25% as of this morning and I have won last 8 games straight, in many of those being instrumental to the win, and had only 1 defeat in last 13 battles. My kill statistic changed in an interesting fashion too. If prior to build change I had only torpedo kills and I think I killed 1 cruiser with my guns, then nowadays I mostly stopped getting torp kills - I mostly nibble on BBs, but never kill them outright.At the same time, all the DDs I kill keep mounting up so soon enough I'll have more gun kills than with torps:

asashio_stats.PNG.1c77788ba640ccb08142cb6a785cfd9c.PNG

And my average game results look more in line with this example below. Very low damage totals, but nice base XP, solo capture, cap defenses and a solo kill on a T9 gunboat DD. And it's not like that Fletcher was a noob - no he's a 54% WR rank 5 player who knew what he was doing for the most part, except for underestimating my POWAAAAA! Yet as you can see in the last screenshot, I did 18k damage to him in two engagements, yet he only managed to do 11k to me. Trust in Asashio's guns, they won't let you down if you show the some loving as well.

Spoiler

 

5b259dd5eb170_WorldOfWarships2018-06-1622-02-54-62.thumb.jpg.379d95d3e1dbc02ad5951093b234858d.jpg5b259dd9a2246_WorldOfWarships2018-06-1622-02-58-09.thumb.jpg.b340075dc111d3af874b43bccf513c14.jpg5b259dddee2ce_WorldOfWarships2018-06-1622-04-08-56.thumb.jpg.2db6d16d3474d39a3b836f99f89b7c4c.jpg

 

 

 

So, with these two different approaches I found how to be good at killing BBs and how to be a good team player and murder enemy lolibotes. Yet, a more balanced approach is required. So starting from today a new build will come in place. I will abandon TAE for TA. Reasoning is as follows: based on my experience TA provides at least 50% better hit rate and I feel it's of greater use than being able to launch extra 1 or two salvoes per match. I would really like to slot in Superintendent but will have to lose AR and don't want to do it. Really helps in gunfights.

asashio_build_3.thumb.PNG.8c729d519325b9dce37260aaf34b807e.PNG

 

I'm expecting to have lots more fun with my Sasha and she's definitely a worthy premium. She got me to think of various strategies, experiment with builds and taught me a lot of things about DD play in general. So here's my advice to all IJN dd players and Asahio players in particular.

Tl;dr

1. Captain Obvious here. Scouting and cap control are main functions of a DD, even if you're as great at dealing damage as Asashio. Never sit and snipe at the back, never abandon caps without a fight and a very good reason to do so. If you don't scout for the team you will leave your flank blind and vulnerable. 

2. Use your guns. IJN guns may have inferior DPM compared to other nations and turrets traverse is slow, but if used correctly they are scary. What you lose in DPM you gain at least in large part in accuracy and good concealment allows you to prepare for the engagement and have guns pointing to the target.

3. Using a smoke to sit and shoot at enemy BB is a waste of resource. This same smoke can do more if used to cover friendly cruiser or to contest a cap. Using it for your own damage's sake shows a very selfish player.

4. Show dominance. Too often I see IJN dds when under fire from a USN DD simply run away with their cat ears tucked in and tail between legs. By doing so you're showing that you're scared of her and they will feel confident in the future to seek out and murder you. That's not to say, that you're giving your HP away for free. Don't be that guy. You see an enemy lolibote - punch her in the face with a 2k salvo, let her know that if she shows up again, she'll be punished again. Win mind game against your opponent.

     4.1. EDIT: When engaging enemy DD always sail away from them at an angle. This still allows you to shoot all your guns at the enemy, while making you a smaller target. It also increases shell flight time for the enemy, which means they have to take bigger lead, which is especially important when fighting USN or PA DDs. Also, away from them is usually towards friendly ships that can offer covering fire.

5. Screw RPF. Just don't care about RPF. Few people know how to use it well. In all my DD play I can count on one hand the number of cases where I got sunk specifically because of RPF. It's not a scary skill, but gives you information that an enemy is approaching so you have time to prepare and once again, in most situations, you'll have spotting advantage.

6. Using torpedoes in a DD v DD engagement. This doesn't relate to Asashio since her torps down't work against other DDs. Unless it's an absolute knife fight (which you shouldn't engage in to start with) time it takes to launch torps costs you around 2 full reloads and this is ~5k of damage you could potentially do to an enemy and if they're not a potato, they will dodge anyways. Use your guns against DD, that's what they are for.

