Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Carrier_Lexington

Mac Wrapper FPS Drops: Any Workarounds

9 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
3,938 posts
4,320 battles

Okay, so I want to preface this by saying I've tried it all. Lower the Graphics. Clean Installs (yes, that's plural). The Studly Utility. Clean Installs with the Studly Utility. Forcing the Wrapper to Update. Making sure my system exceeds the Recommended System Requirements (It does). I also want to preface this with the fact that I know Macs are not the ideal gaming computers. However, a Mac is what I am stuck with, and "just by a Windows" is not an option that is on the table right now.

With all of that in mind, I have been suffering extreme FPS drops lately, since the big Update. My game will freeze completely, dropping to 1 frame every 6 seconds, and then speed up, which looks kinda funny as I careen across the water, except it is unplayable in this state, which is why, as of now, I've deleted the game off of my computer, since having a ~50GB game on my computer that I can't play is pointless.

The other thing is that World of Tanks, a game which is older, less-well-optimized, and just had a massive engine update works perfectly.

I've been playing in Co-Op because I got a 10 game penalty for crashing out of PVP several times (while trying to fix the game, mind you), and even there I get huge FPS drops. And, as always, the Support Center is worthless with Mac, always passing the buck to CodeWeavers, who, in-turn, pass the buck back to Wargaming.

So,  does anyone know any other workarounds for this kind of problem? Whether it is for the Mac Wrapper or it's a game issue, how do I fix it?

Edited by Carrier_Lexington
  • Cool 1

[MWM]
Supertester
1,816 posts
5,625 battles
1 minute ago, Pulicat said:

How to fix: don't use a mac

beat me to it :)

Seriously though im not sure honestly. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

Is using bootcamp to install windows on a separate partition on your mac on the table?  I've got an ancient macbook pro that I have had WoWS installed on both the mac side, and on a windows partition.  The mac install...never worked well.  The Bootcamp install worked OK, even though it's not really up to snuff performance wise.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,938 posts
4,320 battles
6 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Is using bootcamp to install windows on a separate partition on your mac on the table?  I've got an ancient macbook pro that I have had WoWS installed on both the mac side, and on a windows partition.  The mac install...never worked well.  The Bootcamp install worked OK, even though it's not really up to snuff performance wise.

Unfortunately, my Mac doesn't really have enough disk space to effectively partition, unless I were to write-over the entire Mac, which I am not sure I am quite willing to do yet. Especially if I get the same problems as before.

What really frustrates me is that it's not even the big Engine Change in WoWS that broke it. It was something like 2 or 3 patches ago.

Ahh, well. Might as well save my pennies and just not play WoWS for now.

[MWM]
-Members-
293 posts
4,949 battles

I was using my Imac for about a year before it started having problems with WOWS. Bootcamp can fix a good amount of problems but where the MAC is concerned it can also be a hardware problem, depending on what you have in the system and what the drivers are doing that can be a good part of the problem. I ended up just getting a new windows PC and my MAC now just handles my music. One option for a cheap but good functional system is a cyberpower PC. You can build one on their web site or pick one up for around $700 from best buy or the other retailers that carry them.

Members
4,619 posts
7,568 battles

Wrappers are inherently difficult and problematic.  Running Windows is going to be the best bet - by far.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Unfortunately, my Mac doesn't really have enough disk space to effectively partition, unless I were to write-over the entire Mac, which I am not sure I am quite willing to do yet. Especially if I get the same problems as before.

What really frustrates me is that it's not even the big Engine Change in WoWS that broke it. It was something like 2 or 3 patches ago.

Ahh, well. Might as well save my pennies and just not play WoWS for now.

Do you have an external hard drive you can do the install from?  It might be that you're running into some kind of disk thrash.  I don't really think that's the case, but if you have the time to throw at the problem, it might work.  IIRC, there is a low-definition client, have you tried that (maybe only a WoWP thing)?

Perhaps a different wrapper may help.  I've never used this product or done much research on it, but if you want to give it a shot, maybe it will work: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

Edited by crzyhawk

[WOLF6]
Members
365 posts
2,925 battles
15 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

So,  does anyone know any other workarounds for this kind of problem? Whether it is for the Mac Wrapper or it's a game issue, how do I fix it?

As others have mentioned, running Wows in a windows boot-camp partition will give the best results.  It will be just like playing on a hardware equivalent windows notebook.

5 hours ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

You won't have any of your current issues on bootcamp, because running native on windows is completely different than using the wrapper.  The wrapper is basically like a translator for your OS; it converts windows API game calls into MacOS system calls.  This introduces delay and takes processing time, which is why the game runs slower.

2 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Perhaps a different wrapper may help.  I've never used this product or done much research on it, but if you want to give it a shot, maybe it will work: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

The Wows mac wrapper is an application specific version of codeweaver's crossover, which is a fork of Wine.  That link is another Wine fork, but it is possible it may work better.

Sign in to follow this