Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BoldSavage

French BB dispersion is WORSE than the German line

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
3,774 posts
8,497 battles

 So as experiencing the French BBs although they are fun to play.  The downside I'm seeing is their accuracy.  If they are meant for close in battles why have their range as far out as they do.  The dispersion of the long ranged shots is so horrible you are lucky if you even have one shell hit the target you are aiming at.  I went through the entire German Battleship line.  Their dispersion is bad but I'm sorry Wargaming the French battleship dispersion is just well yea PLEASE fix it.  How am I supposed to hit something at even 18 KM and having that bad of dispersion it's worse than the German line.   I'm asking you Wargaming please fix this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,175 posts
3,153 battles

Which ships are you talking about? From what I've seen (I haven't tried them), the Richelieu, Alsace and Republique seem to have good accuracy. 

Edited by CarbonButtprint
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
308
[SUCIT]
Members
918 posts
3,863 battles
7 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

 So as experiencing the French BBs although they are fun to play.  The downside I'm seeing is their accuracy.  If they are meant for close in battles why have their range as far out as they do.  The dispersion of the long ranged shots is so horrible you are lucky if you even have one shell hit the target you are aiming at.  I went through the entire German Battleship line.  Their dispersion is bad but I'm sorry Wargaming the French battleship dispersion is just well yea PLEASE fix it.  How am I supposed to hit something at even 18 KM and having that bad of dispersion it's worse than the German line.   I'm asking you Wargaming please fix this.

I'm fairly sure that the Republique has 2.0 sigma along with a fairly decent raw dispersion value.  I just got mine and have only played a handful of battles in it, but I'm having absolutely no issues hitting anything at any ranges.  Hell I triple citadeled a Montana yesterday at around 22km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,497 battles
Just now, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

I'm fairly sure that the Republique has 2.0 sigma along with a fairly decent raw dispersion value.  I just got mine and have only played a handful of battles in it, but I'm having absolutely no issues hitting anything at any ranges.  Hell I triple citadeled a Montana yesterday at around 22km.

The Richelieu's is just horrible at 18 km.  I know I'm aiming correctly lol.  I'm not going to argue against that.  The shell dispersion once the shells get to the target well yea it looks more like a dag gum shot gun blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
308
[SUCIT]
Members
918 posts
3,863 battles
3 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

The Richelieu's is just horrible at 18 km.  I know I'm aiming correctly lol.  I'm not going to argue against that.  The shell dispersion once the shells get to the target well yea it looks more like a dag gum shot gun blast.

The Richelieu shares a 1.8 Sigma and almost identical raw dispersion values to the Bismarck.  The major difference is in min. dispersion, where the Richelieu takes a massive lead.  If you're having issues with the ship, the only thing I could suggest would be to aim different.  Aim for more center mass than at the waterline.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,497 battles
1 minute ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

The Richelieu shares a 1.8 Sigma and almost identical raw dispersion values to the Bismarck.  The major difference is in min. dispersion, where the Richelieu takes a massive lead.  If you're having issues with the ship, the only thing I could suggest would be to aim different.  Aim for more center mass than at the waterline.

I tried aiming ahead as normal that didn't work.  I have tried aiming center mass and well yea thats where it gets me with the sigma of the ship.  How ever say if I'm less than 15KM out from a red player yea I hit no problem.  I mean long shots aren't really a problem for me with most ships except the French ones.  Its just an annoyance at this point lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Richelieu is best for shooting at broadside ships. Not like she can't shoot bow forwards ships... it's just harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,497 battles

I mean I do like the ship don't get me wrong.  I cant complain about a BB that can do 34 knots.  The only thing I hate like I said is shot dispersion.  Up close it's actually a really fun ship to play and at close range it is a great bow tanker.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
770
[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles

richelieu is fine,8 forward guns and a great speed,it's dunkerque that need some help,8 guns at tier6 is a little lackluster,her caliber is minimal.

lyon need some wonky dispersion because 16 guns is no joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
Just now, SuperSpud1 said:

I mean I do like the ship don't get me wrong.  I cant complain about a BB that can do 34 knots.  The only thing I hate like I said is shot dispersion.  Up close it's actually a really fun ship to play and at close range it is a great bow tanker.

