You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
braccheus

The Law of Unintended Consequences - Unsportsmanlike Conduct for Game Crashing

23 comments in this topic

[POTW]
Members
14 posts
1,380 battles

So I had cause to discover a new feature recently added to the game when my computer crashed a week ago while I was playing World of Warships. By my computer crashing, I mean of course that the World of Warships Application crashed and my computer was fine. I log back in today and see that I had been dinged for unsportsmanlike conduct by leaving a game early or being afk. 

Seriously? So what . . . It's my fault that the WoW game crashed on me? 

Was this possibility even considered? 

Rant over. Thanks for your time. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[H_]
Members
2,189 posts

It happens in all game I play....  Not your fault  !   It's there to keep the real idiots at bay whom actually DC intentionally as a method of farming......  

• Cool 1

Members
4,551 posts
7,419 battles

2-3 threads almost daily on the same subject.  It is likely one of the reasons the only penalty was taken down to 2 days. 

Also - if you get logged back in quick enough - no penalty at all.

BTW - not all game crashes are WGs fault either.  It would take a LOT of game crashes to cause any real penalty (orange status - play co-op to work off).

Edited by CylonRed

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles

My game crashed 3 nights ago and I restarted it and played battle. 

No penalty.

[KNTI2]
Members
887 posts
6,290 battles
14 minutes ago, braccheus said:

So I had cause to discover a new feature recently added to the game when my computer crashed a week ago while I was playing World of Warships. By my computer crashing, I mean of course that the World of Warships Application crashed and my computer was fine. I log back in today and see that I had been dinged for unsportsmanlike conduct by leaving a game early or being afk. 

Seriously? So what . . . It's my fault that the WoW game crashed on me? 

Was this possibility even considered? 

Rant over. Thanks for your time. 

> was this possibility even considered

Yes, and deemed irrelevant.

> so what, it's my fault the WOW game crashed on me

Yes, because a certain group demanded satisfaction from a minority of players who would rage quit. Now we can deal with rage suicides and players getting pink for reasons out of their control.

It's not a huge deal, but then again, neither were rage quits.

Whatever.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
13 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

My game crashed 3 nights ago and I restarted it and played battle. 

No prnalty.

Someone has to report you for that to happen.

Members
256 posts
7,842 battles

do we know how many unsportsmanlike reports from players it takes to go pink or orange?

someone already did the afk thing on test server and it took like 4 games to be pink and 7 -11 to become orange or thats what the caffeine deprived brain cells are telling me.

because I used to crash alot before the 7.5 update and never managed to become pink.....and since the 7.5 update I only started crashing again yesterday.

Edited by MokrieDela

[WORX]
Members
4,224 posts
15,313 battles
50 minutes ago, braccheus said:

So what . . . It's my fault that the WoW game crashed on me? 

No its not your fault because the WOWS client crashed on you. However, IT IS your fault for not returning to the match before the match was over,  IF you're not there for you team then you will get called for it. They're countless players with connect issues me included, as long as we return back BEFORE the match ends then there is no penalty. Two game pink no big deal to whine about it here. Just GL/HF and hope the Trump Admin don;t screw you over with repealing FCC rules which would;ve protected you from crappy service from your ISP. For now, other countries have better Connections then the US. (BTW if you dont leave in the US then this do not apply to you)

Members
3,382 posts
3,728 battles

Ah, so that's how it is. Yesterday I tried to play my Yorck and had a game crash, so I rebooted and tried to get back in but ended up stuck on the loading screen for the entire match. So when I finally got back into port and looked over my penalty, I saw I wasn't punished or pink (was called out for inactivity) and it left me confused. 

Members
4,551 posts
7,419 battles
42 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No its not your fault because the WOWS client crashed on you.

Potentially not entirely true - plenty of things can cause a game to crash and yet the rest of the PC is fine.  It has taken me weeks to determine the cause of random game crashes (not WoWs) before I found the cause.   Depends on the PC and can be very frustrating to determine.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles
2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Someone has to report you for that to happen.

I restarted and got into same battle.

I believe as long as you log into the same battle and move your ship and do damage then any ago reports are negated, as well as auto penalty system.

[FOG]
Members
530 posts
5,843 battles
1 hour ago, Yoshiblue said:

.....I saw I wasn't punished or pink (was called out for inactivity) and it left me confused. 

