Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

The "Comfort Factor"

5 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,953 posts
13,186 battles

Ever play a game where everything is going swell on your front, you're wearing down the outnumbered enemy in front of you, and you start the push..take the cap...and rejoice in the victory.  Only to look at the ship count and notice your team is down two to one in ships.  You are now outnumbered, focused, and destroyed. 

You've just fell victim to the "Comfort Factor".

I see this quite often when there are two symmetric caps, with an asymmetric red/green distribution.  Each team has an advantage at one cap and disadvantage at the other cap.  The problem is when the side with the advantage fails to realize the advantage.  Or, even worse, fails to realize his/her team is proportionally disadvantaged at the other cap. 

It is very comforting to be able to leisurely sit in an advantaged position and pick away at an inferior force.  The "Comfort Factor"!!!  And when performed with tunnel vision...looking only at the cap in front, and not the distribution of forces on the minimap...it sows the seeds of destruction.  

One simply cannot sit in comfort in an advantaged position at one cap, if one's other front is facing a superior force.  This is not time for comfort, but a call for action.  The advantaged flank must press the inferior force.  Turn the flank, and bring aid to, or take pressure off, the weak front.  A team that sits "in comfort" will almost always lose to the team that pushes their advantaged flank. 

So the next time you find yourself winning on your flank, comfortably exchanging salvos with a weaker enemy force....take time to look at the mini-map...what's happening on the other flank?  Don't fall for the "Comfort Factor".   Take the initiative.  Force the decision on your flank before the enemy does the same to you on your other flank.

• Cool 4

[LHG]
Members
1,213 posts
5,084 battles

Had a game like this just yesterday on Two Brothers, domination. I'm slowly pushing east with my Roma until I realize that our west flank has all but crumbled. I set up a defensive position just east of the home cap and to my surprise other teammates start forming up in the area as well (while a few smaller ships continue to drive through the collapsed east side). What's left of the western force links back up with the defense fleet, and the enemy team that was at first at significant advantage is completely repelled by a wall of armor and concentrated fire.

A decisive victory born out of map awareness and spontaneous teamwork.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The Comfort Factor is a Demon in disguise. It will possess your soul and hand you Defeat.  

There is no known exorcist to remove this Demon.

Although it doesn't come out every game it is always there watching.

QViEQCc.gif 

Sign in to follow this