You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

Oh my God! The Udaloi!!!

20 comments in this topic

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

Just got it a few days ago, still stock, and I love the hell out of this boat. I actually might like it better than my khab. I mean... holy crap. It's beautiful. great turrets, great guns, fast, maneuverable, okay torps. Man. So fun. Probably gonna permacamo this baby. In some ways, it is better than Khab, definitely harder to hit, better range, better torps, more maneuverable. what a boat!

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,782 battles

Udaloi is indeed very good.

One of my keepers from long ago.

[-BRS-]
Members
967 posts
15,507 battles

The Udaloi is my second favorite ship after Leningrad, is a very capable all around ship, and is often underestimated. Have fun with it. I also uploaded a game in the Udaloi on my channel if you want to see.

Edited by Lightninger

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

Just got it a few days ago, still stock, and I love the hell out of this boat. I actually might like it better than my khab. I mean... holy crap. It's beautiful. great turrets, great guns, fast, maneuverable, okay torps. Man. So fun. Probably gonna permacamo this baby. In some ways, it is better than Khab, definitely harder to hit, better range, better torps, more maneuverable. what a boat!

I love the trashcan better than kabba...

Udoloi is a fickle ship, great games or nuked early.

Last night I played her as a DD hunter in caps...oh my.

What a blast.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,210 posts
15,584 battles

When I first got the Udaloi it was back when it lead to the Khaba. I had my first 200k damage game when I took over the B cap on Islands of Ice during a Cyclone and managed to dish out 216k of damage to ships who kept charging. In fact I kept playing the Udaloi long after I had enough Exp to research the Khaba. Personally I think one of the reasons the Grozovoi isn't play so much has something to do with how good the Udaloi still is. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Udaloi is a lovely shooty bang bang ship- fast fire and great torpedoes and can zip about with the best of her tier. Definitely worth playing

[HDM]
Members
386 posts
13,248 battles

Udaloi is a decent ship, one of the few I have had 7 kill games in. It's just so hard to play well I sold her when I got the Gross boi.

Members
293 posts

I just got the Tashkent a few days ago.  Funny thing, I first thought of skipping her - nicknamed Trashcan for some reason I presumed - and use free XP to go straight to Mr. Khab. Thank God I did not do that! And now I am thinking about foregoing Khabby and stick with the Tash.

I am writing all this because I am curious about how the Udaloi can be any better? I only see 2 minor points (comparing both fully upgraded versions)

1) a bit better concealment but still awful compared to the competition. So you will always get spotted first on caps just like Tashkent

2) slightly better torps as the speed is 66 knots. But 8 km is just not very usefully at that Tier and more so due the bad concealment. So I cannot believe that there can be many opportunities to use them.

Edited by sendit2me30

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

The difference is not as big now. Udaloi has khab turrets and that was a big advantage when Tash didn't. Now I'd say it's a toss up with Tash probably out front because of the heal. Udaloi is noticeably smaller and more nimble, though. She doesn't get hit as much, but when she does, there's no heal to fix it. I like them both, though. 

[WOLF4]
Members
776 posts
7,809 battles
On 6/14/2018 at 7:11 PM, mrieder79 said:

I enjoy Udaloi very much - so much more than Khab.

Speed, good torps, great guns, good maneuverability - I've managed a 62% solo WR in her, over 145 matches.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:52 AM, sendit2me30 said:

I just got the Tashkent a few days ago.  Funny thing, I first thought of skipping her - nicknamed Trashcan for some reason I presumed - and use free XP to go straight to Mr. Khab. Thank God I did not do that! And now I am thinking about foregoing Khabby and stick with the Tash.

I am writing all this because I am curious about how the Udaloi can be any better? I only see 2 minor points (comparing both fully upgraded versions)

1) a bit better concealment but still awful compared to the competition. So you will always get spotted first on caps just like Tashkent

2) slightly better torps as the speed is 66 knots. But 8 km is just not very usefully at that Tier and more so due the bad concealment. So I cannot believe that there can be many opportunities to use them.

Udaloi isn't a capping boat - at least not in early match.  Go to a cap with a more stealthy DD - but don't  go in - if your partner lights up a DD, pop speed boost and shred the red.  Udaloi is all about speed, jinking and guns.

The torps can be very useful, though.  I run mine with a skipper shared with Gremy and Leningrad - and CE is one of his skills - it gets detection down to the same range as the torps.  Theres not many matches in which I don't get some hits with them - use the speed to close the range with boats breaking from cover, as well as smoke clouds - then launch both sets and the third as you retreat.  Nobody expects a wall of torps when its just a Russian gunboat guarding the flank!

Udaloi is a great choice for the special speed boost module.

[WGA]
-Members-
1,117 posts
3,680 battles

Just got the Udaloi myself. Took a while for me to get used to since I miss the torpedo range from the Ognevoi. But once I played a few games and watched a few youtube videos from the pros, she's actually quite enjoyable to play. 

