You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bdean92

Noob looking for clan recommendations

7 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
40 battles

Hey all pretty new to WoWS and Im looking to find a clan that I can build up some skill and be some use too. Not looking for anything crazy serious/ A group I can play with while I have a beer or two. 

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,399 posts
11,134 battles
1 hour ago, bdean92 said:

Hey all pretty new to WoWS and Im looking to find a clan that I can build up some skill and be some use too. Not looking for anything crazy serious/ A group I can play with while I have a beer or two. 

Hey bdean!

TSG4 is recruiting.... and looking for a few good ship captains to join us!  Tactical Strike Group 4 is a veteran founded, veteran owned and veteran operated military-style gaming organization that encompasses and combines various functions, organizational structures and practices from multiple military branches. The TSG4 community is defined as “military-style” because it has a rigid support infrastructure patterned after a military unit with awards & decorations, ranks and duty positions. It has a hard-coded and stable Chain of Command with a dedicated corps of leaders, officers, and NCOs at all levels. More than that, we pride ourselves on teamwork, community and communication... and we espouse an ethos encompassing unity, respect, brotherhood, and family.

IF you are a Military Veteran.... here is a link to a list that shows all of the Current Members of TSG4 who are either Active Military or Veteran Military:  http://www.tsg4.org/hallofheroes

We are an Active organization that is "Casually Competitive" ....and All are welcome... you are not required to have a military background to become a member of TSG4! However, if  you would like to experience the various expertise and the tight camaraderie from military personnel in a military-style organization within a Mil-Sim (Military Simulation Game), then you will fit right in with us!

Our torpedo contest is underway!     Stop by.... visit our site and read through our SOP's!  And remember........

Recruitment poster 1.jpg

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

• Bad 2

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

Hello bdean,

Finding a clan you can enjoy is crazy difficult in WoWS. Why? Because the community has the same type of elitist behavior all too often seen in console shooters, except it's more subtle because PC gamers tend to be a tiny bit more sophisticated.

I'm sure you've already learned to tune out any "competitive" clans. They want at least 500 battles, often 1,000 or more, as well as win record (WR) percentage of 50% to 60%, and at least one Tier X ship. However, it always pays to do your very best in every battle. There may come a time when you accumulated stats will become important, and you'll be sad about all those battles where you did poorly for preventable reasons.

The "casual" and "family" clans are, obviously, where you belong right now. However, there you still face many obstacles. Some have various requirements, and almost all will want to talk and sail with you in battle, to see if you're a "good fit." Invitations with no questions asked can be a bad sign for various reasons. If you do have a "clan interview" or "recruit period," your success usually revolves around how you talk and act, and whether you seem to fit into the social style of the group. In other words, it's up to you to figure out how they act, and see if you can fit in to be "one of the guys." Be prepared for more swearing than you find in a work environment, although occasionally you encounter a clan that has relatively little of it.

TIME ZONE: I hope you're in the US Eastern time zone. Clan leaders, clan trainers, and clan activities are most commonly in that time zone. They schedule things, and themselves play at convenient Eastern times. The more time zones away you are, or the more unconventional your gaming times, the fewer clan members you'll see. A good test is whether any clan LEADERS are in your time zone, and play about the same time you do. Making friends with someone in the clan leadership can really, REALLY help. Sadly, virtually no clans reveal their time zone bias, and most of them will spout the tired line, "Oh, we have players in all time zones." That's about as much weight as a promise from your friendly neighborhood military recruiter.

SOLO-ITIS: People have been conditioned to play WoWS solo. Even when in a clan, if voice channel presence is optional, only a small proportion of the clan will be in voice at any one time. Speaking of that, get the latest client for Teamspeak 3, and the latest version of Discord. Both are free, and almost every clan uses one or the other. A few clans require members to be logged into a voice channel of choice whenever they're playing the game (for example, Nocona's TSG4, above, is one of those). Those clans often encourage players to group up in divisions (of 2 or 3 players), and often members will drop down and play a lower tier ship just to be sociable with the newcomer.

