You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SeaKnight_1990

Getting Kongo

13 comments in this topic

[BZERK]
Members
750 posts
4,211 battles

By the time the weekend (or even tomorrow) is over, I will most likely be the newest owner of a shiny new Kongo-class battleship. I've read on WoWs Wiki about some of the ideal builds for her, namely AA, secondary, regular. Which do you think I should go for and why? I'm leaning secondary.

While I'm at it, any other important gameplay advice?

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
42 minutes ago, SeaKnight_1990 said:

By the time the weekend (or even tomorrow) is over, I will most likely be the newest owner of a shiny new Kongo-class battleship. I've read on WoWs Wiki about some of the ideal builds for her, namely AA, secondary, regular. Which do you think I should go for and why? I'm leaning secondary.

No expert here bout Kongo but secondaries just kinda slap at the problem.  Main guns solve it. Matter of preference.  Subjective. 

[REVY]
Members
6,154 posts
5,161 battles
48 minutes ago, SeaKnight_1990 said:

The Kongo has a low skill ceiling, there are severe limits to what a skilled player can do with the ship.  It's fast but it's guns are inaccurate, the ship struggles to make a difference in combat.  And it'll get stuck in Tier 7 matches a lot.  Prepare yourself for frustration.  Don't bother with the secondary spec, you'll struggle to do more then 7k damage with them, and you'll probably do stupid things in order to get those secondaries into action.

Edited by Sventex

[RLGN]
Members
10,962 posts
20,042 battles

At least OP will be able to equip camos; my only Kongos right now are the East German nightclub ones. (ARPs.)

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,555 posts
4,220 battles

I went for a secondary gun build for use with the Izumo and Yamato. A firing range of 10.6km is pretty good, and it suits my more aggressive playstyle. But for the tier eight and under IJN battleships, a secondary gun build won't be of much use. At tier five, the Kongo sees carriers more often so you could try an AA build instead.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,696 posts
3,603 battles

Focus on AA with BFT and AFT skills if possible and the AA mod, CVs are very common at tier 5 and your ship if pretty long, has a wide turn radius, and has one of the slower rudder shifts making it a ideal target for torpedo planes even fully built your won't stop a CV, but you will bloody their nose enough to having them looking for other targets

I hate CVs and you should to

[STW-M]
Members
3,289 posts
7,725 battles

Kongo isn't a battleship, it's a battlecruiser.

You have the guns to punish just about everybody and the speed to reposition and evade, but your armor and AA sucks, so don't overextend.

Oh, and get her some black tea as well :cap_tea:

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,072 posts
11,081 battles

I run BFT/AFT on mine, Kongo's AA isn't bad for tier 5. Problem is, IJN AA doesn't get much better as you go up the tiers. Use her speed to dictate the range, her guns are accurate enough at 12-15 km. Don't let her stupidly long maximum gun range tempt you into sniping, cross the map shots are a matter of luck. She's probably the best tier 5 battleship if you get up-tiered, the 30 knot speed means that in tier 7 matches she can do a mean cruiser impersonation. She lives by angling the armor, and is great at supporting DD's and Cruisers. It's also evil to drive them in divisions of 3.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

boosting AA is never a bad idea around T5 because CVs are much more common around that tier. but i wouldn't go full AA build either.

my personal build for a Kongo would probably be:
commander skills (10 point); preventative maintenance, expert marksman, basics of survivability, and advanced firing training.
modules; main armaments, damage control, and aiming systems.

your secondaries do not have the range to be getting close and trying to use them, and your rudder shift and turning radius are not good enough to be making evasive maneuvers at close range. it's definitely not a brawler. instead, use your speed to stay around 12-15km and kite your enemy almost like a cruiser. don't over extend, but don't stay so far back that your guns are useless either. stay near your allies and remember to angle against other BBs.

[BZERK]
Members
750 posts
4,211 battles

I mean, I've already got AAM1, and am using my Myogi captain on her. I'll look tomorrow to see what skills he's using; he has five points now, and is well on his way to a sixth.

[BZERK]
Members
750 posts
4,211 battles

2 things:

1: My Myogi captain has finished his retraining; his skills are Priority Target and XM.

2: I also got the upgraded engine module. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,014 posts
2,842 battles

I'd advise a tank build.  Kongo uptiers better than any other Tier V BB, save perhaps Guilio Cesare.  Its speed, which as noted above, can get you in trouble, also allows you to get out of trouble used to your advantage and allows you to flex to where you need to be.  The guns aren't nearly as bad as some have said and if you fight from 10-14km and stay angled to keep the armor bouncing rounds.