You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

Pensacola 4 point Capt Skill

15 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
372 posts
6,078 battles

I do not yet have a 4 point captain skill for my Pensacola, and I have just earned my 4 points.  I see three possibilities that are all beneficial.  What would your recommend?  I see value in:

• Concealment Expert (increase from 47 to 55)
  • IFHE (HE will penetrate much better, but slight reduction of catch to cause fire)
  • Advanced Fire Training (will make a nasty AA ship)

So before I mess up and grab a skill that may not be a great advantage, I therefore resist temptation and ask for your thoughts....

Tks!

[VW]
Members
2,796 posts
15,102 battles

Concealment is always the first skill on all ships at this slot. One could debate german bbs taking aft first...

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

Take concealment.  IF HE does nothing for the 203s, and concealment is life to a cruiser.  AFT might make a good second 4 point skill, but not a first one.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,827 posts
11,574 battles
2 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Take concealment.  IF HE does nothing for the 203s, and concealment is life to a cruiser.  AFT might make a good second 4 point skill, but not a first one.

Concealment isn't much good if you are shooting.

[VW]
Members
2,796 posts
15,102 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Concealment isn't much good if you are shooting.

It is if youre trying to fly a kite. Or trying to disappear. Or trying to stalk your enemy.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,827 posts
11,574 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

It is if youre trying to fly a kite. Or trying to disappear. Or trying to stalk your enemy.

That is true but that 20 seconds seems like forever while you wait it out. I do take it on DD's & cruisers but my BB's are generally speced for anti-fire because of the insane amount of napalm spam. It doesn't make fire a non-worry that some claim but it does let you live longer to cause more damage.

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles

I would advise CE over IFHE because you really don't need IFHE with the Pensacola's 203 mm main guns. CE will enable you to get to where you want to be and spot enemies before you get spotted, hopefully, but even more importantly, it will enable you to disengage and go undetected sooner, which can be a lifesaver IMO.

AFT is a very good 4-point skill to take on the Pensacola, but I would wait and grab it as your second 4-point skill after CE.

[VW]
Members
2,796 posts
15,102 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is true but that 20 seconds seems like forever while you wait it out. I do take it on DD's & cruisers but my BB's are generally speced for anti-fire because of the insane amount of napalm spam. It doesn't make fire a non-worry that some claim but it does let you live longer to cause more damage.

I take it on all ships because even in bbs, if i find myself focus fired by 4 or more and i can withdraw, i do so. Of course if that pesky shimmy follows you, not much you can do. It is used to such an extent that not taking it puts one at a disadvantage imo. Maybe one day they’ll make it like detection, i never ran that and only realized it’s usefulness once they gave it to all.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,827 posts
11,574 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I take it on all ships because even in bbs, if i find myself focus fired by 4 or more and i can withdraw, i do so. Of course if that pesky shimmy follows you, not much you can do. It is used to such an extent that not taking it puts one at a disadvantage imo. Maybe one day they’ll make it like detection, i never ran that and only realized it’s usefulness once they gave it to all.

I used to do the same but the fire spam got to be too much for me but like many things YMMV.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,796 posts
5,298 battles
20 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I'd think it would work on BB's better, specifically because during those 20 seconds, you generally can't shoot.  Cruisers, on the other hand, you will have to hold your fire with loaded rifles for at least five seconds (and in many cases much longer, comparatively) before it kicks in.

Now that I think about it, though, I can only think of one or two ships in my port that I didn't take that as my first 4-point captain skill.  I've got a fairly well-stocked port - more than sixty ships.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

I know there are a few options, but personally I'd say to go for the Concealment Expert, it seems the most useful out of the choices there

[B_O_W]
Members
372 posts
6,078 battles

Does everybody realize the depth of dialog (logic, experience, common sense, etc) on a first v.s. second 4 point captain skill?  Awesome!  Thank you all!