You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Should I Pay For A Respec In Order To Get A 14-Pt Captain For the USN CLs?

5 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
3,198 posts
7,666 battles

So I was reviewing my captains and noticed something interesting.

I currently have a 12 point captain on a completely stock Cleveland (2 points unused) with 5k commander xp into the 13 pts, and a 13 pt captain (1 pt unused) on Baltimore with 87k commander xp into 14 pts. I also have 104k elite captain xp and 500 doubloons.

If I switch commanders between the two ships, respec Baltimore's captain and boost said captain to 14 pts, I am capable of speccing IFHE and CE on Cleveland, while sacrificing very little for Baltimore (a 12-pt captain is hardly different than a 13-pt captain with 1 unused skill point, anyways).

My question is, is it be worth it to spend the 300 doubloons needed to respec Baltimore's captain and the 44.5k elite captain xp to get him up to 14 pts so that I can have both IFHE and concealment? I'm not too worried about retraining the captains, since I have some premium battleships to retrain the Cleveland-turned Baltimore captain and am willing to grind out the retraining period for the Baltimore-turned-Cleveland captain.

Edit: yes, I am technically capable of boosting Cleveland's captain to 14 pts without having to switch captains, but that would involve either a very long grind without IFHE or expending ALL of my elite captain xp and 20% of my free xp reserves (around 130k free xp)

Edit 2: ah heck, I just noticed that Cleveland's current captain has demolition expert instead of superintendent, so I may have to sacrifice one charge of consumables in order to properly retrain him for the USN cruiser line (I don't think it'll hurt much on Baltimore, but it would definitely hurt should I choose to retrain him using a premium battleship)

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,532 posts
3,298 battles

Imo the free respects aren't too uncommon. The doubloons are better spent for free xp or something that isnt given out occasionally for free

[SALVO]
Members
21,031 posts
21,109 battles
16 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

So I was reviewing my captains and noticed something interesting.

I currently have a 12 point captain on a completely stock Cleveland (2 points unused) with 5k commander xp into the 13 pts, and a 13 pt captain (1 pt unused) on Baltimore with 87k commander xp into 14 pts. I also have 104k elite captain xp and 500 doubloons.

If I switch commanders between the two ships, respec Baltimore's captain and boost said captain to 14 pts, I am capable of speccing IFHE and CE on Cleveland, while sacrificing very little for Baltimore (a 12-pt captain is hardly different than a 13-pt captain with 1 unused skill point, anyways).

My question is, is it be worth it to spend the 300 doubloons needed to respec Baltimore's captain and the 44.5k elite captain xp to get him up to 14 pts so that I can have both IFHE and concealment? I'm not too worried about retraining the captains, since I have some premium battleships to retrain the Cleveland-turned Baltimore captain and am willing to grind out the retraining period for the Baltimore-turned-Cleveland captain.

Edit: yes, I am technically capable of boosting Cleveland's captain to 14 pts without having to switch captains, but that would involve either a very long grind without IFHE or expending ALL of my elite captain xp and 20% of my free xp reserves (around 130k free xp)

Edit 2: ah heck, I just noticed that Cleveland's current captain has demolition expert instead of superintendent, so I may have to sacrifice one charge of consumables in order to properly retrain him for the USN cruiser line (I don't think it'll hurt much on Baltimore, but it would definitely hurt should I choose to retrain him using a premium battleship)

Don't be in a rush to do any respeccing yet, Avenge.  There's a respeccing event later this month.

Copied from the June Mission Briefing page:

June 22–26. International Day of the Seafarer

The International Day of the Seafarer is celebrated on June 25. We’ve prepared some attractive discounts for your ship commanders as well as missions for Commander XP and signals.

Discounts:

• –60% to Doubloons on commander skills resetting;
  • –50% to Doubloons on commander retraining;
  • –50% to Doubloons on places in reserve.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
3,198 posts
7,666 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Don't be in a rush to do any respeccing yet, Avenge.  There's a respeccing event later this month.

Copied from the June Mission Briefing page:

Oh jeez, I completely forgot about that.

Thanks for saving me 300 doubloons! +1 to you

Members
69 posts
5,377 battles

I am in the same situation with my Cleveland captain.  I had 11 pts.  I chose to take CE first and am working towards IFHE.  I prioritized going dark over doing damage.  The USN CLs will need both skills, CE and IFHE  to really work well.