CLIQUES: However, in all clans, you need to make friends in the clan fast, and work hard to keep them. This is because casual/family clans invariably have cliques of old buddies who like to sail with each other. After the honeymoon period, those "old salts" will probably return to their previous habits and friends, leaving you with just those friends you've managed to cultivate (usually among other newcomers). It's not unlike high school, with various groups forming, and age playing a big role.

SHIP TIER: The game changes dramatically depending on what Tier you are playing in. Tiers I-III, IV-V, VI-VII, and VIII-X all have  different tactical situations and play styles. In addition, Captain quality can make a HUGE difference, regardless of tier. At lower tiers, there is at least a chance of people being as inexperienced as you. However, there are also "seal clubbers" who bring thousands of battles of experience and a top-skill captain to a low tier ship, and then go around making mincemeat of people. As you go up in tier, the average skill of the players (and their captains) increases, so you need to constantly improve your game alongside your ship tier.

LEARNING BY BLATHER: There are all sorts of details about gameplay that veteran players know in their sleep - but you'll need to learn. For some strange reason, clans aren't hiring high quality professional teachers away from schools and universities, so the ability of "clan trainers" can be amateurish at best. Many "trainers" enjoy listening to their own voice, and will spout on and on endlessly. It's kind of like the most boring English or history teacher you ever had, squared.

If you tire of this, you can instead go to youtube, where people will also spout endlessly while showing a rerun of some really excellent battle they had. Still, each video will have a few nuggets of info. The most famous youtube presenters include iChase, Flamu, Notser and NoZoup (for some). Beware, however. The game has changed significantly with time. Videos from 2016 or earlier will often show options and abilities that are now very different. Whenever I start a new ship, I'll watch a couple videos about it from one of the people I mentioned, preferably something recent. It's not always helpful, but almost always I take away insights I might have otherwise of learned the hard way (with an appropriate hit to my personal stats).

Overall, good luck and smooth seas! May the enemy have less experience than you, and may your teammates always be tactical geniuses.

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
68 posts
7,219 battles

Hey bdean.

I hate to admit it, but Yasha is right...

Unfortunately WoWs is filled with a lot of clans who are elitist, unicum and not very friendly. They require 10k games, 100%WR and 24 hours 8 days a week playtime. I have noticed that this tends to turn alot of people off joining a clan at all.

However, you should not let this put you off. Good clans (not necessarily good at the game...) are ones that dont have to tell you to turn up, because they make you WANT to turn up. Clans of mature people who wish to help each other improve at the game, wihout taking the enjoyment factor away.

I would like to think that The Art of Warfare [TAW] is one of the later. But don't take my word for it, I would like to invite you to jump onto our TS3 server and have a chat to see if we are a good fit for you!

We don't care about statistics of our players. We have members who have 5k games with 65%WR and every TX ship in the game, to players who have less than 500 games, 40%WR and nothing over tier 5. All we care about is that you are willing to improve your game play experience, but also if you have something to offer, help us as well. Everybody can learn something at some point in their life.

I have sent you a message ingame, and hopefully we can have a chat soon.

Cheers

Billy_The_Dog [TAW]

[AOD_A]
Members
15 posts
1,329 battles

Hey there Bdean. If you are looking for a clan then why don't you check out AOD over at clanaod.net  since we are always looking for more people and you would not just be joining a WoWs clan but a community that has over 3000 members and covers over 17 games. Our only requirements is that you are fairly mature, are willing to use Team Speak as voice communication, and respect the rules we have that have kept the community running since 1999. If you have any questions or are interested please send me a PM over the forums or you can contact me ingame using the name plague125 and if you are interested in joining us just click this link https://www.clanaod.net/forums/forms.php?do=form&fid=65 and this will take you too our application. We would love to have you with us and good luck on the battlefield.

[BLOME]
Members
948 posts
6,698 battles

Hey new player. we are Lone Wolves, the biggest casual clan group in NA server. The best thing is we don't have any recruitment criteria. You can apply and be accepted without any questions asked.

Check my signature link for more details.