7. With Asashio's torps you can play tricks on enemy DDs and CAs if they don't know that it's you who is launching torps. Deep water torps look the same as normal to the enemy ship until the moment they harmlessly pass underneath and they still get the standard torp warning. You can use them to force enemy cruisers/dds to turn away or to turn broadside to be devastated by friendly battleships. I've done it quite a few times and it cracks me up every time.

8. 20 km torpedoes are rather useless. Use Torp Acceleration and try to launch devastating strikes from within 10-12 km.

9. Map awareness. Just like the rest of IJN line (except Akizuki), Asashio works best in open caps, where you can use and abuse your concealment. Any island cover allows enemy DD or cruisers to come unspotted which could have disastrous consequences.  If you have to go into the cap where island cover exists, move around the cap to have line of sight into potential hiding place. Otherwise cap contest turns into a slugfest, which we don't want.

Well, that's about it. I'll add some if I remember more. Hope you enjoy the read.

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I'm waiting a bit longer before I go back to those, "the sky is falling", and "the Asashio is going to break the game," threads.

Letting the numbers normalize before I do so peeps can't wiggle out. :Smile_teethhappy:

Good info! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,625
[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,815 posts
4,814 battles

Thumbs up, I see that you too are a man of culture, and skilled operator of underaged torpedo loli botes. I enjoyed reading your experience as another Asashio player with a similar WoWs background of IJN torpedo boating. Before Warships Today became broken and showed top 100 player stats, I was for a time in the top 10 Kagero players (with 100+ battles) on NA server.

So far an all torpedo boat build has worked out for me, so I haven't tried a gunboat build. But I agree with much of what has been written. It is good advice for anyone struggling with Asashio or IJN torp boats in general.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
49 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

I'm waiting a bit longer before I go back to those, "the sky is falling", and "the Asashio is going to break the game," threads.

I thinks that has happened already, I'm seeing more threads like "Asashio sucks, give me back my money" and that's why I decided to share my experiences to help those struggling, because she's not an easy ship to play. It can get pretty tricky.

 

23 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I enjoyed reading your experience as another Asashio player with a similar WoWs background of IJN torpedo boating. Before Warships Today became broken and showed top 100 player stats, I was for a time in the top 10 Kagero players (with 100+ battles) on NA server.

I don't think I'm anywhere near as good :cap_haloween: Though I am in top-100 players (on WoWS-numbers) for Izyaslav both on Asia and RU, but that's a long shot from torp boat. 

24 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

So far an all torpedo boat build has worked out for me, so I haven't tried a gunboat build.

It is quite fun. It was hilarious when I murdered Z-52, who misplayed the situation big time and nearby red Yamato was observing our engagement waiting for guns to turn. He then went to say: "Z-52... really? Well played Asashio and now I'm dead". Totally made my day :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,808
[TBW]
Members
6,592 posts
12,435 battles

Always use the guns on a DD, unless you are going silent. If they can see you shoot back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
810
[SYN]
Members
3,118 posts
14,306 battles

Some excellent points and a good write up Geser.  Thanks

Asashio is a fantastic ship played to her strengths and my go to ship when I want a win. I'm at 120 games now and still enjoying her as much as the first game.

 

I would slightly amend some of your points as per below:

4 hours ago, geser98 said:

Tl;dr

1. Captain Obvious here. Scouting and cap control are main functions of a DD, even if you're as great at dealing damage as Asashio. Never sit and snipe at the back, never abandon caps without a fight and a very good reason to do so. If you don't scout for the team you will leave your flank blind and vulnerable. 

 

Good points here I would amend that slightly, be flexible contesting caps, they are important but not worth sinking over. Be particularly cautious early game as you don’t want to commit to a fight over a cap until you know all ships in the vicinity. Nothing worse than dueling a DD only to have a couple of cruisers pop up to assist him.  You can always come back and cap.

 

Quote

2. Use your guns. IJN guns may have inferior DPM compared to other nations and turrets traverse is slow, but if used correctly they are scary. What you lose in DPM you gain at least in large part in accuracy and good concealment allows you to prepare for the engagement and have guns pointing to the target.

Always try to engage in gun fights when you are sailing away from the target. That way you can get all your guns in use, maintain a general course avoiding the need for turrets to traverse large arcs, and restrict the enemy to only using his front guns. With Asashio’s great concealment you can almost always position yourself to do this.

