You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Proposal to fix passive play: Ships you kill drop "flotsam loot" (only you can see) and must be collected by sailing over them.

49 comments in this topic

[-ARP-]
Members
610 posts
12,973 battles

How do you make people push in? Make kills drop loot. The "flotsam" loot is only visible to the player who made the kill:

Say you kill a cruiser. You have to push in to collect the flotsam reward. People who camp and snipe can't collect the flotsam loot.

For carriers,  make the flotsam have a cool down of 60 seconds, and then you can fly over it and collect the loot.

If your team loses, you get no loot.

It's a simple solution that doesn't require big changes to game code, or any changes to ships. What it changes is player motivation to

push in and be more aggressive.

• Cool 7

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,637 posts
15,132 battles

Free triple strikes, just torp your dead ally's sinking hulk.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SALVO]
Members
21,352 posts
21,595 battles
10 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

How do you make people push in? Make kills drop loot. The "flotsam" loot is only visible to the player who made the kill:

Say you kill a cruiser. You have to push in to collect the flotsam reward. People who camp and snipe can't collect the flotsam loot.

For carriers,  make the flotsam have a cool down of 60 seconds, and then you can fly over it and collect the loot.

It's a simple solution that doesn't require big changes to game code, or any changes to ships. What it changes is player motivation to

So-called passive play doesn't need fixing.  

• Boring 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,141 posts
5,949 battles

give  me a low chance to get their captains as PoW so they give me money to get him back.

now those anime captains are more useful now >:^)

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,842 posts
11,605 battles

This would encourage waiting for a ship to get low on health, passive kill stealing play. It isn't a bad idea but it would need some tweaking such as the player that does the most damage gets a reward and the player that gets the kill gets a different reward.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

Accept I'm not passive, and now I have to push up even farther to collect an additional reward. So players would start suicide runs to collect rewards and hurt the team that's trying to win. 

• Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
804 posts
10,349 battles
31 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Sounds like a terrible idea. Would further incentive people to play for personal gain over he team win.Further, what does "push in" mean as far as placement of the loot. You are depending on the game to put the loot where you feel your team should be going? What if priorities shift during the time it takes the ship to get there. Now there is incentive not to play to win, but to get a personal prize.

Members
619 posts
699 battles

I would really like to know why people have a problem with my Colorado or NorCal fighting from 14-18km away.  I'm not getting burned down or skillwalled just so you can hump shorelines  or hide in smoke at the edge of a cap to rack up a fire damage counter.

Fun little bit of trivia: People that play battleships a lot know better than to think for a moment that we'll ever see more than token support that disappears at first sight of the other team.

Edited by Highlord

[-ARP-]
Members
610 posts
12,973 battles
1 hour ago, Highlord said:

I would really like to know why people have a problem with my Colorado or NorCal fighting from 14-18km away.  I'm not getting burned down or skillwalled just so you can hump shorelines  or hide in smoke at the edge of a cap to rack up a fire damage counter.

Fun little bit of trivia: People that play battleships a lot know better than to think for a moment that we'll ever see more than token support that disappears at first sight of the other team.

It's the people with spotter plane 22+km away, not you at 14km.

• Cool 1

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
411 posts
10,433 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

World of Warship is not a MMORPG.

• Cool 2

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles
1 hour ago, Highlord said:

That's funny, because I see CCs and BBs flee at the first sign of enemy ship, while playing my DD...

Members
2,201 posts
3,953 battles

Eh,  nope.  For one I nail plenty of kills at fifteen km or more and having to sail to were I sunk wouldn't just be an annoyance,  it would also both delay the match and give the enemy an advantage.  Don't get me wrong,  I do everything I can to close in ((Cause I like brawlin')) but when the enemy does not want to comply,  you sorta gotta adjust.

For two I feel like that's more of a punishment for good play.  Yay!  You sunk someone!  Now to get rewards you have to go trawl their corpse while most likely being under fire!  And this gets even worse for squishies.  Like I'm still in potato league but seeing a CA/CL under ten km makes me all sorts of giddy and them having to get in close to get 'rewards' for doing well to begin with...nah.  Whole lotta nah.

I feel like you can't really fix this issue without breaking a whole lotta other things.  And to be honest,  I don't even know that it's an 'issue'.  per se.  Its a difference in play style.  Me,  personally,  along with plenty of others prefer up close and personally.  Lots of other people prefer to play as cautiously as possible and it makes perfect sense.  More dispersion at range,  less chance of being hit,  more hit points for the next fight.  

