You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

BB Fighter's. Why such a short active time?

26 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles

Just curious what the reasoning is for the Battleship catapult fighters having such a short active time vs what they get on Cruisers? Cruisers get 5-6 minutes out of their fighters while BB's get all of a minute and a half. Basically spotter plane time for the fighters. Just can't get a grasp on the reasoning for this? Anyone ever seen it asked and answered?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,722 posts
20,718 battles

It was changed a long while back, they used to have much longer flight times. I don't recall why they did it since they are not all that effective, probably had more to do with spotter plane flight time. 

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Just curious what the reasoning is for the Battleship catapult fighters having such a short active time vs what they get on Cruisers? Cruisers get 5-6 minutes out of their fighters while BB's get all of a minute and a half. Basically spotter plane time for the fighters. Just can't get a grasp on the reasoning for this? Anyone ever seen it asked and answered?

They used to have long time before captain skills rework, but after 0.6.0 you could get Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft skill and have 360 degree torpedo spotting for the duration of the fighter. Obviously, that would make BBs even more powerful than they are already so it was nerfed.

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 1

Members
2,138 posts
3,926 battles

I think it was supposed to emphasize that BB's aren't intended to be anti-CV,  hence why they have no defensive fire.  So its meant to be an emergency button to push to help fend off an attack,  not to fend off several.  But I dunno for sure,  just a hunch.

Edited by Palladia

Members
5,524 posts
6,219 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I don't recall why they did it since they are not all that effective, probably had more to do with spotter plane flight time. 

Part of the change was due to the fact that most, if not all, BBs took the fighter over the spotter, not because it helped to deter CVs, but because the fighter proved to be a better spotter for both ships and torpedoes due to it's up-time. When DCFCA was added, it compounded the issue because you had two eyes able to sweep around you spotting mainly incoming torpedoes for 6 minutes at a time.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,727 posts
17,773 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Part of the change was due to the fact that most, if not all, BBs took the fighter over the spotter, not because it helped to deter CVs, but because the fighter proved to be a better spotter for both ships and torpedoes due to it's up-time. When DCFCA was added, it compounded the issue because you had two eyes able to sweep around you spotting mainly incoming torpedoes for 6 minutes at a time.

Exactly, the same reason I love them on my cruiser.  Poor mans radar.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,981 posts
14,623 battles

To encourage more careful consideration about their use.

• Cool 1

Members
2,111 posts
509 battles
17 minutes ago, Palladia said:

I think it was supposed to emphasize that BB's aren't intended to be anti-CV,  hence why the have no defensive fire.  So its meant to be an emergency button to push to help fend off an attack,  not to fend off several.  But I dunno for sure,  just a hunch.

BVFz2DJ.gif

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,714 posts
11,758 battles

I thought the justification was too much torpedo/DD spotting.

Members
2,138 posts
3,926 battles
12 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

BVFz2DJ.gif

What part of that lost you?  Defensive fire is the primary anti-CV tool,  BB's don't have them.  So while a BB can reach some good AA levels,  they'll never scatter planes in the same way a cruiser can.  Float fighters however DO scatter them in said manner.  But BB's intended role isn't to be anti-CV,  so it's float plane has a shorter up time.

But that's just my guess.

Edited by Palladia
  • Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
467 posts
4,047 battles
2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

BVFz2DJ.gif

Not sure what you're going what about. There is only one battleship in the game with defensive fire, and that's the Hood. No others have them.

Members
1,410 posts
8,793 battles

Yeah, BB catapult fighters were nerfed from their original 6-minute duration because it just gave excessively good spotting of torpedoes and other ships, which is something BB's aren't supposed to be really good at for game balance reasons.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles

With the really long cool down a somewhat longer activation would be nice but what I would like to see come back is a true spotter plane.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,365 posts
7,724 battles
16 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Yeah, BB catapult fighters were nerfed from their original 6-minute duration because it just gave excessively good spotting of torpedoes and other ships, which is something BB's aren't supposed to be really good at for game balance reasons.

So long story short, destroyer tears.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,627 posts
12,363 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Short answer: balance reasons. 

As others have noted, battleships with planes could use then as quasi sonar/radar, which reduces the effectiveness of destroyers against their primary prey, and reduces the importance of aggressive cruiser support to keep enemy DDs away and your own battleships alive. 

Battleships that can do their own AA, spotting and direct fire killing (like Missouri) are OP because they can act independently of the quality of their team; whereas other ships cannot. 

Ie, the fighter planes were not useful for their 50 extra AA DPS, but for vision.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,734 posts
11,128 battles

It used to have the same duration as cruiser catapult fighter but when combined with the double catapult, it gives a 360° hydro in form of catapult fighter.  This was just straight up annoying as it would often prevent BB from getting hit by torps. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,852 posts
7,254 battles

Look on the bright side, Musashi has the longest BB catapult fighter duration...

:Smile_hiding:

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, GoldPile said:

Look on the bright side, Musashi has the longest BB catapult fighter duration...

Where's the bright side? 

[HSD]
Members
456 posts
10,541 battles
3 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

off topic, what's that signature battle scene off of?

Last Exile, battle takes place over the first two episodes if I recall correctly.

Anatoray (green airships) vs Disith (grey/white airships).

Then the Silvana shows ups and rips some of the Disith ships apart.

Members
2,111 posts
509 battles
18 hours ago, Palladia said:

What part of that lost you?  Defensive fire is the primary anti-CV tool,  BB's don't have them.  So while a BB can reach some good AA levels,  they'll never scatter planes in the same way a cruiser can.  Float fighters however DO scatter them in said manner.  But BB's intended role isn't to be anti-CV,  so it's float plane has a shorter up time.

But that's just my guess.

18 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

Not sure what you're going what about. There is only one battleship in the game with defensive fire, and that's the Hood. No others have them.

you say that BBs do not have Defensive fire... if you mean the module... fine... but a LOT of BBs can melt planes in seconds without it so you actually make less sense than My Meme.... a Texas can scatter a lot of planes... a LOT of BBs get more plane kills than a Zao with DF.... just to be CLEAR about why I posted that.... it sounds kind of silly when you say what you said about ANTI CV and BBs NOT being ANTI CV...

[STURM]
Members
467 posts
4,047 battles
7 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

you say that BBs do not have Defensive fire... if you mean the module... fine... but a LOT of BBs can melt planes in seconds without it so you actually make less sense than My Meme.... a Texas can scatter a lot of planes... a LOT of BBs get more plane kills than a Zao with DF.... just to be CLEAR about why I posted that.... it sounds kind of silly when you say what you said about ANTI CV and BBs NOT being ANTI CV...

Sorry, no. The original poster was clear in what he meant, and your post of Tom going "what" was not. The consumable (not module) is what he was talking about, the one that is named in the game, and thus referred to everywhere, as defensive fire. He wasn't talking about normal AA fire.

And while many of the high tier BBs do have good AA power, it is still no substitute for defensive fire. The Texas may shoot down lots of planes, but it cannot scatter them. Only activating defensive fire can do that. Some battleships can definitely make a strike expensive, but only one of them can make the strike less accurate.

EDIT: And then, of course, I forget the very consumable the thread was discussing. A catapult fighter can disrupt a drop, but it is super inconsistent.

A: the fighter has to be out.

B: the fighter has to not get shot down.

C: the fighter has to attach to a bomber squad, and not a fighter, if it attaches at all.

And even after all that, it still only disrupts one squad. Not to mention the short time it's up on BBs.

So, I guess it's a substitute for defensive fire, in the same way a band-aid is a substitute for surgery.

Edited by Baskerville77