 

Quote

7. With Asashio's torps you can play tricks on enemy DDs and CAs if they don't know that it's you who is launching torps. Deep water torps look the same as normal to the enemy ship until the moment they harmlessly pass underneath and they still get the standard torp warning. You can use them to force enemy cruisers/dds to turn away or to turn broadside to be devastated by friendly battleships. I've done it quite a few times and it cracks me up every time. 

Deep water torps look different than normal torps for both the Asashio and the pan Asians (Slightly smaller indicator).  But I have seen plenty of people flinch which can buy you some time if you are in dire need.

 

As for captain builds mine is different than yours. There is no real 'right' build just what you feel gives you the most advantage.

Spoiler

PIQUi0R.jpg

PT - Lets me know if I am being targeted by concealed ships which is useful when capping early on in the game.

TA - Extra speed increases hit rate as you said

LS - A mandatory pick for DDs

TAE - Increase the rate of fire for your primary armamment.

BFT - Guns are very important I average 15k damage per game with guns and increased rate of fire is important

CE - Mandatory for all DDs particularly stealth boats

RPF - This provides a lot of useful data throughout the game and is particularly valuable in avoiding being ambushed near islands

 

 

 

 

Edited by Camo68
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Some excellent points and a good write up Geser.  Thanks

Asashio is a fantastic ship played to her strengths and my go to ship when I want a win. I'm at 120 games now and still enjoying her as much as the first game.

 

I would slightly amend some of your points as per below:

Thanks for your comment. I'll amend the original post.

2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Good points here I would amend that slightly, be flexible contesting caps, they are important but not worth sinking over. Be particularly cautious early game as you don’t want to commit to a fight over a cap until you know all ships in the vicinity. Nothing worse than dueling a DD only to have a couple of cruisers pop up to assist him.  You can always come back and cap.

Yes, I agree with that. That's why I put it along the lines of "don't abandon the cap without a good reason to do so". 

2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Always try to engage in gun fights when you are sailing away from the target. That way you can get all your guns in use, maintain a general course avoiding the need for turrets to traverse large arcs, and restrict the enemy to only using his front guns. With Asashio’s great concealment you can almost always position yourself to do this.

Totally forgot to write this, thanks! Seems like a second nature by now, especially when watching Flamu's videos and every time he engages enemy DD he always mentions that you need to always sail away when fighting DD v DD. I'll add this part. 

There are also a few DDs that are in fact good at chasing enemy like Gadjah Mada or Vampire with fantastic forward-looking arcs and much worse arcs to the back, but those are rare cases. Also, old Ognevoi was like that and I loved her.

2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

Deep water torps look different than normal torps for both the Asashio and the pan Asians (Slightly smaller indicator).  But I have seen plenty of people flinch which can buy you some time if you are in dire need.

Yes, but it's so slightly smaller, it can get confusing in the heat of battle especially when these torps move at 72 knots so you don't have much time to think :Smile_Default: 

2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

PT - Lets me know if I am being targeted by concealed ships which is useful when capping early on in the game.

I usually use PT on most my lolibotes, except Soviet gunboats. I simply always assume the worst that everyone in range will be shooting at me and act accordingly, but both are good choices.

2 hours ago, Camo68 said:

RPF - This provides a lot of useful data throughout the game and is particularly valuable in avoiding being ambushed near islands

It's good if it works for you. I found that it doesn't provide enough information to justify abandoning Survivability Expert, but at the same time I love it when enemy DDs have RPF - I always know that someone is coming for me and using the map and location of friendly ships, you can estimate quite accurately where the RPF-enabled ship is :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by geser98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
10 hours ago, geser98 said:

I thinks that has happened already, I'm seeing more threads like "Asashio sucks, give me back my money" and that's why I decided to share my experiences to help those struggling, because she's not an easy ship to play. It can get pretty tricky.

 

 

What an excellent post. 

I should honestly include myself in the 'thinking about selling the Asashio' crowd, if i'm honest. 

Further, when i'm on a team with an Asashio on our side ... I always groan a little bit because it's more likely to be played poorly and dead fast, than played well and getting kills.

I haven't heard anyone else giving such excellent advice of how to play her, i'll go copy your gunboat build as far as my captain points allow. 

I was using a similar/same torpedo build to yourself but somehow not successfully; i'm doing well to get 6 torp hits;  I have even been getting into some very close range encounters with battleships to increase the torpedo hit rate; but I can't say it's an appealing way to play ... she has been parked for a couple days now. 

Basically i'll play her if I think there's a viable chance of helping win battles, instead of being effectively AFK for 10minutes until I can come out of the shadows when the game is already won/lost by my team. 

