You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche

Problem with German 1914 dreadnoughts - Konig Klasse

23 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
944 battles

Quick question - how "normal" is it for a Konig Tier IV battleship to go down within 90 seconds from encountering 1 or 2 cruisers featuring 5.5 to 8 inch guns?

I just joined WoW 10 days ago. Am I doing something wrong? 

Thank you.

G. 

Members
9 posts
472 battles

I'm not sure how you can go down in 90 seconds in a battleship. 

When you're on fire you lose health overtime. Possibly more likely, you got hit by a torpedo and flooded out. Floods do a lot of damage over time. As a battleship you have a tool to stop fires and flooding, but it has a cool down so use it carefully. Battleships also have a repair tool to gain back hit points from fires and other damage, but not all kinds of damage.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,457 posts
6,801 battles

I would assume that you did a few mistakes, like following:

- You shot up the Tiers too fast. You advanced to T5 in very few games, and MM will now put you against T7 ships. I recommend that you get more used to the game and it‘s mechanics by taking a step back, playing the Kaiser a bit and perhabs also playing a few other lines to learn what your opponents can and can not do.

- With as few games you have, chances are high that your Commander is lacking important skills that you kind of need on a Battleship. Especially German Battleships want skills such as Adrenaline Rush, Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention.

Members
1,700 posts
5,144 battles
15 minutes ago, Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche said:

Quick question - how "normal" is it for a Konig Tier IV battleship to go down within 90 seconds from encountering 1 or 2 cruisers featuring 5.5 to 8 inch guns?

Thank you.

G. 

I'm not sure whether you are talking about the T4 Kaiser or the T5 Konig so I'm going to frame my answer on the assumption your talking about a T4 battleship. 

The answer is not horribly likely but not inconceivable either.  5.5 inch AP probably isn't going to do you much harm, but even destroyer caliber guns can set you on fire.  There are three fire areas on your ship so if all of them are burning and continue to burn that can cause a lot of damage fairly quickly.  I don't recall there being any 8 inch gun armed cruisers in the tiers a T4 battleship would encounter, I think the closest you can get is the T5 Kirov with her 7.1 inch guns.  However if you did somehow bet uptiered and had to face a T6 Pensacola, her 8 inch AP shells can penetrate parts of your armored scheme at fairly close range or possibly at longer range where her shells are plunging down on your deck rather that striking your vertical protection.  Of course for her to do most of these things you'd need to be exposing your flat broadside to her rather than your angled bow.

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Members
579 posts
3,478 battles

Even if you sat AFK I don't think tier 4 and 5  cruisers could kill a BB in 90 seconds. A little more info is needed to understand your situation.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles

i think the problem here is expectations. OP might be expecting that his big bad battleship should be a mighty juggernaut of destruction that can wither incoming fire for a long time while laying waste to all around him. That wouldn't make for an interesting game though, because why would anyone want to drive anything else than that mighty juggernaut, if that were the case. There has to be some measure of parity between the different ship types, which means that although in a 1v1 a battleship has an advantage over a same tier cruiser, the moment you put a single battleship against multiple cruisers that were probably higher tier than him too, the battleship melts fast.

Members
5 posts
944 battles

Tell you what. I will record the proceedings and analyze or maybe even post it for you gents to "dissect" it at will.

I will make sure not to expose my beam to enemy plunging fire and stay out of range as much as I can. This as you might know it's easier said than done. A BB will never outrun a DD or Cruiser.

[MLPVA]
Members
183 posts
2,960 battles
13 minutes ago, Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche said:

A BB will never outrun a DD or Cruiser.

That's not particularly true. The French battleships can haul [edited]. High-tier German battleships and the Iowa sisters are fairly speedy, too.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
421 posts
7,860 battles
30 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

Even if you sat AFK I don't think tier 4 and 5  cruisers could kill a BB in 90 seconds. A little more info is needed to understand your situation.

Probably could with torpedoes. With guns? 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles
Just now, DustRhino said:

With guns? 

Get set on 4 fires and have a cruiser farm normalpens off your superstructure. See how fast you melt.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
531 posts
4,665 battles

It sounds like you were caught out alone with no support (that the enemy could target) so they focused you down. It takes a good while to learn positioning to avoid that scenario.

Try to stay near friends so you can support them (and give the reds more targets). I know that is easier said than done, it takes practice.

