You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

PSA: Trojan issue with mxstat

7 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

All of a sudden Microsoft is flagging https://wows.mv-smirnov.org/en/mxstat/ as a virus. I'm a donator and have used the program for a long time without issue but there is no word from the developer yet. I'm in wait-and-see mode until I hears something about what happened (maybe his site got hacked, maybe Microsoft has a false positive, etc).

That includes existing installs and the newest one. In the TOOL thread there is someone posting the same thing under Windows 10 (I run 7 because I hate malware).

MKjugs6.png

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,067 posts
629 battles

At least you aren't using Norton. 

[JCMNR]
Members
191 posts
14,783 battles

I was using AVG for a few years and it never reported it as Potentialybad software. But I may have put it on the whitelist too i don't remember. Anyway, I got rid of AVG and just used Windows Defender. It Flagged Mxstat as a trojan blah blah. I generally ignore these things, and upon further research found that this type of so-called trojan that Defender is reported is quite often a false positive. 

The only thing I find peculiar or worrying is where Windows Defender is finding these Files. Its finding them in the Windows Installers Section. Is that right? Normal etc? Coz I am directing it to install along side my Warships installation found on my 3rd HDD (E Drive). yet its turning up on C Drive in a p[lace that I wouldn't have thought it would make copies of its self. and boy is there plenty of them. Each instance is inside its own Folder with some wired Hexa Decimal Name (i think its Hex I dunno).

image.thumb.png.53ebfa38806be7dec388090f309283e6.png

and I'm pretty sure I do have some kind of virus (possibly separate to mxstat issue, or perhaps caused by Mxstat, how would I know?) I say this because something keeps on creating MSI / MSP Files (windows Installers) Lots of them, Service host is very busy much of the time creating them.  Note the Date. I deleted a tonne of these last week. I find them by searching for the largest files (to free Disk Space). In other words, these are being created recently, but the dates are from like February last year for e.g. Possibly like the virus is trying to make me think these are old files or something. I dunno. I acknowledge it could be a Windows update malfunction or just Windows being windows. But it does seem dodgy and my PC is running like crap. Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 (8 core, 4 logical), 16 gig Ram, GTX 970, MSI Gaming 3 H97 mobo.

20190817_003368.thumb.png.3a0ee8d1eaf81060f2d7162e8e355d4e.png

(Yes the top one is a legit acrobat update installer)(But the others below it are chewing up SSD Space and being really annoying and have wrong dates).

So im not trying to assert that mxStat is Malevolent, but the way im viewing this causes me to be quite suspicious of the behaviour of those multiple files in the Windows installer section. I don't ever remember MxStat mention that area as part of the install. but I dunno, programs seem to put themselves all over the bloody place these days.  Anyway, just adding my experience, maybe if others make reports of a similar kind then some kind of a picture might emerge

Edited by TRN2LA

[WOLF9]
Members
9,779 posts
4,305 battles

This last release asked to install a little "app" in the game folder.  I presume that's some sort of independent or background process.

Avast and Defender did not report it.