Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Raptor woes

10 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,323 posts
5,043 battles

I only had 2 wins today in Raptor rescue. The number of BB's, & DD's on the teams was way up. Of course the number of cruisers was way down. The only 2 operations we won was when we had 4 or more cruisers. While I will run my Normandie from time to time, I play a cruisers 85% of the time in Raptor Rescue. It is nice to have the fire power of a BB or 2 but it seems the slow reload time of BB's & the short range  and low damage of DD's guns, along with it seems knows when you launch torpedoes make it more difficult to complete the mission. Is this a correct assumption?

[RLGN]
Members
8,689 posts
17,952 battles

Last time up, most of my wins were in Normandie, and Molotov, (of all things...)

My biggest gripe is cruisers not killing the destroyers, and they wind up swamping Raptor.

[TDRB]
Members
1,323 posts
5,043 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Last time up, most of my wins were in Normandie, and Molotov, (of all things...)

My biggest gripe is cruisers not killing the destroyers, and they wind up swamping Raptor.

Because of its speed the Normandie, IMO, is the best BB for this scenario but still I find no more than 2 BB's works better. Now that the Cleveland is T8 I'm using my Molotov & De Grasse. The 203mm guns of the Pensacola are nice but like the BB's its slow reload time is a huge disadvantage in this scenario. I see more Numberg's than Leander's but I haven't reached T6 on the British cruiser line and sold my Numberg. Now I wished I hadn't.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
875 posts
63 battles

I'd just like to see people move away from the repair circle area a little bit. I dip in when I need to however it seems like most of the team lives in the green zone giving up any ability to turn away ships from Raptor.

Members
3,709 posts
6,418 battles

I 5 starred it while back and I remember nothing about it but I have played it as couple times now and it is rough.  No one wants to go after the first CV so everyone just sits waiting.  Most of the time the first DDs do not get killed soon enough so a torp hit is inevitable for me leaving me half down.  Can't get healed if I need to go after the CV.  The one time I was barely down on health so I went after the CV.  Announced my intentions and that I needed at least a DD to help.  A DD 'helped' me a bit to late and I got focused by the CV support ships and never got the CV spotted.

I don't have a lot of choices in ships - so Pensi is the only cruiser I can use and the Bayern/Normandie are the only 2 BBs I have.  Not sure my Bayern has a captain currently.  Probably going to stop trying to play it.

Members
337 posts
3,605 battles

I feel the pain. Had a game with 2 DDs, a CV, and BB, the rest cruisers.  I know the Aoba died in the first attack to the guns of the enemy not their torps, then the 2 DDs were gone in the next wave.  I don't remember ever seeing a friendly plane in the air, but the carrier shot down some planes, so he was probably busy doing things I didn't notice.  The 3 Nbergs tried to carry, without success, not enough ships left by that point.  The slow NM didn't try to keep up, so was a non factor until the Raptor lost its engines late in the battle and stoped behind the island to repair.  So a loss with about 129,000 damage (and the other Nbergs were not far behind).  

I had tried my Pensacola earlier, but it doesn't feel particularly strong in this operation, will probably stay with the Leander, Nberg, and La Glass in the future because of the faster rates of fire they offer.  The Leander and Nberg are good in close to deal with the DDs, while the Nberg and La Glass are good for hunting the 1st carrier with the range on their guns, where the speed boost for the La Glass comes in handy both for dodging torps and/or for getting back to the fleet.  Oh and looking forward to trying the Dallas when it becomes available, I think it will play a lot like the Leander.

[WOLF6]
Members
686 posts
3,951 battles

I don't like the reload on Pensacola, and turret traverse is an issue.

I did notice that Pensacola gets citadels on the cruisers a lot - the red cruisers die quicker when under fire from 203mm AP is seems than 152mm HE that I used to sling off Cleveland.

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles

My operations division has no issue with 5 starring Raptor. We usually run one destroyer, two battleships, maybe a carrier, and the rest cruisers. If you want to join an organized operations group and have or is up for getting Discord for voice comms, send me a message. If you have ground up the Russian tree, the Budyonny is also an excellent choice for this.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,928 posts
2,724 battles

I do well in a New Mexico, but Normandie is equally as effective - in some ways better if you like to operate away from the group.

I have not been doing as well in Pensacola as I had expected; I take too much damage for what I give out.  Partly this is because it's difficult to use terrain when the reds are coming from five different directions.  Also nearly impossible to become un-spotted to break focus fire.

Biggest threat to 5 stars is a DD getting close enough to put a torp into a support ship.  DDs need to be top priority.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,892 posts

Haven't tried Raptor Rescue this week, but as  DD main, I find cruisers more consistent in operations across the board. 

DDs just don't have the range or firepower. 

Sign in to follow this