Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Taking play to the next level - unicum advice sought out!

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles

First: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1015359222,enderland07/? and https://na.warships.today/player/1015359222/enderland07 (if warships.today ever is revived)

I've been focusing on improving my play over the course of this calendar year and have improved fairly significantly. My winrate during most of this year has been around 60%, both divisioned/non-divisioned. And about 0 games with CV divisions :)

I am hoping some of the folks who have sustained even higher WRs can offer some guidance on how to take their play to that next level. I kind of feel like I'm hitting a plateau where if I don't do something differently, my WR will stagnate. But I know there are many who sustain higher than 60% solo and divisioned WRs so it's definitely possible.

The main thing I can think of is more consistency in my shooting as it feels like that's an area which can always be improved.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

First: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1015359222,enderland07/? and https://na.warships.today/player/1015359222/enderland07 (if warships.today ever is revived)

I've been focusing on improving my play over the course of this calendar year and have improved fairly significantly. My winrate during most of this year has been around 60%, both divisioned/non-divisioned. And about 0 games with CV divisions :)

I am hoping some of the folks who have sustained even higher WRs can offer some guidance on how to take their play to that next level. I kind of feel like I'm hitting a plateau where if I don't do something differently, my WR will stagnate. But I know there are many who sustain higher than 60% solo and divisioned WRs so it's definitely possible.

The main thing I can think of is more consistency in my shooting as it feels like that's an area which can always be improved.

Get into a clan that has a lot of unicum players and play with them. I have been trying to get into a clan with a ton of unicum players so I have been divisioning with them. I have learned so much in a short time. Positioning, tempering my natural aggressiveness into a more patient style. In the last three weeks I have a 71.53% win rate a personal rating of 2028. In the last 7 days my personal stats are even better. Pretty much every unicum player I have encountered are really nice people and are willing to help lesser players like myself improve their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[PSV]
Members
332 posts
8,446 battles

Playing some competitive games (clan battle/King of the seas) would help, with a willingness to take constructive feedback of your game play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,695
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,833 posts
15,380 battles

I don't have experience advice, as I'm a 55% player.  But I'll let you know what I'd do if I wanted to bump my WR.  STUDY the maps.  You might already do this.  I haven't studied them.  I mean REALLY study them.  Sure, I've played them many times and have a feel for being in the right place.   But I've never sat down and really looked at the critical places...places to be...fire angles..etc.  That is the next level for me.  Personally, I like flying by the seat of my pants...that's the fun part....with a bit of map experience to help.  But if I ever feel the need to go to the next level...it would be map knowledge.

A for [RUST], I've seen that clan tag enough to respect it when I see it.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[AP]
Members
1,232 posts
13,816 battles

from what im seeing (today 131day/numbers 21day), average damage and average kills both can still be improved by a fair bit

that would naturally result in more matches turned around and more games won(provided you improve your dmg/kill not through the mean of switching target from DD to BB)

Edited by jason199506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
631 posts
5,870 battles

I'm a little in the same boat as Soshi in terms of win rate. One piece of advice though that I agree with is learning the maps, but another is, (if it was running) Ranked is a great way to learn quickly from your mistakes. Once you get into higher ranks, you get punish for bad mistakes and you learn very quickly to not make them again. Another trait of a good player is knowing when to curb aggressiveness as a player. Sometimes, usually in the early match it is better to play passive, where as sometimes it is better to be more aggressive mid to end match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

from what im seeing (today 131day/numbers 21day), average damage and average kills both can still be improved by a fair bit

that would naturally result in more matches turned around and more games won(provided you improve your dmg/kill not through the mean of switching target from DD to BB)

I've wondered if this is happening because my accuracy isn't "as good" as it would need to be in order to achieve that sort of damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156
[-BRS-]
Members
469 posts
9,423 battles

My biggest learning has been learning appropriate levels of ship preservation v aggressiveness.  You’re no good to yourself, your team, or your stats if you’re dead.  No you don’t need to hang the back and do nothing - that’s where the “appropriate” word comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
567 posts
80 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Get into a clan that has a lot of unicum players and play with them. I have been trying to get into a clan with a ton of unicum players so I have been divisioning with them. I have learned so much in a short time. Positioning, tempering my natural aggressiveness into a more patient style. In the last three weeks I have a 71.53% win rate a personal rating of 2028. In the last 7 days my personal stats are even better. Pretty much every unicum player I have encountered are really nice people and are willing to help lesser players like myself improve their game.

