You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrYee

Why do you BBs always want to ram??

28 comments in this topic

[SSGS]
Members
82 posts
14,543 battles

Why do you BBs always want to ram??  I have had many games where I drive a DD or cruiser with torps but the BB go in for a ram and I can't torp.  Most of the time the ram fails, and then the BB turns often turns attention to me and then I die too.

If you BBs feel that you can't turn and show broadside, fine, go backwards and keep firing and let your teammate help kill the red guy. 

At this point I think that many BB players have the tactical acumen of a Sno-cone.  I am just not impressed.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,200 posts
14,795 battles

Can't speak for others, but for me it's a matter of the profitable exchange. If I'm in a bad situation and I'm sure to die, I'll try to take as many hit points down with me as I can. If this means shoving my 10k health battleship into the face of a 40k one, that's a profitable exchange for me.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,819 posts
11,528 battles

Let's see, come to a stop, reverse engines, and travel at a single digit speeds while the DD/cruiser is free to maneuver as they wish or keep going and force the DD/cruiser to react to my movements? Which do you think has the best chance of getting out alive?

• Cool 1

[SSGS]
Members
82 posts
14,543 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Let's see, come to a stop, reverse engines, and travel at a single digit speeds while the DD/cruiser is free to maneuver as they wish or keep going and force the DD/cruiser to react to my movements? Which do you think has the best chance of getting out alive?

In my experience it is usually neither, and the red BB walks away with 2 kills.  A DD or CL with the ability to torp means possibly killing or heavily damaging the red BB, and both green ships live.  Or, the DD/CL torps, gets killed, and the green BB finishes of the now badly wounded red BB.  It's called teamwork.

• Cool 1

Members
479 posts
7,754 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

Can't speak for others, but for me it's a matter of the profitable exchange. If I'm in a bad situation and I'm sure to die, I'll try to take as many hit points down with me as I can. If this means shoving my 10k health battleship into the face of a 40k one, that's a profitable exchange for me.

This. It's all about the HP exchange. If you are low HP or in a bad position and being focused down quickly, it's smart to go for the ram to take down a full HP enemy ship with you.

Conversely if you are brawling with another ship and have the upper hand, be prepared to kite away if they move to close in on you. I've seen many full HP BBs die b/c they continued to close the distance on a wounded opponent and can't avoid the desperation ram.

[SSGS]
Members
82 posts
14,543 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

You missed the point...you might NOT be 'sure to die' if you let your teammate do his part.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,200 posts
14,795 battles
2 minutes ago, MrYee said:

You missed the point...you might NOT be 'sure to die' if you let your teammate do his part.

v

23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

^

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,819 posts
11,528 battles
5 minutes ago, MrYee said:

In my experience it is usually neither, and the red BB walks away with 2 kills.  A DD or CL with the ability to torp means possibly killing or heavily damaging the red BB, and both green ships live.  Or, the DD/CL torps, gets killed, and the green BB finishes of the now badly wounded red BB.  It's called teamwork.

This all depends on how close the DD/cruiser is. If fairly far away turning away makes sense but if they are really close getting closer is the better move.

[REVY]
Members
6,154 posts
5,161 battles
40 minutes ago, MrYee said:

Why do you BBs always want to ram??  I have had many games where I drive a DD or cruiser with torps but the BB go in for a ram and I can't torp.  Most of the time the ram fails, and then the BB turns often turns attention to me and then I die too.

If you BBs feel that you can't turn and show broadside, fine, go backwards and keep firing and let your teammate help kill the red guy. 

At this point I think that many BB players have the tactical acumen of a Sno-cone.  I am just not impressed.

"Glory arouses a powerful desire. But to those who cannot feel it, it cannot be explained."

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
4,536 posts
15,416 battles

ramming a DD with a BB ? ooo I will do that in a heart beat. Especially if he is torp DD, the closer I can get to him the better, he can;t use his torps and he is sailing full speed at me yup I am ramming no questions ask, IF I have enough HP I will probably get a die-harder achievement.

• BB and a cruiser
  1. I would try to get the CIt first but if he is to close to use guns then yes ram away.
  • BB vs BB ram
  1. Only in a exchange basis to maintain a BB numbers Adv.
  • DD vs DD Ram
  1. Highly recommended as a last resort, anytime you have a chance to take away a DD at any tier, its a plus for your team.

The humiliating part is when you missed the RAM. That is a feeling of oh crap its over you will over feel in a match that is sooo intense. Ramming is a part of the game and when used correctly its a match changer. 

[RLGN]
Members
10,936 posts
20,000 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This all depends on how close the DD/cruiser is. If fairly far away turning away makes sense but if they are really close getting closer is the better move.

