You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RedSeaBear

Recent Dev Q&A Regarding Rank

20 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
5,214 posts
15,584 battles

Today I listened to the Recent Dev Q&A, it was interesting and insightful. I applaud WG for being willing to answer the questions of its community. I would have liked to hear a response to the frustrating RNG nature of torpedo spreads but maybe they didn't hear the question or didn't have an answer. 

But it was the topic of Rank that had me most interested. You can listen to the two questions they were given here, Time stamped for your convenience. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now One thing I take issue with is that Season 4 of Rank was the most favorable season per the respondents of the Rank Survey. Ranks Season 4 was so frustrating and toxic that I stopped playing it before the game mode and its participants caused me to stop playing WoWs. Their next assertion was this past season, Ranks Season 9, was their second most favorable viewed season by those responding to the Rank Survey.

I didn't have an opportunity to respond to a Rank Survey as I either didn't see one or I was never sent one. But if asked I would say that Season 9 of Rank wasn't a whole lot different from any of the past 5 season I've reached Rank 1. Rank is a long grind that requires a significant dedication of time. You have to deal with Save A Star Farmers, Bad team mates, meta shifts, Team Killers, and a lot of toxic players. While dealing with the realization that your efforts to win the battle can be undone by any one or all your team mates. And a lost puts you two steps back on your journey to Rank 1. 

Let me show you something I've been looking at about Rank. 

Rank Season 7 
16,224,130 Battles Played
311,847 Participants  

Rank Season 8
15,954,358 Battles Played
271,103 Participants

Rank Season 9
14,109,367 Battles Played
237,579 Participants

Between Season 7 and 8
269,772 Less Battles Played
40,744 Less Participants

Between Seasons 8 and 9
1,844,991 Less Battles Played 
33,524 Less Participants

Sources for these numbers can be found on WGs own Rank Wrap posts linked before,

So here is my Question, 

Why are less people playing Rank each Season? 

[POP]
Members
1,637 posts
17,774 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Today I listened to the Recent Dev Q&A, it was interesting and insightful. I applaud WG for being willing to answer the questions of its community. I would have liked to hear a response to the frustrating RNG nature of torpedo spreads but maybe they didn't hear the question or didn't have an answer. 

But it was the topic of Rank that had me most interested. You can listen to the two questions they were given here, Time stamped for your convenience. 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Now One thing I take issue with is that Season 4 of Rank was the most favorable season per the respondents of the Rank Survey. Ranks Season 4 was so frustrating and toxic that I stopped playing it before the game mode and its participants caused me to stop playing WoWs. Their next assertion was this past season, Ranks Season 9, was their second most favorable viewed season by those responding to the Rank Survey.

I didn't have an opportunity to respond to a Rank Survey as I either didn't see one or I was never sent one. But if asked I would say that Season 9 of Rank wasn't a whole lot different from any of the past 5 season I've reached Rank 1. Rank is a long grind that requires a significant dedication of time. You have to deal with Save A Star Farmers, Bad team mates, meta shifts, Team Killers, and a lot of toxic players. While dealing with the realization that your efforts to win the battle can be undone by any one or all your team mates. And a lost puts you two steps back on your journey to Rank 1. 

Rank Season 7 
311,847 Participants  

Rank Season 8
271,103 Participants

Rank Season 9
237,579 Participants

Between Season 7 and 8
40,744 Less Participants

Between Seasons 8 and 9
33,524 Less Participants

Sources for these numbers can be found on WGs own Rank Wrap posts linked before,

So here is my Question, 

Rank sucks  possible :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by tm63au

Members
5,524 posts
6,219 battles

The rewards past rank 10 aren't worth the effort or time investment... or salt harvest. If it were flag packs, like in ranks 23-12, you'd likely see more people playing past R10.

Also, the most recent season likely excluded a large amount of players with R10-2 being T10. I myself don't have a T10 yet(and I'm in no real hurry to get there anyway), so if I'd bothered to push to R10, that would have been my stopping point as I couldn't continue to play.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers
252 posts
14,915 battles

if the rank rewards past r10 were like what they were back in in the earlier rank seasons more ppl might play. I did rank for the $10m credit reward you would get for reaching R1. When i hit R1 the 1st time and got the 10m credits thats how i bought my 1st T10 (gearing). after the rewards began to suck the only reason i kept it up was cause i got the flint and earn the black.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,021 posts
16,254 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Toxicity of the players involved.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,679 posts
8,346 battles

Numbers are going down because people are realizing it isn't worth the grind.  Early on, they had visions of ranking out and getting the rare ranked prize ships.  Now most players realize, that probably isn't going to happen, so why bother, since the rest of the rewards aren't worth the aggravation.  I had a couple of ranked season, where I probably could have ranked out if work/life hadn't gotten in the way.  There were others, including this past ranked season, where I played a bit and then stopped because it was just too much work to have the rug pulled out by random players that just wanted to yolo around.  I can't count how many games were lost where I came in second to a damage farmer that didn't even try to help the team all game.  Most of their damage was farmed near the end of the game when the enemy was focusing on a couple of ships, and our damage farmer was getting free damage that was worthless to the team at that point in the game.  When that behaviour started to happen on a regular basis in the game, I stopped playing.  Pitty, I actually had the time to do a bit of a grind this time around.  I just didn't have the heart for it, so I played more random games instead,.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,113 posts
5,922 battles

i still believe this should be the next ranked season flag,it's a sign that you survived and passed the chemical warfare exam.

it's a hellish  enviroment where only the people brave enough(they escaped the arkham asylum) can survive the  toxic lifestyle.

chemweapon.jpg

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

So here is my Question, 

People are sick of the frustration.