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,799 battles
2 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

You should play Maelstrom.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/764050/Maelstrom/

[-BMV-]
Members
372 posts
16,009 battles

So, basically this,

naval-ops-warship-gunner-2-bddb4fb6-f4ec-434d-bff9-25fa8212326-resize-750.jpeg.6851f0364ee7f0420cac04b73a879561.jpeg

The idea is interesting, but i fail to see how this will discourage camping. As someone already said, this will encourage stealkilling and personal gain. Now, let's assume WG actually implements this, the loot has to be significant so that a CV, BB, CA/CL or DD to leave their safety/attack plan to actually sail through the map and collect said loot. What do you think other players would say when they see this people leaving flanks open to collect some random reward?. Well, the salt is going to be high, ill tell you that. Now if this mechaninch stays long enough, either WG or the players will start asking for "Special Rewards" on those crates, namely dubloons, rare flags, premium modules, legendary ones?. This will in turn encourage more selfish play and more salt.

No, passive gameplay cannot be changed, because that involves changing those players mindset, and that is imposible unless WG implements some [edited] mechanich that screw us all.

Your idea is not bad, but i fail to see how this will encourage pushing. In turn i see this idea as one that could potentially encourage even more salt and a more toxic community.

Sorry Op.

Edited by Sidelock

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I suggested when a ship sinks the Lifeboats deploy if enemy sails over the life boat it gets capture points if a friendly sails over it they get rescue points. Kinda like the Shchors Captain in Scenarios 60 seconds to get there.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,956 posts
8,694 battles

Another "if you don't drive your ship as I say you should I want WG to punish you" post. When & where to snipe & when & where to push is & should remain the discretion of the person driving the ship.                       

Members
567 posts
80 battles

This reminds me of Elite, that space simulator where you collect space debris by running the cargo scoop under your ship. Nice idea, but I see it leading to suiciding which this game already has too much of as well as fights over kill stealing. Unless the flotsam goes to the one that did the most damage. But the real problem is that it takes the game genre way outside the bounds of loose realism that they make an effort to preserve. Don't know any BBs driving up to and salvaging scraps from blown up ships. 

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles

I think maps need to be made smaller, especially the ones at high tier. Increase the number of islands on existing maps and make new maps with adequate island cover so teams can push into each other while not being fully exposed. Reduce accuracy of all guns at very long ranges, perhaps decrease offensive power (raw damage numbers) by a bit. Also, reduce the size of maps as the battle progresses.

At the 15 minute mark, the map will be 2/3 its original size (66.6%).

At the 10 minute mark, the map will be 1/2 of its original size (49.95%).

At the 5 minute mark, the map will be 1/3 of its original size (33.3%). 

The battle radius would be perhaps 70-75%% of the map's size at that particular point in the battle, and will be equal in all four directions. For example, on a map where the furthest point out in a straight line is 25km, and we're at the 10-minute mark, the furthest distance on can travel from edge to edge in a straight line would be reduced to 12.5km, and the battle radius would be from 8.75-9.4km. This will force teamwork and pushing into each other, because past a certain point in the battle, you have no choice but to fight at close range unless you want to be severely penalized by the system. In the example I've just used, of course it would be a daunting experience even in a BB when one must fight at sub-10km ranges starting from halfway through the match. However, your team mates will also be forced to fight at those ranges, so what is the solution? Stick together and pound everything into oblivion. Cruisers and destroyers will also have a better chance of surviving, because the BBs will be engaging each other at almost point-blank range. As for carriers, I don't know how this system would work because carriers usually stay a lot further back. Perhaps exceptions could be made for carriers, when it comes to the battle radius. If you're a BB and want to snipe..... Too bad. You won't be able to.

Of course, all of the geography (islands and rocks) will remain, allowing for use of cover.

There will be a designated battle radius where all of the bases and caps will be located. Any ship that strays outside the battle radius, which will be proportionate to the map's size at that particular point in the battle, will automatically take heavy DoT damage until they return to the battle zone. The DoT damage will be 5% of the ship's HP per second, meaning if you stray from the battle zone you will automatically be killed by the system in 20 seconds. 

On Standard Battle, the bases will move closer to each other at the 15, 10, and 5 minute mark.

On Domination, the caps will remain the same distance from each other, but will be closer to each other as a result of maps shrinking.

