You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

Kidd (or DDs with Repair) - No Need for Last Stand?

35 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,552 battles

Since Kidd has a repair consumable that can counter fire damage. Is it wise to run Kidd without a captain using Last Stand? Since repair is saved only for broken modules.

With a build along this line:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000010010011100000000119

Beta Testers
407 posts
7,188 battles

Last Stand is pretty much mandatory...for DDs...sure you can put out the fire..but what happens when you lose your steering or engine?

DD's esp tend to get hit a ton in their rear as most people dont lead them enough...getting caught with a dead engine or losing steering when you're Repair is on cooldown..is death in DD.

Up to you..but i wouldn't play any DD without it.

:)

[DANKY]
Members
566 posts
1,761 battles

Ha ha no.  Repair has a cooldown, and DCP has a cooldown.  There's no way you can daisy chain them to get total immunity for an entire firefight.  And that is what you'd need to do, because DD modules are made of cardboard and every stray round knocks something out.  A lucky HE shot from a BB can disable half the ship.  Any time you lose power or steering while spotted, you have the survival chance of a pinata at a little league party.  Stick with Last Stand.  

[DRACS]
Members
3,547 posts

*Always* take Last Stand on DDs. Repair Party won't help you when you're getting spiked down because you're sitting still and unable to move.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,241 posts
7,771 battles

LS has exactly nothing to do with RP, they are completely different things. So, how you seem to think a DD can do away with LS because it has a RP is beyond me.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,079 posts
12,023 battles

Having a repair doesn't have anything to do with needing LS or not. Nor do you take LS because of fire damage, its for rudder/engine.

You still need last stand on your DD.

Your post confuses me and I hope you are trolling.

Edit: Better Kidd build http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011010001100000000119

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

Beta Testers
553 posts
7,041 battles

Last Stand is 100% necessary on DDs,

I don't know how many times I have been sneezed at and my <insert OMG I need this module now here> has been incapacitated.  Sometimes it seems like my ship had shell magnets in those sections.  Without Last Stand, I would have been dead, instead I was able to limp away to fight again after regaining some distance.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,538 posts
13,126 battles

All the hit point recovery in the world won't help you if you're a stationary target because your engine got shot out.

• Cool 1

Members
18,853 posts
5,323 battles
17 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

LS has exactly nothing to do with RP, they are completely different things. So, how you seem to think a DD can do away with LS because it has a RP is beyond me.

I don't agree with him, but I get it.

I think what he's saying is that LS is mostly necessary because you have to split your DC between steering/propulsion damage and fire.

With RP, you don't need to use DC on fire, because you can 100% repair the fire after it burns out, thus being more likely to have DC available to fix steering/propulsion damage.

It makes sense in theory, but I disagree because steering/propulsion hits are likely to occur more than once per DC cycle.

As well, you can't afford to let fire burn on a DD like you can a BB. If a fire takes 1/4 of your BB HP, you still have say, 60k HP left, which still leaves you many hits from death. A DD with 1/4 taken off has 15k HP or less left, and is dead with a few hits.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
407 posts
7,188 battles
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I don't agree with him, but I get it.

I think what he's saying is that LS is mostly necessary because you have to split your DC between steering/propulsion damage and fire.

With RP, you don't need to use DC on fire, because you can 100% repair the fire after it burns out, thus being more likely to have DC available to fix steering/propulsion damage.

It makes sense in theory, but I disagree because steering/propulsion hits are likely to occur more than once per DC cycle.

As well, you can't afford to let fire burn on a DD like you can a BB. If a fire takes 1/4 of your BB HP, you still have say, 60k HP left, which still leaves you many hits from death. A DD with 1/4 taken off has 15k HP or less left, and is dead with a few hits.

Ah yeah...now i get what he was talking about, new he was trying to get at something else but wasnt sure....Thanks mate..

But yeah..as you said...thats not going to save him.. LS 100% for DDs.

[TBW]
Members
6,576 posts
12,427 battles
1 hour ago, Hanz_Gooblemienhoffen_42 said:

Last Stand is pretty much mandatory...for DDs

1 hour ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Stick with Last Stand.  

1 hour ago, Tom_Mack said:

Last stand is a must

1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

You still need last stand on your DD.

1 hour ago, Siegewolf said:

Last Stand is 100% necessary on DDs,

50 minutes ago, Lert said:

All the hit point recovery in the world won't help you if you're a stationary target because your engine got shot out.

20 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Drive a DD? Install Last stand in your Captain.

No If's No But's

17 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Always take LS. I skip PM lots though.

15 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Ditching LS is a terrible idea. 

6 minutes ago, RinzlerCobra said:

You need Last Stand, period.

1 minute ago, Wulfgarn said:

:Smile_great:

A thread that everyone can agree on.

The sky is falling! :Smile_teethhappy:

Nope, I never use it on any of my DDs and don't feel the need for it.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
Supertester
5,180 posts
9,036 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Your loss. 

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles

ha this thread is funny. This is exactly what I've been going through.

I've been playing my Sims without Last Stand (only in Co-ops -- I wouldn't do that in Randoms) because I'm trying to train up a Cruiser commander.

And it is miserable.

Trust me, speaking from recent experience: even in Co-op a destroyer without Last Stand is a dead destroyer.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,576 posts
12,427 battles
9 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Your loss. 

You would think so, and of all people who I should listen to, is probably you. With high alert and jack of all trades my repair times are 32. some odd seconds. Rarely do the engines and/or rudder go down again before the repair party is back on duty.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
12 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

BB4qxnF.gif?1

Edited by Wulfgarn

[TBW]
Members
6,576 posts
12,427 battles
2 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

BB4qxnF.gif?1

With high alert and jack of all trades my repair times are 32. some odd seconds. Rarely do the engines and/or rudder go down again before the repair party is back on duty.

[-K-]
Supertester
5,180 posts
9,036 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You would think so and of all people who I should listen to is probably you. with high alert and jack of all trades my repair times are 32. some odd seconds. Rarely do the engines and rudder go down again before the repair party is back on duty.

It's also largely dependent on how aggressive you are. If you put yourself in a position where you come under fire more frequently, the duration of a DCP cooldown is often the difference between life and death. For gunboat DDs or cap contesting DDs it's 100% necessary. Torp spamming DDs it's probably less necessary. But, then again, I gunboat a lot in my Yugumo and Shima... so it's still mandatory for my playstyle. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
7,021 battles

Fires increase detect range, you don't want to be seen do you?

As DDs only eat (mostly) healable damage, less heals on fires is more heals towards HE.

Edited by GoldPile

[TBW]
Members
6,576 posts
12,427 battles
2 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

It's also largely dependent on how aggressive you are. If you put yourself in a position where you come under fire more frequently, the duration of a DCP cooldown is often the difference between life and death. For gunboat DDs or cap contesting DDs it's 100% necessary. Torp spamming DDs it's probably less necessary. But, then again, I gunboat a lot in my Yugumo and Shima... so it's still mandatory for my playstyle. 

I also always run preventative maintenance before I run with priority target. I don't think many people do that either. Whats's your opinion on those two?