Edit:

I made the build with 12 points; PM, / EM, LS, / BFT / CE - and had to drop TA and SE, regretfully. 

I do have a question - is it worth using IFHE when building a destroyer as gunboat? Are there national dd lines that make IFHE worthwhile or nearly compulsory?

Edited by IronShibby
Captain Build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
13 minutes ago, IronShibby said:

i'll go copy your gunboat build as far as my captain points allow. 

Glad you found it useful! Good luck and don't give up if at the start it will be not very successful. You need to get a feel and find your own limit and safety line between aggression and... well... trying to stay alive. Staying alive is still a priority, the longer you're in the battle, the more use you are to the team.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
810
[SYN]
Members
3,118 posts
14,306 battles
56 minutes ago, IronShibby said:

 

What an excellent post. 

I should honestly include myself in the 'thinking about selling the Asashio' crowd, if i'm honest. 

Further, when i'm on a team with an Asashio on our side ... I always groan a little bit because it's more likely to be played poorly and dead fast, than played well and getting kills.

I haven't heard anyone else giving such excellent advice of how to play her, i'll go copy your gunboat build as far as my captain points allow. 

I was using a similar/same torpedo build to yourself but somehow not successfully; i'm doing well to get 6 torp hits;  I have even been getting into some very close range encounters with battleships to increase the torpedo hit rate; but I can't say it's an appealing way to play ... she has been parked for a couple days now. 

Basically i'll play her if I think there's a viable chance of helping win battles, instead of being effectively AFK for 10minutes until I can come out of the shadows when the game is already won/lost by my team. 

 

If you are looking to improve your results I would spend some time watching youtubers like Flamu & Destroyer Kuroshiokai particularly how they position themselves.  Gaining an understanding of how to play well and good tactics certainly helped improve my play.

Edited by Camo68
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
13 hours ago, geser98 said:

So, with these two different approaches I found how to be good at killing BBs and how to be a good team player and murder enemy lolibotes. Yet, a more balanced approach is required. So starting from today a new build will come in place. I will abandon TAE for TA. Reasoning is as follows: based on my experience TA provides at least 50% better hit rate and I feel it's of greater use than being able to launch extra 1 or two salvoes per match.

Well, the new skill build is working well. 3 games of 100k+ tonight. Just waiting for the last 20k XP to finally get 19 point captain :)

5b265fb4602b1_WorldOfWarships2018-06-1721-16-26-16.thumb.jpg.4a5ebfff516170fc2900c79c8a13a4f3.jpg

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, IronShibby said:

I do have a question - is it worth using IFHE when building a destroyer as gunboat? Are there national dd lines that make IFHE worthwhile or nearly compulsory?

No. As your guns are mostly to be used against other DDs and occasionally to set fires to BBs hit by torps, you don't need IFHE. It's not Akizuki with her 100mm guns that needs IFHE in order to be able to damage T8+ DDs with HE. 127 mm guns work fine. Other than Aki, there's not really a DD that I know of that needs IFHE. You can use it on something like Izyaslav, but it's just seal clubbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437
[-GPS-]
Members
2,551 posts
25,610 battles

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. 

I’m particularly interested in your results with Torpedo Acceleration. I did the math on “Reaction Time” when the first reviews came out.  With their short detection range, TA doesn’t do anything meaningful.  Unless your target has hydro or someone else spots your torps, they aren’t going to have time for evasive maneuvers.  Period.  However, I did wonder about reducing the travel time and it appears that is a benefit from TA.  20 km is just stupid although it is amusing to hit a BB you completely forgot about 2+ minutes after you launched that torpedo.  I’d rather have 16 km torps if it didn’t cost me any other skill.

My problem with TA is that I use Radio Location on most of my DDs, especially IJN torp boats.  It is VERY useful to me.  RL helps me avoid enemy DDs when necessary, and lets me get my guns turned the right way when I want to engage them.  Early in a battle and later on when fewer ships are still floating, RL gives me valuable intel on where enemy ships are and where they’re headed.  With a hydro DD, RL improves my success by showing me which direction to push with hydro to flush out the red DD.  Yes, I have been hunted down a few times by players who knew how to use RL against me in the end game; however, I get positive benefits from RL in every DD battle  

I find Assholio frustrating because she is so dependent on MatchMaking and maps to really excel.

I was in a 2-BB per side Standard Battle game on Haven yesterday. It turned out OK only because both red BBs went the same way out west where there weren’t islands to block my torps. Asashio games tend to be difficult on maps without nice firing lanes. 