Bellthorian nailed it.  If you want to be among the best, you have to run with the best.

Outside of that sound advice, never be afraid to post replays so we can visually see decisions you're making and offer valuable advice.  Stats are there to identify glaring weaknesses, but when you're already performing well, it's harder to just look at the stats and conclude things like, "You're playing too aggressively, dial it back."

EDIT:  On a side note, you can see why you're a unicum player.  Your attitude is about recognizing you have more to learn, learning never stops and you are proactively seeking ways to take personal ownership of that improvement.  A glaring and stark contrast from the sub 50% players on this forum who whine and blame external forces.  Maintain that positive, healthy mindset and you will continue to improve over time.

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Get into a clan that has a lot of unicum players and play with them. I have been trying to get into a clan with a ton of unicum players so I have been divisioning with them. I have learned so much in a short time. Positioning, tempering my natural aggressiveness into a more patient style. In the last three weeks I have a 71.53% win rate a personal rating of 2028. In the last 7 days my personal stats are even better. Pretty much every unicum player I have encountered are really nice people and are willing to help lesser players like myself improve their game.

Speaking on that what are you doing this weekend? I should be on Saturday and Sunday hit me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

I mostly play Ryujo and I prefer to support in my DDs. I do most of these things in every match I am in. Do I win? No because some players won't take the information given to them. If you take my information properly, your games can become easier to win. In other words, make use of the info given to you based on your allies and hopefully you, your division, or you allies will compensate for that.

  • Ryujo
    • My Dive Bombers are your eyes, make use of your minimap to find either where the enemy currently are or where they were
    • If you want help, I will reply on why or why not or if I am busy
  • IJN Destroyers
    • I will get close to a cap but I won't take it til I believe it is clear
    • I am your decoy, if I shoot and they all fire on me they are lit up for you
    • I will provide you with a smoke wall for cover (don't stop moving...)

 

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

I mostly play Ryujo and I prefer to support in my DDs. I do most of these things in every match I am in. Do I win? No because some players won't take the information given to them. If you take my information properly, your games can become easier to win.

  • Ryujo
    • My Dive Bombers are your eyes, make use of your minimap to find either where the enemy currently are or where they were
    • If you want help, I will reply on why or why not or if I am busy
  • IJN Destroyers
    • I will get close to a cap but I won't take it til I believe it is clear
    • I am your decoy, if I shoot and they all fire on me they are lit up for you
    • I will provide you with a smoke wall for cover (don't stop moving...)

 

It's cool you like to seal club but I guess I'm not really looking at "pick a really powerful lower tier boat and play it a bunch" as an option here.

If I wanted that, I'd play hundreds of games with Halsey in my Clemson now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
45 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

It's cool you like to seal club but I guess I'm not really looking at "pick a really powerful lower tier boat and play it a bunch" as an option here.

If I wanted that, I'd play hundreds of games with Halsey in my Clemson now.

Who says I seal clubbed? I prefer to fight in Tier VIII with Ryujo because I like the challenge and I have learned how to play Ryujo to the best of her ability. I play Fubuki and up because I learned them. I don't like low tier battles because they do not fit my tactics. If I seal club then I do, if I get seal clubbed then it means I was not up to the challenge. I listed the things I do to support my team so that we win not because I want to seal club.

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Who says I seal clubbed? I prefer to fight in Tier VIII with Ryujo because I like the challenge and I have learned how to play Ryujo to the best of her ability. I play Fubuki and up because I learned them. I don't like low tier battles because they do not fit my tactics. If I seal club then I do, if I get seal clubbed then it means I was not up to the challenge. I listed the things I do to support my team so that we win not because I want to seal club.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't feel like your perspective on playing the Ryujo a ton is a good answer to what I'm asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't feel like your perspective on playing the Ryujo a ton is a good answer to what I'm asking.