I got dumped a couple of weeks ago and frantically tried to log back in with belated success. I found that I had already been sunk, but on the subsequent summary report was noted as being AFK, but without penalty apparently due to logging back in (or words to that affect....)

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,365 posts
7,724 battles

Game crashed 3 matches in a row and I got turned pink. Oddly I didn't feel a need to whine about it here since putting my team down a ship 3 times in a row was more important than my ego for being pink.

• Cool 2

Members
37 posts
3,486 battles

I have a new iMac.  Will not be going back to a PC, reasons too long to list here.   The game crashes at the oddest times for me.   Sometimes I can play for almost two hours, never an issue.  Last night, three crashes inside 10 minutes.    I log back in right away, but sometimes I am already dead & sunk.   Sometimes there is a nasty comment, sometimes nothing.   Almost wish there was some kind of in game flag that would indicate a computer crash.

What really burns  me  however is when the power and / or internet goes down.  I do have battery backups, but twice now in the past two years that happens to me.  Once in WOW, once in WOT.   One time it was because there was a bad car crash about 1/2 a mile away form me that took out a utility pole and knocked out power phones and internet all over the place.   Another time a power transformer blew up, agian a half mile away from.  You log back in, get a nasty message or complaint.  What is anyone supposed to do in cases like that?

• Boring 1

Members
4,551 posts
7,419 battles
16 hours ago, maiingun said:

What really burns  me  however is when the power and / or internet goes down.  I do have battery backups, but twice now in the past two years that happens to me.  Once in WOW, once in WOT.   One time it was because there was a bad car crash about 1/2 a mile away form me that took out a utility pole and knocked out power phones and internet all over the place.   Another time a power transformer blew up, agian a half mile away from.  You log back in, get a nasty message or complaint.  What is anyone supposed to do in cases like that

Once a year will make you pink for 2 games/year - play on.  Absolutely no threat to be orange and play co-op for a longer time.

Members
37 posts
3,486 battles
9 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

this is the problem ^^^^^

Yeah, I get it.

Again, I get it.   Seriously.

Look, I've been using computers since the days of 300 baud acoustic modems.   My first PC was an IBM XT with 5.25" floppy drives.  I get it.  I know the issues and differences.    The bottom line is this - I need a machine for work, not playing games, and I do NOT have money for both.   I can put food on the table or I can play games.  So yes, I am f****d.  I got it already.    I was hoping for real solutions, not just another "oh, look another mac user" nasty comment.   Not a lot of help.

Members
37 posts
3,486 battles
58 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Once a year will make you pink for 2 games/year - play on.  Absolutely no threat to be orange and play co-op for a longer time.

I drop more than once  year, to be sure.  Dropped three times in a row the other night.   Just pointing out that sometimes when somebody goes afk, there is a reason for it, and sometimes a reason far beyond anyone's control.

Members
4,551 posts
7,419 battles
2 minutes ago, maiingun said:

I drop more than once  year, to be sure.  Dropped three times in a row the other night.   Just pointing out that sometimes when somebody goes afk, there is a reason for it, and sometimes a reason far beyond anyone's control.

and yet still not orange.  Problem is - they can't know why every time.  And this also needs to be remembered but going pink used to cost a LOT more games to work off.  Many people still whined even though the TK issue was generally pretty good and then they changed it.  There is never going to be one way that will make everyone happy and some will be swept in the umbrella - I have no doubts I will be in that as well and I will do what I did before - work it off and go on.

[WORX]
Members
4,224 posts
15,313 battles
3 hours ago, maiingun said:

I was hoping for real solutions, not just another "oh, look another mac user" nasty comment.

That was the solution, and no referring to you having a MAC as a problem is not a "nasty comment".  The solution is buy a dedicated PC laptop for which depending on where you live you cost about $800-$1000. MACs are handled by a third party, IF you have a problem trying to get help for it is not easy (hell even getting help for PC is not easy either). MACS are not good machines for gaming, so when I tell you its your MAC part of the problem that is not a "nasty comment" that is reality telling you the truth. Its up to you to if you want to follow my advice, I know what you're dealing with because I started off playing WOWS in a MAC. Trust me when I tell you its your MAC