It's hard to break some habits I've picked up from the Shimakaze and Gearing though. T_T

• Cool 1

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

Yeah.  She hits the sweet spot between size, speed, manueverability, and firepower without having absolutey horrible moon-view concealment. Honestly a toss-up with leningrad for most fun russian dd.

Edited by mrieder79

Members
293 posts

really ?  just got her an hate absolutely everything about her.  She is supposed to be the torp-line of destroyers and has the most useless torps imaginable: 6 km????? and the upgrade (only after B hull mind you!) is still crap at 8 km.  No speed, marginal guns and crappy concealment (better than other russian dds but sill utter crap which means you are always spotted)

come on; compared with Tashkent, which must be one of the best DDs in the game, everything really everything about her is sh*t (excuse my French!)Love the Tash, hate the udaNOi 

[WOLF4]
Members
776 posts
7,809 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, sendit2me30 said:

really ?  just got her an hate absolutely everything about her.  She is supposed to be the torp-line of destroyers and has the most useless torps imaginable: 6 km????? and the upgrade (only after B hull mind you!) is still crap at 8 km.  No speed, marginal guns and crappy concealment (better than other russian dds but sill utter crap which means you are always spotted)

come on; compared with Tashkent, which must be one of the best DDs in the game, everything really everything about her is sh*t (excuse my French!)Love the Tash, hate the udaNOi 

I find it interesting, as evidenced by a number of topics recently - that Udaloi is such a polarizing boat.

Its possible you have had some matches that didn't feature favorable match-ups - or perhaps its just a boat that takes a number of matches to find one's groove with.

I'm not entirely sure - but comments like "No speed, marginal guns and crappy concealment" makes me wonder if you had two bad matches and made up your mind based on that (very) limited experience - because those are pure perceptions and not based on any stats attached to the boat in comparison to her T9 contemporaries.

No matter - the grind is worth it, as it leads to Groz - though if one "hates" a boat as strong as Udaloi, there's no reason to believe Groz will be any more enjoyable for you.

If one is looking for the simplistic play-style of the Tash/Khab mini cruiser-HE spamming - then that branch is definitely the definition - however Udaloi/Groz are so much more complex than that - and when spec'ed correctly, offer a more interesting blend of high-speed gun-boating and traditional DD tactics.

For my part - I believe I'll re-purchase Tash (sold before the split, when I advanced to Udaloi) and give it a run with the new buffs to see what the fuss is about.  I don't have high hopes it'll catch with me, though - as I find Khab to be one of the least interesting DDs currently in the game, and I rarely sail her - despite the 19 point Skipper moldering on her bridge - ha ha! 

Edited by ddoubletapp1

Members
293 posts
1 hour ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I find it interesting, as evidenced by a number of topics recently - that Udaloi is such a polarizing boat.

Its possible you have had some matches that didn't feature favorable match-ups - or perhaps its just a boat that takes a number of matches to find one's groove with.

I'm not entirely sure - but comments like "No speed, marginal guns and crappy concealment" makes me wonder if you had two bad matches and made up your mind based on that (very) limited experience - because those are pure perceptions and not based on any stats attached to the boat in comparison to her T9 contemporaries.

No matter - the grind is worth it, as it leads to Groz - though if one "hates" a boat as strong as Udaloi, there's no reason to believe Groz will be any more enjoyable for you.

If one is looking for the simplistic play-style of the Tash/Khab mini cruiser-HE spamming - then that branch is definitely the definition - however Udaloi/Groz are so much more complex than that - and when spec'ed correctly, offer a more interesting blend of high-speed gun-boating and traditional DD tactics.

For my part - I believe I'll re-purchase Tash (sold before the split, when I advanced to Udaloi) and give it a run with the new buffs to see what the fuss is about.  I don't have high hopes it'll catch with me, though - as I find Khab to be one of the least interesting DDs currently in the game, and I rarely sail her - despite the 19 point Skipper moldering on her bridge - ha ha! 

yes you are right; I have calmed down a bit  since that :=)

there were indeed number of awful matches in a row with Uda; and - yes- she has grown on me.  But still it sort of immediately 'worked'  with the Tash (fireworks everywhere) whereas with the the Udaloi .. hmm, yeah - needs more work. I have absolutely no idea what to do  with those torps , so I just find myself doing the same things with here as I would in the Tash/Khab only far less efficient.   The only difference is that I would go onto a cap and use the smoke; but that is not always a wise idea either with all that radar.

I have a 14 point captain (well 16 but keeping the 2 points for now) and run:

I: PT

II: LS

III: DE

IV: CE, AFT

and thinking about using the next 3 points for SI.

For the rest I have pretty standard upgrades - here concealment is 7.2 km, which is really not much to write home about, and for the final slot I choose AA Guns Modification 3 as I just did not know what to put there? In a torp boat (like Shima) I obviously put Torpedo Mod 3 but I don't see much use for that here. 