The feel of her guns are what really gets me. I can generally ignore dispersion and sigma related mechanics because I try not to look to deep into it. I either will or will not hit the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
4 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

richelieu is fine,8 forward guns and a great speed,it's dunkerque that need some help,8 guns at tier6 is a little lackluster,her caliber is minimal.

lyon need some wonky dispersion because 16 guns is no joke.

I was wrong, ignore me. The 340s are Cruiser killers.

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,368
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,026 posts
10,703 battles
11 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Dunkerque, Normandie, and Lyon should all have the same gun. The real difference is that Dunkerque's guns are significantly weaker than the other two. Something like 6000 AP on Dunkerque vs 10000 AP on Lyon. Correct me if I am wrong.

Dunkerque has 330mm/52 guns. Modern weapons from the '30's.

The others have the 340mm/45. Old guns from 1912 which WG has somehow megabuffed to make work.

 

Dunkerque fires smaller shells but at higher velocity and has better penetration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,125 posts
9,701 battles

I don't find the French as bad as the Germans... usually have little problem getting hits at range...depends on what your expectations are?  I mean you want to land all your shells at range?  Not going to happen with any BB.  I hope for 1-2 hits at range and an angled Pen to get that very cool citadel when your like 20k out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
4 minutes ago, mofton said:

Dunkerque has 330mm/52 guns. Modern weapons from the '30's.

The others have the 340mm/45. Old guns from 1912 which WG has somehow megabuffed to make work.

 

Dunkerque fires smaller shells but at higher velocity and has better penetration.

Something like that, I was pretty sure they had the same guns but I guess I was wrong. Fun fact, don't use a 330mm French gun against over 330mm armor of a British Battleship. I tried, I could not pen it within .5 km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,539
[HINON]
Members
9,354 posts
30 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's not a sniper......

 

I thought that was Tirpitz . . . 

5ZbuF8V.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
356
[ASHIP]
Members
610 posts
5,546 battles

I had a game a yesterday in which I was in an Alsace and a broadside DM sails out in front of me at 7.8km. He does not see me, continues sailing straight ahead, I aim perfectly and EVERY SINGLE SHELL MISSES. I mean, look at this:
WhyIHATEtheAlsace5.thumb.png.c681c2b5c0568ab99738a1bca61bd9f5.png

I even pushed into the center of the map to get this shot. What's worse is that in addition to horrible accuracy, the Alsace has a tendency not to do damage even when you do hit. This thing gets so many overpens and shatters it's not even funny. Typically, only 30%-25% of my hits are full penetration, and of those, lots mysteriously don't do any damage. Just today I had a salvo against a GK, in which I scored 3 pens, 1 overpen and a shatter, but for some reason I only did 1k damage. Cuz' why not. Geez I hate the Alsace.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
316
[WOLF4]
Members
403 posts
5,445 battles

I’ve never had accuracy issues with any of the French battleships except for the low tier ones, for me both the richleau and Alsace have had decent accuracy, with only a few troll shots every now and then. Idk, guess I’m just lucky. I really like both ships, the guns can be inconsistent but it’s still far better than anything German 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,613 posts
10,416 battles

All I know is that the Lyon is one of if not my favorite ships. I don't know about it's dispersion. What I do know is that when I fire those 16 guns, at least a half dozen land on their mark. 

This ship in the right hands can outperform many tier 8 BBs. In my opinion ( I play lots of RN BBs) the Lyon can set as many fires as any tier 7-9 RN BB. The shear number of shells gives you a very good chance at setting tier 9 BBs aflame on a regular bases. I also manage to destroy DDs with these guns so I cannot agree with your assessment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
316
[WOLF4]
Members
403 posts
5,445 battles

Also make sure you use the dispersion mod even if your a full secondary build, it helps a lot and really does increase accuracy/consistency 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
461 posts
5,996 battles

The French BB's (at least the Tier 8, and 9) do have worse dispersion than the German BB's at range.  This is due to the vertical dispersion (i.e. over and under shots of the target where shells impact either closer or farther away). 

