Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nukelavee45

"I need support!"

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
1,335 posts
8,442 battles

There are times that message seriously vexes me -  and I don't simply mean people spamming it.

Had a match today in my Leander, where an Iron Duke kept specifically calling on me for support, right from the start until he died.  I was willing to support him, but he refused to actually give me a clue as to what he had planned, and what kind of support he wanted, and I asked him at least 5 or 6 times.  There were 4 cv's on teh map, and he and I were alone on the south end of the map.  I stayed in position to spot and screen, slowed down enough to offer AA support and possibly smoke, but it was a wasted effort, in that the Duke kept steaming further and further from the rest of the team.  Finally, I told him we needed to turn back (us vs 2 BB's and 3 CA's was a bad idea), but, alas, he kept steaming away, calling for support, until the CV's nuked him.

Folks - in that kinda case, tell your team mate what your plan is, help him help you. 

I try to help all I can, but I need some idea of your plan.  AND!  Asking for support while you do something foolish is a bit much - if you want to yolo and brawl in your BB, don't expect me to follow.

I'll give the Duke player this -  at least he called for help well before he was in obvious trouble.  Too many folks get salty because they scream for help and then rage when they die 10 seconds later.  In most cases like that, only  a detonation or 3 is going to save you, buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
199
[STW]
Members
660 posts
4,720 battles

"I need support!" is usually the F-key mating call of someone who is about to yolo.  I dunno what you want me to do man, I can't jump in front of the shells for you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
188
[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
614 posts

I hate DDs who call for support at the start, and then proceed to avoid any attempt at caping or spotting and immediately go hide behind an unimportant island far from an engagement zone and camp there. So what exactly were we supposed to support you with over there?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

I use the minimap to point where I would like support. 

  • D5 to F2
  • Need you guys there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I hate ships that request anti aircraft support when there isn't a single plane within 20km of them, and I know that for a fact, because I'm engaging all of the enemy CV's squadrons on the other side of the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,713 posts
6,424 battles

I like the guys who yell they need support and have either what is left of the entire team within 2 squares of them,  they have full health and already have support ships, and/or the only ones left alive are across the map.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
130
[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles

I think it's a bot, because I've run into that exact thing. It was a Duke of York that was off by himself just moving toward the enemy and sending "I need support." every minute or two. Didn't respond at all to chat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
231
[WPP]
Members
624 posts
6,245 battles

“I need support” is code for “I am pushing ahead even though I AM the support.”

9 out 10 times it is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
219
[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,169 battles

I dislike it when they hit the "I need support" button one second after the game has started.  They haven't even moved yet...

I do try to support folks, but support really depends on what ship you are in.  I cannot for example support an agile, speedy DD with a Nikolai...until 3-4 minutes later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[PSP]
Members
46 posts
10,297 battles

If I ask for support, it's usually because all of my teammates on that side of the map have been wiped out and I'm outnumbered.  I also try to add why I'm asking.  Most of the time I get support for which I am grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
146
[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles

The only time I even pay attention to such requests is either a DD setting up to run to a cap at the start of the game. Or any ship in our cap and a wall of red ships are heading for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
411
[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles

If I'm driving a DD I normally say on the chat where I'm going then hit the support button. Sometimes they answer sometimes they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

I hate ships that request anti aircraft support when there isn't a single plane within 20km of them, and I know that for a fact, because I'm engaging all of the enemy CV's squadrons on the other side of the map.

I had a BB tell me to spot the enemy DD... about two minutes after it sunk. Then he told me I suck. Which I agree, I am not great with Kaga compared to Ryujo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,497
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,671 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, Dareios said:

I hate DDs who call for support at the start, and then proceed to avoid any attempt at caping or spotting and immediately go hide behind an unimportant island far from an engagement zone and camp there. So what exactly were we supposed to support you with over there?

They usually call for support, see they're getting none, and then change their plans.

 

Would you rather they yolo'd to their death because you were too lazy or tunnel-visioned to get into a position that could help them cap?

 

The answer is yes, apparently.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
6 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I had a BB tell me to spot the enemy DD... about two minutes after it sunk. Then he told me I suck. Which I agree, I am not great with Kaga compared to Ryujo.

I may have played with that BB as well! For me, it was on North, BB pings a spot on the map, and asks me to spot the DD. I tell him all the DDs have been sunk. BB pings again "right there" so I relent, send planes that way and reply that's a myoko cruiser, it can't stealth torp you. I'm going back to helping the guys in need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544
[WOLF4]
Members
1,222 posts
2,784 battles
3 hours ago, Deviathan said:

"I need support!" is usually the F-key mating call of someone who is about to yolo.  I dunno what you want me to do man, I can't jump in front of the shells for you.

Yeah this here. Every time i hear the "I need support" its coming from someone making a push against the enemy, usually alone and usually too far away to actually support. Had one guy in an Alsace spam that and say it was better to head right at the enemy to get this with over fast. Naturally he died without taking anyone with him.

I think in all the time i've played i've only seen that used a few times in the right situation.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
195
[CAST]
Members
1,268 posts
7,787 battles

In most of the WOWS games, "I need support" roughly translated means "get in front of me so that they shoot you instead of me".

Edited by Murcc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
8,442 battles
2 hours ago, MarshalSqueez said:

I think it's a bot, because I've run into that exact thing. It was a Duke of York that was off by himself just moving toward the enemy and sending "I need support." every minute or two. Didn't respond at all to chat. 

I wondered that, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,259
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
3 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I think in all the time i've played i've only seen that used a few times in the right situation.

I've used it once. I remember, because I had to look up which f-key it was to use it. Standard battle on land of fire, I was one of 4 ships on the west flank, 2 get sunk, and we are retreating. By the time I am entering our cap, I decide typing in chat isn't getting enough attention, and break out the f-key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
8,442 battles
2 hours ago, Ken220_2016 said:

If I ask for support, it's usually because all of my teammates on that side of the map have been wiped out and I'm outnumbered.  I also try to add why I'm asking.  Most of the time I get support for which I am grateful.

If I'm close enough, and have any hope of making a difference, I help.

Sometimes all it takes is adding a target to spread enemy damage out,or to distract them.  Even if I/you can help get one green ship out of a collapsing flank, that can  be a game changer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

When I see "I need Support" in chat ....I think this guy wants everyone to die for him and damage all the ships so he has easy kills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,072 posts
5,083 battles
3 hours ago, Deviathan said:

"I need support!" is usually the F-key mating call of someone who is about to yolo.  I dunno what you want me to do man, I can't jump in front of the shells for you.

Yea I don't understand what people want you to do after they get themselves into a situation where 7 people can focus you.  Asking for support at that point?  What do you want us to do, call the cops to report your ongoing assault?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
188
[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
614 posts
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

They usually call for support, see they're getting none, and then change their plans.

 

Would you rather they yolo'd to their death because you were too lazy or tunnel-visioned to get into a position that could help them cap?

 

The answer is yes, apparently.

and they somehow can decide in the first 30 seconds of the game that the 4 ships behind them are in fact not paying attention and wont shoot anything that is spotted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×