[WOLF4]
Members
776 posts
7,809 battles
4 minutes ago, sendit2me30 said:

yes you are right; I have calmed down a bit  since that :=)

there were indeed number of awful matches in a row with Uda; and - yes- she has grown on me.  But still it sort of immediately 'worked'  with the Tash (fireworks everywhere) whereas with the the Udaloi .. hmm, yeah - needs more work. I have absolutely no idea what to do  with those torps , so I just find myself doing the same things with here as I would in the Tash/Khab only far less efficient.   The only difference is that I would go onto a cap and use the smoke; but that is not always a wise idea either with all that radar.

I have a 14 point captain (well 16 but keeping the 2 points for now) and run:

I: PT

II: LS

III: DE

IV: CE, AFT

and thinking about using the next 3 points for SI.

For the rest I have pretty standard upgrades - here concealment is 7.2 km, which is really not much to write home about, and for the final slot I choose AA Guns Modification 3 as I just did not know what to put there? In a torp boat (like Shima) I obviously put Torpedo Mod 3 but I don't see much use for that here. 

Fair enough - which was why I was wondering if it just might take a few matches to find one's "groove" in her.  My first matches in Udaloi were quite a long time ago.

I concur completely with your Skipper build - with one caveat.  If you plan to advance the Skipper to Groz - then you will absolutely want to add SI.  When Groz received her recent round of buffs - the balancing nerf was the loss of one charge of heal and smoke (iirc) - so using SI to get those back goes a long way to further her utility.

If you plan to keep that Skipper on Udaloi - then BFT is a more useful skill than SI, imho.  I run dedicated Commanders on Udaloi and Groz - so they are spec'ed differently due to this.

I applaud the choice of CE - so useful on both Udaloi and Groz when paired with the slot 5 concealment upgrade - it allows both boats to be far more than khab-esque mini-cruisers.

As to slot 6 - its hard to beat MB mod 3 - especially when paired with BFT.  While she is more than an HE spammer - Udaloi is certainly capable of contributing to a win with her guns - especially when they are employed against any red DD she can range in early match.

Interestingly - I recently watched a replay of a Groz match in which the player had spec'ed the ship for torpedo strength (TAE on the skipper, TT Mod 3 in slot 6) and it showed strongly enough to be a viable option.  Not my choice, necessarily - as I find spec'ing for guns to be of more (perceived) utility to me - but I might just give that a try one day, should I find a pile of dubloons burning a hole in my pocket!

Members
293 posts
2 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Fair enough - which was why I was wondering if it just might take a few matches to find one's "groove" in her.  My first matches in Udaloi were quite a long time ago.

I concur completely with your Skipper build - with one caveat.  If you plan to advance the Skipper to Groz - then you will absolutely want to add SI.  When Groz received her recent round of buffs - the balancing nerf was the loss of one charge of heal and smoke (iirc) - so using SI to get those back goes a long way to further her utility.

If you plan to keep that Skipper on Udaloi - then BFT is a more useful skill than SI, imho.  I run dedicated Commanders on Udaloi and Groz - so they are spec'ed differently due to this.

I applaud the choice of CE - so useful on both Udaloi and Groz when paired with the slot 5 concealment upgrade - it allows both boats to be far more than khab-esque mini-cruisers.

As to slot 6 - its hard to beat MB mod 3 - especially when paired with BFT.  While she is more than an HE spammer - Udaloi is certainly capable of contributing to a win with her guns - especially when they are employed against any red DD she can range in early match.

Interestingly - I recently watched a replay of a Groz match in which the player had spec'ed the ship for torpedo strength (TAE on the skipper, TT Mod 3 in slot 6) and it showed strongly enough to be a viable option.  Not my choice, necessarily - as I find spec'ing for guns to be of more (perceived) utility to me - but I might just give that a try one day, should I find a pile of dubloons burning a hole in my pocket!

thanks for the advice! yes I will move the Skipper to Grozovoi  and sell the Udaloi as I am short on everything - credits, skippers etc.

Funny thing is that almost immediately after this post I managed to torp a near full health Montana from complete stealth. He knew I was around as I fired on him before but he just did not seem to care and continued at full speed in a nice straight line (as if I wasn't there).. guess he never expected torps from an Udaloi?!  5 torps - I did not kill him but I managed to finish him off in smoke.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
776 posts
7,809 battles
6 hours ago, sendit2me30 said:

thanks for the advice! yes I will move the Skipper to Grozovoi  and sell the Udaloi as I am short on everything - credits, skippers etc.

Funny thing is that almost immediately after this post I managed to torp a near full health Montana from complete stealth. He knew I was around as I fired on him before but he just did not seem to care and continued at full speed in a nice straight line (as if I wasn't there).. guess he never expected torps from an Udaloi?!  5 torps - I did not kill him but I managed to finish him off in smoke.

And theres the beauty of Udaloi's torps.  She has 15, pretty fast, pretty stealthy torpedoes - and I try to make use of them whenever the opportunity presents.  I love dropping on the red push flank - two racks as I cross the T ahead of their course, and a third rack from the other side, as I egress back to comfortable kiting range - all from stealth.

No one expects a 15 torpedo wall when its just a Soviet gunboat guarding the flank - ha ha!