AlemaumBeer

churchill speech for motivate england ships

8 comments in this topic

Members
4,671 posts
6,775 battles

"These are not the worst of times.  These are the BEST of times. And, should the British Commonwealth and her empire last for a thousand years, still, men will say......THIS was their finest hour"

I do think he loved getting it on with Hitler.  The LAST warrior.  The last lion. He felt he was a man of destiny. Like him or not. A true Victorian. Very 19th century.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,173 posts
9,527 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

"These are not the worst of times.  These are the BEST of times. And, should the British Commonwealth and her empire last for a thousand years, still, men will say......THIS was their finest hour"

I do think he loved getting it on with Hitler.  The LAST warrior.  The last lion. He felt he was a man of destiny. Like him or not. A true Victorian. Very 19th century.

A different speech, that was about the RAF in the Battle of Britian but he sure knew how to turn a word. The real speech that Beer paraphrased was probably the greatest poker hand ever played because that speech was aimed as much at the Germans as it was to the British people.

• Cool 1

Members
4,671 posts
6,775 battles
35 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

A different speech, that was about the RAF in the Battle of Britian but he sure knew how to turn a word. The real speech that Beer paraphrased was probably the greatest poker hand ever played because that speech was aimed as much at the Germans as it was to the British people.

Indeed.  The RAF in the summer/fall of 1940. I kinda cobbled some stuff together ya know.  Yes, OP put out there his speech which served notice to the Austrian corporal....you want us...come and try and get us. A great man, a flawed man in some ways, an imperialist, a Victorian, a product of his times,,,  but by golly if the chips are down I want him with me. A true warrior. Odd streak of genius at times. He had Hitler's number in the 1920's and tried for 15 years to wake the allies up as to what was coming. And it indeed came.  As he said it would.

He was also a combat veteran. Unlike so many leaders today. Carry on.

Edited by dmckay

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,173 posts
9,527 battles
6 minutes ago, dmckay said:

He was also a combat veteran. Unlike so many leaders today. Carry on.

Look up a copy of The River War which is about his experience during the reconquest of the Sudan. His writing style like Theodore Roosevelt's was very straight forward and easy to digest to someone a century later unlike most writing of that era.

• Cool 1

Members
4,671 posts
6,775 battles

"All the others pulled their sabers, I pulled my Mauser"  He had one (the broom handle) in that last big charge of the Brits in the Sudan.  He could afford it. YA! 

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,173 posts
9,527 battles
11 minutes ago, dmckay said:

"All the others pulled their sabers, I pulled my Mauser"  He had one (the broom handle) in that last big charge of the Brits in the Sudan.  He could afford it. YA! 

That is a good choice for a reread, I should look it up myself along with Roosevelt's Naval War of 1812. There are better books on the war but none of them address the war at sea and on the lakes as well. Did you know that there was a 130 gun ship ship of the line that would have been bigger than the Santisima Trinidad  laid down on Lake Ontario?

Members
4,671 posts
6,775 battles
13 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

That is a good choice for a reread, I should look it up myself along with Roosevelt's Naval War of 1812. There are better books on the war but none of them address the war at sea and on the lakes as well. Did you know that there was a 130 gun ship ship of the line that would have been bigger than the Santisima Trinidad  laid down on Lake Ontario?

TR was a serious piece of work.  The first REAL leader this country had after Lincoln was shot. Most of the rest in the late 19th century were big business smoke filled room picks by the great Robber Barons.  The great industrialists.  McKinley was not bad....he was a pretty good guy.  But after the Maine blew up he had no choice but to accept war with Spain. Under intense pressure to do so. TR was delighted! Gotta prove his manhood at San Juan Hill. Rough Riders took a pretty good hit going up that hill.  TR was lucky to survive.