Don't know why you are bringing Ryujo into this. I found that my main role is support,  if you want to go into battle blind, that is up to you. Scouting with my Dive Bombers is best. Otherwise I will scout, and intentionally get my IJN DDs spotted in order to coarse the enemy into revealing themselves. Once they get themselves lit up, you are open to fire at them. If you are fighting a enemy force alone, I will pop my smoke and give you cover. I will torpedo them, I will shoot at them to distract them from you. But I guess my "sealclubbers" are too low of a tier for you to take me seriously. :Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[NAB]
Members
423 posts
9,651 battles
3 hours ago, NCC81701 said:

Play lots and lots of games in the Cesare. ;)

ain't that the truth!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles
3 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Don't know why you are bringing Ryujo into this. I found that my main role is support,  if you want to go into battle blind, that is up to you. Scouting with my Dive Bombers is best. Otherwise I will scout, and intentionally get my IJN DDs spotted in order to coarse the enemy into revealing themselves. Once they get themselves lit up, you are open to fire at them. If you are fighting a enemy force alone, I will pop my smoke and give you cover. I will torpedo them, I will shoot at them to distract them from you. But I guess my "sealclubbers" are too low of a tier for you to take me seriously. :Smile_facepalm:

 

1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

I mostly play Ryujo and I prefer to support in my DDs. I do most of these things in every match I am in. Do I win? No because some players won't take the information given to them. If you take my information properly, your games can become easier to win. In other words, make use of the info given to you based on your allies and hopefully you, your division, or you allies will compensate for that.

  • Ryujo
    • My Dive Bombers are your eyes, make use of your minimap to find either where the enemy currently are or where they were
    • If you want help, I will reply on why or why not or if I am busy
  • IJN Destroyers
    • I will get close to a cap but I won't take it til I believe it is clear
    • I am your decoy, if I shoot and they all fire on me they are lit up for you
    • I will provide you with a smoke wall for cover (don't stop moving...)

 

My original questions:

 

5 hours ago, enderland07 said:

First: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1015359222,enderland07/? and https://na.warships.today/player/1015359222/enderland07 (if warships.today ever is revived)

I've been focusing on improving my play over the course of this calendar year and have improved fairly significantly. My winrate during most of this year has been around 60%, both divisioned/non-divisioned. And about 0 games with CV divisions :)

I am hoping some of the folks who have sustained even higher WRs can offer some guidance on how to take their play to that next level. I kind of feel like I'm hitting a plateau where if I don't do something differently, my WR will stagnate. But I know there are many who sustain higher than 60% solo and divisioned WRs so it's definitely possible.

The main thing I can think of is more consistency in my shooting as it feels like that's an area which can always be improved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

Don't know why you are bringing Ryujo into this. I found that my main role is support,  if you want to go into battle blind, that is up to you. Scouting with my Dive Bombers is best. Otherwise I will scout, and intentionally get my IJN DDs spotted in order to coarse the enemy into revealing themselves. Once they get themselves lit up, you are open to fire at them. If you are fighting a enemy force alone, I will pop my smoke and give you cover. I will torpedo them, I will shoot at them to distract them from you. But I guess my "sealclubbers" are too low of a tier for you to take me seriously. :Smile_facepalm:

 

2 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I mostly play Ryujo and I prefer to support in my DDs. I do most of these things in every match I am in. Do I win? No because some players won't take the information given to them. If you take my information properly, your games can become easier to win. In other words, make use of the info given to you based on your allies and hopefully you, your division, or you allies will compensate for that.

  • Ryujo
    • My Dive Bombers are your eyes, make use of your minimap to find either where the enemy currently are or where they were
    • If you want help, I will reply on why or why not or if I am busy
  • IJN Destroyers
    • I will get close to a cap but I won't take it til I believe it is clear
    • I am your decoy, if I shoot and they all fire on me they are lit up for you
    • I will provide you with a smoke wall for cover (don't stop moving...)