Members
851 posts
10,704 battles

(Sigh) I don't know.  For me?  It's to hard past R10-8.  My stress level I can't take it when I know there's no pitstop post R12 (pre-patch)? 

Also WOWS Ranked STILL does this stupid "Blank Star" method of earning/losing!  For instance: Say I lose a star on the a brand new rank, it doesn't necessarily bring me back to the previous rank, it just "keeps" me at that same rank.  If I lose again, NOW it will bring me to the previous rank.  I find the whole thing very irritating.  If I lose a star on R8, then send me the [edited] back to R7, don't keep me at R8 man!  It feels like I have to earn an extra star.  Very confusing, don't know any game that does that.

Are the rewards worth it?  Hell yeah, [edited] yeah!  Those ships are OP as hell and I want them!!!  I also believe those Pirate Flags still hold meaning in the context of determination.

But the stress level, again, I just can't take.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

My heart isn't in it, I don't care about the strangers on my team.

In every modern military a citizen is not given a gun and pointed to the front lines

. There are training camps and schools to make an ordinary person into an Extraordinary Fighter.

WoWs doesn't have this,and doesn't allow Divisions of "Team Players" in Ranked Battles.

WoWs has a Team Battle Mode for Individuals.

I have said this before make each Rank 5 Stars  the first 4 are Battles with "Strangers" the 5th is a personal mission in a scenario Alone against Bots.

Win the 5th star progress up the ranks... Lose the Personal Mission start the same Rank with zero stars. You never have a regression from Rank earned.

WG makes 10 scenarios for the individual on a RNG wheel the same missions for all players but randomly assigned and random spawns in each.  Even if you play the same scenario it is different each time.

[13TH]
Members
4,869 posts
8,273 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Rank Season 7 
311,847 Participants  

Rank Season 8
271,103 Participants

Rank Season 9
237,579 Participants

Between Season 7 and 8
40,744 Less Participants

Between Seasons 8 and 9
33,524 Less Participants

So here is my Question, 

It’s to much same O same O .. over and over .. than you loose a star over and over, it’s just to much of a grind for me, I do it for the rewards not interested in Rank 1 this season ended at 13 Got to 12 twice even the rewards to 10 could not motivate me, further and no time even if I was motivated 

I’m sure others have similar stories 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

My main frustration is rearward progression for a loss.  I don't mind not gaining stars if I don't do enough.  I despise going backwards.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles

Rank needs people to play even if they can't hope to reach rank 1. Problem is if that people already figure they won't make it they won't try. And most don't. That leaves most people with the lack of desire to even bother. The rewards for playing rank just aren't worth it unless you plan to rank out for the ships. It's too toxic to call fun, its stressful, time consuming and out of reach for most folk including myself. There's so little incentive for the rest of us to "hang in there" and keep rank populated. We also know this game gets no fresh blood really anymore, so the populations will continue to dwindle.

WG needs to rework rank and make it more appealing to get more people interested in playing. Rumor i heard was that they are thinking of doing Tier 7 rank next soon so that's a start. 7 has always been a popular tier and its much less restrictive. That's a start but like i said about ranking out for the ships, if you can't/don't care to there's little reason to hang around in rank play.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
2,734 posts
11,134 battles

Each season I keep thinking the next season will be better (depending on which tier it will be played)

Each time I make this stupid mistake and start having salt when I try to rank up.

Ranked reward are good past T11-10 but, for the level of gameplay and salt you have to go through, no it's definitely not enough. The current ranking system is just bad. Damage is highly rewarded and team focused action are poorly rewarded. A DD will have a difficult time ranking up just by doing what DD are supposed to do, cruiser is fairly easy to rank up if you're good enough and BB can just shred everything and rank up easily. While in random it's possible to get away with it (even if the reward still garbage), it can get extremely frustrating to do everything you can do for your team, lose your game and lose your start because spotting damage and cap don't give enough reward for the DD compared to the cruiser or BB shooting the spotted target.

Also the stars system. Just rework it or remove it. If WG plan to keep the current reward system said above, this is the reason why I and probably other people don't play ranked. A possible rework would be something like this :

-You win ====> +1 star

-You lose but topped the score====>+0 star

-You lose====>  -1 start

Additional star given to :

-The player with the most spotting damage

-The player with the most potential damage

-The player who have the best capping point

[0456]
Members
2,961 posts
8,407 battles

Only reason I went past rank 10 this year was to try out the tier 10 gameplay. It was the first time ranked was even slightly exclusive and I didn't mind that- you couldn't just easy mode into a premium ship "because everyone has a right to play." 

Traditionally rewards past rank 11 are useless (to me) and while modules aren't as bad as when they were first introduced they're nowhere near enough to wade through hip deep salt and 4 ranks of camo.

For all that the gameplay is excruciatingly repetitive- but for all the things I don't like about it I don't have any ideas to make it better other than a stat skill floor and more lucrative incentives- more performance boosting signals and less blasé economy camo. 

Members
1,489 posts
8,707 battles
3 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

My main frustration is rearward progression for a loss.  I don't mind not gaining stars if I don't do enough.  I despise going backwards.

and that is why i think ranked is as salty as it is.  Sure, losing will get some people salty, but having everyone fighting over who keeps their star, and getting angry at those who do really adds to it.  or just knowing you are losing progress, and possibly just wasting a lot of time for nothing/going backwards gets people going.

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Season 7 was tier 6, season 8 tier 8, and season 9 an 8/10 split - in other words, for better or worse, each more restrictive than the last. That alone could explain the drop in participation.  It would be worth looking at older seasons where there was a shift from more to less restrictive to see if that relationship holds true.