OTOH I had a very nice 189k Asashio battle on Warriors Path with 4 or 5 BBs per side. 3 of the red BBs were obliging enough to keep pushing into the C cap with predictable results. Then there was a Kurfurst who thought he was playing WoTs, stopping and starting behind an island.

Asashio has my second highest average damage out of all DDs. (Yueyang is top dmg.)  Her win rate is only 55% though.  

I can’t imagine trading in TAE on a ship so dependent on torps, but this thread does have me thinking...

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
5 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I’m particularly interested in your results with Torpedo Acceleration. I did the math on “Reaction Time” when the first reviews came out.  With their short detection range, TA doesn’t do anything meaningful.  Unless your target has hydro or someone else spots your torps, they aren’t going to have time for evasive maneuvers.  Period.  However, I did wonder about reducing the travel time and it appears that is a benefit from TA.  20 km is just stupid although it is amusing to hit a BB you completely forgot about 2+ minutes after you launched that torpedo.  I’d rather have 16 km torps if it didn’t cost me any other skill.

If you read my review, you remember how I was sad that my torp hit rate was dropping fast. It was 9.25% yesterday. And now I'm back to using TA and as of this morning it is:

5b26cb2d7b501_Screenshot-18_06_1804_56_50.png.ca752594d4588dc8816fc6f7ba3804f3.png

So, it took just 5 battles to get it up by 0.24%. This means that on an average for the last 5 battles since getting it back I was getting an average of 11.76%(!!) of torps on target. That is compared to around 7% that I had without this skill.TA works and it works well. On this boat.

As for RPF, I tried it on several occasions and didn't find it that useful. And particularly for the way of playing Asashio that I was describing in the review. Because what RPF is really good for? It's good for hunting enemy DDs and evading enemy DDs. Well, I don't want to actively hunt enemy DDs. Asashio is slow, turret layout doesn't work when chasing anyone and it gets you out of position. And I certainly don't want to run from enemy DDs. Well... occasionally I do, but those DDs I want to run from, like Khaba or Tashkent - I outspot them by miles. So I just want to engage enemy DDs when they try to mess with my cap and most times there are limited approach vectors to get there so I already have my guns trained to the right direction.

And for the cost of RPF you can get TA that increases your torpedo effectiveness greatly AND Expert Marksman, that makes it easier to move guns in case enemy comes from an unexpected angle. I would say that those two are better, but of course you mileage might vary.

Edited by geser98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437
[-GPS-]
Members
2,551 posts
25,610 battles
2 hours ago, geser98 said:

If you read my review, you remember how I was sad that my torp hit rate was dropping fast. It was 9.25% yesterday. And now I'm back to using TA and as of this morning it is:

5b26cb2d7b501_Screenshot-18_06_1804_56_50.png.ca752594d4588dc8816fc6f7ba3804f3.png

So, it took just 5 battles to get it up by 0.24%. And torpedoes felt so much more dangerous. TA works and it works well.

 

 

Well I stole a 17-point captain from Hosho and retrained him as follows:

Spoiler

6403A74C-5FF1-42A7-ADE2-95840E317EFF.thumb.jpeg.034a4a985033ef183c1acab2d760d22a.jpeg

In the first few battles seemed like the reduction in travel time made a difference.

Also, I was a little more careful about launching torps and tried to get closer to my intended target(s). With the 20km torps, I had a tendency to throw torps in the general direction of 2 or more BBs in a group regardless of the range on the theory that they were bound to hit something...

I don’t miss RPF much on Asashio. You can’t torp DDs, sitting in smoke or otherwise so knowing how they are approaching a cap doesn’t matter much. I frequently launch area denial/luck chucks based on RPF with other DDs but they are most likely to hit another DD or a cruiser. Battleships get spotted or at least they were and you can make an educated gues without RPF. 

Thanks again! I’ll report back in a while with further results... 

ETA:  Reducing travel time reduces the benefits of WASD hax.  The closer you are to your target, the less chance they have to make random maneuvers before they ever see your torps. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
115 posts
12,647 battles

Great topic and one I covered over on a post in the World of Warships Admirals Locker FB group a bit ago and I'm always posting vids on my YouTube channel.

I'm only running an 18pt capt but working on it. I honestly don't know if I'd change any of his skills. I think the release of this ship and its long torps even if Torp Acc was to make this ship even more viable were the prelude to all the new ships with radar they knew were coming and at lower tiers causing a different direction in game play.

