You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Viper101

MacOS vs Windows vs Linux

Mac vs Windows Users (with Linux)  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Play World of Warships on MacOS (Or OSX), Windows, or Linux?

• MacOS (OSX)
    • Windows
    • Linux

30 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,389 battles

Hi all, 

I'm just curious as to how many people play on MacOS (or OSX) vs Windows and Linux. 

I have wanted to do a write-up of sorts on the benefits of bootcamping a Mac, but wanted to gauge how many people it would concern first. 

Edit: I personally play on a 2012 MacBook Pro 15 inch right now. It has a 3rd gen i7 (3615QM @ 2.3) and a GT 650M w/ 512mb of VRAM.
Normally I would be playing on my windows desktop, but that is currently out of action (and will be until the 20th of August...)

Edited by Viper101

[SFOR]
Members
974 posts
6,958 battles

I didn't know there was wows for linux. The problem is the programs i use for work only exist in windows. So i am stuck in this crapOS.

Members
40 posts
617 battles
3 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Windows...Though not the "Best" it is the most Common OS

"Most common" really depends on where you are. I find that MacOS is more common in a workplace environment compared to windows which is more relegated to home desktop builds.

EDIT: When i mean workplace i was more talking about educational workplaces like class rooms.

Edited by Yunomicro

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,196 battles

I prefer using virtual machines like virtualbox over dual booting... dual booting is such a hassle.  

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
Just now, Yunomicro said:

"Most common" really depends on where you are. I find that MacOS is more common in a workplace environment compared to windows which is more relegated to home desktop builds.

And "Work" is where you need the better OS

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,321 posts
11,303 battles
11 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Windows...Though not the "Best" it is the most Common OS

This and it is the best way to run most PC games either in native Windows or in Windows on a Bootcamped Mac.

1 minute ago, _no_one_ said:

I didn't know there was wows for linux. The problem is the programs i use for work only exist in windows. So i am stuck in this crapOS.

There isn't but I know that people used to us Wine on Linux to run PC programs.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,196 battles
1 minute ago, Yunomicro said:

Depends on line of work, most engineering and software firm uses windows for anything that doesn't require Linux, but Mac is more common place in art and cinema industries. 

[SFOR]
Members
974 posts
6,958 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Yes but this only works to a certain degree with old programs. 

3,702 posts
611 battles
47 minutes ago, Yunomicro said:

Windows is universally the business OS of choice. Which is why things like Active Directory and Windows Domain functions and Windows Server exist. 

Windows is the industry standard. Mac is an outlier. Linux is something you might use on VM because some wonky old obsolete peace of equipment runs it. 

45 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

Mac is more common place in art and cinema industries. 

Not as much as you might think. The days of Macs being superior rendering machines is long gone. The old G4 and G5s were really good at it, but today a Mac is just a PC with a proprietary OS. The hardware isn't actually better for the task anymore and the library is much larger for Windows. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,885 battles

I play wows on an 11-inch MacBook Air (2013)  in a boot camp partition.  (Windows 10) Plays fine, get 35-45 FPS using the intel graphics

wot used to work as well but after 1.0 tanks doesn’t run so well on the MacBook Air.

the only issue I have is the heat generated by the cpu that is conducted through the aluminum casing...

i thought about virtualbox, but I prefer running Windows natively on the MacBook Air.

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles
48 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I ran WoWS on Linux until an update broke that solution.

I built a custom system that run Windows so I can run this game.

I need to try the new version of Wine against the current client to see if I can go back to all Linux.

As for the OS, I like to know when the system is going to reboot.  And I expect a system to boot to a working condition.  Windows breaks both of those.  The random reboots because Redmond said so are a problem as I run simulations on my system when I am not gaming on it.  Also, I regularly have to convince the Windows to keep using the WiFi adapter I have used since I built the system.  I have had it decide to stop sending packets in the middle of a battle.  Very annoying.

3,702 posts
611 battles

"random reboots" in Windows aren't a thing unless you allow them to be a thing. The school district I work for has 14,000 Windows 10 Pro workstations and none of them reboot randomly. They're all scheduled through group policy. 

My only gripe with Windows 10 from a professional standpoint is the lack of ability to get rid of Metro Apps on a machine basis (they're user-based) without buying the Enterprise or Education version of the OS. Of course, like everything else, there are ways around that.

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,389 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

I switched from OSX to a dual boot Windows.

Much more stable on Windows.

I've done the same thing a couple of times, hence my making this post. I eventually want to make a guide of sorts explaining why a bootcamp partition is better if you're on a Mac.

2 hours ago, Yunomicro said:

Unless it's a huge corporation like the University I work for.