On Epicenter, there's not much to be done because the zones will become smaller as a natural result of the map and the battle radius shrinking.

Any ship that strays out of the battle zone for 3 battles in a row (and is killed as a result of the DoT) will have a colored tag (blue perhaps?) on their username, and they'll be locked out of all PvP modes for 3 battles. Any player that is deliberately AFK for three consecutive battles will be locked out of all PvP modes for six battles. 

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,803 posts
11,503 battles

No. 

If I kill a ship running away thanks to fire and have to "loot" on his corpse located at the edge of the map, I would be even more useless than the target who camped at the back. This idea is just stupid. It would force people who guard a strategic position to leave and gather their reward for actually playing smart.  

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,352 posts
21,595 battles
13 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

Accept Except I'm not passive, and now I have to push up even farther to collect an additional reward. So players would start suicide runs to collect rewards and hurt the team that's trying to win. 

FTFY

[SALVO]
Members
21,352 posts
21,595 battles
9 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I think maps need to be made smaller, especially the ones at high tier. Increase the number of islands on existing maps and make new maps with adequate island cover so teams can push into each other while not being fully exposed. Reduce accuracy of all guns at very long ranges, perhaps decrease offensive power (raw damage numbers) by a bit. Also, reduce the size of maps as the battle progresses.

At the 15 minute mark, the map will be 2/3 its original size (66.6%).

At the 10 minute mark, the map will be 1/2 of its original size (49.95%).

At the 5 minute mark, the map will be 1/3 of its original size (33.3%). 

The battle radius would be perhaps 70-75%% of the map's size at that particular point in the battle, and will be equal in all four directions. For example, on a map where the furthest point out in a straight line is 25km, and we're at the 10-minute mark, the furthest distance on can travel from edge to edge in a straight line would be reduced to 12.5km, and the battle radius would be from 8.75-9.4km. This will force teamwork and pushing into each other, because past a certain point in the battle, you have no choice but to fight at close range unless you want to be severely penalized by the system. In the example I've just used, of course it would be a daunting experience even in a BB when one must fight at sub-10km ranges starting from halfway through the match. However, your team mates will also be forced to fight at those ranges, so what is the solution? Stick together and pound everything into oblivion. Cruisers and destroyers will also have a better chance of surviving, because the BBs will be engaging each other at almost point-blank range. As for carriers, I don't know how this system would work because carriers usually stay a lot further back. Perhaps exceptions could be made for carriers, when it comes to the battle radius. If you're a BB and want to snipe..... Too bad. You won't be able to.

Of course, all of the geography (islands and rocks) will remain, allowing for use of cover.

There will be a designated battle radius where all of the bases and caps will be located. Any ship that strays outside the battle radius, which will be proportionate to the map's size at that particular point in the battle, will automatically take heavy DoT damage until they return to the battle zone. The DoT damage will be 5% of the ship's HP per second, meaning if you stray from the battle zone you will automatically be killed by the system in 20 seconds. 

On Standard Battle, the bases will move closer to each other at the 15, 10, and 5 minute mark.

On Domination, the caps will remain the same distance from each other, but will be closer to each other as a result of maps shrinking.

On Epicenter, there's not much to be done because the zones will become smaller as a natural result of the map and the battle radius shrinking.

Any ship that strays out of the battle zone for 3 battles in a row (and is killed as a result of the DoT) will have a colored tag (blue perhaps?) on their username, and they'll be locked out of all PvP modes for 3 battles. Any player that is deliberately AFK for three consecutive battles will be locked out of all PvP modes for six battles. 

Absolutely NOT!!!!

There's nothing wrong with the size of the maps as they are already.  What we have here is yet another self-righteous twerp trying to force others to play the way HE wants, not the way that the other people prefer to play.  Why don't you just stick to single player games, if you can't accept that other people have different opinions about how to play than you do???

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,352 posts
21,595 battles

10 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Another "if you don't drive your ship as I say you should I want WG to punish you" post. When & where to snipe & when & where to push is & should remain the discretion of the person driving the ship.                       

100%, well, maybe 95% agree.  There's always the fools who camp out at their BBs max gun range, sometimes even beyond using spotters, and uselessly snipe the entire battle.  But those aren't really all that common from my experience.  Most BBs tend to be willing to fight in the mid ranges (whatever constitutes "mid range" for their ship's guns), because most people understand that to be even close to moderately effective, you need to be at ranges where your guns are more accurate.