You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

The Ranger in Random is fun too!?

12 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,015 battles

So this is kinda weird... I'm having a lot of fun in Ranger. Like, a lot.

Spoiler

Co-op Stats: Ranger_Coop_stats.thumb.png.bad0c7208b998b3e804c487fecb32337.png

Spoiler

Random Stats: Ranger_Random_Stats.thumb.png.7b5771eb2d223cd8540838ec98aa99e9.png

I know the battles in Random aren't a lot (though it feels like more) it's been pretty consistent throughout. In both modes I average right around 70k dmg. And I noticed a few things:

1: I might not be a bad CV captain. I've gone up against other Rangers and did really well against them. (in the 4 Randoms I have, half were against Ranger's and the other Hiryu's. I've come out on top against all 4. Near top of the team in all battles.

2: Ranger is not the worst Tier VII CV. I think it's actually Hiryu. I've whipped them around like wet toilet paper every time I see one. Like they just get slaughtered.

3: I want Midway. I've never had this much fun with CV before, and now I want more.

Am I becoming a Carrier Main?

[WOLFB]
Members
2,734 posts
11,114 battles

Ranger better than Hiryu ?

Thanks for the laugh but not. Usually I don't really care about US ship but even I feel like Ranger could have a buff. Especially when at this tier you almost constantly face Saipan. Ranger is the worst T7 CV. The old Ranger used to be able to either strike hard or do 50 strike /50 air defense. The current one is just garbage.

Hiryu has 2 fighter or more with AS build.  Same with Kaga

Saipan has 2 or 3 fighter depending on the loadout.

Ranger has 1 Figher.

How do you expect to defend your aircraft from being shot at with only 1 squadron of figher ? Worst case scenario, you lose all your fighter, what do you do now ? The old 0/1/3 could put some heavy pressure but the current 1/1/2 ? No.

The old 2/0/2 loadout allowed Ranger to stands against other CV in term of Air Supperiority. The current loadout is just garbage.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles

lol the fall will be harder

Members
1,090 posts
5,914 battles

You will be shocked at how bad many carriers are. Particularly in the low to mid tiers. If you are aware of strafe and manual drop you already have a big leg up over many carriers you will face. 

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

The Ranger can be the worst tier 7 Carrier and still be pretty solid.  Just look at the other 3 choices.  They are all really strong.

[STW-M]
Members
3,198 posts
7,666 battles

You've only had 34 battles in Ranger. The suffering has yet to begin, and pray if you face a Saipan or a competent CV.

The problem with Ranger isn't so much as it's a bad CV, but that the other CVs are just much better than it.

Hiryu has better attack capabilities and aerial dominance, Saipan as well (but then again, it laughs at every tier 7 CV), and Kaga's strike capabilities makes Ranger's pale in comparison (if he doesn't decide to simply snipe you instead).

I've only played Ranger and Hiryu at tier 7, but the one thing I remember was that Rangers were always among my easiest enemies when sailing Hiryu. Why? Because if you can get a good strafe in and dogpile Ranger's fighter squadrons, you've basically won already and can hinder Ranger's bombers for the rest of the battle.

At least Lexington gets the luxury of AP bombs and not worrying about snipes, but Ranger has no such luck.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Someone said Hiryu is bad?

giphy.gif

But welcome to hell my friend, glad to have you.

Members
2,138 posts
3,926 battles

First things first,  I am glad you are having fun and hope you continue to do so.  

With that being said,  no,  the Hiryu is not bad.  You're facing bad captains.  And the fact that you haven't fought  a Saipan or a Kaga is a godsend for you,  my friend.  I sincerely hope the rest of your trip through both the Ranger and the Lexington go just as smoothly.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
416 posts
3,592 battles

Hiryuu being bad?  No.  Hiryuus manned by bad helmsmen? A distinct possibility.   I don't play much PvP nowadays, but I echo the sentiment of being wary of Saipans and Kagas.

Members
218 posts
2,116 battles

I'm at Essex currently, which can easily stand up to Taihos if you play right. 

Ranger cannot really even try to compare to her counterparts at T7. She can be a good ship if you are unicum level or so but Hiryu, Saipan, and Kaga will just steamroll you if the captain has an IQ higher than 10. 

You're just facing bad captains, which is not surprising(well, it kind of is). It's a blessing, really. Hopefully you keep getting these stupid opponents. Good luck