Imagine a rubber band that is circular impacting a surface at an angle and projected along the surface.  The Nations approached shells differently:

Slow, Heavy Shells (i.e. USN 16" SHS):  Due to their slow initial velocity, they have a high arc and take a long time to reach the target.  Due to their weight, they minimize the bleeding of speed due to drag and can have good penetration at range.  As a result of their high arc, they impact the water at a high angle of impact that will minimize the stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is the closest to circular and leads to fewer overs and unders than the other types.  This can lead to a perception of higher accuracy at range.

Fast, Light Shells (i.e. Tirpitz, Bismarck):  Due to their light weight, they bleed the most speed over range and will have an impact angle that is flatter than above.  Due to their light weight with high initial speed, they have a flatter arc with penetration superior to slower shells at close range, but their penetration is lacking at range.  As a result of their arc, they impact the water at less of an angle than Slow, Heavy shells and will have more stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is more elliptical and has more overs and unders than the Slow, Heavy shells.

Fast, Heavy Shells (i.e. Roma, French BB's):   Due to their heavy weight, they minimize the bleeding of speed over range.  Due to their high initial speed and heavy weight, they have the flattest arcs of all with superior penetration at all ranges.  As a result of their arc, they impact the water at the shallowest angle and have the highest stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is the most elliptical of all types and has the highest number of overs and unders.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
27 minutes ago, DanielLeary said:

The French BB's (at least the Tier 8, and 9) do have worse dispersion than the German BB's at range.  This is due to the vertical dispersion (i.e. over and under shots of the target where shells impact either closer or farther away). 

Imagine a rubber band that is circular impacting a surface at an angle and projected along the surface.  The Nations approached shells differently:

Slow, Heavy Shells (i.e. USN 16" SHS):  Due to their slow initial velocity, they have a high arc and take a long time to reach the target.  Due to their weight, they minimize the bleeding of speed due to drag and can have good penetration at range.  As a result of their high arc, they impact the water at a high angle of impact that will minimize the stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is the closest to circular and leads to fewer overs and unders than the other types.  This can lead to a perception of higher accuracy at range.

Fast, Light Shells (i.e. Tirpitz, Bismarck):  Due to their light weight, they bleed the most speed over range and will have an impact angle that is flatter than above.  Due to their light weight with high initial speed, they have a flatter arc with penetration superior to slower shells at close range, but their penetration is lacking at range.  As a result of their arc, they impact the water at less of an angle than Slow, Heavy shells and will have more stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is more elliptical and has more overs and unders than the Slow, Heavy shells.

Fast, Heavy Shells (i.e. Roma, French BB's):   Due to their heavy weight, they minimize the bleeding of speed over range.  Due to their high initial speed and heavy weight, they have the flattest arcs of all with superior penetration at all ranges.  As a result of their arc, they impact the water at the shallowest angle and have the highest stretching of the dispersion circle.  The final dispersion ellipse is the most elliptical of all types and has the highest number of overs and unders.

French Tier VI+ BB guns just feel good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, SuperSpud1 said:

 So as experiencing the French BBs although they are fun to play.  The downside I'm seeing is their accuracy.  If they are meant for close in battles why have their range as far out as they do.  The dispersion of the long ranged shots is so horrible you are lucky if you even have one shell hit the target you are aiming at.  I went through the entire German Battleship line.  Their dispersion is bad but I'm sorry Wargaming the French battleship dispersion is just well yea PLEASE fix it.  How am I supposed to hit something at even 18 KM and having that bad of dispersion it's worse than the German line.   I'm asking you Wargaming please fix this.

Your guns are possessed by this guy...

GV54n4T.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×