You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DouglasMacAwful

You're the last one left on your team, very low on health. The enemy has 3 caps and are threatening to take the last one. Why do you run and hide?

76 comments in this topic

[-WPG-]
Members
953 posts
3,785 battles

Seriously, all it's doing is dragging out the inevitable.  Do some people think you earn more/lose less by dying?  Why do some people just hide, making  everyone wait for 3 more minutes instead of suiciding for some additional damage?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Human nature I guess. Then again, I am the one in a CV that will fight the enemy alone when my team runs away. That and because CVs can make miracles happen.

Edited by Vangm94

[ARGSY]
Members
7,055 posts
4,803 battles

If I am in a ship that can heal and I have any left, I might go hide for a while to build up my HP for a last stand. If I have a ship mission for a challenge that involves survival but not winning (probably rare, I know, but let's talk hypothetical), I would go hide for as long as possible.

If the points were somehow still in my favour (e.g. we won the caps early and lost them late) and I stood to win a victory on points, I would definitely run away.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
438 posts
13,595 battles

There may be some mission out there to "Do  XXXXXX and survive."  It's also possible that the person might be fishing for a Dreadnaught award.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,182 posts
12,954 battles

My favorite is when someone asks this question in chat, and the person answers that it's to save on repair costs.

• Funny 4
  • Boring 1

Members
2,341 posts
7,191 battles
1 minute ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Seriously, all it's doing is dragging out the inevitable.  Do some people think you earn more/lose less by dying?  Why do some people just hide, making  everyone wait for 3 more minutes instead of suiciding for some additional damage?

I do my best to win in every circumstance. Doesn't matter what the odds are.

I've won games by playing to win until the game is actually lost against people who made stupid mistakes to lose. It happens.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,055 posts
4,803 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

My favorite is when someone asks this question in chat, and the person answers that it's to save on repair costs.

In fairness to them, at least this USED to be the case.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,838 posts

You cannot blame someone for not rolling over. I like to go down all guns blazing myself, but in a certain loss you are under no obligation to make it easy. 

Sometimes survival is a moral victory

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
934 posts
7,642 battles
2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

There may be some mission out there to "Do  XXXXXX and survive."  It's also possible that the person might be fishing for a Dreadnaught award.

That would be a valid reason, or maybe to up the K/D ratio (if stats matter).

Unless it's one of those survive missions, yeah...   I YOLO in to get to the next match.

[CK5]
Members
830 posts
7,013 battles
15 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I'm competitive enough that I will fight to the end if I can and I don't really care about your three minutes.  

• Cool 2

[WDS]
Members
459 posts
7,335 battles
1 minute ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I'm competitive enough that I will fight to the end if I can and I don't really care about your three minutes.  

There not fighting till the end there hiding there is a difference no .

[CUTER]
Members
727 posts
19,695 battles

Does survival impact WTR?  I would rather have the damage and possible cap resets...plus save my team some time waiting.  But to each their own.

Members
198 posts
1,447 battles

If I'm the last one left, I'm probably being hunted via rpf as I'm a dd. So, chances are I'm probably waiting for my torpedos to reload.

• Cool 2

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
6,107 battles

I dont do that.

If you see me doing it its probably because pirates have taken over.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,087 posts
9,627 battles

I will stay alive as long as I can to do the most damage possible.. but I don't run away...its usually a strategic decision, and if the other team all wants to quit.... well do it!

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Outside of challenge/missions requiring you to survive the battle, one reason is to do it out of spite.  You lost the battle, but at least you can piss off the other team by not getting the satisfaction of sinking you.  It's a head game thing.  This is especially true if someone is whining about needing their Kraken.  It's a small victory to not let him have it.  You can argue that it's being an a-hole, but of course the guy needing the Kraken would say that, he is emotionally tied to getting his Kraken.

If there is a way I can net a positive return on xp/credits, I'll do it.  But if the return is too small and it's more satisfying to rob the enemy team of their perceived best outcome, I'll do it.  Especially if you're playing hide and seek with just seconds left on the clock and you're running out of map.  It's thrilling (entertaining, which is the purpose of playing right?) to see if you can make it out of the match alive by the hair of your chin.

Think about it this way, if they succeeded in getting under your skin enough to post about it, it worked.  They got you.

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Members
342 posts
6,407 battles
10 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

This is me when my team is wiped out and i hear "you are the last hope" 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[VW]
Members
2,050 posts
12,878 battles

Ever heard of dreadnought, fireproof, unsinkable? Is there a common requirement among them? That’s why.

nice scoop @RipNuN2

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[-CIV-]
Members
281 posts
2,405 battles
11 minutes ago, RinzlerCobra said:

This is me when my team is wiped out and i hear "you are the last hope" 

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Spoiler

But seriously, best thing I've seen all day. XD

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
5,125 battles

Well, I once heard that the only way to truly be defeated is to give up.  It's simple, as long as you are alive there's still a chance. Maybe on of those red ships out there is a last minute team killer and decides to torp his own team because he's going to win anyway.  Maybe my last torpedo will find the magazine of three different red ships on the same salvo. Who knows, miracles are what happens when you can't possibly prevail but do anyway.  

Besides, I figure if you're going to kill me, I'm going to make you earn it.  

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 2

Members
1,613 posts
10,389 battles

Why? I'll tell you why! 

For the same reason players lemming train to one cap or all camp at one camp until they are surrounded and picked off one at a time. Perhaps for the same reason players sit at the very back of the map sometimes out of range most of the battle so they could swing in later and finish off damaged enemy ships... or perhaps for the reason the entire team doesn't cap the entire battle...

Why?  I don't know. 

• Cool 1