It's funny, among the students, Macs are way more popular, but within the university (faculty, staff, etc) windows is huge.

[WOLF6]
Members
338 posts
2,779 battles
1 hour ago, _no_one_ said:

There isn't.  There isn't a Wows for MacOS, either.  The MacOS version is literally just the Windows client with a codeweavers API wrapper that is based on Wine.  It's interesting that most Mac players don't know this.

1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

I switched from OSX to a dual boot Windows.

Much more stable on Windows.

See above.

1 hour ago, Yunomicro said:

Windows dominates all office environments.  Other posters have added to this since I started, but Mac only shines in A/V & art studios, and among university students and starbucks crowds.  The Mac Pro has been largely irrelevant since the introduction of the trashcan version.

1 hour ago, NCC81701 said:

I prefer using virtual machines like virtualbox over dual booting... dual booting is such a hassle.  

Virtual solutions still don't do 3d very well, or at least they didn't last I checked, which admittedly was several years ago.  Even Directx9 games were unplayable.

1 hour ago, _no_one_ said:

Yes but this only works to a certain degree with old programs. 

As I noted, the MacOS 'version' of Wows is simply the Windows client running on a commercial derivative of Wine.  You can play many modern games through Wine, but it can be tricky, and updates can break compatibility.

10 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

"random reboots" in Windows aren't a thing unless you allow them to be a thing. The school district I work for has 14,000 Windows 10 Pro workstations and none of them reboot randomly. They're all scheduled through group policy. 

My only gripe with Windows 10 from a professional standpoint is the lack of ability to get rid of Metro Apps on a machine basis (they're user-based) without buying the Enterprise or Education version of the OS. Of course, like everything else, there are ways around that.

No, we've graduated from random reboots to non-delayable policy/update forced reboots.

Windows 10 is actually pretty stable, and the underlying OS is quite good.  The UI, however, is a idiotic cludge of inconsistencies.

• Cool 2

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles
25 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

I only paid for Home.  I don't get to not have reboots I didn't request.

It wouldn't be as bad if they left a message that my system has rebooted, but the usual way I detect the reboot is the loss of connectivity due to the other issue requiring manual handholding to get the OS to actually use the NIC.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,369 posts
8,370 battles
19 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

There isn't.  There isn't a Wows for MacOS, either.  The MacOS version is literally just the Windows client with a codeweavers API wrapper that is based on Wine.  It's interesting that most Mac players don't know this.

I mean, how much more explicit do you want people to be?

"I used to run the Linux version of WoWS in a janky wine wrapper on Mac OS" is a lot less nice to say than "I ran it on MacOS."

Members
40 posts
617 battles

There was a time when Macintosh's were quite popular in the office business. Guess those days are over with apple aimed more towards a younger demographic like me.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,844 posts
1 hour ago, Yunomicro said:

Hardly.....

[WOLF6]
Members
338 posts
2,779 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I mean, how much more explicit do you want people to be?

"I used to run the Linux version of WoWS in a janky wine wrapper on Mac OS" is a lot less nice to say than "I ran it on MacOS."

Mac Client vs Mac Wrapper.  Not sure why that was difficult.  I also don't really care, it's just notable in posts that whine about the Mac "client" being buggier than the windows version, which means they probably don't know.

Side Note:  your line about running a Linux version in Wine on MacOS is quite funny.  Kudos if it was intentional.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,321 posts
11,303 battles
1 hour ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I ran WoWS on Linux until an update broke that solution.

I built a custom system that run Windows so I can run this game.

I need to try the new version of Wine against the current client to see if I can go back to all Linux.

As for the OS, I like to know when the system is going to reboot.  And I expect a system to boot to a working condition.  Windows breaks both of those.  The random reboots because Redmond said so are a problem as I run simulations on my system when I am not gaming on it.  Also, I regularly have to convince the Windows to keep using the WiFi adapter I have used since I built the system.  I have had it decide to stop sending packets in the middle of a battle.  Very annoying.

Check your settings, it should ask if you want to reboot now or later.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,822 posts
9,443 battles

Grew up w/ Windows, best universal system for most needs and purposes, to my knowledge.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,369 posts
8,370 battles
44 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

Mac Client vs Mac Wrapper.  Not sure why that was difficult.  I also don't really care, it's just notable in posts that whine about the Mac "client" being buggier than the windows version, which means they probably don't know.

Side Note:  your line about running a Linux version in Wine on MacOS is quite funny.  Kudos if it was intentional.

;-)

[TDG]
Members
1,650 posts
8,209 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Check your settings, it should ask if you want to reboot now or later.

If I happen to be on the system at the right time, I might get asked.

As noted above, I usually discover the reboot due to the network not being connected, or the failed simulation run.