 

4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I am hoping some of the folks who have sustained even higher WRs can offer some guidance on how to take their play to that next level. I kind of feel like I'm hitting a plateau where if I don't do something differently, my WR will stagnate. But I know there are many who sustain higher than 60% solo and divisioned WRs so it's definitely possible.

The main thing I can think of is more consistency in my shooting as it feels like that's an area which can always be improved.

 

2 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Bellthorian nailed it.  If you want to be among the best, you have to run with the best.

Outside of that sound advice, never be afraid to post replays so we can visually see decisions you're making and offer valuable advice.  Stats are there to identify glaring weaknesses, but when you're already performing well, it's harder to just look at the stats and conclude things like, "You're playing too aggressively, dial it back."

EDIT:  On a side note, you can see why you're a unicum player.  Your attitude is about recognizing you have more to learn, learning never stops and you are proactively seeking ways to take personal ownership of that improvement.  A glaring and stark contrast from the sub 50% players on this forum who whine and blame external forces.  Maintain that positive, healthy mindset and you will continue to improve over time.

 

4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I don't have experience advice, as I'm a 55% player.  But I'll let you know what I'd do if I wanted to bump my WR.  STUDY the maps.  You might already do this.  I haven't studied them.  I mean REALLY study them.  Sure, I've played them many times and have a feel for being in the right place.   But I've never sat down and really looked at the critical places...places to be...fire angles..etc.  That is the next level for me.  Personally, I like flying by the seat of my pants...that's the fun part....with a bit of map experience to help.  But if I ever feel the need to go to the next level...it would be map knowledge.

Like others have said, you need information (scouting), division with other good players (support) in order to win which is no different from what I am saying. Unfortunately while you recognize the need to get better, you don't recognize the need to listen and take in what I am saying because I apparently I only "seal club".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,260
[NGAGE]
Members
3,534 posts
8,580 battles

 

2 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Bellthorian nailed it.  If you want to be among the best, you have to run with the best.

Outside of that sound advice, never be afraid to post replays so we can visually see decisions you're making and offer valuable advice.  Stats are there to identify glaring weaknesses, but when you're already performing well, it's harder to just look at the stats and conclude things like, "You're playing too aggressively, dial it back."

EDIT:  On a side note, you can see why you're a unicum player.  Your attitude is about recognizing you have more to learn, learning never stops and you are proactively seeking ways to take personal ownership of that improvement.  A glaring and stark contrast from the sub 50% players on this forum who whine and blame external forces.  Maintain that positive, healthy mindset and you will continue to improve over time.

This is a good point - I should either watch some replays from frustrating games and/or post them here for feedback.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Speaking on that what are you doing this weekend? I should be on Saturday and Sunday hit me up.

lol What am I doing this weekend, I will be in World Of Warships experiencing what is best in life. Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women.

 

Sure thing boss, I will look you up. I like playing games games with my forums brethren. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[KRAB]
Members
828 posts
7,283 battles

I would suggest grinding the UK CL line - I learned a lot about cruiser play going up that tree. I have always found that the more diverse your ship lineup, the better you become. You seem to do best in the "tankier" ships (BBs, German CAs) apart from your DDs - maybe CL experience will help. 

Also, is the Kutuzov really that good? (More than 50% better than your Chapayev stats). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
178
[BSL]
Members
991 posts
16,359 battles
3 hours ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Bellthorian nailed it.  If you want to be among the best, you have to run with the best.

Outside of that sound advice, never be afraid to post replays so we can visually see decisions you're making and offer valuable advice.  Stats are there to identify glaring weaknesses, but when you're already performing well, it's harder to just look at the stats and conclude things like, "You're playing too aggressively, dial it back."

EDIT:  On a side note, you can see why you're a unicum player.  Your attitude is about recognizing you have more to learn, learning never stops and you are proactively seeking ways to take personal ownership of that improvement.  A glaring and stark contrast from the sub 50% players on this forum who whine and blame external forces.  Maintain that positive, healthy mindset and you will continue to improve over time.

75 battles...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×