supertonic

Screen Turns Solid Purple

5 comments in this topic

[SPTF]
Members
18 posts
16,535 battles

This past week after 0.7.5 update and NVIDIA driver update, the game crashes upon entering the port or during game play. I hear a click sound and the monitor screen turns one of the following colors, purple, orange, black, white blue or green. The entire screen turns solid color with nothing else visible. At this point clt alt del does not work and I have to reboot the PC. I have been having this problem for a year but not to this degree. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. My PC is Intel Core (TM), i5-4690K CPU, 3.5 GHz , 8 GB ram, 64-bit op sys, x64 based processor.

I have submitted tickets several times and run WG tool and other that WG recommended. They suggested several setting changes which I have done but the problem persists. NVIDIA has also suggested setting changes but the problem persists. Here are some of the settings I am using: Post processing is off, I have audio and graphics set to low. Made sure game is allowed in firewall. antialiasing 4x, override mode, filtering 4x, cache off, texture filtering sample off, negative lod to clamp, trilinear on, triple buffering off, power mode to max prefer, thread off, vertical sync off, max rendered to 3, etc.

I am running WG game center with wows and wows pt. I uninstalled tanks and planes to see if that would help but no (also tanks and planes crash too). I am using a standard Microsoft key board and mouse. Other programs on my PC are Window10 and system mechanic to perform routine defrag, etc. IP is Spectrum.

At this point, the game is unplayable and this is the last hope for a resolution. WG and I have gone around and around with no resolution. They are blaming my PC or internet connection. I have no problem using the internet and going to youtube and other sites. I tried running just ships without the game center and nothing but crashes. I uninstalled NVIDIA g-force overlay and ships still crashes on every try. Based on the fact that tanks and planes crash and the crashes increased after NVIDIA update there must be some problem with driver software and WG compatibility? Unfortunately for me neither company has an answer. So I am asking for help. 

supertonic

I have tried uninstalling many times but the crashes continue.

Edited by supertonic
added info

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
203 posts

Problem is your hardware is not coping with high performance games.

What is your power supply rating?  I use a 1200w supply in a machine that uses about 650 w.  High peak loads are no problem,  runs cooler, lasts longer, less problems.

Once I know the supply is good, the next thing I would do is switch graphics cards to an AMD.  Forget the hype as you're not running a high performance gaming machine.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,899 posts
11,620 battles
35 minutes ago, Dadrox said:

Problem is your hardware is not coping with high performance games.

What is your power supply rating?  I use a 1200w supply in a machine that uses about 650 w.  High peak loads are no problem,  runs cooler, lasts longer, less problems.

Once I know the supply is good, the next thing I would do is switch graphics cards to an AMD.  Forget the hype as you're not running a high performance gaming machine.

1200 W for a 650 W machine is extreme overkill. A quality 750 W unit would accomplish the same thing for a lot less money. As for the AMD Nvidia argument, use what works for you and you certainly don't need a high end card for this game, my GTX 760 pulls a steady 75 fps on high settings.

[SPTF]
Members
18 posts
16,535 battles

Thanks for the help. I have a 600 W power supply. I cleaned the inside of the case and fan.Tried running ships on very low settings and with low sound volume and the game ran one match and has crashed every time since. Sometimes it crashes even in the port. I guess upgrade the power supply, then the video card or buy a new computer. Any last thoughts.

supertonic

Supertester
226 posts
6,124 battles

First thing I would do, before any new purchase, do a complete uninstall anything NVIDIA and shutdown (make sure it's a cold shut down). Before you power back on, plug your monitor or Main monitor into any onboard graphics controller and try and run the game. You will likely need to run in low settings, but just as a test to check to see if it was the vid card/drivers vs some other hardware issue. If this works, plug your monitor back into the NVIDIA and load the drivers again from a new download. Make sure, when you install use Custom and do a Fresh install.