Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Abides

The Cleveland, the death of the US Cruiser line.

97 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,001
[DUDE_]
Members
3,095 posts
13,169 battles

So the Cleve is a mini me Des Moines, has all the toys, radr, hydro, good AA... awesome detection...often uptiered,,, awesome opportunity for extra Xp. help me understand why to play the Balti now? or this Buffaturd in my port? You either protect a US cruiser or you don't, doesn't matter if you play a pepsicola or a des moines… just play the Cleve, and negate both trees from tier 5 through 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,118
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,349 posts
11,869 battles

I don't view Clevelands as a threat.  Baltimore can be scary.  That's why I'd play a Balto now.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,001
[DUDE_]
Members
3,095 posts
13,169 battles
5 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't view Clevelands as a threat.  Baltimore can be scary.  That's why I'd play a Balto now.

I can understand that as its much easier to obtain a Cleveland than a Baltimore, but playing tons of each, i'll never bring the Balti out of port over a Cleveland, and I am god mode in my Balti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,331 posts
6,566 battles
19 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

So the Cleve is a mini me Des Moines, has all the toys, radr, hydro, good AA... awesome detection...often uptiered,,, awesome opportunity for extra Xp. help me understand why to play the Balti now? or this Buffaturd in my port? You either protect a US cruiser or you don't, doesn't matter if you play a pepsicola or a des moines… just play the Cleve, and negate both trees from tier 5 through 10.

Both Balti and Buffalo are excellent cruisers..... I loved the Cleveland at Tier 6, but it seems a bit meh at Tier 8, especially when uptiered to 10. a Yammy or Montana so much as looks at you, you're essentially dead. She doesn't have much in the way of Armour or a heal (which she desperately needs IMHO to be competitive in higher tiers). how well you do in her depends on how well you can ambush DDs or hump islands hardcore.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
33 posts
4,337 battles

Because outside of a reduction of HP, removal of the heal, and the radar reduced to the standard 9km, Baltimore is just her tier 9 self at tier 8. Fantastic AA, 27mm of plating, and a 10 second reload with ridiculously good superheavy AP shells.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
31 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

So the Cleve is a mini me Des Moines, has all the toys, radr, hydro, good AA... awesome detection...often uptiered,,, awesome opportunity for extra Xp. help me understand why to play the Balti now? or this Buffaturd in my port? You either protect a US cruiser or you don't, doesn't matter if you play a pepsicola or a des moines… just play the Cleve, and negate both trees from tier 5 through 10.

Uhh I think Balti is the mini Des Moines, not the Clev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,001
[DUDE_]
Members
3,095 posts
13,169 battles
4 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Uhh I think Balti is the mini Des Moines, not the Clev.

sounds legit, what example or examples of the Balti makes you feel that way?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles

lol uhh...Both Balti and Des Moines have three 203mm guns in AB turrets with 27mm of bow armor which can actually bounce a few rounds when used properly. Just because Clev has faster reload than Balti, it doesn't make her more similar to Des Moines. I would love to be in any high tier Cruiser or BB playing against you if you think Clev can go bow on against me like Balti or Des Moines can. @Sweetsie

Edited by k9kid12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,172
Members
4,013 posts
14,864 battles
45 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't view Clevelands as a threat.  Baltimore can be scary.  That's why I'd play a Balto now.

Well, you aint been up against a Cleveland that's being driven by a good player. I had a one on one with a Cleveland earlier tonight while driving Henri IV and he was doing some very respectable damage. The ONLY reason I beat him was Henri having a much higher health pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
5 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Well, you aint been up against a Cleveland that's being driven by a good player. I had a one on one with a Cleveland earlier tonight while driving Henri IV and he was doing some very respectable damage. The ONLY reason I beat him was Henri having a much higher health pool.

Cant Henri's guns overmatch 25mm of armor?

Edited by k9kid12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
223 posts
16,417 battles

Baltimore have 203 AP shells with much higher penetration

If all your doing is spamming HE then sure Cleveland is superior, but that's only half of a ship.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,172
Members
4,013 posts
14,864 battles
2 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Plus her much larger guns that can overmatch everything but it's belt armor.

Henri has fewer guns with a slower rate of fire. I truly believe that had that Cleveland and my Henri been equal on ship health, the Cleveland would've beat me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
5 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Henri has fewer guns with a slower rate of fire. I truly believe that had that Cleveland and my Henri been equal on ship health, the Cleveland would've beat me.

Rush it, focus Clev's turrets with AP, take out it's DMP, force it to show you broadside then kill it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
384
[ARP3]
Members
457 posts
10,959 battles

You can easily kill a broadside BB with a heavy cruiser, it takes 30+ seconds for their guns to turn. You can practically park and pump heavy AP into them and kill them. Rare occurrence but you're not killing a bb with a cleveland like that,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
1 minute ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

For me, the question is why take the Cleveland if you have the Baltimore? 

To research Seattle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
934 posts
6,141 battles
6 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

To research Seattle?

Lol :P

Thats not the pont. If you have both ships, outside of grinding the Cleveland due to it being a requirement for the Seattle, there's really no reason to choose it over the Baltimore.

One of the biggest benefits, outside of the obvious SHSs, is the fact you don't need to spend 4 skill points on IFHE like you do in the cleveland. That can be huge, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,172
Members
4,013 posts
14,864 battles
12 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Rush it, focus Clev's turrets with AP, take out it's DMP, force it to show you broadside then kill it.

Thank you, but I didn't start playing yesterday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
3 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Thats not the pont. If you have both ships, outside of grinding the Cleveland due to it being a requirement for the Seattle, there's really no reason to choose it over the Baltimore. 

I agree with you 100% but then again, that wasn't specified in the question lol. You asked, I answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
Just now, ReddNekk said:

Thank you, but I didn't start playing yesterday...

Well then don't get out played by a Cleveland in a boat that shouldn't get out played by Cleveland or just be humble and don't get sassy.

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,172
Members
4,013 posts
14,864 battles
15 minutes ago, k9kid12 said:

Well then don't get out played by a Cleveland in a boat that shouldn't get out played by Cleveland or just be humble and don't get sassy.

You have SIX Random battles and you're preaching to me?

5b24bedb87861_DDlaugh.gif.9a913b5d518504629408e76d619ce943.gif

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
150 posts
10 battles
3 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

You have SIX Random battles and you're preaching to me?

My point still stands Buttercup. Don't hate on a guy for trying to be "constructive" and help a fellow captain get better.

Edited by k9kid12
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles

Cleveland is not a bad ship, but the problem is high tier. I hate high tier matches with a passion. Unlike mid-tier where people are more likely to push together, at high tier ships are positioned in all kinds of strange directions, everything's so much slower and passive. My advice to any new player of the game: Do your homework and really think it through before going past Tier 7.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×