It's a good ship but my "main issue is the initial torp reload time".......... but one that can be overcome by your fantastic detection range is the ships ability to spot and call targets before the first torp reloads are ready. Once the big guns are spotted and after you have called out what targets you could by calling out the radar cruisers and whatever red dds that have been spotted for one reason or another...***Launch everything you have***... Falling back to pick the cap you want to go after since most ships will have been spotted already. I win more guns fights with dds than I thought possible and I think that is because they have already been engaged and have lost health by the time I spot them (go after them if possible) and finish them off.

I'll post my stats here...not to brag as I'm not great in this ship but because I see different builds and results of such.

*Salute* my friends

ashresultssofar.jpg

ashresultssofar1.jpg

ashcapt18.jpg

Edited by Gyphon_GF
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50
[BOATC]
Members
185 posts
3,653 battles

I have a 12% torp hit rate in mine without TA. I didn't want to respec my normal IJN DD captain, so I run: PM/LS/AR/SE/TAE/RPF/CE.

Definitely would suggest getting closer to BBs. I haven't played as much since the US Cruiser event/radar rush, but even in the few Ive played since - you gotta get in at 10km and under. I cap and spot too while I'm doing it. Most of the time I try to do this at B cap/a central spot. This way I can more easily react to wherever the biggest glob of BBs heads to. I put a priority on BBs advancing on my cruisers. The best way to team play in Asashio is not trying to make it something it isn't, it's using those strengths for the good of the team. The biggest threat enemy BBs present is deleting your cruisers. Your cruisers can protect you from those other DDs, they just need to be able to peak out to do so. Getting rid of the battleships that will delete them when they try to support you goes a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
4 hours ago, tenfingerstentoes said:

I haven't played as much since the US Cruiser event/radar rush, but even in the few Ive played since - you gotta get in at 10km and under.

Things have gotten slightly more tricky, but not due to radar, even though capping has become a bit more dangerous. More importantly, MM has become more CL/CA-rich and so there are fewer targets you can easily kill. And compared to the first days after release, BB captains learned WASD-hacking, especially when they see Asashio in the team list, so launching torps from afar doesn't yield good results at all.

Otherwise 10 km radar is not scary. Soviet cruisers are more annoying.

5 hours ago, Gyphon_GF said:

I'll post my stats here...not to brag as I'm not great in this ship but because I see different builds and results of such.

194k damage - that should've been a nice game! :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[WAVE]
Members
20 posts
16,809 battles
On 6/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, Landing_Skipper said:

 

...

 It is VERY useful to me.  RL helps me avoid enemy DDs when necessary, and lets me get my guns turned the right way when I want to engage them.  Early in a battle and later on when fewer ships are still floating, RL gives me valuable intel on where enemy ships are and where they’re headed.  With a hydro DD, RL improves my success by showing me which direction to push with hydro to flush out the red DD.  Yes, I have been hunted down a few times by players who knew how to use RL against me in the end game; however, I get positive benefits from RL in every DD battle  

I also find RL very useful for avoiding torps. I use it to estimate the primary threat direction of enemy torps, especially when capping or in smoke. I position my DD so that I'm angled mostly toward or away from the RL direction. Before trying to do this as a habit, I failed to avoid torps all too often, now using RL to preposition, torps are easier to dodge. Of course being human, I get reminded periodically that I need to remember this.

Edited by GraySpirit
grammar fix
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[LHG]
Members
1,215 posts
5,096 battles
On 6/16/2018 at 7:22 PM, geser98 said:

Gunboat skills

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well. I'm only at 30 games so far but with respectable win-rate and damage with just 12 points. Though I think I kill more destroyers than battleships nowadays.

People just don't expect an IJN DD to gunfight them, much less beat them at it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Though I think I kill more destroyers than battleships nowadays.

I'm getting close. 23 killed with guns and 25 with torps.... and 1 killed by ramming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SYN]
Members
576 posts
6,623 battles
On 6/16/2018 at 8:22 PM, geser98 said:

7. With Asashio's torps you can play tricks on enemy DDs and CAs if they don't know that it's you who is launching torps. Deep water torps look the same as normal to the enemy ship until the moment they harmlessly pass underneath and they still get the standard torp warning. You can use them to force enemy cruisers/dds to turn away or to turn broadside to be devastated by friendly battleships. I've done it quite a few times and it cracks me up every time.

They don't look the same, but they sound the same.  It is strange to ignore the torps when all the sounds are those of danger. I don't have the Asashio but I have experienced those torps in IJN DD's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×