This^^^

Against anything with torpedoes ‘ramming’ pretty much has the same two points;

1: Get so close they can’t torp you; either ultimately for a ram, or a pass-by secondaries strafing that extends the fight and gives the possibility of at least one more main battery salvo.

2: (What @Lert said;)

38 minutes ago, Lert said:

2-a: Depending on damage levels; odds are a battleship will always crush and win a ram against a lesser vessel.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

One of the things that got me hooked on this game was ramming things. I've always had issues, and I've passed out more rammings than needed...The worst was when my kids made me buy the "murderous chicken" camo  for the Richie...He makes me ram things...really...I can't help it. :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,603 posts
3,416 battles

I ram because the repair cost is the same no matter how much damage I take. If we are at 900 pts and about to win, Im gonna ram someone. It is the easiest way to rack up big damage. Ive traded 50k for 19k before in the final minutes of the game, because its basically free damage. Or if Im in the middle of the red team getting focus fired, I wanna make a beeline for the nearest enemy so I can get free damage AND make sure me dying is at least a trade.

[SSGS]
Members
82 posts
14,543 battles

Ok, you are all missing the point...maybe I did not define it well enough.  I am talking about 1 red BB with maybe 50% HP, a green DD/CL that is mostly dead, but has torps, and a green BB with maybe 20% HP.  The green BB rushes in and gets in the way of the torps,  DD/CL does not fire torps to  avoid TK, and then both die to red BB.

I am NOT talking about a green BB ramming a red CL/DD.

Beta Testers
844 posts
4,445 battles
1 minute ago, MrYee said:

Ok, you are all missing the point...maybe I did not define it well enough.  I am talking about 1 red BB with maybe 50% HP, a green DD/CL that is mostly dead, but has torps, and a green BB with maybe 20% HP.  The green BB rushes in and gets in the way of the torps,  DD/CL does not fire torps to  avoid TK, and then both die to red BB.

I am NOT talking about a green BB ramming a red CL/DD.

They arent missing the point. You just never set this point in your original post. :cap_yes:

• Cool 1

[SSGS]
Members
82 posts
14,543 battles
3 minutes ago, Angel_With_A_Shotgun said:

They arent missing the point. You just never set this point in your original post. :cap_yes:

Thought it was clear...how many BBs are afraid to turn broadside to a DD/CL??  Possibly understandable if they have torps, but most DD/CL would be able to  avoid anyway.

Beta Testers
844 posts
4,445 battles
1 minute ago, MrYee said:

Thought it was clear...how many BBs are afraid to turn broadside to a DD/CL??  Possibly understandable if they have torps, but most DD/CL would be able to  avoid anyway.

Don't assume people are going to know what you mean if you dont specify things. If you had been more specific about the circumstances you were talking about then you would have gotten the answers you were looking for. Instead you were vague and got answers that reflected as such. 

[WDS]
Members
1,749 posts
8,802 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Ramming is so much fun.

01TzIJu.jpg

Now that was very funny . I use to love those commercials they were the best .

[SALVO]
Members
21,318 posts
21,504 battles
54 minutes ago, MrYee said:

No, I don't think that you  get it.  Say that we're both in 100k HP tier 10 BBs in a short range brawl.  The enemy BB is near full health while my BB is under 20k HP, perhaps even 10k HP.  If I can ram that healthy enemy BB, we'll both die, but it will be a VERY profitable exchange because I'm nearly dead while the enemy was very healthy.  

While I might wish that ramming was removed from the game, or a slightly more realistic ramming damage model was added, for now, in the situation above, my attempting to ram the vastly more healthy enemy BB is the smart tactical play because I'd be trading my low HP BB for a high HP healthy BB.  It's as simple as that.

[RST]
Members
1,893 posts
11,938 battles

I usually ram if I'm doomed. My HP is very low and I have an opportunity to take the other BB down with me.

There is one other reason to ram. It doesn't happen often but lets say you are in a tier 8 BB and close quarters to an enemy tier 10 BB. Even though you can easily put some distance between you and the tier 10 and get away , taking out their BB would give your team the tactical advantage and could win the battle. 

Members
1,727 posts
14,709 battles

Sorry, can’t always tell what some other player is going to do, or if the dd/CL will be able to torp before being blown away or if their torps were knocked out ( or even if his spread will be successful).  If you are in a situation where you think you will not survive, and you can take an enemy ship out with you ( especially if your team is in the lead), you do it.  

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles

I sometimes ram because there is something that battleships turn like, I can't seem to remember it right now. The other reason I ram on occasion is because I'm not paying attention to where I'm going.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
On 6/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Am I the only one who has "Ram a DD camping in smoke" on his Wow bucket list? 

Done it before. Only once. In an Iron Duke, of all things. DD got super salty because he'd fired his torps at one of my teammates and was sitting completely still, so there was nothing he could do. Highly amusing.

10/10 would recommend.

• Cool 1