Edited by MasterDiggs
  • Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,058 posts
12,968 battles
1 hour ago, Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche said:

Thank you.

G. 

Hi and welcome! 

First, this game has nothing to do with naval combat. Don NOT attempt to cross the T, that is the best way for one to get killed in this game. You should never be showing your broadsid in the game, but should be angled somewhere between headon and 60degrees to your enemy. If you are alone and get « focus fired » you will die fast. In a bb pressing R equals death, and you should never put out 1 fire unless you are completly hidden because in the minute or two it takes your R button to return, you will take full fire or flooding damage. Take some advantage of your gun range in bb to strike enemies from beyond their range, do not stay at extreme range as you will hit nothing, finding your sweetspot is key. Try to only engage one to two enemies max when you are learning or you will suffer the same fate, this means never be first in a cap, but also never be alone at the end of the match because you did not help your teammates.

search online and watch videos from notser, ichase etc. Read ship reviews from little white mouse. Good luck and enjoy!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
556 battles
48 minutes ago, Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche said:

A BB will never outrun a DD or Cruiser.

Iowa's faster than a lot of cruisers. And you can make her even faster with a speed flag. Then she's in DD territory.

Likewise, if you put a speed flag on Scharnhorst, she's faster than some cruisers. Same with Hood, Kongo and a handful of others.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,917 posts
15,675 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I don't recall there being any 8 inch gun armed cruisers in the tiers a T4 battleship would encounter, I think the closest you can get is the T5 Kirov with her 7.1 inch guns

Furataka carries 8 inch guns at tier 5. I believe she is the only one, however.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,291 posts
9,598 battles
1 hour ago, CorradoG60 said:

44 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

Probably could with torpedoes. With guns? 

This and all of the tier 4 & 5 and most of the tier 6 & 7 cruisers have them. Getting into a brawl with a any torpedo armed cruiser in a BB is going to be very painful for the BB if the cruiser gets it torpedoes off. With the low number of matches the OP has it is also likely he is using his damage control to quickly which means any later fires will burn for the full time.

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
944 battles

Thanks all. 

I believe I need to remain a destroyer or medium cruiser (non-torp) captain for a while before graduation to BB. I thought I had what it takes to master the game without doing the tutorial but I just found out I could fire a salvo and not just individual turrets. So, I have lots to learn. Thank you and as Admiral Farragut said at the Battle of New Orleans: Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! (PS Stay away from Japanese torps though. They pack quite a bite those Long Lances!)

the-battle-of-mobile-bay-admiral-farragut-aboard-the-hartford-ordering-BTK9Y4.jpg

Members
1,700 posts
5,144 battles
57 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Furataka carries 8 inch guns at tier 5. I believe she is the only one, however.

Thanks, I forgot about her.  

[SALVO]
Members
17,700 posts
18,486 battles
54 minutes ago, Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche said:

Thanks all. 

I believe I need to remain a destroyer or medium cruiser (non-torp) captain for a while before graduation to BB. I thought I had what it takes to master the game without doing the tutorial but I just found out I could fire a salvo and not just individual turrets. So, I have lots to learn. Thank you and as Admiral Farragut said at the Battle of New Orleans: Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! (PS Stay away from Japanese torps though. They pack quite a bite those Long Lances!)

Just an aside.  When Admiral Farragut said "Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead!", he was referring to mines.  In those days, mines were called "torpedoes".

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
944 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Just an aside.  When Admiral Farragut said "Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead!", he was referring to mines.  In those days, mines were called "torpedoes".

I knew that. They were not even contact mines but slow fuse mines of a primite design but quite effective. Remember the Housatonic!

I believe the first "modern" fish were designed by Whitehead in the 1870s in Pula, Slovenia (then KuK or Austro-Hungary). If I am not mistaken.

Edited by Gica_SansPeur_NiReproche

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,917 posts
15,675 battles
3 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Thanks, I forgot about her.  

Lots of players do ... until they meet her in a match.

Members
1,700 posts
5,144 battles
55 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Lots of players do ... until they meet her in a match.

Well she's like the Aoba but with really good torpedo arcs. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,917 posts
15,675 battles
4 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Well she's like the Aoba but with really good torpedo arcs. 

Yeah, that's true ... but what comes as a surprise is the waffle-stomping power of those 203s at tier 5 when players are used to 6 inch guns only.